CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

questions for REAL black series owners...as well as ferrari owners!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 BMW M3 CAB, 2006 Bentley Flying Spur
questions for REAL black series owners...as well as ferrari owners!

I am new to this forum and want to know about the black series. i have read most of the posts and have a few questions to owners.

1. how does the car really ride, i have heard from harsh to just like a mercedes to better than a ferrari. well for those of us who dont own a ferrari or have never driven one. is there something out there that you could compare the ride harshness to?

2. resale questions are hard i know but i went in the other day to try to lease one, because i didnt know if i wanted to own one forever and they set the 3 year residual value at 59k that seems absurd to me at 44% of the msrp. in that case would it be better to lease it and then buy out the lease???

3. daily driver ability, i have heard yes no maybe for this, i will take it to the track once a year if that because a track from orange county is like at least 2-3 hours away. so how would it do going to work and back etc 30 miles a day, i heard the front is so low that it scrapes everywhere is this true.?>?

4. is it all that much better than a e63 or cls63?

5. if i waited a year would i be better off buying a f430 if i save up my money, they are almost twice the price to get one so for those few i have read about that own a f430 and a black series, and take into consideration if i pose this question to you you are off less means than you are now(basically my shoes) would you a. buy the black series now, b. wait one more year to save up enough for a f430...is it worth the wait and the extra money or is the black series a better daily driver and bang for your buck.

thanks alot.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:02 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
It is a MUCH better daily driver than a 430, and IMO, a much better all around car, all things considered. Yes, it is that much better than an E63 or CLS. I have driven them all and the Black Series is hands down more fun to drive. The ride is not that harsh. If you've driven a 997, it's about the same...maybe a bit better for street driving. How you buy it, lease, finance etc....is something only you can answer.
I have friends who have spent $20k in mods on their E63's, and my Black Series still is more fun to drive and faster. Hope that helps
Old 09-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Banned

it does thanks alot! hopefully more opinions to come!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by BLK SREZ
I am new to this forum and want to know about the black series. i have read most of the posts and have a few questions to owners.

1. how does the car really ride, i have heard from harsh to just like a mercedes to better than a ferrari. well for those of us who dont own a ferrari or have never driven one. is there something out there that you could compare the ride harshness to?

The ride quality & quick steering reminds me of my 2005 EVO MR that cost $35,000 new. (I still have it)

2. resale questions are hard i know but i went in the other day to try to lease one, because i didnt know if i wanted to own one forever and they set the 3 year residual value at 59k that seems absurd to me at 44% of the msrp. in that case would it be better to lease it and then buy out the lease???

I have no idea what the Black Series resale will be. I'm not planning on selling it. (I still have my 1993 500E)

3. daily driver ability, i have heard yes no maybe for this, i will take it to the track once a year if that because a track from orange county is like at least 2-3 hours away. so how would it do going to work and back etc 30 miles a day, i heard the front is so low that it scrapes everywhere is this true.?>?

If someone was only thinking about going to track events once a year, which is where the Black Series are made to shine, maybe a SL65/SL55/SLK55 would be a better ride to look at buying.

I think that will be determined in a few months as more hit the street and are driven with some zest.

5. if i waited a year would i be better off buying a f430 if i save up my money, they are almost twice the price to get one so for those few i have read about that own a f430 and a black series, and take into consideration if i pose this question to you you are off less means than you are now(basically my shoes) would you a. buy the black series now, b. wait one more year to save up enough for a f430...is it worth the wait and the extra money or is the black series a better daily driver and bang for your buck.

