CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK63 Black Series vs. (997)911TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLK63 Black Series, 11 ZR1, 13 M6, 15 G63
These Porsche guys take this stuff a little to seriously, huh? All you Porsche fans out there must feel very intimidated by the Black Series to be making that big of a stink over it! Afterall, this is a MB forum. If you guys need the names of a few Porsche forums I can hook you up! I think I'm going to go over to one of the Porsche forums right now and pick a fight!

I also find it very funny that most of you people posting crap about how superior the Porsche is over the Black Series don't own or drive either vehicle, you are the last people that should be allowed to comment on this issue! Last time I checked this was the BLACK SERIES AMG section of this Forum. I see a lot of post from non-AMG owners as well as a lot of post from people that don't even own an MB!

GET A LIFE PEOPLE!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I also find it very funny that most of you people posting crap about how superior the Porsche is over the Black Series don't own or drive either vehicle, you are the last people that should be allowed to comment on this issue! Last time I checked this was the BLACK SERIES AMG section of this Forum. I see a lot of post from non-AMG owners as well as a lot of post from people that don't even own an MB!

GET A LIFE PEOPLE![/QUOTE]

573whpcls; They are called DREAMERS! These forums are as close as some of them will get to owning a BS, Porsche, or any exotic automobiles for that matter. Yet they are all experts, go ahead, just ask them! There are two kinds of people in this world, do'ers and dreamers. Keep dreaming people!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
jrcart we all look up to you. You're the best and gosh darn'et people like you!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by norb
jrcart we all look up to you. You're the best and gosh darn'et people like you!
Hey NORB, what's your home address? I'm ordering you some Hooked On Phonics CD's, they need to know where to send them. I bet the University of Houston is real happy that they have you to advertise for them...you sound so edgubacated!
Old 02-11-2008, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by 573WHPCLS
GET A LIFE PEOPLE!
So the fact I no longer own a Mercedes and have sold my Turbo means that my opinion is not welcome in your eyes?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:36 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
So the fact I no longer own a Mercedes and have sold my Turbo means that my opinion is not welcome in your eyes?
Carl,
You are certainly welcome. Me casa, su casa. AS
Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Carl, that depends...are you planning on posting crap or adding something constructive?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
Carl, that depends...are you planning on posting crap or adding something constructive?
Let me translate.

Are you planning to post things that jrcart agrees with or disagrees with?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:31 AM

07' E350
After riding inside of a 997 C4S, I was dissapointed with how small the interior was. It didn't seem very reasonable for a long distance trip. I guess it doesn't help being 6'1.

Main question:

Is the CLKBS a more sensible daily driver than the 997TT? (In regards to durability, practicality and utility)
Old 02-12-2008, 12:39 AM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by WoodHill Motors
After riding inside of a 997 C4S, I was dissapointed with how small the interior was. It didn't seem very reasonable for a long distance trip. I guess it doesn't help being 6'1.

Main question:

Is the CLKBS a more sensible daily driver than the 997TT? (In regards to durability, practicality and utility)

Depends on what you need. The Black series lack of back seats and slightly stripped down nature, imo, makes it about a wash with the smaller harsher 997 Turbo as a daily driver.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:46 AM

07' E350
Originally Posted by chiphomme
Depends on what you need. The Black series lack of back seats and slightly stripped down nature, imo, makes it about a wash with the smaller harsher 997 Turbo as a daily driver.
I C.

As much as I like the 911, it seems the car just won't work for me. I really wish it did.

O well.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:38 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
I C.

As much as I like the 911, it seems the car just won't work for me. I really wish it did.

O well.

Have you considered the new M3, RS4, C63, GTR, or the upcoming CTS-V? Cheaper, more practical, and very quick.
What are you looking for primarily? The Black Series can be a daily driver but there are a whole bunch of fast cars that are better at that dual role (same goes for a 997). I will use my CLK63 as a daily driver in the summer but I hestitate to try and use it as hauler of anything or a long distance GT car.
A good daily driver should do those tasks well and neither the 997 Turbo nor the CLK63 Black do.

Last edited by chiphomme; 02-12-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
I have to disagree. The back seats on the 997tt are worthless anyway and there is absolutely no comparison in storage space or interior room and comfort as the BS has a huge trunk and all of the space where the rear seats were. Also, what exactly do you find stripped down about the car? It has leather, carbon fiber, navigation and digital temp controls. The only thing it doesn't have is heated seats and memory controls. I find the BS luxurious compared to the 997's. I think the only shortcoming the BS has as a daily driver is the R compound tires which I would change out for a set of street tires which perform better in the rain and cold. In the end it all comes down to what you are used to driving as a comparison. I had a 550 maranello which I was using as a daily driver before the BS and 911's before that. So to me the BS is a much better daily driver and is much better equipped than those vehicles. This assumes of course that you are not driving in snow.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:35 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by ET550
I have to disagree. The back seats on the 997tt are worthless anyway and there is absolutely no comparison in storage space or interior room and comfort as the BS has a huge trunk and all of the space where the rear seats were. Also, what exactly do you find stripped down about the car? It has leather, carbon fiber, navigation and digital temp controls. The only thing it doesn't have is heated seats and memory controls. I find the BS luxurious compared to the 997's. I think the only shortcoming the BS has as a daily driver is the R compound tires which I would change out for a set of street tires which perform better in the rain and cold. In the end it all comes down to what you are used to driving as a comparison. I had a 550 maranello which I was using as a daily driver before the BS and 911's before that. So to me the BS is a much better daily driver and is much better equipped than those vehicles. This assumes of course that you are not driving in snow.

