CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Thinking of going "Black"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLK63 BS
Thinking of going "Black"

Hey All,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 98 BS with 43 miles for 98K. I'm not sure if this is a good deal nowadays but I insist on getting it in "arctic white" and there's only one that's untitled within driving distance from me.

It seems like a good deal being that it's new and I'm getting 40K knocked off of the sticker price. But I was hoping for some feedback before I go in to sign the paperwork. Any thoughts?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
I don't have any feedback for you, but that sounds like one helluva deal!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
the market has been flooded lately with low mileage (less than 1000 miles) cars......you can do better. But there are better options for 90K or less, but they are silver or black. I couldnt justify buying that car for thousands more just cuz it is white. And i have been offered 95K within the past couple of months for a brand new never titled car, so they should be able to go lower. Just need to negotiate a bit more.

Last edited by Doctodd33; 04-17-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:21 AM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
the market has been flooded lately with low mileage (less than 1000 miles) cars......you can do better. But there are better options for 90K or less, but they are silver or black. I couldnt justify buying that car for thousands more just cuz it is white. And i have been offered 95K within the past couple of months for a brand new never titled car, so they should be able to go lower. Just need to negotiate a bit more.
Thanks for the tip. Well I've actually found 2 untitled white ones for sale. One's in Chicago (800 miles away) and the other is close to me (30 miles away). I've been going back and forth with both of them to how low they are willing to go to close. But it's seems that Chicago won't go lower than 95 and the dealership near me won't go lower than 98.

So if I really want it in white, it seems that the only logical option is to get it from the local dealer rather than having to deal with the headaches of signing for a car that I can't even see and having to ship it all the way here.

But I'm still going to give it a little time to see if the local dealer can sweeten up the deal a bit. I'm looking to extend the factory warranty and if they give me a good deal on that, I think I'd be ready to sign.

Is anyone familiar with the options i have in extending the factory warranty and how much it costs?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 AM

14 E63 Wagon
A couple of weeks ago, there was a white new car in Chicago at the dealer - same name as the Newport Beach dealer. You should be able to buy an untitled car for low 90s - say 92. There are 18 still unsold as of last week.

I was writing this as you were writing your previous post. Porsche extended warranty - two years, up to 75k miles was mid 3,000.

Perfect, slightly used (under 5k miles) Black series can be had for mid 70s, so those first 5k miles cost $4/mile depreciation!

Last edited by steven0401; 04-17-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
just let them feel a little more pain and they will call u back....and there are more than 18 cars unsold on the market. Probably about double that.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:31 AM

14 E63 Wagon
Check on the AMG Private Lounge website - someone there probably has access to dealer stock in the US. The Chicago / Newport Beach dealer has at least three or four. Fletcher Jones Imports. Their white car at the Chicago is on Cars.com offered at 99k.

Last edited by steven0401; 04-17-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:58 AM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by steven0401
Check on the AMG Private Lounge website - someone there probably has access to dealer stock in the US. The Chicago / Newport Beach dealer has at least three or four. Fletcher Jones Imports. Their white car at the Chicago is on Cars.com offered at 99k.
Fletcher Jones is actually the Chicago dealer I'm referring to that won't budge from 95K. But they have convinced me that they cannot be trusted (even for car salesmen).

They never pick up my calls and expect me to work around THEIR time and tried to pull a ridiculous stunt yesterday that made it nearly impossible for me to deal with them even if they went down significantly on the price.

As far as I know, there are only 2 untitled whites on the market. One is Fletcher Jones and the other is Ray Cantena. Are there any other untitled white CLK63 Blacks out there that I don't know about?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
please share your experience with FJ.....that is what this website is all about
Old 04-17-2009, 10:22 AM

08 CLK63 BS
please share your experience with FJ.....that is what this website is all about
Well, the first issue I had was that they never pick up the phone and only call me when they "get around to it." I then resorted to trying to contact them via "Live Chat" on the Cars.com website and was successful the first time. But beyond that, there were suddenly "no online reps available."

I found that odd and it occurred to me that perhaps it was because I was entering the live chat from the CLK63 BS listing and they knew it was me. Seemed like a long shot but I figured I'd find out of that were the case. So I went to a listing they have for an SLR Mclaren, clicked on live chat, and low and behold....DING! A salesperson was suddenly available...the SAME GUY I'VE BEEN TRYING TO CALL ALL DAY (Ken btw). At that point, I was convinced that he was trying to dodge me, which is odd being that I haven't actually even agreed to buy the car yet. It's almost as though his goal is to get me to NOT buy the car...

So after a few days, I decided that I'm going to go with Ray Catena being that they seem more professional and are so close to me. I politely explained to the salesperson at FJ that I was offered a comparable deal from a local dealer and that unless the come down significantly on the price, it really makes no sense for me to deal with all the hassles of getting it all the way out in Chicago. He understood and told me he'll keep me posted if they can offer me a better deal.

I then get a call from him telling me that Ray Catena is pulling my chain and that the car was never available in the first place. He insisted that I called them as a anonymous buyer and speak to any sales rep and ask them to check the availability of the white CLK63 Black Series and assured me that they will tell me that it was sold a long time ago. I was almost positive that he was BSing me, but he said it with such conviction that I actually got a little worried and called. When I did, the salesperson at Catena confirmed that the white one is still there but is not available because there's already a buyer for it...which is me...

