CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

**::Considering a Black Series 63.. your advice, thoughts and opinions please::**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HPF M3
Question **::Considering a Black Series 63.. your advice, thoughts and opinions please::**

Hello all, just joined here to learn a bit more about this incredible car. It would be my first MB, and I cant believe everything I'm reading on these cars.
Seems that MB did "NO WRONG" in building this car!

I am considering getting one of these. Seems pricing has come down to earth, and with winter approaching, I am hoping to find one at a great deal. If anyone has any leads on one that would be considered a "great buy", please let me know. Currently favoring one in White.

I was considering a used 997 TT as well, but something tells me these will hold their value much better in the long run.

Can any of you with personal knowledge and/or experience with these tell me what they think...... and is it really worth the $$?

Oh yeah, and does anyone know how many of each of the 5 colors were made in these? I understand their are 2 different blacks, white, red and silver.

And lastly...... is this only a 1 year production run for the 08 model year, and if so, what is the final production count.. 350?

If anyone has one in the Chicagoland area or western suburbs, and wouldn't mind me checking it out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks much!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:44 PM

HPF M3
Wow... what a bummer, 46 views and no replies!!!!

I thought I came to the best place for this info.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Every question you have asked has been addressed many times in other threads. Just start reading threads in this forum and you will find all your questions answered and then some.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:26 AM

HPF M3
Originally Posted by LZH
Every question you have asked has been addressed many times in other threads. Just start reading threads in this forum and you will find all your questions answered and then some.
Thanks. Actually, I did that earlier today. I went back and started at p.9 of this section, and read through just about every thread up to p.1!!
I spent quite a few hours doing so, but would still love to hear first hand experiences of owning this car.

Im hoping someone from the area will come forward and let me take a look at their car first hand.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK BS
Have you heard of Jeremy Clarkson's new DVD called "Thriller?" There's a thread in this section with a link. Watch the link and it will confirm everything you suspect (and more).
Old 11-10-2008, 01:25 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by MR. BLACK
. I went back and started at p.9 of this section, and read through just about every thread up to p.1!!
I spent quite a few hours doing so, but would still love to hear first hand experiences of owning this car.
HUH ?? How could you have read "just about every thread" and not found mine and many others first hand impressions ??
C'mon dude, I'm not trying to be a jerk but you're asking a very general question that is totally subjective. Clearly, you have not read all the threads as you would have seen on and off track impressions and many lenghty discussions about the many fantastic and unique attributes of this car.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore

I was considering a used 997 TT as well, but something tells me these will hold their value much better in the long run.
wrong, lol. i actually laughed out loud to this statement. its come down this far, this quick -- and you think it'll magically get better?
Mercedes / AMG's suck for keeping their value -- just the way it is.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:27 AM

2014 G63 | 2011 LP570
Coming from a Stage II 997TT I have personal experience with both cars. I drove the 997TT 17000 miles in a bit over a year. Amazing car, daily driveable, comfortable, and fast as hell! But something seemed to be missing. Was almost too practical if that makes sense. Got bored of it and here I am. The BS is a blast to drive, very raw and fits like a glove. Great weekend car whereas the 997TT was more of a daily car. THough I must admit as I type this I think about how much I miss my 997TT. Value wise, think they have both settled in on the market with depreciaiton. I actually traded my 2007 997TT with 17000 miles for the BS with 2200 miles. not a bad swap.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Welcome,
I live in Northwest Indiana, and you are welcome to come down for a ride.
I have a 996ttX50 as my "other" car, and have driven the 997tt (SC) for comparison.
The BS is much more involving, is a much better highway car, has a usable trunk, is way more unique ( I have not seen another on the street or at a restaurant), and is a better track vehicle as well.
It does ride harder than the 997tt, but also turns in much better. On the other hand, it is actually more comfortabe on the highway, as the wind roar is gone.
The downside is that it is not a snow car, and therefore has limited use from mid-December thru March in our area.
I love every mile in the BS, and have relaegated my tt to winter use primarily.

The "hold it's value" question is really moot, if you accumulate any miles and keep the car for a number of years.
I paid full sticker for both my cars. That was $143,000 in 2002 for the Porsche, which now has 52,000 miles and is worth ablut $40,000. It easily depreciated $40,000 in the first year.
If you get a significant discount on a BS today (and you should), you will not lose $100,000 in the next 6 years.
Lastly, I don't think there will be another restricted production vehicle in this price range for quite a while. MB is swimming upmarket with the new SL BS. You have also seen Aston Martin elect higher cost series with much lower production volumes.
In every way, I love this car. My only regret is that I sold my 2000 E55. Shoulda kept it too. AS
Old 11-10-2008, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I actually agree with the black holding it's value. The prices have sunk to CLK63cab levels and I cannot see them going much lower. I expect this car to sell for >75k for years to come. Is it worth it? Hell yes, any owner will tell you that. I'm not sure about the colors, mine is black and I wouldn't consider anything else besides maybe white. 2008 was the only year, 700 cars built, and 350 made it to the states.

