CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Finally got my BS to the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by 1AS
I'm a bit surprised, as our cars have a great deal of turn-in oversteer. If you go it pretty hot and ride the brake down to the apex, the rear rotates, and there is no grinding on the outside tread blocks of the front tires. But, you are doing a bunch of quick-twitch corrections all the way thru. I haven't driven anybody else's car, so maybe mine is a quirk, but I don't think so. AS
It's not so much grinding the outside as if understeering through the whole turn. I add a bit of rotation by trail braking into the turn which does help. Either way, the fact is the car is heavy and causes the front to push a bit which definitely pushes on the outside edge of the front tires. Adding more camber and increasing shock settings will help in many ways. Hope to try this on the next track day. ;-)
Old 10-19-2014, 08:24 PM
1AS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 63 BS
Originally Posted by MOFLO
It's not so much grinding the outside as if understeering through the whole turn. I add a bit of rotation by trail braking into the turn which does help. Either way, the fact is the car is heavy and causes the front to push a bit which definitely pushes on the outside edge of the front tires. Adding more camber and increasing shock settings will help in many ways. Hope to try this on the next track day. ;-)
Hmmm. That doesn't sound right, to me. Are you keeping the traction control on, or turning it off? Keeping it on, would explain your observation. But, if it's off, that behavior sounds wrong. My car does not understeer in dry conditions. Let me know, as I'm puzzled.
AS
Old 10-19-2014, 09:15 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Doesn't sound right to me either ... I guess it depends on driving style?

Understeer, unless you unload the front end on the entry, is not a characteristic the CLK displays ... like I said, perhaps it's my driving style, but I only have experienced oversteer ... whether on track or road. In my experience, the front end bite is far greater than what the rear can handle. Mid corner needs a gentle right foot and small corrections on the wheel, depending on how much speed was carried into corner ... on exit I can pretty much boot it.

I drove a friends C63 BS ... which is the opposite ... suffers from understeer, but rear is very well planted.

Edit: I see you're from CA ... what track do/did you take your car to?

Last edited by SMP; 10-19-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:02 PM
1AS

CLK 63 BS
Originally Posted by SMP
Doesn't sound right to me either ... I guess it depends on driving style?

Understeer, unless you unload the front end on the entry, is not a characteristic the CLK displays ... like I said, perhaps it's my driving style, but I only have experienced oversteer ... whether on track or road. In my experience, the front end bite is far greater than what the rear can handle. Mid corner needs a gentle right foot and small corrections on the wheel, depending on how much speed was carried into corner ... on exit I can pretty much boot it.

I drove a friends C63 BS ... which is the opposite ... suffers from understeer, but rear is very well planted.

Edit: I see you're from CA ... what track do/did you take your car to?
But, the traction control would do that by applying the brakes asymmetrically. Not only will you grind up the front tires, you'll overheat the brakes, and be much slower than you otherwise would. Some cars, like the Corvette and McLaren do pretty well with traction control in sport mode, but the BS turns into a pig. With TC off, it has more turn-in oversteer than any other car I can remember, other than the pre 90's 911's. It's okay for the first warm-up lap or two, but after that, you either go slow with it on, or enjoy the car (and risk a spin). AS
Old 10-20-2014, 12:45 AM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
I run the track with the traction control enabled and it does interfere. That could be why i'm not getting the amount of rotation i need during turn in. There is some twitchiness in the back while entering and exiting the turn which i was thinking was the back end stepping out (or camber issue) but now maybe its the TC kicking in to stop it.

The TC has saved me in turn 2 and 3 at Sonoma and coming in too hot on turn 8 at Laguna Seca couple of times. I could dial it back a bit and run with the TC off. However, I don't really want to risk not catching the tail and have a spin or slide off the track, Sonoma is not a forgiving track especially turn 10.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:01 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by 1AS
But, the traction control would do that by applying the brakes asymmetrically. Not only will you grind up the front tires, you'll overheat the brakes, and be much slower than you otherwise would. Some cars, like the Corvette and McLaren do pretty well with traction control in sport mode, but the BS turns into a pig. With TC off, it has more turn-in oversteer than any other car I can remember, other than the pre 90's 911's. It's okay for the first warm-up lap or two, but after that, you either go slow with it on, or enjoy the car (and risk a spin). AS
Good catch .... I assumed TC is turned off. In my opinion, besides everything you already mentioned, the biggest drawback of driving with it on is you'll never improve on your skills.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:24 PM