Last year I had the chance to drive on the same day: F430, GT40, Turbo Bentley, BMW M6, and a Lambo. (I'll take a Lambo over any of them)

thanks alot.
Your Welcome
Jim
Old 09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Jim - I've had mine on the track already. A buddy of mine is a Grand Am driver, he rode with me then drove it...we both agreed, it is by no means a track car - it's just too damn heavy. Where it really shines is on the street. Sure, you can beat the hell out of it on the track and it'll never skip a beat, but why ? The car is too expensive and rare to do that. If you have the money for a BS, then you'd be better off getting a dedicated track car - EVO, 996 GT3 or something like that.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by LZH
Jim - I've had mine on the track already. A buddy of mine is a Grand Am driver, he rode with me then drove it...we both agreed, it is by no means a track car - it's just too damn heavy. Where it really shines is on the street. Sure, you can beat the hell out of it on the track and it'll never skip a beat, but why ? The car is too expensive and rare to do that. If you have the money for a BS, then you'd be better off getting a dedicated track car - EVO, 996 GT3 or something like that.
The EVO MR has been and still is my Track Day car. It has a Buschur 2.3 with GT3071 and ROBI Handling Mods. The EVO is faster then the CLK63 Black. If fact the EVO is most times faster then anything that shows up in it's price range for Track Day usage.

As a point of reference for everyone... the current Road Test Summary in the back of October's Road & Track magazine list the CLK63 Black as the only Mercedes... SLR included, to do over 70 mph in the Slalom. A CLK63 on a diet of small battery, PRF1 wheels & Toyo's could be fun...

Thanks for your on track input on the CLK63 Black, I do appreciate it.

Jim

Last edited by MACHC5; 09-25-2007 at 11:26 PM. Reason: add R & T info point
Old 09-26-2007, 02:21 PM

sls, e63
lzh gave you some very accurate feedback. it rides at least as well as a 911TT and as well as a ZO6, though not as soft as a regular corvette. NOTHING sounds better, and the build quality is far beyond porsches, which have a distressing level of plastic parts, such as door pulls,etc. also it feels much better planted on smooth as well as bumpy roads than either my TT or ZO6.

another good point lzh observed was that this is not a true track car- but then neither is a TT, ZO6, etc.. for MUCH less money you can have a dedicated track car that would quickly hide from any of the above cars, including the ferrari. a couple of years ago when 1 lap of america ran at carolina motorsport park, it was startling to watch a very lightly modded evo and subaru lap both an autoauthority prepped TT and a mallett prepared corvette- the entire sprint was only about 5 laps.

all in all, the clk63bl is one of the neatest cars i've owned and could be used as a daily driver, though a wife might have more delicate sensibilities.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This has turned into an informative thread... with real feed back on some great cars.

"KEEP IT GOING"
Old 09-26-2007, 09:52 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black

thanks alot.
The ride is stiffer than a 360, but not less comfortable. I haven't tried a 430, so can't compare to that.
The car is perfectly fine over 99% of roads, but ransmits some vibration over coarsely-ribbed concrete. It is more comfortable than my 996ttX50 Porsche, but much stiffer than my previous E55.
I don't see this as a 4 seasons car, but probably a good 3 seasons. Where do you live? AS
Old 09-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned

live in orange county ca where there is only 1 season PERFECT WEATHER ALL YEAR ROUND. how harsh is it compared to an e55 i have driven one of them like kinda harsh or REALLY harsh. the other thing i worry about is the 30 series tires hitting a pothole and ruining the tires or the rims??
Old 09-27-2007, 12:00 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black
live in orange county ca where there is only 1 season PERFECT WEATHER ALL YEAR ROUND. how harsh is it compared to an e55 i have driven one of them like kinda harsh or REALLY harsh. the other thing i worry about is the 30 series tires hitting a pothole and ruining the tires or the rims??
The Black is not too harsh, and that is my wife's opinion. I live in Indiana, where our roads get beaten pretty badly, and I haven't seen wheel injury as a likely problem. Noise is very tolerable, without droning.
To be accurate, a car needs to be fairly stiff, but there is enough rubber in the bushings to isolate out most road shock.
Here ar my comparisons:
RR tracks
My 1953 Kurtis -great 10/10-super soft-but it's a dirt track sprint car (don't need to slow down)
2000 E55 8/10 (slow a little)
CLK BE 6/10 (definite slow down)
996tt 5/10
Lotus Super 7 vintage racer: 2/10 (crawl)
Denali towing trailer: 1/10 (nearly stop)

Highway comfort:
E55 10/10
Denali unloaded 9/10
CLK BE 8/10
996tt 7/10
Lotus Elise 4/10
1953 Kurtis 1/10

Jumping away from a light:
CLK BE 10/10
996tt 8/10
E55 8/10
1953 Kurtis 11/10 (always burns rubber)

Handling-responsiveness ( sporting/street)
Lotus Elise 190R 10/10
CLK BE 9/10
996tt 8/10
E55 7/10
Denali unloaded 2/10

I don't know if that's the subjective opinion you want. Obviously, I think the CLK BE is great.

