CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK63 BLACK 1/4 mile time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 ML63 & '07 SLK55,Ferrari F430 spider on order
CLK63 BLACK 1/4 mile time?

any clk63 black series owners with a 1/4mile time? and do think a clk63 black series will beat a sl65 in a 1/4 mile?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by Earl
any clk63 black series owners with a 1/4mile time? and do think a clk63 black series will beat a sl65 in a 1/4 mile?
Is that a serious question? SL65 will absolutely destroy the CLK63 in terms of acceleration. CLK63 Black was tested by several publications in the 1/4 mile and achieved mid 12's @ ~115mph (12.4 @ 115mph R&T). SL65, on the other hand, is a mid to high 11 second car @ 120mph+. The outcome is pretty obvious when you compare a V12 bi-turbo car to an N/A V8 car, c'mon...

P.S. CLK63 Black Series is meant for track, not dragstrip.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Almost a Member!

'07 ML63 & '07 SLK55,Ferrari F430 spider on order
Addictedtospeed,dont you think that clk63black is overated and over priced?!?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by Earl
Addictedtospeed,dont you think that clk63black is overated and over priced?!?
I think its a great car personally, but not for $135,000; and there isn't as much performance difference between CLK63 and CLK63 Black to warrant a $40,000 premium. I would probably go for a 997 Turbo, SL65, or even a used Lamborghini Gallardo for the same price
Old 09-29-2007, 03:10 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
I think its a great car personally, but not for $135,000; and there isn't as much performance difference between CLK63 and CLK63 Black to warrant a $40,000 premium. I would probably go for a 997 Turbo, SL65, or even a used Lamborghini Gallardo for the same price
Please....first of all you can't even get a CLK 63 in North America. Second, the performance difference is HUGE. Additional steering cooler, additional engine oil cooler, rear dif locker (6% shorter final drive) with dif cooler, forged wheels, lighter, wider, lower, triple adjustable suspension, R compound tires, improved shift programme, different brakes, factory carbon fiber widebody and ALL UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY - I could go on and on.
Simply put, try find a regular CLK 63 for sticker, then do the aforementioned mods to it and come in under $138,375 AND make it look as good with factory fit and finish and a factory warranty. You just can't do it and this "IS IT WORTH IT?" debate is getting old...
Old 09-29-2007, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by LZH
Please....first of all you can't even get a CLK 63 in North America. Second, the performance difference is HUGE. Additional steering cooler, additional engine oil cooler, rear dif locker (6% shorter final drive) with dif cooler, forged wheels, lighter, wider, lower, triple adjustable suspension, R compound tires, improved shift programme, different brakes, factory carbon fiber widebody and ALL UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY - I could go on and on.
Simply put, try find a regular CLK 63 for sticker, then do the aforementioned mods to it and come in under $138,375 AND make it look as good with factory fit and finish and a factory warranty. You just can't do it and this "IS IT WORTH IT?" debate is getting old...

That's all true, but when all is said and done, CLK63 Black is not faster than CLK63 in terms of acceleration (both mid 12's) and only marginally better in terms handling and braking (according to tests, the grip and braking distance are only slightly improved), and the weight difference is insignificant (100-150lbs). That's probably the reason why Mercedes is not offering the CLK63 in the US... if they would, they probably wouldn't sell many CLK63 Blacks.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
That's all true, but when all is said and done, CLK63 Black is not faster than CLK63 in terms of acceleration (both mid 12's) and only marginally better in terms handling and braking (according to tests, the grip and braking distance are only slightly improved), and the weight difference is insignificant (100-150lbs). That's probably the reason why Mercedes is not offering the CLK63 in the US... if they would, they probably wouldn't sell many CLK63 Blacks.
Here we go with the magazine racing again..... Have you driven one?

I think LZH just gave a great overview of what was different from a CLK63 to a CLK63 Black Series.

What is the problem with all of these threads about the Black Series?

Everyone that owns one seems to love it and everyone else seems to want to bash the car.

I read thread after thread about how it's not worth the money or how it doesn't perform as it should from people that either don't own the car or from people that have never driven it.

It is not a car for everyone. It is a purest track performer that AMG has brought to the US to date. I really don't think the person buying the CLK63 Black Series is the buyer of the CLK63 Black. I know that I am not.

How about the other Black Series owners on here? Would you have bought the standard CLK63 Coupe if it was offered in the US?

What a waste....
Old 09-29-2007, 06:55 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by Schiznick
Here we go with the magazine racing again..... Have you driven one?

I think LZH just gave a great overview of what was different from a CLK63 to a CLK63 Black Series.

What is the problem with all of these threads about the Black Series?

Everyone that owns one seems to love it and everyone else seems to want to bash the car.

I read thread after thread about how it's not worth the money or how it doesn't perform as it should from people that either don't own the car or from people that have never driven it.

It is not a car for everyone. It is a purest track performer that AMG has brought to the US to date. I really don't think the person buying the CLK63 Black Series is the buyer of the CLK63 Black. I know that I am not.

How about the other Black Series owners on here? Would you have bought the standard CLK63 Coupe if it was offered in the US?

