CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Thinking of going "Black"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLK63 BS
Smile

Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Dang Chuck, that was some tough love!

Sorry Slack, but I'm with Chuck ... but somehow I think the contrarian side attracts you.
Do what makes you happy.
Well I do admit I tend to be a "rebel," but not to the point that goes beyond rationality. I think the spoiler looks kinda cool, but the 2 main issues I have are (1) it requires drilling and (2) it might make the car look a bit "ricey" if you will.

As for the rims, I sorta like the chome deep dish look, which worked for the E55 but I'm not sure if I want to compromise the performance for this car.

And keep in mind you BASHERS...I'm going in to sign the papers tomorrow so I'm excited and not necessarily in my right state of mind!!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by slacker55
...I'm going in to sign the papers tomorrow so I'm excited and not necessarily in my right state of mind!!
You're not thinking clearly now?
Just wait until you get the car! Your E55 will be a distant memory in no time at all.

May I suggest that you'll get quite enough attention with the white "Black"? I get thumbs up and waves from people almost every day and my car is just a plain old iridium silver (poor me).

Give some thought to changing the rear rotors to the 2 piece Evosports, adding spacers and maybe lowering. Function over form.

You've picked the right car, right color, enjoy it!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
As for the rims, I sorta like the chome deep dish look, which worked for the E55 but I'm not sure if I want to compromise the performance for this car.

And keep in mind you BASHERS...I'm going in to sign the papers tomorrow so I'm excited and not necessarily in my right state of mind!!
Not a basher, merely offering my opinion. One you asked for one you didn't.

I like the wheels on your E55 but "deep dish" look doesn't work on a BS (just my opinion of course). Auto Couture does make some wheels I really like; Personally, I like a couple of the zero lip styles they do.

I know the level of excitement, I was beside myseld when we got ours and still am everytime I drive it.... Good luck and enjoy in good health.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
im with chuck......as for alternative wheel options, id take a good luck at carbon fiber. Functional as well as visual.

And dont forget the clear bra on the rear fenders at least.....sounds like they get chipped up IMMEDIATELY. Spacers sound like a good mod too.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:00 AM

14 E63 Wagon
If you live in Queens and plan to drive it on the street in the tri-state area, you might reconsider 20" wheels. I live in Manhattan and try to drive only parkways (no trucks) and I worry about damaging the 19s. The ride is great, but I would be reluctant to lower the car. The ground clearance of the front lip is managable (I also have a GT3RS where this is much more difficult) so I'd want to preserve ride height.

CONGRATULATIONS on the new car!
Old 04-18-2009, 07:01 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by chuck z
Not a basher, merely offering my opinion. One you asked for one you didn't.

I like the wheels on your E55 but "deep dish" look doesn't work on a BS (just my opinion of course). Auto Couture does make some wheels I really like; Personally, I like a couple of the zero lip styles they do.

I know the level of excitement, I was beside myseld when we got ours and still am everytime I drive it.... Good luck and enjoy in good health.

I know you're not a basher man. I was just kidding...sorta.

Well I signed for the car today and I'm glad I did. The sound it makes on start up is worth half the monthly payment...let alone the looks and performance.

The only issue I have is that there's a slight drip next to the gas cover on the fender. It's barely noticable but my buddy noticed it and being the OCP that I am (Obessive Compulsive Perfectionist) it bothers me a bit. Does anyone have any similar issues with theirs?

Also, has anyone purchased the wheel and tire warranty? I was told that for 900 bucks they will replace any tire or damaged wheel for up to 5 years or something like that. Seems worth it (esp in NYC) but I haven't signed up for that yet.

Last edited by slacker55; 04-19-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:08 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by steven0401
If you live in Queens and plan to drive it on the street in the tri-state area, you might reconsider 20" wheels. I live in Manhattan and try to drive only parkways (no trucks) and I worry about damaging the 19s. The ride is great, but I would be reluctant to lower the car. The ground clearance of the front lip is managable (I also have a GT3RS where this is much more difficult) so I'd want to preserve ride height.

CONGRATULATIONS on the new car!
Thanks for the tips. Just wondering whether or not you have had any scraping issues with the front bumper (e.g. underground lots, driveways, etc). I've been spoiled by the e55 airmatic that allows me to raise the car when need be...so I'm a little worried about this one.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT

Well I signed for the car today and I'm glad I did. ...
Are you driving it yet?
The only issue I have is that there's a slight drip next to the gas cover on the fender. It's barely noticable but my buddy noticed it and being the OCP that I am (Obessive Compulsive Perfectionist) it bothers me a bit. Does anyone have any similar issues with theirs?
Don't settle for it, especially since it's new.
Also, has anyone purchased the wheel and tire warranty? I was told that for 900 bucks they will replace any tire or damaged wheel for up to 5 years or something like that. Seems worth it (esp in NYC) but I haven't signed up for that yet.
It's a great deal, being in NYC makes it even better.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by DFW01E55; 04-18-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I know you're not a basher man. I was just kidding...sorta.

Well I signed for the car today and I'm glad I did. The sound it makes on start up is with half the monthly payment...let alone the looks and performance.