On the track issue, I don't yet have experience in the Benz. However, having all manner of dedicated track cars, there is something to be said for a car that gets you to and from the track in comfort, and can still be driven hard.

Obviously, if I want to be faster than everybody, I trailer a car. But then I need to load, unload, and drive both ways 20 mph slower. On the plus side, I always have a functional car to come home in. AS
Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned

that summed it all up i appreciate all the ratings thanks AS for GREAT feedback, i think i will be buying the car....but i hope in 2 months i can get some discounts on the car.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
The Black is not too harsh, and that is my wife's opinion. I live in Indiana, where our roads get beaten pretty badly, and I haven't seen wheel injury as a likely problem. Noise is very tolerable, without droning.
To be accurate, a car needs to be fairly stiff, but there is enough rubber in the bushings to isolate out most road shock.
Here ar my comparisons:
RR tracks
My 1953 Kurtis -great 10/10-super soft-but it's a dirt track sprint car (don't need to slow down)
2000 E55 8/10 (slow a little)
CLK BE 6/10 (definite slow down)
996tt 5/10
Lotus Super 7 vintage racer: 2/10 (crawl)
Denali towing trailer: 1/10 (nearly stop)

Highway comfort:
E55 10/10
Denali unloaded 9/10
CLK BE 8/10
996tt 7/10
Lotus Elise 4/10
1953 Kurtis 1/10

Jumping away from a light:
CLK BE 10/10
996tt 8/10
E55 8/10
1953 Kurtis 11/10 (always burns rubber)

Handling-responsiveness ( sporting/street)
Lotus Elise 190R 10/10
CLK BE 9/10
996tt 8/10
E55 7/10
Denali unloaded 2/10

I don't know if that's the subjective opinion you want. Obviously, I think the CLK BE is great.

On the track issue, I don't yet have experience in the Benz. However, having all manner of dedicated track cars, there is something to be said for a car that gets you to and from the track in comfort, and can still be driven hard.

Obviously, if I want to be faster than everybody, I trailer a car. But then I need to load, unload, and drive both ways 20 mph slower. On the plus side, I always have a functional car to come home in. AS
Alex,
Thank you for another well stated comparison. Like many others, I have become tired of years and years of towing a track car. That is why the CLK63bs is so appealing. OK, there might be three or four production cars that have more pace, but NONE have been built with the express intent to drive it to the track race it and drive it home. I may get some arguments for GT3 owners but that's as close as it get.
Jimmy
Old 09-27-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
'08 CLK Black, '08 SL65, '17 SL65, '07 SL55, '20 E63S Wagon, '14 GL450
I describe the ride as stiff with comfort. It’s an interesting combination. The BS actually handles some types of freeway bumps better than my S4 or even a 540i. But on significant undulations – like rippled asphalt from trucks stopping at a light – you will really feel it. I have gotten used to the BS ride and find it very comfortable – and I won’t think twice about driving it to Vegas (10 Hrs). I have not adjusted the suspension or even the tire pressure yet. I’ll echo other comments here on the sound and the launch – there’s nothing quite like it. Definitely my best car ever, and a kick to drive.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:14 PM

Ride quality

Coming home from dinner tonight my wife wondered why the BS rode stiffer than the 430. She wasn't really complaining, just curious. I felt that on the track the 430 was a little soft but it does have a really great aggressive street set up. I'm guessing that to focus a heavy car on track and high performance street driving requires more ride quality compromise than a lighter car.