CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Just Brought CLK 55 - Lots of issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 55
Just Brought CLK 55 - Lots of issues

Hi everyone - I've just purchased a 2003 CLK 55 with 80k on the clock. I only paid £4000 for it, which, was cheap, BUT, the car needs some TLC.

In short, the car was in very good condition (bodywork wise) but, there were a few mechanical gremlins which came to haunt me a day after I brought it.

Here is a shot of it >

However, less than a day into ownership, at 80mph the bonnet catches failed and the bonnet flipped up - this was the outcome

So basically, I've brought a lemon.

Today, I took the bonnet off in preparation for repair. I now know why the bonnet catches failed, the car has had a front end impact (unrecorded) and as such, the bonnet catches were not working properly.

I noticed on the bonnet catches that the bolts were a mix of old and new - the car has had a front end smash and has been bodged back together.

My question is, do I sort it or let it go?

The car has done 80K, has most of its service history and the exterior and interior are in very good condition, however, prior to the bonnet flipping up it also had a knocking issue.

Basically, if you put it from park into DRIVE or REVERSE there would be a firm "clunk". This same clunk would also happen on hard acceleration and engine braking, but, if you drove smoothly there would be no clunk and the gearbox changes are smooth.

I've got a new windscreen coming tuesday from Autoglass (thank god for my insurance), and I've found another bonnnet on ebay along with the hinges and gas struts, so I'm confident I can get it all back together, but, I'm unsure whether to invest in the car and sort the issues out, or, whether the damage and the issues warranty letting the car go?

Mechnically, everything works, the car starts and drives perfectly, but, my concern is the knock as well as the bent front crash bar and dodgy wiring?

My questions:

1. Should I sort it all out sequentially ( I love the car, I love a challenge and I don't mind spending money on it)
2. Should I change the front crash bar? is there anything else I should look for?
3. It looks like the loom is damaged - it's been taped up as per the picture above, again, no issues electrically, but, unsure about the future?
4. The "CLUNK" what could this be? Today whilst jacked up we started the car and put it in drive, the clunk was clearly audible from the back - again, the symptoms are CLUNK on change from NEUTRAL to DRIVE or PARK and a knock on acceleration / deceleration
5. The roof is very very lightly dented (surface dent) - can this be fixed?

The car is a beautiful piece of AMG engineering, I'd hate to let it go to waste, but my concern is the existing damage and the financial viability of sorting it all out?
Old 10-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
05 W211 E500, 03 C215 CL55 AMG
Swapping front crash bar is relatively easy.

The clunk could be as simple as a motor/trans mount or driveshaft mounts.

If the car is clean everywhere else, repair it.

Anyways, always check for crash damage on cars.

The first pic you posted shows obvious damage. I'm surprised you didn't catch it.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
clunk sounds like engine mounts...when first put strain on them, engine twists a little resulting in noise...not sure if your "clunk" is the same
Old 10-23-2019, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
$4k with 80k miles... Cheap money for a nice coupe with a good strong motor in it. If your handy and like to wrench should be pretty straight forward stuff to get thru... Except for this this new damage with the hood
Old 10-24-2019, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W163 ML55 AMG
hi mate,

nice car where about are you mate, im in suffolk and know a indi repair place cheap and high quality.
i know my 209s as well and have had a few. i currently own a 208 55.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:32 PM

CLK 55
Hi - yeah I am thinking of changing the crash bar over - the left hand bonnet mount isn't catching - the slam panel looks slightly bent up on the left hand side, wondering if that is stopping it latching?

Car is clean elsewhere!

I know - I was besotted with the car when I saw it, such a low price for so much car, even if I had spotted I probably would have taken anyway
Old 10-31-2019, 02:34 PM

CLK 55
Originally Posted by cindyclk
clunk sounds like engine mounts...when first put strain on them, engine twists a little resulting in noise...not sure if your "clunk" is the same
I checked, the engine mounts seem OK. Bonnet up, foot on brake, put into drive and lightly accelerate, hardly any engine flex.

We jacked the car off the ground, found the clunk is coming from the rear when you put into DRIVE or REVERSE.

What is interesting is if it is in NEUTRAL and you put into DRIVE it will clunk, if you put it back into NEUTRAL and then DRIVE again, it doesn;t clunk. Same for reverse. Something is taking slack and then tightening up? could it be the propshaft doughnut? I think its called a guibo?
Old 10-31-2019, 02:36 PM

CLK 55
Originally Posted by BigJimmyLarge
hi mate,

nice car where about are you mate, im in suffolk and know a indi repair place cheap and high quality.
i know my 209s as well and have had a few. i currently own a 208 55.
Hi bud

I am in Pulloxhill Bedfordshire.

I am looking to sort the front end out. I've managed to fix the bonnet, mounts, structs and windscreen within 1 week.

BUT, I put the new bonnet on, I cannot for the life of me get it to line up. Also, the left hand bonnet catch isn;t working properly? the front left hand side of the slam panel is slightly bent upwards, wondering if that is causing the issue?
Old 10-31-2019, 02:41 PM

CLK 55
So within 1 week I've managed to sort it all out. It's not the same as it was as the replacement bonnet I got off ebay is fairly well stone chipped - Plus, I have fitted it, it doesn't align all that well. I've tried lining it up but its a nightmare. I've now got the original issue again where the right hand bonnet catch works fine but the left does not. If I push the left hand side of t he bonnet down into the catch it won't latch and hold. I noticed the front SLAM panel is slightly bent on the left hand side, BUT, the catch appears to line up OK?

When the windscreen was smashed, I took the bonnet off and started going through everything - I was surprised, NO oil leaks or weeps from the rocker cover gasket -

I only paid £4k, it has most of its service history and is surprisingly clean, not one ounce of rust on the body or around the engine, nominal surface rust on slam panel but other than that really clean.

87k miles on the clock.

The only bits that need doing are discs and pads........
Old 10-31-2019, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Keep it, Fix it, and zoom zoom!
R
2MERKS
Old 01-29-2020, 01:52 AM

CLK 55 AMG
I'd say keep it and go through it slowly until you have sorted everything. They are getting so rare these days. My 55 was also a cheap one and over the last 6 months I've gradually replaced, upgraded and improved all the crappy bits. It'll be worth it in the end.