What a waste....
After owning (and still owning ) a 996ttX50, and having driven a 997ttSportChrono, the BE is different and better in a number of ways. First, 996 and 997 series Porsches are so abundant that they are now mundane. Second, the tt's aren't really good track cars, but most important, Porsche often. voids the warranty when the car is tracked.
In terms of usability, the Porsches aren't great highway cars, for alot of reasons. They are great snow cars, but genrerally aren't used that way.
There is no way a Lamborghini is a daily driver, and really, who can live with a mid-engined car every day-way too many compromises.
SL65's really aren't track cars either.
If you want a car with razor sharp handling, tons of torque, adequate comfort for daily driving, all the stuff you need for track use, and the joy of being driftable, I think your choice is a 599 Ferrari or a BE. But, nobody puts 100,000 miles on a Ferrari.
So, is it worth $136,000? It is to me, since that is what I had to pay to get one. Is it worth it to everybody else? Time will tell when the entire allocation is on the ground. Then the market will tell us.
My parallel experience was my beloved 1994 BMW 850CSI. To get it the way I wanted, it needed about $11,000 of Dinan and borla equipment, so that was $104,000 plus $11,000 for $115,000 total 1994 dollars. I drove it 160,000 miles, and sold it in one day for $28.000. While it wasn't a track car, I enjoyed every mile, and thought the car was well worth the cost.
I view the CLK BE very similiarly. It is a joy every mile, but doesn't need constant tending. It is fun because it will do anything the driver wants from donuts to drifts, just the way it is delivered. And, my wife prefers it to the BMW or tt for evenings out.
I'm lucky to have 5 great cars to choose from for daily commuting. Right now, it is the BE for good weather and the tt for foul weather. AS
Old 09-29-2007, 09:35 PM

2012 S550, 458 Italia, 97 993TT, 56 Speedster, 06 Ford GT, 355GTB
Well, I drove today, for the first time, a BS. And I must say, I was impressed. The sound is amazing, kind of a throwback to a muscle car in terms of sound. I loved it! My brother drove it too and when we started it up he said, "I can't believe this thing is a Mercedes...!" The steering and road feel is first rate. I wish the car was lighter, but it is a special car.

Originally Posted by alexander stemer
After owning (and still owning ) a 996ttX50, and having driven a 997ttSportChrono, the BE is different and better in a number of ways. First, 996 and 997 series Porsches are so abundant that they are now mundane.
I own a 997TT and you're right, they are abundant, but to assert they are "mundane" is an overstatement imo. A Corvette, on the other hand, is mundane -- a great car but a common sight on the road.

Second, the tt's aren't really good track cars, but most important, Porsche often. voids the warranty when the car is tracked. In terms of usability, the Porsches aren't great highway cars, for alot of reasons. They are great snow cars, but genrerally aren't used that way.
997TT are not superb track cars but they are not bad either. One thing I have noticed is because they are all wheel drive with PSM an average driver can toss the car around with less risk of getting the thing in trouble than other cars. In fact, take two average drivers -- one driving a GT3 and one driving a TT -- and I'd put my money on the TT. Take two above average drivers and I would put my money on the GT3.

997TT vs. BS on the track with comparable drivers would be an interesting contest. FWIW, Greg Loebel, who has driven both, and is a class winner at the Daytona 24 hours, claims the BS is a better track car.

My 997TT is a fine highway car unless you compare it to a Mercedes S class, etc. We drove my P car immediately before and after driving the BS and the two seemed quite comparable on the highway with no discernable prowess to one over the other.

I think your choice is a 599 Ferrari or a BE. But, nobody puts 100,000 miles on a Ferrari.
True. In the United States it seems that Ferrari drivers are hyper sensitive about mileage. On the other hand it seems like people drive the snot out of their German cars with little regard to mileage. (I already have over 2000 miles on my 599 so maybe I'll be the first to reach 100K miles!)
Old 09-29-2007, 11:43 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
After you put those miles on, I'll be first in the line to buy it from you. Of course, at 100,000 miles, it may be a short line. AS
Old 09-30-2007, 12:16 AM

SL 500
Guys,just a point of clarification.. but the CLK63 is still available in the states and on the road. Granted there are very few of them, but trust me, people have them.. and openly showing them off.

Case in point, mike modena of the dallas stars hockey team, proudly showcasing his on 'mtv cribs' last week.. what a car!!
Old 09-30-2007, 12:53 AM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Incredible track car and best sports car bargin in a long time for the money is the C6 Z06 hands down. Will destroy almost any car and hang with anything, All this for under $70K!
Attached Thumbnails CLK63 BLACK 1/4 mile time?-img_1182a.jpg  

Last edited by 04E55 AMG; 09-30-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by djamer
Guys,just a point of clarification.. but the CLK63 is still available in the states and on the road. Granted there are very few of them, but trust me, people have them.. and openly showing them off.

Case in point, mike modena of the dallas stars hockey team, proudly showcasing his on 'mtv cribs' last week.. what a car!!
CLK63 Convertible is available in the US, but not the coupe.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:55 AM

SL 500
correct, the convert. is available.