CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Thinking about buying CLK BS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few MB's
Thinking about buying CLK BS

I think I'm ready to buy a preowned BS. Do you guys think the price will keep droping on this car or will it stay at the $100k range for a while. Not sure if I should wait or pull the trigger now. Friend of mine in the biz tells me they will be in the $80k range very soon.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-09-2008, 02:16 PM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by MBSPEED1
I think I'm ready to buy a preowned BS. Do you guys think the price will keep droping on this car or will it stay at the $100k range for a while. Not sure if I should wait or pull the trigger now. Friend of mine in the biz tells me they will be in the $80k range very soon.

What do you guys think?
They are at 100K in auction right now so expect to pay between 110 and 115K for low or no mile cars. SUre they will be in the 80's then 70's and then 60's.

When do you want to enjoy it?
Old 08-09-2008, 03:14 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
This isn't a car I'd think you should buy used. Because of the nature of the design, the size of the engine, the car's capabilities, and the age-group/personality-type this car appeals to, you can bet your bottom dollar that most used examples will have been run pretty hard.

To put it another way, it's not something you're ever going to find some 80yr old lady selling, who drove it to church on sunday, and it's also not like a Porsche TT or a Ferrari, where they have a cult-like following and, with a little digging, you can find a nice example that some collector stashed in a garage.

This car's design and role in the marketplace is such that it's going to get used, modified, tracked, etc., and if you want a nice example then I'd say you should just bite the bullet and buy it brand-new.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 CLK 63 Black Series
I disagree, my car is for sale and has around 2100 miles on it. Never tracked, never driven hard, perfect condition. There is always a diamond in the rough, you just have to find it.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT

What do you guys think?
You can buy new ones today at 115 to 118.
Loosh's car is a better deal.
I doubt that you'll see 80k soon.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Originally Posted by CWW
This isn't a car I'd think you should buy used. Because of the nature of the design, the size of the engine, the car's capabilities, and the age-group/personality-type this car appeals to, you can bet your bottom dollar that most used examples will have been run pretty hard.

To put it another way, it's not something you're ever going to find some 80yr old lady selling, who drove it to church on sunday, and it's also not like a Porsche TT or a Ferrari, where they have a cult-like following and, with a little digging, you can find a nice example that some collector stashed in a garage.

This car's design and role in the marketplace is such that it's going to get used, modified, tracked, etc., and if you want a nice example then I'd say you should just bite the bullet and buy it brand-new.
I too disagree. While I think there are more than a few that will see the track and probably about the same number that will not be taken care of like LOOSH's or dare I say mine; there are always going to be a certain number that will be "new" used cars. You just have to know what you're looking at and what to look for in a car that has seen track duty (i.e, rubber and chips to name a few......). On the other hand, this car was built to take more abuse (spirited driving...) than most other cars built. Remember, it was built with the intention it would see the track regularly. As long as its been maintained properly, I don't see much of an issue.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned

2008 BLK/BLK CLK63 AMG BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
You can buy new ones today at 115 to 118.
Loosh's car is a better deal.
I doubt that you'll see 80k soon.
Not to mention there are only 350 of 500 them here in America.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by CWW
So what , they were designed for track use.You can bet they had numerous runs around the "ring" ,and there's not another track in the world that's going to beat on a car harder.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I don't think some track day use is going to do anything except chew up some tires and brakes, especially a bone stock one. AMG and all car manufacturer build a "cushion" around every engine and drivetrain. Meaning they build the engine and run it at 110%, no holds barred, until it fails, then they dial it back to a more resonable level before selling it to the masses. Sure, my car might be a little risky, I do drive it pretty hard and I have it modded and have taken away some of that "cusion" that AMG built in. I'm sure mine is closer to breaking that a bone stock car with 2000 city miles on it, however this is the most solid car I have ever owned. Whenever I get in my E46 M3 is feels like a rattle trap compared to the Black series, and that is quite a statement because I have always felt BMW's are the best built most solid and durable cars out there. I am not affraid of anything breaking, anything serious anyways. If it were gonna let go it already would have. I have had this car over 200mph on a few occasions, had it on a few road courses where I beat the crap out of it and drag raced it countless times.

I think you are safe buying new or used.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 PM

Received 261 Likes on 167 Posts
Friend of mine in the biz tells me they will be in the $80k range very soon.

What do you guys think?
IMO they may be in the high $80k range by fall of next year...basically a 20% drop from price new to price used in a year. By then we will have seen the new CLK, and probably have details on the next Black Series (not to mention the next E-class AMG, GT3, GTR Spec-V, R8 V10 or V12, etc.). The economy will also continue to hurt the prices of these cars between now and then.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one used. I'll bet most of them are pampered; it's the exception that takes a $130k+ car to the track and beats on it. And even then, as others have said, this car was built to take it.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:16 AM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by CWW

I couldn't agree more, very good advice!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:50 PM

CLK63 BS AUDI S5 AUDI Q7 4.2 SLine C230 Sport 2010 ML 350

What do you guys think?
Well - if you wait a few more months i might just sell you mine.
By the time my project is finished they will prob. have hydrogen cars by then and the BS should be worthless
Old 08-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JT55
Well - if you wait a few more months i might just sell you mine.
By the time my project is finished they will prob. have hydrogen cars by then and the BS should be worthless
How many more years before your project gets completed? LOL
Old 08-12-2008, 10:51 PM

A few MB's
Thanks for all the helpful feedback. I've decided to wait until the end of the year to buy one.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Banned

I belive cars like these are built for a purpose. What's the point of havein it. I mean why buy a black series when you can buy a clk320. This not a car you buy because you dont see to many on the road. If that's the case buy a lambo. You know what car this is. You what it's capable of doing. If you do buy it. Make sure you use it for what it's worth. I hate to see a car like this go to waste
Old 08-13-2008, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by JamE55
How many more years before your project gets completed? LOL
If you only knew the half of it.
Patience is not a virtue of mine .
Its not like I havent done this ab 10x in a row right around "the season"
Motorcycles, Cars - I always start my projects just in time so i never see them for the spring summer and then something always goes wrong.

Maybe Marty has some pearls of wisdom for me?
Marty?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by AmgAutobahnAuto
I belive cars like these are built for a purpose. What's the point of havein it. I mean why buy a black series when you can buy a clk320. This not a car you buy because you dont see to many on the road. If that's the case buy a lambo. You know what car this is. You what it's capable of doing. If you do buy it. Make sure you use it for what it's worth. I hate to see a car like this go to waste

What in the name of the Queens English is this boy trying to say here???
Marty Im gonna smash your fat fingers w a hammer soon.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:30 AM
Banned

What in the name of the Queens English is this boy trying to say here???
Marty Im gonna smash your fat fingers w a hammer soon.

is there a problem with my opinion? please stop with the name calling. I appartly don't seem why you are so now i dont have a rite to give my own opinion. I wonder what's next?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by AmgAutobahnAuto
is there a problem with my opinion? please stop with the name calling. I appartly don't seem why you are so now i dont have a rite to give my own opinion. I wonder what's next?
No you dont cause your fat n stupid. (Its not name calling if its true- check on Wikianswers it'll tell you so) Now hasn't that six month break kicked in yet?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
JT55 I have nothing against you but you are acting like a real jerk. Marty might night be the "best" person ever but get over it. Just putting that out there.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 PM

Received 261 Likes on 167 Posts
your fat n stupid.