CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Finally got my BS to the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
Finally got my BS to the track

At the local Porsche club event at Gingerman, I finally got the opportunity to use the car for its true purpose.
First, the stock cold pressures are too high. I pegged my air guage which goes to 60 psi when I checked my left front tire. Probably needs to start at about 44 cold, then check (less in the rears, obviously). Otherwise, the front gets greasy.
Second, the car is easier to drive with the traction control off. It seems to want to start to rotate under braking, then keep the throttle on. It is esier to modulate than you'd think. Absolutely no brake fade, though I'm a light/long braker as I age.
Bunches of Porsche guys came over to look. many told me how amazing the car sounds. I guess I need to let someone else drive it so I can listen.
The car just gobbles up the laps. There was a 997tt tip there that was obviously not as quick. Don't know how comfortable he was with the track.
If you haven't gotten your car to the track, this is something you will want to do. Don't be afraid to turn the TC off.
I'm not sure I know the best settings for the trans. I tended to keep it in sport, and use the paddles to downshift, then letting it upshift on its own. Obviously, you can't shuffle steer (I am kind of a hybrid steerer, as I ususally haven't driven with my arms really crossed over). On the track it really wasn't clear that holding the left paddle down got the absolute lowest gear. I think once you know the track and the gears, it is better to click down yourself. On the track, you don't miss the throttle blip at all,as the braking dampens out the downshift adeqately. The car is really great in right/left/right transition turns. Not to be redundant, but you really need to try this, if you haven't. AS
Old 06-15-2008, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It continues to amaze me how underrated this car is in the marketplace.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
It is an amazing and underated car! Me and some friends have Blackhawk rented out in early August, PM me if you want to join us, I want to run up against a stock BS to really gauge the real world, on track improvments I have made to my BS. What kind of times were you putting up at Gingerman? How many laps did you post? Any rotor damage? Seems that the rotors might be the weak link on this vehicle, I talked to one other person that put in some hard laps on a track and both he and I toasted a set of front rotors and pads in relatively short time.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:09 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
JR,
Love to join you. Let me know the dates. I only did about 30 laps, and though I was in the fastest run group, I got very few clean laps because of catching up to other cars, and club rules limiting passing to the three straights. The only time I know for sure was my cool down lap that was driven with my left arm out the window, and that was 1:45. I am sure that was about 10 seconds slower than a real lap, as I wasn't holding the throttle open, had the trans in full auto, and was driving slow to literally bring down the 135 degree oil temp (dropped to 126 by lap end).
I had no brake issues at all, and your comment surprises me. I would guess any vibration would be due to deposit build-up rather than rotor damage. Again, my style is longer and lighter braking that allows me to carry speed into the corner, and then apply enough brake to hold the nose down and rotate the car in the corner. It would be fun to ride with each other and observe the different styles.
If an enthusiast has no basis of comparison, I can see why someone can't properly evaluate the car. Think lotus elise with torque and comfort. But even an Elise requires a bit of fiddling to work at the track. Ride height, and alignment were musts on my 190R, then tires and ecu and headers were all necessary to get to a speed the BS will do out of the box. You gain all kinds of time on Porsches on corner entry, and give back a little on exit. There isn't anything else you can drive very day, hammer at the track, and just rinse off to do it again. Some day, a bunch of lucky people will figure it out and have the best driving experience of their lives. In the meantime, it just makes me smile. AS
Old 06-15-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by alexander stemer
JR,
Love to join you. Let me know the dates. I only did about 30 laps, and though I was in the fastest run group, I got very few clean laps because of catching up to other cars, and club rules limiting passing to the three straights. The only time I know for sure was my cool down lap that was driven with my left arm out the window, and that was 1:45. I am sure that was about 10 seconds slower than a real lap, as I wasn't holding the throttle open, had the trans in full auto, and was driving slow to literally bring down the 135 degree oil temp (dropped to 126 by lap end).
I had no brake issues at all, and your comment surprises me. I would guess any vibration would be due to deposit build-up rather than rotor damage. Again, my style is longer and lighter braking that allows me to carry speed into the corner, and then apply enough brake to hold the nose down and rotate the car in the corner. It would be fun to ride with each other and observe the different styles.
If an enthusiast has no basis of comparison, I can see why someone can't properly evaluate the car. Think lotus elise with torque and comfort. But even an Elise requires a bit of fiddling to work at the track. Ride height, and alignment were musts on my 190R, then tires and ecu and headers were all necessary to get to a speed the BS will do out of the box. You gain all kinds of time on Porsches on corner entry, and give back a little on exit. There isn't anything else you can drive very day, hammer at the track, and just rinse off to do it again. Some day, a bunch of lucky people will figure it out and have the best driving experience of their lives. In the meantime, it just makes me smile. AS
Some people get it, but most never do!

