CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Looking to buy...Have questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy...Have questions?

I am looking into buying a used 01 or 02 CLK 55 and had some general questions

Is there much change from the model year 2001 and 2002 CLK 55?

Were there any problems which would make the 2002 more appealing?

Any other general thoughts one should know regarding these cars?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55 AMG
Hi Torptang,
I purchased a 2001 CLK55 in Jan. of this year. I am unaware of any changes between the '01 and '02 model years. However, I think they wheels may be a different style but they are the same size. I am sure Improviz or one of the other regulars on this board could give you more deatails. I haven't heard of any inherent problems regarding either model years. I can also say that you will not be disapointed with the CLK55. They are magnificent vehicles. As a matter of fact, if finances allow, I doubt if I will ever buy a non AMG vehicle ever again. Have you driven one yet???? If you do, you'll buy one!
Old 05-07-2004, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the insight... I have not driven one yet, but will be this afternoon. I am also looking to the M3's and S4's. I am sure each has its own likes and dislikes.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55 AMG
All very nice cars. I looked at all of them as well but.... it was an easy decision for me. I drove the 55 last and was sold. Are you looking at the new '04 M3 and '04 S4? I am assuming that you are because you can get a new M3 and S4 for the price of a used 55. Remember that something like 1000 CLK55s are imported each year. If you want something unique, more powerful and more luxurious I'd go with the 55. Have you driven the M3 and S4 yet? What are the top 3 attributes that you are looking for in your new car?
Old 05-07-2004, 06:02 PM

All very nice cars. I looked at all of them as well but.... it was an easy decision for me. I drove the 55 last and was sold. Are you looking at the new '04 M3 and '04 S4? I am assuming that you are because you can get a new M3 and S4 for the price of a used 55. Remember that something like 1000 CLK55s are imported each year. If you want something unique, more powerful and more luxurious I'd go with the 55. Have you driven the M3 and S4 yet? What are the top 3 attributes that you are looking for in your new car?

I am looking at the M3 from '02 up...they raised the prices it '04 it seems. The S4 is the new one. I have driven the S4 and was impressed with its power and interior, but I think the thought of a first year car is keeping me from them. The M3 I plan to drive soon as well as the 55. One thing I have always had is a manual tranny, so I'm not sure how much that will detract from the 55?

I totally agree regarding the uniqueness of the 55, especially in certain colors. I like the blue's so I have been trying to find them anywhere. There are alot of M3's on the road and BMW was trying to tell me how good their resale value is. Well I see alot less 55's for sale or on the road!

I would say what I am looking for is longevity/quality, performance and luxury. From seeing all of these cars, the 55's definitely seem to have the upperhand on luxury, as for the others, I have yet to determine.

What was it that you didnt like about the M3 and S4 which led you to finally getting the 55?

Also as far as mileage goes...would 30k be alot for an '01. I know that is about average as far as driving, but as far as degredation of the car..im sure it depends alot on previous owners as well. I am looking closely at some in FLorida, which I may fly down to get, so Im sure the quality of life for a car there is better.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Re: Looking to buy...Have questions?

Originally posted by torptang
I am looking into buying a used 01 or 02 CLK 55 and had some general questions

Is there much change from the model year 2001 and 2002 CLK 55?

Were there any problems which would make the 2002 more appealing?

Any other general thoughts one should know regarding these cars?

Thanks in advance

Essentially the cars were unchanged, with the exception of a few minor things:

1. Center Caps (I know, BIG deal :p ) The '01 CLKss had the all plastic painted center caps. For '02 Mercedes-Benz went with center caps that had a chrome star on them (MB did this on all their cars to my knowledge starting in '02).

2. Sometime between '01-'02, the W208 CLK received an added safety feature: An internal trunk release button that glows for about 30 minutes after the trunk is closed.....great for when your your friends play pranks on you

3. Ski Sack standard. This was an option on the '01 and you had to purchase a package which made this option more expensive.

In the 2001 CLK55 catalog, there is an option for an "Exclusive Leather" interior option. This was basically a leather dash and console. This option was discontinued and not offered for 2002.

There is really nothing else (problem-wise) any different from a CLK430 or CLK320 for the respective years.