IMHO you'd be crazy to get a 997TT over a BS
Old 11-10-2008, 02:40 PM

2008 CLK BS
Originally Posted by Fantasm
wrong, lol. i actually laughed out loud to this statement. its come down this far, this quick -- and you think it'll magically get better? Mercedes / AMG's suck for keeping their value -- just the way it is.
Since you agree that the car has come down substantially since new then why would you think it's going to continue to plummet in value? I believe that this particular model - being in limited numbers and NOT a regular AMG series car - will actually HOLD it's value somewhere around the $70k to $80k range. Being that they're under $100k now means that MOST of the depreciation has already happened.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Tipo815
Since you agree that the car has come down substantially since new then why would you think it's going to continue to plummet in value? I believe that this particular model - being in limited numbers and NOT a regular AMG series car - will actually HOLD it's value somewhere around the $70k to $80k range. Being that they're under $100k now means that MOST of the depreciation has already happened.
Some people must think they'll be able to pick up a black for 50k one day. Better keep saving!
Old 11-10-2008, 04:57 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by vmspionage
Some people must think they'll be able to pick up a black for 50k one day. Better keep saving!
This is the craziest economic time that we have experienced. In 24 months, anything is possible.
Right now, car cosntruction is grinding down, steel orders have virtually ceased, businesses are going bankrupt, and the vaunted Goldman that took over Bear for $2/share is purported to be struggling. 50K could look good in 2 years. Personally, I think it will.
But the real question for today, "Is there a better value than a BS for under 100K?" Probably not.AS
Old 11-10-2008, 05:19 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by vmspionage
700 cars built, and 350 made it to the states.
They only built 500 with 350 made for the US. AMG initially said they might build another 200, but that never happened.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Probably won't either. With jobs and the economy tanking out right now, many things seem to grinding to a halt. Duck and cover is the mentality of many now.

We shall see.

I thought I would never see AMG's with less than three years on them in the 50-60K ranges but it has happened. In several models.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:09 PM

HPF M3
Originally Posted by LZH
HUH ?? How could you have read "just about every thread" and not found mine and many others first hand impressions ??
C'mon dude, I'm not trying to be a jerk but you're asking a very general question that is totally subjective. Clearly, you have not read all the threads as you would have seen on and off track impressions and many lenghty discussions about the many fantastic and unique attributes of this car.
Alright brotha... gimme a break man!
Honestly, I probably read 70% of the threads and afterwards I had a pounding headache for hours!

As I said, it seems almost hard to believe that everything I have read and seen about this car makes it seem damn near perfect!

I guess I was just looking for a most current response from some of you that have been in the car for close to a year or better now.
From what I gathered with all the older threads was more of a first impression/reaction and excited response from just purchasing the car.

So maybe I should have asked....... "how do you like the BS after a year of ownership?"
Anyhow, I see you have been around quite some time, and seem to be very knowledgeable with this car.
Thanks for your past and future help.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:12 PM

HPF M3
Originally Posted by Fantasm
wrong, lol. i actually laughed out loud to this statement. its come down this far, this quick -- and you think it'll magically get better?
Mercedes / AMG's suck for keeping their value -- just the way it is.
Uhmmm..... no. I dont think it will get better, but I do think it will start to hold ALOT better than a 997 TT. The mere fact that there is only 350 units in the U.S. should almost guarantee that.
Thanks for the warm welcome though.

Last edited by MR. BLACK; 11-10-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:14 PM

HPF M3
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
Welcome,
I live in Northwest Indiana, and you are welcome to come down for a ride.
I have a 996ttX50 as my "other" car, and have driven the 997tt (SC) for comparison.
The BS is much more involving, is a much better highway car, has a usable trunk, is way more unique ( I have not seen another on the street or at a restaurant), and is a better track vehicle as well.
It does ride harder than the 997tt, but also turns in much better. On the other hand, it is actually more comfortabe on the highway, as the wind roar is gone.
The downside is that it is not a snow car, and therefore has limited use from mid-December thru March in our area.
I love every mile in the BS, and have relaegated my tt to winter use primarily.

The "hold it's value" question is really moot, if you accumulate any miles and keep the car for a number of years.
I paid full sticker for both my cars. That was $143,000 in 2002 for the Porsche, which now has 52,000 miles and is worth ablut $40,000. It easily depreciated $40,000 in the first year.
If you get a significant discount on a BS today (and you should), you will not lose $100,000 in the next 6 years.
Lastly, I don't think there will be another restricted production vehicle in this price range for quite a while. MB is swimming upmarket with the new SL BS. You have also seen Aston Martin elect higher cost series with much lower production volumes.
In every way, I love this car. My only regret is that I sold my 2000 E55. Shoulda kept it too. AS
Thank you very much Sir, I may take you up on the "ride" offer if I cant find someone closer with one.
Thanks for your comparisons and first hand experience as well.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2012 CLS63, 2009 Scud, 1978 930 Turbo
This is the craziest economic time that we have experienced. In 24 months, anything is possible.
Right now, car cosntruction is grinding down, steel orders have virtually ceased, businesses are going bankrupt, and the vaunted Goldman that took over Bear for $2/share is purported to be struggling. 50K could look good in 2 years. Personally, I think it will.
But the real question for today, "Is there a better value than a BS for under 100K?" Probably not.AS

For the record, JPMorgan took over Bear Stearns, not Goldman. But I agree with the rest of your economic outlook. Anybody who wants to know how bleak it is simply needs to google "2008 October U.S. Mercedes Benz new car sales" Down 28+% YTD for the CLK class. The only thing MBZ is having any luck selling is the entry level C class.