They are slaves to image and perception. I have long posted that the BS was as good as the GT3, and at current market prices, it is a downright steal.

Some people get it, but most never do!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by fickleone
They are slaves to image and perception. I have long posted that the BS was as good as the GT3, and at current market prices, it is a downright steal.
There are members here who own both, a comparison by one of them would be interesting.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

JR,
We must have two totally different driving styles, because you commented on "gaining time entering a turn and giving some back on exit", I found it to be the exact opposite in most turn, especially heavy braking corners. I would get out braked going in, once I scrubbed of enough speed down to my ideal corner entry speed I could hold firm with most of the Porsches and I could get on the gas before all the Porsches in most corners and start to gain on them before corner exit. In some corners they were really slowing me down in the post apex portion of the turns. I was at RA you were at Gingerman, two entirely different tracks that have to be driven totally different, the staights at Gingerman are barley long enough for you to really feel the pull of the big BS motor, if you ever get a chance to get your car on RA do it, it's insane.

I think I am heading up to Brainard International to run the road course in about 3 weeks, that's another big HP track, gonna see if I still have the guts to hold it open through turn 1.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:10 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by jrcart
We must have two totally different driving styles, because you commented on "gaining time entering a turn and giving some back on exit", I found it to be the exact opposite in most turn, especially heavy braking corners. I would get out braked going in, once I scrubbed of enough speed down to my ideal corner entry speed I could hold firm with most of the Porsches and I could get on the gas before all the Porsches in most corners and start to gain on them before corner exit. In some corners they were really slowing me down in the post apex portion of the turns. I was at RA you were at Gingerman, two entirely different tracks that have to be driven totally different, the staights at Gingerman are barley long enough for you to really feel the pull of the big BS motor, if you ever get a chance to get your car on RA do it, it's insane.

I think I am heading up to Brainard International to run the road course in about 3 weeks, that's another big HP track, gonna see if I still have the guts to hold it open through turn 1.
I am sure you are right. My style gets my foot on the brake pedal and the nose slightly down, but because I don't brake as hard as the car in front, I catch up prior to turn-in. Then as I brake harder, the car rotates, and as I pick up the throttle the tail comes around. At that point, Ican't give it full throttle, as the back end is just hanging on. That is where a tt Porsche gains. The straights were about even, but the BS is pretty strong below 100 (which is almost all of Gingerman).
There may be other driving styles that gain time, but this style was fun. Are you driving with the TC off? That could be what allows you to initiate earlier throttle for the exit jump. I turned it off as I didn't like the automatic brake modulation with drift angle. AS
Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by jrcart
It is an amazing and underated car! Me and some friends have Blackhawk rented out in early August, PM me if you want to join us.
I PM'ed you, but didn't get a response. (My deoderant fail?)

I would like to join you as well, dates and my schedule permitting.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:11 AM

Amg Clk 63 Black Series
1st Track Day this week

A.S
Have you had any more experience with the tyre pressures, ? I am going to
start with 38 and 33 psi. I have had no experience with the Pirelli PZero
Corso Tyres as my experiences with the E55K were with semi slicks, great for the track only and not for wear. I am looking forward to checking the car out
on the track they only delivered 32 cars to Australia and as yet havn't seen any posts from the Aussies, I hope they are going to use them as they were
designed for.
I.S
Old 07-14-2008, 03:03 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by shuttie
A.S
Have you had any more experience with the tyre pressures, ? I am going to
start with 38 and 33 psi. I have had no experience with the Pirelli PZero
Corso Tyres as my experiences with the E55K were with semi slicks, great for the track only and not for wear. I am looking forward to checking the car out
on the track they only delivered 32 cars to Australia and as yet havn't seen any posts from the Aussies, I hope they are going to use them as they were
designed for.
I.S
That sounds a little low. My guess is that you are trying to wind up at 40 psi hot, and I don't know if that is ideal. I was at the track about a week ago, and bled them down to 5 psi below factory rec. That took them right back to factory rec when hot, but it wasn't a particularly hot day.
The fronts felt like they could drop another few pounds hot, but weren't bad at the pressures cited.
The real clue is loss of rear grip when the rears go too high. It is readily controllable, but slows you down. AS
Old 07-14-2008, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That sounds a little low. My guess is that you are trying to wind up at 40 psi hot, and I don't know if that is ideal. I was at the track about a week ago, and bled them down to 5 psi below factory rec. That took them right back to factory rec when hot, but it wasn't a particularly hot day.
The fronts felt like they could drop another few pounds hot, but weren't bad at the pressures cited.
The real clue is loss of rear grip when the rears go too high. It is readily controllable, but slows you down. AS
I was thinking the same thing, however not knowing what the weather conditions are in his part of the world I just assumed that it must be hotter than hell there. Then I thought he might be talking about a drag strip rather than a road course, in which 33/38 would be much too high.

