CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Help Needed W208 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2020 | 12:43 PM

2001 clk 55 amg
Help Needed W208 AMG

Hey guys I dropped the read subframe on the 2001 CLK55 AMG. At this point that differential sucks and I don't really feel like dealing with any of the bushings to be honest.

joejernst had been able to buy a whole rear end setup ready to go. I've done a bit of research but hoping some one could chime in.

what other cars rear ends come with different difs I could drop into the car? Would any coding have to be done to engine/trans when changing diffs?

anyone think there's anyone out there who has something pre made with some upgraded bushings?

I hate dealing with shops. Other option would be to just buy a used one have it sent to a shop and have bushings pressed then buy all new arms and get a dif with lsd. what's my best bet on lsd swap diff?

need to get this done ASAP guy as car needs to move from where it is 😂

thanks!!
Old 01-20-2020 | 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
Sorry to bring bad news, but you will not find an "easy" solution. I was lucky and got the whole unit from Alex (2Precise) because he was going full tube-chassis and had his custom setup for sale. The diff is out of a Chrysler SRT8, and it "bolts in", but it requires custom offset bushings to mount the diff. You also need custom axles with speed sensor rings built in. Also re-splined wheel hubs. It's also advisable to do custom toe and camber links if you are going to put a lot of power to it.

If enough people request it, we might be able to get Creative Steel to make a kit.

Last edited by JoeJErnst; 01-20-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2020 | 01:17 PM

2001 clk 55 amg
Hey Joe, yeah definitely stinks to hear. It looks like this company makes fully adjustable all rear links and arms for the rear ends of our cars, strange you don't see them anywhere on the forums, haha they are out of derby CT.

my biggest issue is just getting the old bushings out and new in. The only way which really makes sense is with a press.

so now that that's out. What's my best bet for new diff/axles and whatever sort of tranny tune I would have to get?
Old 01-20-2020 | 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is a special tool for removing and installing the four subframe-to-body bushings. You'll need that.

Since you have the subframe out, check the bushings on the diff mounts and all of the suspension links and replace what's worn out. Then just put it back in the car. Getting any sort of upgraded diff or axles will require months of lead time and research trying to find someone to do it.

Creative Steel is in Salem Oregon and they make diff swap kits for the CTS-V, as well as various bits and pieces for our Mercedes. They do not currently make a diff swap kit for the 208 chassis, but they have my old subframe to use as a jig for R&D, so you may be able to talk Josh into doing something if enough people request it.
Old 01-20-2020 | 01:50 PM

2001 clk 55 amg
Great advice joe and you're completely right.

I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the tool. I see a bunch of different options. It would be great to find one that would take care of all the bushings which at point I might as well do.

front/rear lemfoerder as that's all fcp euro has as well as the lemf. Full read end refresh kit they carry.

as far as tools I have seen these.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...CABEgKCzfD_BwE

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/schwaben-silent-block-tool-set/024979sch01a/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkL6juuqS5wIVxcDACh3qgAf7EAQYASA BEgI8WvD_BwE

would be best to go with fcp euro but I'm unsure how versatile that tool is. The Schwann one looks pretty good though.

does anyone have any experience or suggestions on exact one to use?

thanks!

and shoutout creative steel I wish them or anyone else made poly subframe bushings for these cars other than strongflexuk!!!

Old 01-20-2020 | 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have never replaced those bushings, so I have no experience with which tool to use. I'm pretty sure it's specific to those bushings though. Make triple sure you order the right tool!
Old 01-20-2020 | 10:57 PM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Re rear subframe Bushings for W208

As shown in attached instruction sheet we do make for the W204 series.

COMPLETE WITH BUSH EXTRACTION TOOL!!
(which saves a lot of extra hassle).

Regretfully currently do not make for W208

BUT FOR W208 WHAT WE DO MAKE IS:

FRONT REPLACEMENT BUSHING KIT - current generation features:

1. Doubles the existing Camber and Caster adjustment range

2. Replaces the 4 front major (highest wearing) bushings at the same time.

3. Is precise single wrench adjustable (under load - direct on alignment rack)

4. Bush extraction tool supplied - so no need for arm removal or special tools.
Kit P/N 502016 J $380

REAR REPLACEMENT BUSHING KIT.:

5. Similar features to front (also bush extraction tool - fit on vehicle)

6. Includes "EXTRA" Toe adjustment to compensate for the new rear Camber facility.

7. The KMAC rear design adjusts lower arms (not top) advantage is more track width or if wanting to reduce costly, premature inner edge tire wear importantly retains top of tire to outer fender clearance.
P/N 502026 H $320 set
(W208 convertible rear kit 501426i $345)

Delivery $40 one kit ($60 F/R).

Click the link below for instruction sheet
https://imgur.com/mBiBZTW
Old 01-21-2020 | 10:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55 C63
We are actively working on an SRT rear diff conversion. We are making the front subframe bar for the top mount point and an additional bracket for strength.