CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK63 BS as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Renntech E63S
CLK63 BS as a daily driver?

will any of you use this machine daily? does the car sit/ride prohibitively low (driveway aprons, speed humps)?

my car needs to be capable of daily use in all types of weather. while i appreciate many of you wouldn't dream of subjecting your new hardware to anything but fair weather, i have no issues with using the product in all conditions. i wonder how the car will cope with the challenges of daily use in the midwest?

any thoughts?

thank you.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by Traffic53
will any of you use this machine daily? does the car sit/ride prohibitively low (driveway aprons, speed humps)?

my car needs to be capable of daily use in all types of weather. while i appreciate many of you wouldn't dream of subjecting your new hardware to anything but fair weather, i have no issues with using the product in all conditions. i wonder how the car will cope with the challenges of daily use in the midwest?

any thoughts?

thank you.

The tires maybe your biggest liability as they don't like the cold and snow is a no no. So far there are no tires listed on the Tire Rack site for winter driving.

Jim
Old 10-06-2007, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
I live in the Midwest (Indiana, heart of snowbelt), and think the car, as delivered, will be fine for 3 seasons, but not 4.
I drive my 2002 ttX50 Porsche thru snow all the time, don't have a problem with ride height, but do mount 4 dedicated snows at the end of November.
I don't have any problem with driveway access in the BE, but would be a little concerned about shoveling snow with the nose.
In my Porsche, I occasionally need to get up my drive before it's plowed, and pushing a little snow with awd is no problem (and hasn't damaged the chin spoiler). I don't think the CLK BE will do that.
Right now, I am seeing my tt as my snow car, and not yet anticipating winter tires. However, I haven't seen what Tire Rack has for our car's winter rubber. Has anybody? AS
Old 10-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
'08 CLK Black, '08 SL65, '17 SL65, '07 SL55, '20 E63S Wagon, '14 GL450
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is available in the CLK BE sizes. I have them on my S4 - they are excellent in the rain and good in snow. Although I was trying to avoid it, I've had my CLK BE in the rain with the Corsa's - not too bad actually, although I certainly wasn't looking for the limits.

Last edited by johno530; 10-06-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:09 PM

Renntech E63S
let me first say, thank goodness that there are others who don't mind the very thought of all season operation.

my current daily driver is a track-prepped 911 that wears a dedicated set of snows during the cold months. as alexander was saying, plowing snow seems like the issue to be of most concern. after that though, i don't initially see any reason why the car wouldn't be able to handle cold and moderate snowfalls with proper winter rubber.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:21 AM

CLK63 BS
I have looked for the Corsa's to replace...no luck.

I have had the PS2s on my CLK55 and have been happy with them. They are available in the 63BS sizes so looking at that for a winter tire. I am in the Bay Area..I think the Corsa's can do track level wet but worried a bit about hydroplaning through street puddles when it rains a lot, which it can do.

I also had a flat already...really makes you want a spare set of Corsa's.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by tonequest
I have looked for the Corsa's to replace...no luck.

I have had the PS2s on my CLK55 and have been happy with them. They are available in the 63BS sizes so looking at that for a winter tire. I am in the Bay Area..I think the Corsa's can do track level wet but worried a bit about hydroplaning through street puddles when it rains a lot, which it can do.

I also had a flat already...really makes you want a spare set of Corsa's.
FWIW,
The factory tested the car in snow conditions and I've driven them in a downpour on the autobahn at over 80 mph and no hydroplaning.
Jimmy
Old 10-08-2007, 10:01 AM

Renntech E63S
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
FWIW,
The factory tested the car in snow conditions and I've driven them in a downpour on the autobahn at over 80 mph and no hydroplaning.
Jimmy
did the factory spec a foul weather tire?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
I live in the Midwest (Indiana, heart of snowbelt), and think the car, as delivered, will be fine for 3 seasons, but not 4.
I drive my 2002 ttX50 Porsche thru snow all the time, don't have a problem with ride height, but do mount 4 dedicated snows at the end of November.
I don't have any problem with driveway access in the BE, but would be a little concerned about shoveling snow with the nose.
In my Porsche, I occasionally need to get up my drive before it's plowed, and pushing a little snow with awd is no problem (and hasn't damaged the chin spoiler). I don't think the CLK BE will do that.
Right now, I am seeing my tt as my snow car, and not yet anticipating winter tires. However, I haven't seen what Tire Rack has for our car's winter rubber. Has anybody? AS

Do you have any problems with snow getting jammed in the wheel wells on the Porsche?
I drove my CLS55 in the winter and was constantly kicking compacted snow out of them.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by Traffic53
did the factory spec a foul weather tire?
NO. The factory has a UniMog with amg logos for snow.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
I was told last week by AMG USA there are no CORSA's for our cars in the USA right now.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
I have not had trouble with compacted snow in the wheel wells of my tt when using snow tires. I generally have looked forward for the heaviest snow days in the Porsche, so I am reasonably certain of an adequate test. AS