CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

This forum is B%&ll Sh%T!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Internet terrets!

Originally Posted by alexander stemer
Well, I'm a doctor who likes to track and vintage race, and I have a new BS.
Have you forgotten you need 1,000 break-in miles before you are supposed to go over 85 mph, and there is a "no kickdown" instruction on the windshield decal during this interval? Then diff fluid change at 1800. I'm not sure many people are there yet.
But, fyi, I'm renting a local track on October 2, and hope to let you know how the car is in the stock set-up. I am probably not going to lower mine, as I expect to put lots of all-purpose miles on the car, and it feels pretty good as-is. AS
AS,

Hope you didn't take my outburst personally. I didn't realize how little time these cars have been here and was expecting more performance oriented discussions. I've got track time on the 5th at Mid Ohio and should have about 1500 miles by then. After the track day I was planning on fluids change.

I was at the recent AMG Pocono event and we got to do a couple 0-60 and slalom runs in a BS. They were showing no respect for break-in procedures as there were about 60 of us flogging these cars with > 150 miles when we started. Granted MB/AMG may not care about long term reliability issues, but one of the instructers didn't seem to be concerned either. He was very excited to be able to take ownership of the red one when AMG was finished with it.

Have fun on the 2nd.

Jim Gerken
Old 09-27-2007, 10:01 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by jgerken
They were showing no respect for break-in procedures as there were about 60 of us flogging these cars with > 150 miles when we started.
As I’ve stated to others, the "recommended" break in is just that, a recommendation. I’ve been driving my car, using the transmission etc with no restraint since day 1 when it had 17 miles at delivery. I have had no problems to speak of and I am not leasing the car. I had 500 miles on the car when I took it to the track and changed all fluids, brake, rear diff, engine oil and filter after my track day. I follow a pretty aggressive maintenance programme.

Last edited by LZH; 09-27-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:03 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by LZH
As I’ve stated to others, the "recommended" break in is just that, a recommendation. I’ve been driving my car, using the transmission etc with no restraint since day 1 when it had 17 miles at delivery. I have had no problems to speak of and I am not leasing the car. I had 500 miles on the car when I took it to the track and changed all fluids, brake, rear diff, engine oil and filter after my track day. I follow a pretty aggressive maintenance programme.

Since the computers can now be read, I am a little concerned that the warranty could be voided if future problems arise, and the recs have been violated. Not that MB is like Lotus, but I have heard that Lotus will void an Elise warranty if rev limits have been exceeded during break-in. AS
Old 09-28-2007, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
What day where you there and what color group..?

AS,

Hope you didn't take my outburst personally. I didn't realize how little time these cars have been here and was expecting more performance oriented discussions. I've got track time on the 5th at Mid Ohio and should have about 1500 miles by then. After the track day I was planning on fluids change.

I was at the recent AMG Pocono event and we got to do a couple 0-60 and slalom runs in a BS. They were showing no respect for break-in procedures as there were about 60 of us flogging these cars with > 150 miles when we started. Granted MB/AMG may not care about long term reliability issues, but one of the instructers didn't seem to be concerned either. He was very excited to be able to take ownership of the red one when AMG was finished with it.

Have fun on the 2nd.

Jim Gerken
Old 09-28-2007, 07:01 AM

Pocono

Originally Posted by MACHC5
What day where you there and what color group..?
I was there on Wed. in the red group.

Jim
Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 AM

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
'08 CLK Black, '08 SL65, '17 SL65, '07 SL55, '20 E63S Wagon, '14 GL450
Re: Lotus and 1000 mile break-in.

If computer logs can void a warranty, seems like that should be in the fine print. I noticed that the sticker on the window of my BS says “do not”, but the manual says “avoid”. Now I’m curious, I’ll take a close look at my warranty.

….But you know that computer has everything logged. They might find a few transgressions in my break-in.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by LZH
How can you say that it is only a recommendation?

I was reading on the Private Lounge that for the Black Series cars that were allocated through the lounge, the owners had to agree to allow the cars to be broken in by AMG before they could be run on the track for the AMG Masters Trophy program.