Last edited by jrcart; 07-14-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:40 AM

Amg Clk 63 Black Series
Hi, Thanks A.S for your replys.
Had the car to the racetrack on Saturday It is very cold at Goulburn at present and the top temp was 11 degrees celcius at 2pm.
I had trouble with the feel of the car with 38psi front and 35psi rear.
A couple of guys helped me to get it right and we ended up with 28psi all round cold I hadnt checked the hot pressures as they did it for me.
The Track would not have been warm as we had minus one that morning.

I feel that I need some new track rims and semi slick tyres without any
circumfrence grooves. The pirelli are good though only for a short few laps
also I found their is no benefit trying to come down in the gears in manual as the
computer refuses ,maybe just as well as getting the revs matched is hard,and with the brakes it maybe not be necessary though I would like to see
a different program for downshift . I found braking only to the approach and then getting the right gear with traction control off was the best for me.
The car has awesome grip and found that it was not that easy to drift,maybe after the tyres are worse for wear this may be a problem ,presumably R compound tyres go off after each heat cycle and dont grip!.

The tyres are a compromise though it is great to be able to use the car for everday driving I had only 1500km on the car when at the track so the tyres were in new condition.

It will be fun to experiment more with the car as I only did 100km on the day.

Any of you guys who have changed your rims and tyres for track days I would appreciate hearing from you also tyre pressure experience as in summer here we get into the high 30s.

Wakefield track is 2.2km with a short straight 10 corners 9 of them right handers which gives the front left a work out.

I.S
Old 08-02-2008, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

28 pounds sounds low, but if that worked for you go for it. I went down to 41 all the way around cold and found that to be optimum. Air temp that day was 70 F and it was over cast so the track surface was cool, but I don't have an exact on track surface temp for you. How was your braking feel with that low of pressure? I tend to feel a lose of feedback when trail braking when I run to low of pressure especially in the front.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:48 AM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
to jcart, shutie, alexander stemer, GoFastKindaGuy

can I make a suggestion. I would highly reccommend that you install a Traqmate in your cars for track days. It is the quickest easiest way to compare data. This GPS based system will give you lap times, will let you know on each lap if you are ahead or behind your best lap of the day. It will plot many graphs, the fastest one to use is the Velocity vs. Distance, and whats really cool is that you can create segments and compare your segements. (entry and exit speeds, physical lines, G forces and more)

I race SCCA in Spec Miata, and the entire county pretty much uses the Traqmate. (of course its used in many otehr series as well, but his is the limit of my knowledge). Their are other more sophisitcated track data recorders, (Stack, AIM, etc) but they need a beacon at the side of the track; the Traqmate this works off GPS, so no beacons required.

We come off the track after a race, go straight into our tralier, hook up the display units to our laptops, upload the data, and then compare all our data. I normally only compare my data to the guys that are faster, but there are times that I have simultaneoulsy looked at data from more than 10 cars.

Its a totally non-invasive install, often done in street cars with velcro or zip ties, and it can be installed and removed in under 5 minutes.

You can also integrate it with ChaseCam (small solid state video camera recording to Flash cards) and it allows you to overlay your dash data (RPM, speed, lap time, G's and more) over your data, and it automatically synchs your data to the video.

I know this sounds like an ad for Traqmate, but this little instrument, has done more for my driving than plenty of way more expensive goodies.

In fact I maintain that, if you can completely disconnect your brain, (its a BIG IF), you can make anyone a fast driver. You can define the optimum braking points, entry speeds, apex lines, corner exit speeds etc. All they have to do is hit the marks precisely and they should have the same lap times.

I will post a lap of RA with the dash overlay in the next day or two (on vacation this week), so you can see what I mean
Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SISWATI; Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into that device you suggested. I already use an AIM MXL device, it was relativly inexpensive($1200) and is simple to use and read. I am thinking about upgrading to the AIM DaVid, w/front and rear mounted video cameras that sync with the data aquisition for real time monitoring or review later. I am having some minor data aquisition/telemetry added to the car to gauge wheel speed at all 4 wheels and some minor suspension sensors as well.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:30 PM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
to jcart, shutie, alexander stemer, GoFastKindaGuy, and all you track guys out there.

Here is a video showing the Traqmate data at work. This is just two laps from the Pro-IT race at Road Atlanta last month. I finished 2nd in class to Mike Cottrell in the pink SM ahead of me. Note that there are several classes on the track in the Pro-IT. This weekend I was on pole for all three races, and won all but this one - lost it by .031 seconds!)

