CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Jeremy Clarkson "TOP GEAR" Letter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK63 AMG Black Series, CL55 AMG, ML350, Audi S4
Jeremy Clarkson "TOP GEAR" Letter

I just got my BS yesterday. I stayed up late after taking it for a drive at midnight and then went back to review the Youtube video's that people have sent to me about the car. In one Top Gear episode Jeremy Clarkson states that he has been testing cars for 25 years and had never got a warning letter from a car company. He reads the letter in the video; warning of tail happiness, making sure the oil is warm, never disengaging the ESP, etc. Does anyone have a copy of such a letter or did you get one with your car. The dealer I bought mine from said he never heard of such a thing. He said "probably only in Europe" I gotta say - it would be pretty darn cool to have a letter like that IF it is for real. There seem to be a lot of you on here that know way more than I do about the history of the BS so I am looking for some help. Hope it is not a stupid question. THANKS
Old 12-31-2008, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
As I remember it, that letter was directly tied to the test car that they gave to him for filming the segment. Having seen Top Gear, they probably wanted some level of liability coverage should they (Top Gear) wreck the car.
No such letter from my dealer.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK Black
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
As I remember it, that letter was directly tied to the test car that they gave to him for filming the segment. Having seen Top Gear, they probably wanted some level of liability coverage should they (Top Gear) wreck the car.
No such letter from my dealer.
I heard it was a publicity stunt in the UK.

Nothing like that from my dealer either. It would open them up for huge liability in the US.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never got the letter either.

But a few of us could create one for you if it would help (j/k).

Enjoy your car!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I will write you a note formally allowing you to turn off the traction control. I think I can get George Bush to sign it. AS
Old 12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
I will write you a note formally allowing you to turn off the traction control. I think I can get George Bush to sign it. AS
I still haven't touched that button
Old 12-31-2008, 03:19 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by vmspionage
I still haven't touched that button
You are kidding of course. Of all the things in the world a guy would want to touch, that one is near the top of the list. There is maybe one thing ahead of it, but it is a close call......
There was a joke told to me 4 decades ago by my orthodox jewish father. It had to do with a conversation between a rabbi and a priest. The rabbi declined a ham sandwich offered by the priest. The priest said, "try it, you'll like it". The rabbi inquired about the possibility of the priest having a bride. Following the priest's negative response, the rabbi said, "try it, you'll like it" (p.s. that joke is very funny to orthodox jews)
When it comes to that button, try it, you will like it. The rear breaks away, but it is manageable. You can then do donuts like a Nascar victor. It is much better than the only other buttons in the panel -lock and unlock. AS
Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
You are kidding of course. Of all the things in the world a guy would want to touch, that one is near the top of the list. There is maybe one thing ahead of it, but it is a close call......
There was a joke told to me 4 decades ago by my orthodox jewish father. It had to do with a conversation between a rabbi and a priest. The rabbi declined a ham sandwich offered by the priest. The priest said, "try it, you'll like it". The rabbi inquired about the possibility of the priest having a bride. Following the priest's negative response, the rabbi said, "try it, you'll like it" (p.s. that joke is very funny to orthodox jews)
When it comes to that button, try it, you will like it. The rear breaks away, but it is manageable. You can then do donuts like a Nascar victor. It is much better than the only other buttons in the panel -lock and unlock. AS

If it's nice tomorrow I'll try it, but if I end up in a tree it'll be on your conscious!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Jeremy clarkson likes to over exaggerate to add entertainment. Top gear is more of a car entertainment show rather then a car review show. If you want more of a car review show you should watch fifth gear, there more accurate with how the car really performs.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:21 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by vmspionage

If it's nice tomorrow I'll try it, but if I end up in a tree it'll be on your conscious!
Try this first. Find a big smooth parking lot. Select "Manual" for the trans.
Turn off the traction control. Turn the wheel one half turn to the left. Put your left foot on the brake. Apply throttle. Take a deep breath. Release brake.
Apply more throttle.
After the smoke clears, you can take another breath and look at your beautlful donuts on the pavement. You will find you have turned the car within its own length.
TC off is the best way to drive on track,but not better for traffic, especially if roads are cold, or there is any moisture. Also, accelerating from a stop while turning could catch you napping as the differential locks.
Stay safe! Best New Year's wishes. AS
Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Turn off the traction control. Turn the wheel one half turn to the left. Put your left foot on the brake. Apply throttle. Take a deep breath. Release brake.
Apply more throttle.
After the smoke clears, you can take another breath and look at your beautlful donuts on the pavement. You will find you have turned the car within its own length.
TC off is the best way to drive on track,but not better for traffic, especially if roads are cold, or there is any moisture. Also, accelerating from a stop while turning could catch you napping as the differential locks.
Contributing to the delinquency of a .... an adult?

True enough about cold roads, I just caught the back end the other day when I pushed it out of a turn. First one off the light, no traffic except for those sitting at the other lights, TC off, pushed the gas just a little too hard ... probably a good laugh for the witnesses.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Apply more throttle.
There was no real traffic today but it was pretty cold so I left everything on. I really want to find a parking lot in the middle of nowhere so I can practice cornering at speed. Donuts just don't do it for me but I'd love to hang the rear tires out a little bit in a turn. Off the line the car will break loose easily with TC on so I've never had to turn it off for that. A little wheel spin is fine but I don't usually feel the need for a big smokey burnout at every stoplight. Not yet anyway.

True enough about cold roads, I just caught the back end the other day when I pushed it out of a turn. First one off the light, no traffic except for those sitting at the other lights, TC off, pushed the gas just a little too hard ... probably a good laugh for the witnesses.
Who said I'm an adult? When I first got the car I went to pass someone as I floored it, well the back end keeps going sideways just as I get in the other lane to pass, I'm not sure if it was just the timing of the downshift or gavel in the road or what. Anyway I'm pretty sure I passed him at a 10 or 20 degree angle and had a look on my face like I was about to soil myself.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series

You know what happened with my little off-road excursion
Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by jrcart
You know what happened with my little off-road excursion
LOL
Thankfully, I use the next exit, lest we have a little deja vu.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
LOL
Thankfully, I use the next exit, lest we have a little deja vu.
I'll be down there (Dallas)Thursday morning, then I am driving to Houston Friday morning for test & tune at HRP and then the car is being shipped to Vegas from the track. From there I will be tracking the car in Vegas and then it's off to Willow Springs on Thursday and Famosa on Saturday. Let me know if you are going to be around on Thursday, maybe we can grab a bite or a drink if our schedules allow for it.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by jrcart
.... Let me know if you are going to be around on Thursday, maybe we can grab a bite or a drink if our schedules allow for it.
New year and heavy travel resumes off to the East Coast on Wednesday night.