That would tell me that AMG feels fairly strongly about the break in period.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:47 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by Schiznick
How can you say that it is only a recommendation?

I was reading on the Private Lounge that for the Black Series cars that were allocated through the lounge, the owners had to agree to allow the cars to be broken in by AMG before they could be run on the track for the AMG Masters Trophy program.

That would tell me that AMG feels fairly strongly about the break in period.
First, becasue the dealers head tech who is the only guy trained on the BS, told me not to worry about it. And second, thats how I break in motors and have never had a problem. Also, these motors are run in at full throttle before ever being installed in the cars. And lastly, did they say exactly how AMG break the motors in before being run in the trophy programme ? Something tells me they just drive the **** out of them
Old 09-28-2007, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by LZH
First, becasue the dealers head tech who is the only guy trained on the BS, told me not to worry about it. And second, thats how I break in motors and have never had a problem. Also, these motors are run in at full throttle before ever being installed in the cars. And lastly, did they say exactly how AMG break the motors in before being run in the trophy programme ? Something tells me they just drive the **** out of them
No disrespect but I think your tech, like most, is clueless.

This has been debated to death but my understanding is that the break in in not just for the engine but all of the other drivetrain components. The fact that my SL65 came with an extra sticker just like your Black Series regarding the LSD seems to indicate something.

The engines are not run at full throttle before installation. If you get a chance to visit AMG you will see that every engine is bench tested dry but not run. Only the V12's are all run on the dyno. Some of them are run for additional quality checks on the dyno but every engine is not run prior to being installed.

You are certainly entitled to break in your car any way you want but just because you do it that way does not make it right. In my racing days we certainly beat the crap out of freshly rebuilt engines and cars without a problem but these cars are certainly different than what I raced. I also seem to remember rebuilding engines and drivetrains a bit more frequently that 50K miles......

We should ask Jimmy on here what he agreed to for his car . When I applied for the Private Lounge cars and asked about the break in, they told me that it was a very specific program that was done by professional drivers and they datalog the complete process.

The only reason I commented on this was so that people reading this thread get both sides of the story. It appears that I am a bit more conservative in this area than you are. Just a personal preference. I guess that it is what allows me to be so agressive on the track

Cheers!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:58 PM

Busted

Originally Posted by Phin
To the OP...nice instigating...
It's such a great car, I just thought we could use a little more passion!
Jim
Old 09-29-2007, 12:11 AM
LZH
Banned

The only reason I commented on this was so that people reading this thread get both sides of the story.

Cheers!
All good man. From what I understand, the black series motors are dyno run before being installed at the studio. Either way, I'm not too worried. I have a very good relationship with my dealer and haven't the slightest concern about any potential warranty claim whatsoever.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:50 PM

Over 1000 miles

I made it through the first 1000 miles without serious kick downs or too many times over 4500 RPM. Past that milestone on a trip today from Ohio to North Carolina. I could definitely feel the motor freeing up and reving easier later in the trip. Even under restrained pre-1K driving, the car rips! I'll now refer to WV as the Schwarzwald.
Jim
Old 11-20-2007, 09:39 PM

S197
Gerken

You certainly have enough passion for all of us.. I am new to the MB world, and have recently changed from the oxy moron of american performance to German Dominance. We build Kleemann Mercedes Dinan BMW and Porsche at my bosses shop in Tampa. I have to say, I see more drivers that are passionate about what they drive everyday. The black Series drew such a response from everyone who visited our shop. Once I had installed the headers and cats the fun began. As well as kleemann tune.. The sound from the exhaust elicited excitement and power that if I owned one I would have to drive it, regardless of the break in. I hope you track your car, I hope you all track your cars. I may not be fortunate enough to get one for myself, but I do get to drive them on occasion, that and many more. But to track one and feel what I heard would be heaven.
Andrew
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by wrench
Gerken

You certainly have enough passion for all of us.. I am new to the MB world, and have recently changed from the oxy moron of american performance to German Dominance. We build Kleemann Mercedes Dinan BMW and Porsche at my bosses shop in Tampa. I have to say, I see more drivers that are passionate about what they drive everyday. The black Series drew such a response from everyone who visited our shop. Once I had installed the headers and cats the fun began. As well as kleemann tune.. The sound from the exhaust elicited excitement and power that if I owned one I would have to drive it, regardless of the break in. I hope you track your car, I hope you all track your cars. I may not be fortunate enough to get one for myself, but I do get to drive them on occasion, that and many more. But to track one and feel what I heard would be heaven.
Andrew
So you all have headers and cats and an ECU tune for the Black Series?

