CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Tools to adjust the suspension? What comes with the car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Tools to adjust the suspension? What comes with the car?

I was reading the article on the CLK Black Series in the AMG magazine. I know this a little old but I now have a reason to go back and read it. In the article, it says that the car comes with the tools necessary to modify the suspension. So I have the following questions:

1. Does it and if so what are they? Could someone post pics. Is it in the manual?
2. I believe the car is height adjustable. Does it come with the tools too change the ride height and shock compression/rebound?

Before you tell me to just read the manual, unfortunately I don't have it yet. I didn't get the manual or the extra key. They can't seem to find it at the moment although several people are on vacation. They hope to track it down. If not, they'll have to order me new ones.

And that got me to thinking maybe I should ask what is supposed to come with the car just in case anything else is missing.

I assume it is supposed to come with:

1. 2 keys
2. User manual, maintenance book, radio code, anything other printed material?
3. Front license plate holder
4. Anything else?

Much appreciated.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:01 PM

2007 ML 63, 2008 CLK 63 Black Series
Suspension Adjustment Tools

Congratulations Steve on your new CLK 63 purchase. The "tools" to adjust your suspension are rather simple looking and are located in the "empty" spare tire well in the trunk. Much like the suspension on a mountain bike, you can adjust the rate of compression and rebound in the suspension by simply turning an adjusting ring located on each shock absorber tower one click at a time with a tool that looks very similar to an allen-key wrench. The height adjustment is a bit more complicated, as changes in height will also affect wheel camber. Frankly, the stock ride height of the CLK 63 BS is pretty darn low, so I doubt if many owners will ever need to "fine-tune" it beyond the factory settings.

The CLK 63 BS has enough unique attributes that I highly recommend reading the owners manual to familiarize yourself with all its features, recommended break-in routine, recommended fluids, and emergency procedures in case of flat tire, electrical malfunction, towing, etc. Many parts of this car are unique, such as the battery placement in the rear "cargo" area, or hidden behind "secret" panels, such as the battery "trickle charger" connector located behind a panel in the trunk. Unless you read the manual, you would never know. Insist on the dealer to provide you with a new copy of the CLK 63 Black Series owners manual. It is a must have item.

Happy motoring! Enjoy the ride...
Old 03-27-2008, 02:40 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
And just as a point of reference....The factory suspension setting is what they used to turn laps at the 'Ring. You can play with it, but you won't get much better as it's setup pretty damn good unless you want to go full race boogie like Jcart did. Otherwise, you will loose driveability and that is the beauty of the Black Series. I would suggest leaving it alone unless you track it...then you can dial it in. For a long, fast non technical track, leave it alone. For a tight technical track, you'd want to lower it and play with the compression and rebound a bit to make it stick a little better. The Black Series has a tremendous amount of mechanical grip in stock form.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:29 PM

Thanks guys. I'll definitely read the user manual cover to cover when I finally get it.

About the break in period. What is the recommended break in period and when is the first oil change/service? Is there one at 3K or 1500 where the oil should be changed. I'm definitely not planning on waiting to when the car is telling me the Service A is due. I won't wait longer than 3K miles for the initial oil change.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:45 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by SteveL
Thanks guys. I'll definitely read the user manual cover to cover when I finally get it.

About the break in period. What is the recommended break in period and when is the first oil change/service? Is there one at 3K or 1500 where the oil should be changed. I'm definitely not planning on waiting to when the car is telling me the Service A is due. I won't wait longer than 3K miles for the initial oil change.
Why not just follow the factory recommendations? Does anybody really think they are going to wear out the engine? The warranty requirements leave plenty of safety margin. (let the arguements begin). AS
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A

There is an initial service between 2K and 3K miles to change the differential oil
Old 03-27-2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by alexander stemer
Why not just follow the factory recommendations? Does anybody really think they are going to wear out the engine? The warranty requirements leave plenty of safety margin. (let the arguements begin). AS
I normally don't put enough miles on the car to wait. Oil should be changed at least once per year but I think it is a good idea to change the oil after the break in period.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ET550
There is an initial service between 2K and 3K miles to change the differential oil
And what is the break in period/procedure?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Drive the **** out of it. I changed my oil and dif fluid at 800 miles, then did the oil again at 1600 for safe measure. Each time the used oil was clean and looked new as it drained.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
break in period is first 1,000 miles. I believe your car is already past that.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
The factory test driver put the first 1016 miles on mine and then they changed the diff oil. I put the next 1000 miles on the track and autobahn and drove it like it was stolen. Then changed the engine oil at 2000 miles.
The car runs fantastic. I put over 350 track miles over two days period three weeks ago. Zero oil consumption.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
What's a break in period? Drive it like it's meant to be driven!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:13 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

What are the stock dampending toe, and camber settings front and rear?