Congrats on the new buy! As for the drip, I envision an area that might have been repainted poorly. If you actually see runs in the clear, that just mean this area was damaged and they did a spot repair.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:47 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by Frankster
Congrats on the new buy! As for the drip, I envision an area that might have been repainted poorly. If you actually see runs in the clear, that just mean this area was damaged and they did a spot repair.
Hmmm...well I guess it's too late now. It's more of a "spot" really but annoying nonetheless. I suppose it's no big deal esp at a 40K discount from sticker along with the fact that it's....white, which is the only color I want.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:54 PM

08 CLK63 BS
[QUOTE=DFW01E55;3475142][QUOTE=slacker55;3475110]

Well I signed for the car today and I'm glad I did. ...
[QUOTE]
Are you driving it yet?
[QUOTE=slacker55;3475110]
Don't settle for it, especially since it's new.

It's a great deal, being in NYC makes it even better.

Good luck with it.

Thanks. Well I tried everything I could. But it seemed that there was no way they were going to give me a better deal on it. I even offered the salesman an envelope with 2K in cash if he can give me a "warm fuzzy feeling" that will motivate me to sign. But he said that he couldn't accept it and cannot budge from that price.

At that point, I was convinced that there's nothing left to negotiate. Being that I love this car and this is the only one in white...I guess beggars can't be choosers right? I mean...God forbid someone else comes along with a better offer...then I may end up having to fly to Chicago and deal with those...for lack of a better word....DOUCHEBAGS at Fletcher Jones...
Old 04-18-2009, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
dont have any regrets or buyers remorse...it's done and enjoy the car...and post pics or you are suck!!!
Old 04-18-2009, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
With that MBUSA wheel/tire warranty it must not hold air. Bent rims that hold air don't count.

MachC5
Old 04-19-2009, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Man that sucks about the drip and possible spot repair!!!! Happens though....

Perhaps you could find a REALLY good body shop and get them to wet sand the area smooth? There is a 3M product out there that works really well for spot repairs like this might need. It's a wet sanding pad that with minimally abrasive grit, I have used it on my 1400 mile 928 with most excellent results. PM me if you want more info......
Old 04-19-2009, 09:01 AM

14 E63 Wagon
So far no problem with scraping the underside. I am comparing it to the RS, which is V E R Y tricky to drive in the City, so anything easier to negotiate seems reasonable. I do a sharp angle, three point onto the sidewalk entrance into my garage, When one of the rear wheels is off the ground, it is a little tricky to smoothly modulate the throttle. Otherwise, no problems. May take it to Monticello in the next couple of weeks - open days when they are trying to interest possible members.

Congratulatiopns on the car - I think it is a perfect stealth hot rod.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:15 AM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by chuck z
Man that sucks about the drip and possible spot repair!!!! Happens though....

Perhaps you could find a REALLY good body shop and get them to wet sand the area smooth? There is a 3M product out there that works really well for spot repairs like this might need. It's a wet sanding pad that with minimally abrasive grit, I have used it on my 1400 mile 928 with most excellent results. PM me if you want more info......
Well according to my buddy whom is familiar with bodywork, he thinks it's a manufacturers defect because the spot is too smooth to be a touchup and the rest of the panel looks and feels like factory paint inside the wheel-well and the trunk. And there aren't any other signs of spraying either so it's very odd...

I mean, if a bodyshop could do such an immaculate job with the rest of the panel, how could they have missed that spot? On the other hand, if they were careless enough to leave that spot, how did they manage to do such an impeccable job with the rest of the panel? I suppose that it will be an eternal "riddle" and I should just get over it...

Last edited by slacker55; 04-19-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
so where are the pics?.......it should have arrived, right?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 AM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
so where are the pics?.......it should have arrived, right?
Yup...it arrived on monday. But haven't taken any decent pics yet because it was raining all week. I'll probably take some pics this weekend.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:24 AM

08 CLK63 BS
all I have so far is a clip of my half-assed attempt to do a donut in a parking lot. I hope that's not bad for the break-in process...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIbw20O5frc
Old 04-24-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
Donut instructions:
Trans selector in "M"
Select "1"
Left foot on Brake
Turn wheel 30 degrees in either direction
Rev engine (with brakes locked) to 2000 rpm
Take a deep breath and keep windows up
Release brake
Release gas after you are blinded by smoke
You will have turned the car in its own length
The circles you left on the asphalt just cost you about $8.00
Enjoy
AS

Last edited by alexander stemer; 04-24-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Autoedit would not allow "co'c'k"
Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 AM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
Donut instructions:
Trans selector in "M"
Select "1"
Left foot on Brake
Turn wheel 30 degrees in either direction
Rev engine (with brakes locked) to 2000 rpm
Take a deep breath and keep windows up
Release brake
Release gas after you are blinded by smoke
You will have turned the car in its own length
The circles you left on the asphalt just cost you about $8.00
Enjoy
AS
Haha, thanks for the tips. And ESP off right?

Well the ground was wet and I didn't want to take it out C until after 1000 miles. But I guess the inner child took over at the moment and I couldn't help myself...