CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Anyone able to place this noise? (Rotational/Reciporical, Undercarriage)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 12:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG
Anyone able to place this noise? (Videos)

Hi All,

Had a noise come up the other day, noticed after the car had been driven for an hour or so, and left running for about 30 minutes in a parking lot. Heard it on the highway on the way home, pulled over, looked underneath the car, etc.

Got it home and put the car up on ramps, both front and back. Undercladding has a couple of spots that were roughed up, but nothing making this noise. Video below.

It sounds like it’s coming from underneath the car, rotational/reciporical, starts around 18mph+, continues in Neutral whole rolling, and sounds like a rock rolling around a tin can. I have heard of the e-brake cable clip breaking and touching the driveshaft, which it may be, but I have also drove down the road “dragging” the e-brake by depressing the pedal to tighten the cable up. No dice.

Let me know if you have any ideas what it can be. I’ve gotten it up in ramps but will not be able to get it on a lift until Tuesday/Wednesday.

http://www.youtube.com/?v=S2zz_Wf-UQ4
Http://www.YouTube.com?v=S2zz_Wf-UQ4

Last edited by 04CLK5.4; 06-02-2020 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:47 AM

2004 CLK55 AMG
Another video here! Taken today, next to a fence to rebound the sound. It sounds like it could be under the left front side, but I’m not sure. Definitely sounds a little nasty and isn’t translating well through video.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK55 AMG
I had a similar noise on my 55 which I would describe as a metallic rattling noise. The issue was the secondary cats. The honeycomb structure had disintegrated and was making the noise under certain conditions.

If you knock the secondary cats whilst the car is off with a rubber mallet, you will know if they are at fault. The fix for mines was to empty out the cats as opposed to replacing them.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:28 PM

2004 CLK55 AMG
Thanks for the input!

Since I posted last I did a couple of things;

Got it up on the rack. A couple areas where the cladding was loose, but secured those- noise is still there. Didnt see anything like the E brake cable touching the driveshaft, which is what i was thinking it may have been.

Does anyone have a video of what it sounds like when a flex disc is bad? The sounds seems to be coming from the transmission/driveshaft assembly

I went to a parking lot and got it up to speed and killed the engine, noise still persists. Which makes me think that it would be a transmission/driveshaft issue.

Any suggestions helpful!
Old 06-04-2020, 06:16 PM

CLK55 AMG
One more thing to check would be the centre mount rubber bush.

the symptoms of this would be a flapping noise and slight vibration.

Here is a pic of mines which I still need to change but garages are still closed.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:19 PM

CLK55 AMG
Also worth checking the transmission and engine mounts if you have not done so already.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:32 PM

2004 CLK55 AMG
Appreciate the tip on the ring, I’m assuming I need to drop the exhaust for that?

the transmission mount looked good, tech said that the motor mounts looked okay as well, but need to check with the car running for sure.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:12 PM

CLK55 AMG
Yes, the exhaust does need to be dropped to change the centre mount but the it can be visually checked by removing the undertrays. If you do need to change the mount then it is recommended to change the bearing as well and as you will be removing the prop shaft, the flex discs will need to come off. They can be changed too but they are pretty expensive, Mercedes want Just under £400 For both front and rear. I had my mechanic check mines and his advice was that they were fine. This was before the lockdown and now I am waiting for them to open up again to get the work done.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:42 AM

2004 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_CLK55_AMG
Yes, the exhaust does need to be dropped to change the centre mount but the it can be visually checked by removing the undertrays. If you do need to change the mount then it is recommended to change the bearing as well and as you will be removing the prop shaft, the flex discs will need to come off. They can be changed too but they are pretty expensive, Mercedes want Just under £400 For both front and rear. I had my mechanic check mines and his advice was that they were fine. This was before the lockdown and now I am waiting for them to open up again to get the work done.

Sweet, thanks for the tip.

updated video - here’s one with the windows up, as heard from the inside.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:58 AM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by 04CLK5.4
Sweet, thanks for the tip.

updated video - here’s one with the windows up, as heard from the inside.

https://youtu.be/XrkCcJZr-NQ
that does sound like the cats rattling around to me.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:49 PM

2004 CLK55 AMG
Update!

Apparently, there was a piece of rubber that had come out/got shredded in the center driveshaft support ring and would flap with the rotation of the driveshaft. The rubber was removed and everything should be good!

Thanks for the help, everyone.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:50 PM

2004 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_CLK55_AMG
One more thing to check would be the centre mount rubber bush.

the symptoms of this would be a flapping noise and slight vibration.

Here is a pic of mines which I still need to change but garages are still closed.

just to confirm, it was the rubber piece in the right side of the inside of that circle, from what the shop said.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:19 PM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by 04CLK5.4
just to confirm, it was the rubber piece in the right side of the inside of that circle, from what the shop said.
glad you managed to resolve, same issue as mines but difficult to see the missing piece in the pics on mines.