I said slightly stripped down.
It lacks options like front and rear parking sensors, heated seats, better sound and nav, bluetooth, etc. And the big one, a manual gearbox (or at least an SMG type paddle system).
Don't get me wrong, i love the car but there are a few things I would have added.
And it really isn't a practical daily driver. I have an 8 year old son who technically can't ride in the thing (unless I'm interpretting the law incorrectly).
Whereas he would fit in a 997.
Again, I love the car but an M3 or RS4 would be a better all around vehicle.

Last edited by chiphomme; 02-12-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
I have to disagree. The back seats on the 997tt are worthless anyway
I beg to differ. My 996TT took a friend in the back all the way to LV. True, it takes a resilient little fellow but it was handy nonetheless. For short trips, I utilized the back seats on more than one occasion. However, trying to fit two in the back would be pushing it. So to sum up, they're almost worthless but not 100percent so.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
First of all, what are the "Michelin Cup Sport tyres " ?? Are these the full race slicks ?? Also, a 7:40 would put that equal to:

They are basically race slicks... The Cup Sports are actually standard tires on the GT2, if you hit any rain the car becomes an ice-skater.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:10 AM

07' E350
Have you considered the new M3, RS4, C63, GTR, or the upcoming CTS-V?
Yeah, I have considered the new M3. Its absolutely gorgeous.

Just not too keen of the whole 3-series thing but oh well.

I think the car will fit the bill.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:36 AM

Yeah, I have considered the new M3. Its absolutely gorgeous.

Just not too keen of the whole 3-series thing but oh well.

I think the car will fit the bill.
I would really hate to see you buy a car that you "are not to keen on" because somebody else thinks it will be a better daily driver. If you do a lot of driving in town or in traffic are you going to be happy with the 6 speed manual? You need to determine what is really important to you and what you can't live without (e.g. do you need 4 doors or back seats or 4 wheel drive all of the time, most of the time or rarely) and buy something that you are going to enjoy. Better to buy something that you love that may not fit the bill once in a while than an "okay" car that fits the bill most of the time. (and for all you bmw lovers out there, i am not trying to say an M3 is just okay, but i can understand how someone in the market for a 997TT or BS would not be too keen on the "whole 3-series thing".
Old 02-14-2008, 02:29 AM

07' E350
I would really hate to see you buy a car that you "are not to keen on" because somebody else thinks it will be a better daily driver. If you do a lot of driving in town or in traffic are you going to be happy with the 6 speed manual? You need to determine what is really important to you and what you can't live without (e.g. do you need 4 doors or back seats or 4 wheel drive all of the time, most of the time or rarely) and buy something that you are going to enjoy. Better to buy something that you love that may not fit the bill once in a while than an "okay" car that fits the bill most of the time. (and for all you bmw lovers out there, i am not trying to say an M3 is just okay, but i can understand how someone in the market for a 997TT or BS would not be too keen on the "whole 3-series thing".
Yea, I'm not set on the M3 but, out of the cars he listed, I'd say it's the one I'd most likely pick.

On second thought, the M6 is really nice.

Automatic is a must-have. I'm not quite sure how the M6 tranny works. I know there's like a semi-auto tranny or something. (SMG?)

Hmm..

Last edited by WoodHill Motors; 02-14-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 AM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Yea, I'm not set on the M3 but, out of the cars he listed, I'd say it's the one I'd most likely pick.

Automatic is a must-have. I'm not quite sure how the M6 tranny works. I know there's like a semi-auto tranny or something. (SMG?)

Hmm..

I had an M6(and an E46 M3). Go with an M3 when it comes out with DCT(Dual Clutch Transmission). It is cheaper, more nimble, and has more useable space.
The M6 has SMG (sequential Manual Gearbox). Its is a manual paddle shifting system (which has an auto setting that I never used).

Last edited by chiphomme; 02-14-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:11 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black

Hmm..
The new CTS-V is really worth a look. Obviously haven't driven one yet. The previous model felt a bit too rubbery, which I presumed was bushings. I understadn the new one is improved.
When I saw it at the auto show, it REALLY looked good. AS
Old 02-14-2008, 12:49 PM

Hmm..
SMG does not work very well in fully automatic mode. And I personally have never gotten comfortable using paddles full time. Go for a test drive and see for youself.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:45 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
SMG does not work very well in fully automatic mode. And I personally have never gotten comfortable using paddles full time. Go for a test drive and see for youself.

I never would use SMG in its automatic mode. But the paddles are great, upshifts are fast and downshifts are seamless.
The only down side to SMG is that it doesn't launch well (especially the US models with the hobbled launch control).
I certainly wish the CLK63 BS would have had an option like that.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
IMO, for that money, a perfect car is SL65. Get an ecu tune and it will destroy any 997TT or CLK63BS while offering a much more comfortable driving experience (not to mention its also a hardtop convertible).

Originally Posted by psuball1
First of all, what are the "Michelin Cup Sport tyres " ?? Are these the full race slicks ?? Also, a 7:40 would put that equal to:

They are basically race slicks... The Cup Sports are actually standard tires on the GT2, if you hit any rain the car becomes an ice-skater.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Race slicks ? Michelin Pilot Cup are street R-compound tire (like Toyo Proxes RA1 or Yokohoma A048). I have driven daily on A048's on my lotus elise in heavy rain and now have Michelin Pilot Cups on my 550hp SLK55 and drive it daily in all weather. They come stock on GT3, GT3RS, GT2 and half of all turbo owners get them and drive on them daily. The tire is specifically designed to provide superb traction in the rain and to prevent hydroplaning. The only problem with the cups is that they wore out in 5,000 miles

Last edited by Addicted2Speed; 02-18-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
The rear seats on the 997 are far from worthless. If you frequent the 997TT board, a lot of owners bought the TT just so they could have their kids ride with them. And for some the reason they got it instead of the more affordable GT3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CLK63 Black Series vs. (997)911TT