CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Fired up my Turbo Deisel today

Old 05-15-2017, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Fired up my Turbo Deisel today

Hi Folks,

Wife and I took the CLK 55 down to Tampa prior weekend for a concert. I like Joe Walsh She likes Tom Petty it worked out perfect.It was relatively a short trip around 1.5 hr but what a rump roast.

It was fast and furious but I was longing for the ride of my W124 which had hydraulic suspension. It literately turns the road into a piece of glass and all are fresh when arriving to destination.

My W124 Wagon has a few problems but I am giving in. It was worth the ride. Trans leak and PS leaks took it off the road back in 2012. Found my AMG.

Connected the battery today and repaired a couple of wires, It cranked up after half revolution. The turbo swills loud and the idle is like new.

These turbo diesels under full boost were 400 hp but it took a while to get there. Aneroid and pump nozzle tweaking made the fun and efficient but not as strong as the later Gassers.

Thought I would share my thoughts on a missed Mercedes Classic. I am going to bring it back though. There is no car that you can buy that rides this good.

Sitting for some time cranked up and turbo spooling like new.

Chime in if you have a special ride like the W124 TD that keeps you in the past "Ian Anderson"

All the Best, Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 05-15-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:39 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Sounds good Gator. Can never give up on old school hey.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
Gator, good to see that you are keeping busy. I'm a diesel guy at heart. I'm all in with you on your resurrection of this classic. While I am a charter member of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it " club, an idea popped into my head when you mentioned boost. Again as it sounds like just a little more *** would make your smooth as glass ride perfect, why not add a tastefully matched smaller turbo to help his older brother along, i.e. a compound setup? Not anything crazy just something smaller, matched to what you have that would kick in, e.g. at 1k revs and get you on boost until your current guy kicks in at 2.5k revs, again for example. Of course the devil is in the details and we have to bring in the turbo fellas and their slide rules and turbo maps to figure out what matched exactly, who made it and where to get it. When the dust settles I bet that you could probably pick up what you need from a decent salvage yard....just saying. Anyway noodle that around a bit over coffee this morning. Cheers!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the in put CR havent seen you in here for some time.

Never considered going smaller which makes sense. I have a OEM Garret on it now which has a larger flow I/O than the optional KKK Mercedes OEM Turbo charger. In vintage threads on dynoed cars the KKK performed better.

One incredible note about this car. It is a survivor, It can be push started in 2nd gear, and will get you home with no alternator charge at all. I did it one morning after work. had just enough battery to start the engine. There is a ECU for idle circuit only no electronics. I had a clutch driven fan at the time.

I have read about super turbo diesel built by the Fins and they went larger in the turbos but a smaller one might make it more desirable for commuting.

Best, Gator
Old 05-19-2017, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
...400hp??
Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 PM

Gator, yeah I moved farther out of the city and found that a pickup truck was the most practical addition to the stable so I have had my head stuck in the resto/refurb/mod of a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 running a Cummins 6BT turbocharged diesel engine!! Given that I am mostly done with the upgrades on the 55 I need to push through the rest of the Dodge project to get to regularly scheduled PM nirvana on both, lol.

On your turbos I was really giving you two thoughts, a) you could replace the current turbo with a smaller one to come on boost sooner or (b) keep the cyrrent turbo and add asecond, matching smaller turbo to your current setup resulting in a compound setup. You get on boost sooner this way and lose none of the top end of your current setup.
The following users liked this post:
GatorMB (05-20-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by City Rat
Gator, yeah I moved farther out of the city and found that a pickup truck was the most practical addition to the stable so I have had my head stuck in the resto/refurb/mod of a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 running a Cummins 6BT turbocharged diesel engine!! Given that I am mostly done with the upgrades on the 55 I need to push through the rest of the Dodge project to get to regularly scheduled PM nirvana on both, lol.

On your turbos I was really giving you two thoughts, a) you could replace the current turbo with a smaller one to come on boost sooner or (b) keep the cyrrent turbo and add asecond, matching smaller turbo to your current setup resulting in a compound setup. You get on boost sooner this way and lose none of the top end of your current setup.
Inline turbos, like the 335i
GatorMB (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Im not interested in modifying the diesel but here are some examples of some brothers developing up to 1000 hp in the W124 chassis.

The last CDI L6 24 valve shipped to the states advertises 450 hp on the engine ID tag.

I believe early ratings like my own wer measured @ the flywheel and not the rear wheels like we do today.

These are a lot of fun to watch and turbo diesel is an extremely well engineered engine ready for almost anything.

Mercedes will stop shipping Diesels to the USA soon from a lot of political controversy from VW alleged Code tampering. I worked for VW dealership in the 80's and did much calibration of the CIS injection systems. If any coding poor coding was done it was likely from the dealership. as ordered.

I am not giving up my AMG for the Diesel but it held a special thought when so little effort was required to wake it up.

A very special Mercedes Turbo Diesel can be viewed in the old movie Driven W Sly Stalone.
I have some real good links to the folks in Finland who pioneered the most potent of them but not on this PC

Enjoy.

Last edited by GatorMB; 05-20-2017 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added content
Old 05-20-2017, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by City Rat

Good to hear from you Bro, It is a Blessing to get away from the Rif/Raf and a longer commute gives one driver pleasure, country roads provide some sporting fun until you follow a horse trailer through the twisties.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by GatorMB
Good to hear from you Bro, It is a Blessing to get away from the Rif/Raf and a longer commute gives one driver pleasure, country roads provide some sporting fun until you follow a horse trailer through the twisties.

Very, very true. If it wasn't for the pop up deer, the tractors and yep the horse trailers, driving out here would be off the hook. That said even going at half the speed that the car and these roads are capable of handling is a blast. Now that I live out here I can see why so many guys with Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos live out in this area, (not in my neighborhood though, lol) its one of the few areas where you can actually drive them. looking forward to hearing how the wake up of your turbo diesel goes.
GatorMB (05-21-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This Video packs some punch for the AMG Engineering folks.

Looking forward to watching the Indy Race and the Nascar Coke 600 on Sunday.

I have not reviewed the car maker line up but there was no Mercedes last year as Formula 1 is more refined world class racing.

My Blessings to all soldiers past and present this coming Memorial day.

Cheers

Last edited by GatorMB; 05-27-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
There are days I miss my W124 kombi too