CLK 63 BS
MOFLO why r u running 18 not 19?
Old 10-20-2014, 01:32 PM

CLK 63 BS
I ran my first track day with TC on as I used to on my previous cars. The only major difference is the previous cars u can switch PSM of to protect the brakes from cooking. I found out that TC on the BS is both stability and traction (found out too late, brakes where already cooked). I am currently changing my pads to the yellow stuff changing my brake fluid to dot 5.1 and having a track setup for my next track day. Will switch off the TC and hang on to my seat!!!!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:51 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by seiffikry
MOFLO why r u running 18 not 19?
There are more tire options at 18" rather than 19" wheels. Plus unsprung weight is a factor in performance. I believe the overall diameter is the same with the sizes I run.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
I ran my first track day with TC on as I used to on my previous cars. The only major difference is the previous cars u can switch PSM of to protect the brakes from cooking. I found out that TC on the BS is both stability and traction (found out too late, brakes where already cooked). I am currently changing my pads to the yellow stuff changing my brake fluid to dot 5.1 and having a track setup for my next track day. Will switch off the TC and hang on to my seat!!!!
Sounds like you run in some really hot weather!!!

Did your brake fluid boiling during or after your track session? How long is your track session?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:19 PM

CLK 63 BS
Hahahahaha, it boiled in the first 20 minutes! Weather wasn't bad it was only 40 c!!!!! Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe our track sessions are usually three hours with an open pit lane format. So had to take her into pit lane and rest her for an hour, still the brakes felt soft after that. I think having the TC on was a bad idea but didn't know the the stability management will be fully engaged in manual mode! I bought the car second hand and it doesn't have a manual, so I am kind of improvising while I go
Old 10-21-2014, 01:12 AM
SPONSOR

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550

Front Camber and Caster adjuster kits are in stock. Simply replaces existing upper strut mounts (no mods).

Not steel or soft billet alloy but ultimate aircraft 7075 grade aluminum. Can adjust accurately (under load) direct on alignment turntable (and with strut brace fitted!).

Features extra heavy duty PTFE lined spherical bearings with separate radial thrust bearings for steering loads.

Stage 2 (Street/Race) version P/N 502216-2L $545
Stage 3 (Full Race) version P/N 502216-3L $545

When used in conjunction with the K-MAC Black Series front Camber and Caster lower arm adjuster kits (P/N 502616K $480) will certainly provide that race winning edge with both extra Neg. Camber and wider Track width (allowing to go deeper into the corners and hit those corner apexes every time!).

NOTE: The Black Series rear Camber (and extra Toe) adjuster kit is P/N 501526H $320.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:52 PM
1AS

CLK 63 BS
There are more tire options at 18" rather than 19" wheels. Plus unsprung weight is a factor in performance. I believe the overall diameter is the same with the sizes I run.
Traction control "on" cost you much more speed than you will ever gain with less unsprung weight, or a better choice of tire. Dedicated race tires will definitely give you more warning on breakaway, so another reason to switch it off.
You will go thru the track days thinking your car understeers, when all you need to do is turn in, and lift off the throttle at about 5,000 rpm, and you will never think understeer again. AS
Old 10-21-2014, 11:15 PM

2008 CLK63 BS
I turn T/C off as soon as I start the car, never use it for street, or track. I figured with it being off I would learn faster.

However, I know nothing of changing compression/rebound on the coil overs. Is their a cheat-sheet on what adding, or subtracting will do specifically to the car? I have a major track event coming up in Las Vegas, not really the event to experiment with the settings though.

Mike
Old 10-23-2014, 11:19 AM

CLK 63 BS
Track day tomorrow changes from stock and last track experience:
Track settings changed camber and toe
Changed brake fluid to Dot 5.1
Changed brake pads to yellow stuff
Will run tires cold 30 and try to maintain 35 through out the day

Previous changes:
WEISTEC air filters
WEISTEC oil air separator
WEISTEC pullys
Old 10-24-2014, 05:19 AM