The first 20 seconds explains how the data is overlaid onto the ChaseCam video. The actual race footage starts immediately after this short intro. (You'll notice I am a little down in the HP dept. Working on this as we speak.)

This is not the best use of the data, it is way more powerful than what I am showing you here, but this is the most fun aspect of it. As I said earlier you can add this to any car, don’t even need to take it to the track to monitor all the data, but its at the track where it really makes a difference.

Note that while I use the Traqmate, I am not an employee nor am I sponsored by them, HINT, HINT, but it is so easy to use and the data is so helpful in finding those elusive tenths of a second on the track.

Large file (30MB) – “right click and save target as”

Video - Danny Steyn - Road Atlanta July 2008 Pro-IT
Old 08-07-2008, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Good work siswati, that was a great video.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:48 PM

CLK 63 BS
Just bought a BS 2008 a month ago and took her out last weekend to the track. The temp was 40 c (hot) started her at 35 front 32 back cold. I think it was ok. Still the car is stock so I was chasing too many problems. :

Lost the brakes after 12 laps (new brake oil was installed before the track)

Will be replacing stock oil with dot 5.1 and ordered yellow stuff to improve braking

Going also for a track setup on the wheels

I will be going out on the 24th again and will post my feedback. Currently I am looking for a solution to run semi slicks on the stock wheels and any feedback will be much appreciated
Old 10-17-2014, 07:59 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
6 year old thread
I have Michelin pilot super sport's on my CLK55, 245 up front and 265 in the rear @ 45psi.
They're not grippy enough for a local small/technical track. I slide all over the corners like a greased pig
I also need some semi slicks as well.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:19 PM

CLK 63 BS
Yeah I know, but tell you the truth this is the most important thread!!! I used to run the Michelin on another car and 45 sounds really high. Do you start them cold at 45? I used to start them cold at 28 and try to keep them round the 35 mark through out the day. But always had an air pump to fill them up to OEM pressure before I drive home
Old 10-19-2014, 01:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
This is a great old thread!

I ran the stock Corsa tires with stock air pressure to get a baseline of the car. The rubber on these Corsa tires is good for street driving but cant deal with the sustained demand of track driving. Plus the car needs much more camber than the stock setup can provide. My Corsa tires wore down on the outside tread vs. the inside (toward center of car) tread line because the camber (even though stock is -1.5) needs to be much more aggressive. I did try reducing the pressure down to around 35-38 psi but the rubber and camber made it very difficult to increase speed (lower lap times) because I was fighting for grip in braking, turn in and exits of all the turns.

I decided to make the investment of track wheels and tires. It made a HUGE difference! The car performs as it was always meant to now! Although, I still need to address the camber issue to maximize the contact patch to the track. I highly recommend getting a set of track tires.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:10 PM

CLK 63 BS
MOFLO what's you rim and tire setup for track? Make and sizes please
Old 10-19-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series

MOFLO Track tires

I'm running CCW wheels with Nitto 555R tires. These are forged aluminum that I got in black anodized finish.

285/35-18x10 - Front
305/35-18x11 - Rear

Based on experience so far, add +1-2 of offset in the front wheels to push out (away from center of car) a bit more. I noticed some slight rubbing on my front coil overs after my track day. If you run a 275 up front it wont be a problem. I decided on 285 in front to maximize contact patch.

Call John/Chip at Complete Custom Wheels and they will set you up!
Old 10-19-2014, 02:01 PM
1AS

CLK 63 BS
Originally Posted by MOFLO
This is a great old thread!

I ran the stock Corsa tires with stock air pressure to get a baseline of the car. The rubber on these Corsa tires is good for street driving but cant deal with the sustained demand of track driving. Plus the car needs much more camber than the stock setup can provide. My Corsa tires wore down on the outside tread vs. the inside (toward center of car) tread line because the camber (even though stock is -1.5) needs to be much more aggressive. I did try reducing the pressure down to around 35-38 psi but the rubber and camber made it very difficult to increase speed (lower lap times) because I was fighting for grip in braking, turn in and exits of all the turns.

I decided to make the investment of track wheels and tires. It made a HUGE difference! The car performs as it was always meant to now! Although, I still need to address the camber issue to maximize the contact patch to the track. I highly recommend getting a set of track tires.
I'm a bit surprised, as our cars have a great deal of turn-in oversteer. If you go it pretty hot and ride the brake down to the apex, the rear rotates, and there is no grinding on the outside tread blocks of the front tires. But, you are doing a bunch of quick-twitch corrections all the way thru. I haven't driven anybody else's car, so maybe mine is a quirk, but I don't think so. AS

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally got my BS to the track