I think we are going to need some details on this!!!! Who is making the headers?

What kind of performance gains? Can you post some pictures of the parts and the install?

Very cool!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG

p*ssies.
i am what i eat.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:15 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by Bipasha493
i am what i eat.
A "vagitarian" I presume? AS
Old 11-21-2007, 01:18 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by wrench
Gerken

Andrew
And, while we are on the subject, is there a software upgrade that gets us the downshift throttle blip? That is something that seems like a no-brainer to me, as it seems to be on the CLK63 AS
Old 11-21-2007, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
And, while we are on the subject, is there a software upgrade that gets us the downshift throttle blip? That is something that seems like a no-brainer to me, as it seems to be on the CLK63 AS
The only car with the Throttle blipping dowshifts currently is the C63 it is not on the CLK63.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The only car with the Throttle blipping dowshifts currently is the C63 it is not on the CLK63.
Anybody know how this works exactly? I assume it's the automotive equivalent of double-clutching, prematching engine revs to where transmission input shaft will be in the lower gear. With a manual you blip in neutral with the clutch engaged (so the flywheel comes up to speed), re-disengage the clutch and downshift before the engine/flywheel/transmission input shaft slows down. Timed right and the shift goes much faster because there is no synchro mechanism friction to overcome.

What does an automatic do? It's got to be more than just blipping the throttle. What happens within the transmission to match revs?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:47 PM

2008 C300W4 Sport, 2006 Honda CBR600F4i
how are things jgerken? I havent seen you around lately. I'm sure i will see you soon for the fluid change.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
There was a Black Series that participated in a recent Chin Motorsports track day at Sebring. Anybody here??
Old 12-03-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Soon2bMB
how are things jgerken? I havent seen you around lately. I'm sure i will see you soon for the fluid change.
Already had the fluid change before heading down to the AMG meet in Atlanta. (Chappy and Angelo, have a good drive on the 16th. I'll be there in spirit. I'd love to see that bad boy 65 in the Ga. hills!)
Jim
Old 12-03-2007, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
"Woke up this morning and screamed, 'F&*k the World!'" - 2Pac

Okay Amerikkka's Most Wanted, have the meds kicked in yet? Good.

Black series is fun. MBWorld is fun. Zoloft is fun.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:34 PM

You name it i've had it or got it...
I can't believe these threads. Will the car appreciate? Who's paying > MSRP? Who's getting what over MSRP? Will the ride be too harsh if I drive to AZ? Why no sun roof? What about the pile of wax on my air intakes? Who's calling who out? I can't believe the B%&ll Sh%T!

I know AMG cars are usually bought by doctors who need to spend more on their MB than their neighbor, but I thought this thread might show some hope. Not.

Has anyone tracked their car? Can anyone talk with some credibility about the adjustable suspension and what has worked for them? What tire pressures do you like? Can you guys drive an autocross without looking like your trolling for a spot in a parking garage?

This car is like no other MB (other than the DTM, but who got one of those?) yet there is nothing here about what this car is about. Is there anyone out there who bought this car for anything more than rare auto bling? I'm calling you all out as a bunch of auto p*ssies.
What tire pressure do you like? There...whew....now it is a credible post.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:36 PM

You name it i've had it or got it...
What air pressure is it good to have a blow up doll at? Too much air it would be not so real feeling...too little and she would feel like a warn out out hooker. Any suggestions?? Maybe you can field this one...I am guessing you would have some experience in this field?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.