CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Clk63be Vs 997gt3???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano Silverstone F1
Originally Posted by tee_tz

Mags, you brought the CLK63 B.E.?? Wow, congrats another to stable; I didn't even see that you swapped your SL550 -- I'll try searching for the photos later. Did you get to test drive the CLK63, how was it?

Tee_Tz.
Hi tee_tz, Well..... I have a CLK63BE committed to me by a Southern Ohio Mercedes dealership. They had heard about me from a friend of mine who was a wacko car nut until he got caught screwing his clients (he was a medical malpractice lawyer) out of their money. Spent about 5 years in the 'hoosegow' for being an A-Hole! Still a good friend of mine though.

Anyhow, he gave them my name and said I kinda like cars a little and the salesman called me on a cold-call basis. He said he wanted to start a buyer-dealer relationship with me and asked if I was interested in any Mercedes. Ironically.... I found out my 07 S550 was originally their car and my local dealer had dealer traded with them to get it for me last Winter!

A Cleveland dealer (won't mention any names) had promised me their first 63AMG BE, BUT somehow..... they (accidentally?) sold it to someone else.... yeah right!!!

As of now, I'm getting the one from the Southern Ohio dealer. He even called me to confirm what color I wanted. Originally I said Silver but after getting the SL550 in Pearl White, I changed the 63BE to White too! Certain cars really look like the 'cat's ***' in White and I think the BE with its black carbon fiber parts will really stand out.

About driving the BE, I think demos or even a sample car are as scarce as Hen's teeth! I'll just take the word of various reports of greatness and criticisms and 'Roll the Dice'!

BTW...if you need some pics of the Pearl White SL550, just let me know. The color is absolutely 'illegal'! Mags
Old 06-15-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Who tracks an MB???

I understand going to the track for fun and all, but I wouldn't dream of comparing a real track car to a luxury car in track car clothing.
...it's seemed to do pretty well pacing the field of F1 cars the last couple seasons...
Old 06-15-2007, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
track car clothing?

It sure seems that MB has done quite a bit under the cloths to make this car trackable.

Weight though has got to still be a serious issue.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
...it's seemed to do pretty well pacing the field of F1 cars the last couple seasons...
So did the C32...
Old 06-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 BMW M6
Originally Posted by magwheel
I agree with the fact that almost everyone here minus a few 'die hards', will not track our GT3s or BEs. Tracking your car is fine.... I'm just not into beating up on a fine machine such as a GT3. If I were inclined to have the desire to track a car, I would go 'gung ho' and build a car specifically for the track.

That being said..... comparing a BE to a GT2 is not fair. I had a 2003 GT2. It was brutally fast and I really miss it. BUT..... I traded it on my 2004 Carrera GT which I think most of you would say was a good move. The BE is supposed to sticker around $135,000 or so. My 2003 GT2 had a base window sticker of $182,000. With its huge list of options, the total was $205,700. Besides the enormous price difference...... I personally think the 2008 GT2 would absolutely smoke the BE!

Even still.... I'm excited about getting my hands on my White CLK63BE which should arrive late August or early September.

If you're into ferocious & outrageous speed, you gotta go with the GT2. I'm just a little disappointed that the GT2 doesn't look at least as crazy or more vicious than the GT3RS. Being the 'Flagship Car' (of the 911s), it should look like it's from Outer Space! Mags
Mags

The comparison was not meant to compare like with like, as the two are very different cars. However, for me, the comparison makes sense as I am trying to figure out if the extra cost of the GT2 is "worth it" from the standpoint of paying an extra $50-60k for a car that will only see the track once maybe twice a year. IMO they both look a little ricer-ish, with the flared wheelarches on the CLK63be and the odd vents on the skirt of the GT2.

Part of what is making my decision so hard is exactly the fact that the 2 cars are so very different.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
So did the C32...
I embarassed a few E36 M3s at BMWCCA events with my C43 AMG back in the day...
Old 06-22-2007, 03:56 PM
MBH

2005 E55 Delivered 01/07/05
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
And it would loose virtually every street race against a CLK 63BS. Since less than 1% of a GT3 time will be on a track your point is well taken. for a race car but thats not real world. I don't know if you've lived with a track car on the street, I've got one and its good for an hour on the street or track days. AMG hit the nail on the head building a useable car that can do both.
Sorry Jim, Almost all of the guys in my local PCA chapter track their GT3's. Most tell me that is what they bought it for BTW the new 997 GT3 is heads and shoulders above the old one. It is way more street friendly than the old one. I just got a ride in one last night.