Today Auto Nation reported that they lost $1.4 BILLION in Q3 2008 versus making $70 million in Q3 2007. Smaller dealers are announcing that they are going out of business on a daily basis.

It's rough out there boys. Be patient if you're a buyer.

Good luck to all!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:39 AM

HPF M3
Do you guys think these cars can really continue to drop that much more..... even with the terrible economy and sales in just about every business.

I talked to a guy that just paid 90k for one with only 700 miles!
Does/will it get much better than that??
Old 11-11-2008, 01:00 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by wolfturbo
For the record, JPMorgan took over Bear Stearns, not Goldman. But I agree with the rest of your economic outlook. Anybody who wants to know how bleak it is simply needs to google "2008 October U.S. Mercedes Benz new car sales" Down 28+% YTD for the CLK class. The only thing MBZ is having any luck selling is the entry level C class.

Today Auto Nation reported that they lost $1.4 BILLION in Q3 2008 versus making $70 million in Q3 2007. Smaller dealers are announcing that they are going out of business on a daily basis.

It's rough out there boys. Be patient if you're a buyer.

Good luck to all!
Thanks for the correction.
I realized that this morning, and was going to post the correction before you beat me to it. I was embarassed.
Just to put a little emphasis on the rapidity in which the "ripple effect" is becoming a tidal wave of losses, consider this.
Our community (Lake County, Indiana) is the heart of the national steel industry. The largest manufacturer is Mittal (formerly Inland), and much of their product is flat rolled steel used for appliances and auto bodies. Orders for January are said to be zero. Now, that is scuttlebutt and possibly not true, but I am expecting very significant reductions in force almost immediately. It is possible that local unemployment will rapidly exceed 8%, so our local Benz dealer, BMW dealer, and Audi dealer will see further deep drops. This is not because the steelworker was the Benz buyer, but the steelworker was the consumer who aquired goods and services from the Benz buyer. My wife has taken to calling me a "buzzkiller", so I know there is a black cloud following me around. AS
Old 11-11-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2012 CLS63, 2009 Scud, 1978 930 Turbo
Don't take your nickname personally Alex!

I am now known by my wife and clients alike as either the "Prince of Darkness" or "Mr. Doom & Gloom". Take your pick!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:00 PM

2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
Do you guys think these cars can really continue to drop that much more..... even with the terrible economy and sales in just about every business.

I talked to a guy that just paid 90k for one with only 700 miles!
Does/will it get much better than that??
This issue has been beaten to death. The bottom line is no one knows but everybody has an opinion. Some of these opinions may be knowledgable, some self serving and others ignorant. Its often hard to tell on these boards which ones are which and whether any of them are worth considering. The car is either worth it to you to buy now at a price or its not. No one else knows your financial condition or how long you intend to keep your car or how many miles you intend to drive it. And your decision on whether to buy the BS instead of a 997tt or anything similar should not be determined by what its going to be worth in a few years. That would be missing the point of these cars. Are you really going to buy a car you like less and won't enjoy driving as much because you think it may hold its value a little better?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:20 PM

HPF M3
Originally Posted by ET550
This issue has been beaten to death. The bottom line is no one knows but everybody has an opinion. Some of these opinions may be knowledgable, some self serving and others ignorant. Its often hard to tell on these boards which ones are which and whether any of them are worth considering. The car is either worth it to you to buy now at a price or its not. No one else knows your financial condition or how long you intend to keep your car or how many miles you intend to drive it. And your decision on whether to buy the BS instead of a 997tt or anything similar should not be determined by what its going to be worth in a few years. That would be missing the point of these cars. Are you really going to buy a car you like less and won't enjoy driving as much because you think it may hold its value a little better?
You make a some very good points in all you've said. I personally am most likely not in the same income [bracket] as most that buy this car.
I am though, a true car enthusiast and am really intrigued by this car from what I have read and seen about it.
For me, it would be more of a "garage Queen" due to the fact I am in the construction line of work and could not possibly bring this car on the job site and use it as a dd.
I own a very modified M3 for 3 years now, and have only put approx. 8,000 miles on it.
Time will tell I presume. I'll keep my eye out for now.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
.... My wife has taken to calling me a "buzzkiller", so I know there is a black cloud following me around. AS
Buzz, since this guy isn't buying, derailing the thread won't hurt.
Where do you see the market bottoming ... or has it bottomed?
Just as interesting as a number, is your logic.

Anyone else may feel free to take a shot.

The best bottom picker 1 year from now gets .... stinky fingers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: **::Considering a Black Series 63.. your advice, thoughts and opinions please::**