CLK 63 BS
Great day this car ROCKS ! Ran all tires at 36 hot and the grip is much better. Thanks for the advice on the traction control, the car is completely different when it's off and the brakes where great and reliable through out the day. I think the only set back currently is finding semi slicks for her and she would be a beast. Comparing her to the GT3 I can safely say she just misses the tires, the BS carries so much mid torque that you never need to ride a gear. And if you do ever need to ride a gear it's only in high speed corners and not the slow ones with a fast exit. Had so much fun!!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:31 AM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by 1AS
Traction control "on" cost you much more speed than you will ever gain with less unsprung weight, or a better choice of tire. Dedicated race tires will definitely give you more warning on breakaway, so another reason to switch it off.
You will go thru the track days thinking your car understeers, when all you need to do is turn in, and lift off the throttle at about 5,000 rpm, and you will never think understeer again. AS
Will definitely give this a try at Laguna Seca on Dec 1st!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 AM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Great day this car ROCKS ! Ran all tires at 36 hot and the grip is much better. Thanks for the advice on the traction control, the car is completely different when it's off and the brakes where great and reliable through out the day. I think the only set back currently is finding semi slicks for her and she would be a beast. Comparing her to the GT3 I can safely say she just misses the tires, the BS carries so much mid torque that you never need to ride a gear. And if you do ever need to ride a gear it's only in high speed corners and not the slow ones with a fast exit. Had so much fun!!!!
Tires will definitely make a HUGE difference, at least it did for me. Glad you had a better experience and enjoyed the car even more!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:43 AM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by EUROTOYS
I turn T/C off as soon as I start the car, never use it for street, or track. I figured with it being off I would learn faster.

However, I know nothing of changing compression/rebound on the coil overs. Is their a cheat-sheet on what adding, or subtracting will do specifically to the car? I have a major track event coming up in Las Vegas, not really the event to experiment with the settings though.

Mike
Probably learn the car faster indeed, its the mistakes or unexpected reaction of the car while learning that may cost you!

In your K-MAC order there should have been an instruction sheet that has a cheat sheet at the bottom. At least mine did when I got parts for my W210.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by SMP
Good catch .... I assumed TC is turned off. In my opinion, besides everything you already mentioned, the biggest drawback of driving with it on is you'll never improve on your skills.
Good to see you're still providing track tips Sascha!
Pay attention folks.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:29 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Probably learn the car faster indeed, its the mistakes or unexpected reaction of the car while learning that may cost you!

In your K-MAC order there should have been an instruction sheet that has a cheat sheet at the bottom. At least mine did when I got parts for my W210.
As long as you're smooth and have a good line on the track, there are no "unexpected reactions" ... even when the rear steps out, it's not sudden and pretty easy to control.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:30 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Good to see you're still providing track tips Sascha!
Pay attention folks.
A man from the good old days ... How have you been, Mike?
Old 10-27-2014, 02:49 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by SMP
As long as you're smooth and have a good line on the track, there are no "unexpected reactions" ... even when the rear steps out, it's not sudden and pretty easy to control.
Appreciate the insight SMP, I'll give it a try next time out on the track. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:11 PM

CLK 63 BS
Had a track day yesterday and it was great! The car is different with the michelins sport cup I have a couple of questions to the BS veterans on the forum:
Firstly The brakes have a lot of travel and feel soft at the beginning but consistent through the rest of the travel. Any idea how I can cancel that first soft travel? Feels like the hoses are expanding or something. I had no brake fade nor lost the brakes at any point of time
Secondly I run my dials reading gears and oil temperature but when I pass 120km/hr I get the 120km/h exceeding max speed message so I can't see what gear I am in or what speed I am traveling on.
Other than that the weistec bushing was a great addition. The HRE rims where great (just a little of tire touching the back fenders with 305's in the back)
I am rethinking the power Mod as I can't see myself needing more power currently. The car faired well against the 997 GT3 991 gt3 and ofcourse the Turbo's presented no challenge. I even kept well against some of the inexperienced radicals!!
Waiting for a video from one of the guys who thinks he caught me when I completely lost the car going into the backstraight on the track! I was doing well above 130 km/ hr! I don't think the camera footage will have me crapping my pants though!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Had a track day yesterday and it was great! The car is different with the michelins sport cup I have a couple of questions to the BS veterans on the forum:
Firstly The brakes have a lot of travel and feel soft at the beginning but consistent through the rest of the travel. Any idea how I can cancel that first soft travel? Feels like the hoses are expanding or something. I had no brake fade nor lost the brakes at any point of time
Secondly I run my dials reading gears and oil temperature but when I pass 120km/hr I get the 120km/h exceeding max speed message so I can't see what gear I am in or what speed I am traveling on.
Other than that the weistec bushing was a great addition. The HRE rims where great (just a little of tire touching the back fenders with 305's in the back)
I am rethinking the power Mod as I can't see myself needing more power currently. The car faired well against the 997 GT3 991 gt3 and ofcourse the Turbo's presented no challenge. I even kept well against some of the inexperienced radicals!!
Waiting for a video from one of the guys who thinks he caught me when I completely lost the car going into the backstraight on the track! I was doing well above 130 km/ hr! I don't think the camera footage will have me crapping my pants though!
Where's your video?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally got my BS to the track