Last edited by MBH; 06-22-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by MBH
Sorry Jim, Almost all of the guys in my local PCA chapter track their GT3's. Most tell me that is what they bought it for BTW the new 997 GT3 is heads and shoulders above the old one. It is way more street friendly than the old one. I just got a ride in one last night.
No question that the 997 GT3 is a nice track piece. I've driven the 997 RS but not the GT3 but its almost the same suspension. I will take issue with the amount of track use they will get. I've been in POC and PCA many years and I see what shows up, not many and thats in Porsche's biggest market of SoCal. Ya, guys will do an odd club event here and there.
A few hard core will track regularly but it will be less than 10%. Hope I'm wrong and the owners get to experience a great car. We'll see when the adds on ebay reflect 997 GT3 never been tracked.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:14 PM

2024 GLE53
No question that the 997 GT3 is a nice track piece. I've driven the 997 RS but not the GT3 but its almost the same suspension. I will take issue with the amount of track use they will get. I've been in POC and PCA many years and I see what shows up, not many and thats in Porsche's biggest market of SoCal. Ya, guys will do an odd club event here and there.
A few hard core will track regularly but it will be less than 10%. Hope I'm wrong and the owners get to experience a great car. We'll see when the adds on ebay reflect 997 GT3 never been tracked.
I have not seen an RS at a POC or private track event yet. I am starting to see a few 997 GT3's but not as many as I expected.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:23 PM
MBH

2005 E55 Delivered 01/07/05
Shocking news from So Cal. There were 5 new 997 GT3's at the last driving event, most where owned by instructors. After getting a ride in one on the race track, I can say that the GT3 feels at home on any race track. Not sure about the CLK Black since there are none yet to compare, but it should be interesting to see one on the track when they do make it to the States.

To be totally honest I've seen more GT3's at the race tracks this year than on any road. I'm sure in So Cal it's the other way around.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:41 PM

Same here...until a POC event a couple weeks ago at Streets of Willow, I hadn't seen one 997GT3 on the street in Los Angeles. There were four or five 997GT3s at the event (out of ~100 cars of all ages and models, that's a big percentage), and another at a BMW club event going on simultaneously at the big track.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Same here...until a POC event a couple weeks ago at Streets of Willow, I hadn't seen one 997GT3 on the street in Los Angeles. There were four or five 997GT3s at the event (out of ~100 cars of all ages and models, that's a big percentage), and another at a BMW club event going on simultaneously at the big track.
It's pretty difficult to get the newest porsche models (GT3 & RS) in the hands of enthusists in SoCal, as there are sooo many speculators.
I had two deposit on RS's and was told it's 40k over window and I don't care how many porsche you've bought. I'd rather deal with a mafia loan shark.

My MB dealer is just the opposite, I ordered my CLK 63 Black, I was on the list as number one and have the number one allocation and it was at window. Then something even better happened. I was selected by computer for one of ten US cars for delivery at the AMG factory . This includes four days at AMG's expense with their test driver and mechancs to set the car up on the Sachsenring track with me driving.

I take delivery on 10/2/07 and will be on the track the next day. . Sorry, I tried to keep it a secret, but its just too damn cool not to tell. BTW, it was set up by AMG that no speculators could purchase the cars. Hello, porsche.. this is what a class company does for its customers.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:30 PM

2024 GLE53
It's pretty difficult to get the newest porsche models (GT3 & RS) in the hands of enthusists in SoCal, as there are sooo many speculators.
I had two deposit on RS's and was told it's 40k over window and I don't care how many porsche you've bought. I'd rather deal with a mafia loan shark.

My MB dealer is just the opposite, I ordered my CLK 63 Black, I was on the list as number one and have the number one allocation and it was at window. Then something even better happened. I was selected by computer for one of ten US cars for delivery at the AMG factory . This includes four days at AMG's expense with their test driver and mechancs to set the car up on the Sachsenring track with me driving.

I take delivery on 10/2/07 and will be on the track the next day. . Sorry, I tried to keep it a secret, but its just too damn cool not to tell. BTW, it was set up by AMG that no speculators could purchase the cars. Hello, porsche.. this is what a class company does for its customers.
Congrats!!!

I had the same RS experience and my MB dealer was there to solve my troubles.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline

thats very cool, congrats
have fun
you actually got a good value for the $
they should do that to all black cars
Old 06-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Can we get 50-60hp out of that 63 engine?
But, of course......................... I am working on the menu as we speak.

P.S. Jude, how is SL treating you.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55

holly shiit that is cool! have fun!