I'm still wondering what he was hoping to accomplish with that, but he seems to keep finding senseless ways to waste my time, **** me off, and make me less inclined to deal with him. So I guess my beef is more geared towards that salesperson rather than the FJ franchise, but I doubt I would ever consider buying a car from them in the future.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by slacker55

I then get a call from him telling me that Ray Catena is pulling my chain and that the car was never available in the first place. He insisted that I called them as a anonymous buyer and speak to any sales rep and ask them to check the availability of the white CLK63 Black Series and assured me that they will tell me that it was sold a long time ago. ..
When I did, the salesperson at Catena confirmed that the white one is still there but is not available because there's already a buyer for it...which is me...
He probably spoke to another sales person and got info that conflicts with yours. Maybe.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:52 AM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
He probably spoke to another sales person and got info that conflicts with yours. Maybe.
He probably hoped I was bluffing to try to get a better deal and was attempting to call me out. But who knows?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
please share your experience with Fletcher Jones.....that is what this website is all about
I too have a horror story buying from FJ in Chicago....... My wife and I bought our Audi S8 from them in November 2008 and aside from them not being able to tell the truth about ANYTHING and shipping a filthy car it took 3 months to get the title!!!!! They are complete f!ckups!!!!! Don't get me started....

Last edited by user z478747; 04-17-2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: FJ = Fletcher Jones for future Google searches....
Old 04-17-2009, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Catena confirmed that the white one is still there but is not available because there's already a buyer for it...which is me...
.....btw, congrats on your white BS. It IS the best color...... Of course I might be a little biased?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
good story and i have spoken with that guy at FJ. I make it a point to not disclose to dealers what other cars im looking at cuz i wouldnt put it past them to *** up my deal.....just like he possibly tried doing to you.

one of the newly listed cars is near me in Miami at a place i wrote up previously......im curious to see if that car is as beat up as the last one.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:33 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by chuck z
.....btw, congrats on your white BS. It IS the best color...... Of course I might be a little biased?

Haha thanks. Well I'm supposed to go pick it up tomorrow but I'm not planning on signing for it just yet unless they give me a super deal on an extended warranty. I was told that I could extend it up to 3 additional years with a total of 100K miles. I'm not sure if he's referring to a factory warranty or an aftermarket one...but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

As for the color, we're all a little biased but I think with the CLK BS, white is the most "effective" color in terms of "showing off" all the carbon fiber body accents. But I'm a little biased too. Because even if they take away all the carbon fiber, I'd probably get white anyway...
Old 04-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Manufacturer
Congrats and show some pics!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:54 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by COR Forged
Congrats and show some pics!!!
Thanks and I will. I'm very tempted to throw on some 20s and maybe the evosport DTM wing. But I'm not sure I'm willing to pay 4500 for a spoiler. Does anyone on this forum actually have it?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
I make it a point to not disclose to dealers what other cars im looking at cuz i wouldnt put it past them to *** up my deal.....just like he possibly tried doing to you.
Same here.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Thanks and I will. I'm very tempted to throw on some 20s and maybe the evosport DTM wing. But I'm not sure I'm willing to pay 4500 for a spoiler. Does anyone on this forum actually have it?

Wheels yes, spoiler no way..... IMHO of course. Not sure I've seen anyone on this forum with that spoiler.

Yes, pictures please.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:43 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Wheels yes, spoiler no way..... IMHO of course. Not sure I've seen anyone on this forum with that spoiler.

Yes, pictures please.
Man...now I'm tempted to get the spoiler. But the only problem (aside from the ridiculous price) is that it appears that it will require drilling holes in the trunk. And the factory spoiler looks nice as is so I guess we'll see...

I'm also thinking of getting these wheels. They are by Auto Couture. What do you guys think?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Man...now I'm tempted to get the spoiler. But the only problem (aside from the ridiculous price) is that it appears that it will require drilling holes in the trunk. And the factory spoiler looks nice as is so I guess we'll see...
.....did you really think that thing could be mounted w/o drilling holes? Seriously, if you're going to drill holes in a CLK BS why worry so much about getting a new one b/c not only is a new one worth what the used one is as soon as you drive it off the lot but now you've got a used one with holes in it.

I'm also thinking of getting these wheels. They are by Auto Couture. What do you guys think?

Do you really want to know?

Okay, I think they are fugly too but, that's just me........ what do I know?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
.....did you really think that thing could be mounted w/o drilling holes? Seriously, if you're going to drill holes in a CLK BS why worry so much about getting a new one b/c not only is a new one worth what the used one is as soon as you drive it off the lot but now you've got a used one with holes in it.
Dang Chuck, that was some tough love!

Sorry Slack, but I'm with Chuck ... but somehow I think the contrarian side attracts you.
Do what makes you happy.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:56 PM

08 CLK63 BS

Do you really want to know?

Well I respect any opinion including yours. I think these wheels are interesting but I haven't seen them on a car yet so it's difficult to say. I'm unsure about the silver accents on the spokes but I was thinking of going all black with them anyway since they are made to order. Or it might be better off for me to just powdercoat the factory wheels if I want to go for the "black on white" look.

As for the spoiler, I think it looks unique but the car itself is "unique" as is. So I'm not sure I want to risk the resale value just to be a little "more unique."

Decisions, decisons...
Old 04-17-2009, 11:15 PM

2011 C63
so for the price of the not to great (being super modest) wing and those 3 piece wheels, you should just get those HRE with the dymag barrels, in a 19" and lower it a little and call it a day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of going "Black"