Brake pads, rotors and anything stamped (or with an AMG part number) will be expensive to replace. Opt for an extended warranty/Starmark if possible.

One nice thing about the CLK55.....it's fast and comes LOADED with just about all the available options that came on the 208s (there were standard....pneumatic seats, nappa leather, xenon leadlamps, rear sunshade, blue tinted glass, etc. etc.)

There were only three major options for this car: COMAND, Phone/Voice Activation and a CD changer.

Good luck and welcome to MB World

Last edited by Chappy; 05-07-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55 AMG
I understand wanting to have a manual tranny. I was in the same boat. I stress, WAS in the same boat. I know it is fun driving a manual and people say they are faster when compared to an auto. What I have learned is that unless you truely are a professional driver, the auto will be as fast or faster than an auto. Just think, if you get the 55 you won't have to worry about the shifting. You just kick back in your 10 way adjustable seats with the air bolsters comfortably supporting your *** and back. If you want to down shift, floor it. Let the 342HP and 376Pds of torque do the rest. You can also use the tranny in manual shift mode. I am loving not having to shift. In regards to your 3 attributes: There is no question that the 55 quality is hands down superior. Did you know that the 55 engine is sent to AMG where it is bored out, ported and polished and balanced and blueprinted. Each engine is built by hand by a single master mechanic, one engine one builder. The suspension and exhaust are also upgraded. The engines are designed to last forever. They only use synthetic oil and the recommended oil changes are 10-12K miles. Don't worry about oil changes becasue the car tells you when you need one. This is a low stressed V8 engine that delivers power at all RPMs not just at high RPMs like the M3. M3s have also had major engine recalls. The body styling and interior speak for themselves. Let me know what you think. Performace... I know that that some of the mags have the M3 at slightly faster than the 55. This is because of the tire spin on acceleration and a professional driver maximizing the manual tranny. Most people here have real world experience against M3s and guess who wins. There are dozens of posts on the M3 boards admitting to getting beat by a 55. As far as luxury goes... Is there any question? When you hear the rumble of the 55 at 3000 RPMs or higher, you won't believe it. Also, on your test drive please note the ESP button. With it on the car will not break loose. If you stab the throttle with it on, the car will bog to keep traction. With it off, you will smoke the tires or take off like a rocket. Alot of people upgrade to wider rear tires to reduce this problem. The car is fast. You'll see. I don't think that 30K is high mileage for a 55. Again, they are hand built motors and built to last with the highest quality parts. AMG is race proven. My buddy is a mechanic at Smythe European, a huge MBZ dealership here and has told me time and time again that the AMG engines are bullet proof. If you are worried about the mileage, buy an extended warranty through MBZ. I think I paid about $1700 for a three year. My car was Starmark certified. Can you tell that I am a satisfied customer?
Old 05-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55 AMG
Hey Chappy,
Pneumatic seats? I don't think mine has them. I read that they came with them but if mine has them, I don't know how to work them. Any insight you may have would be appreciated.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Almost a Member!

04 CLK55
M3 or clk

the M3 is VERY different to the CLK55. Think of track car versus GT.

Having owned both cars I would say the M3 is a luxury sports car while the CLK55 is a luxury car with sports performance.

If you want primarily want luxury the M3 will definitely disappoint you. If you want a hard line sports car at the expense of comfort the M3 is for you.

Dont know much about the S4 as I think it looks too similar to a passat or skoda octavia. My wife has an A3 and the build quality is better than Mercedes and BMW but thats it. The BMW has excellent steering/handling while the Merc has a great engine and does everything else reasonably well.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally posted by monoblockz
Hey Chappy,
Pneumatic seats? I don't think mine has them. I read that they came with them but if mine has them, I don't know how to work them. Any insight you may have would be appreciated.
The controls are between the seat and the transmission tunnel. You just have to play with them to find the most comfortable setting for you
Old 05-07-2004, 10:16 PM

CLS550
i'm guessing you looked at the '01 CLK55 @ American Service Center if you want a starmarked car. That car has been there if it is still there for at least a month.

if only it was there 8 months ago, miles a lil high (30K) i believe but not really for a 3 yr old car. but i believe you can get a pretty good deal on it. its blk/blk, askin $45K.

good luck.