CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

black on track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
Originally Posted by SMP
Great pictures. Who was behind the wheel, you or Stefan Roser ?
me im afraid . the car wasnt handling right was sliding everywhere
Old 07-17-2009, 02:51 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have you fiddled with the alignemnt? What do you have it set at all around? Nice pics. Agreed steering wheel is on wrong side!
Old 07-17-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by spr
Have you fiddled with the alignemnt? What do you have it set at all around? Nice pics. Agreed steering wheel is on wrong side!
i have not touched the geo sorry i mean alignment ( gotta learn these american terms ) its completely standard ( amg settings ) . thanks for the pics comment .

also the wheel is on the correct side . we drive on the left because in ye olde days knights could draw their swords and fight easier on that side .( apparently if you were a lefty , tough luck ). granted that is about as much use now as double d cups on a goldfish but hey i got to defend the realm
Old 07-17-2009, 04:33 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hahah. I've heard of that reasoning before. Comedy on the goldfish... in the US we call them gold-diggers hehe

We need a nice thread on alignment settings and results!!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by spr
Hahah. I've heard of that reasoning before. Comedy on the goldfish... in the US we call them gold-diggers hehe

We need a nice thread on alignment settings and results!!!!
yes please ! yes please !
Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by WTDoom
yes please ! yes please !
Jimmy is the man to talk to regarding suspension setup...
Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
me im afraid . the car wasnt handling right was sliding everywhere
It is odd you would have trouble with stock settings. I might ask if you gave the Corsas enough time to heat up, as they need several laps. Otherwise the car slides the rear quite a bit.
As this car steers much more from the rear, you need to adjust braking (not too heavy on trail braking) and line (don't apex too late), to get the best from it. If your problem was losing the tail, these three things will help.
If the problems were in the front, I think you need to check to make sure nothing is binding up. Good luck. AS
Old 07-18-2009, 02:12 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
It is odd you would have trouble with stock settings. I might ask if you gave the Corsas enough time to heat up, as they need several laps. Otherwise the car slides the rear quite a bit.
As this car steers much more from the rear, you need to adjust braking (not too heavy on trail braking) and line (don't apex too late), to get the best from it. If your problem was losing the tail, these three things will help.
If the problems were in the front, I think you need to check to make sure nothing is binding up. Good luck. AS
Perhaps he had what a few of us have had from the factory...POSITIVE camber in the rear (fromthe factory). Mine was on the drivers rear causing the car to become REALLY unstable under heavy braking and turn in.
Or, perhaps he is really Sideways Stefan
Old 07-18-2009, 06:33 AM

sorry guys i was being tongue in cheek
( i was excusing the poor corner taking form ).
to be fair the amg set up seemed fine as a compromise between road and track . im going to try the nordschleife settings ( available from amg ) and ill keep you posted as to how it goes .
Old 07-19-2009, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
im going to try the nordschleife settings ( available from amg ) and ill keep you posted as to how it goes .
WTD,
I'd really like to know the settings if you wouldn't mind sharing the data.
Jimmy
Old 07-19-2009, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

im going to try the nordschleife settings ( available from amg ) and ill keep you posted as to how it goes .
WTD,
I'd really like to know the Nordschleife settings if you wouldn't mind sharing the data.
Jimmy
Old 07-19-2009, 10:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK BS
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
WTD,
I'd really like to know the Nordschleife settings if you wouldn't mind sharing the data.
Jimmy
Ditto...that would be very interesting
Old 07-20-2009, 02:50 PM
LZH
Banned

Me too....but from what I understand the Ring time Bernd Schnieder turned in the BS was on the factory settings. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:41 PM

WTD,
Jimmy
Originally Posted by GeoGeo
Ditto...that would be very interesting
of course gentlemen . as soon as i make contact ( hopefully tomorrow i meet the top guy at brooklands and he is meant to call amg !)

Originally Posted by LZH
Me too....but from what I understand the Ring time Bernd Schnieder turned in the BS was on the factory settings. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
there is a lot of dispute on the schneider time here in europe . it is alleged that he was actually quoted saying " i think this is a 745 ring car " and didnt actually drive it that fast . ( to answer the question though it was standard settings )
also the sport auto times were completely standard settings and from what i hear the track was " damp and leafy in places "
im sure you know that leaves and damp are a SERIOUS issue in the green hell .
here is an interesting tidbit for you all . one of the manthey staff told me that when they were testing the black at the ring ( amg that is ) the drivers told him that in their opinion the car was potentially better than the clk dtm ( road version obviously ) if set up properly . a lot of this is down to the better gearbox and " geometry tricks we learned developing the dtm " .
also along with the corvettes ( who would believe that from manthey ?!) one of the only cars they rate on the ring is " der clk 63 black serious "
dont you all just love the black SERIOUS ?

Last edited by WTDoom; 07-20-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

of course gentlemen . as soon as i make contact ( hopefully tomorrow i meet the top guy at brooklands and he is meant to call amg !)

there is a lot of dispute on the schneider time here in europe . it is alleged that he was actually quoted saying " i think this is a 745 ring car " and didnt actually drive it that fast . ( to answer the question though it was standard settings )
also the sport auto times were completely standard settings and from what i hear the track was " damp and leafy in places "
im sure you know that leaves and damp are a SERIOUS issue in the green hell .
here is an interesting tidbit for you all . one of the manthey staff told me that when they were testing the black at the ring ( amg that is ) the drivers told him that in their opinion the car was potentially better than the clk dtm ( road version obviously ) if set up properly . a lot of this is down to the better gearbox and " geometry tricks we learned developing the dtm " .
also along with the corvettes ( who would believe that from manthey ?!) one of the only cars they rate on the ring is " der clk 63 black serious "
dont you all just love the black SERIOUS ?
WTD
I have run head to head with CLK DTMs at the Sachenring, the BS is quicker on most tracks. The long high speed tracks like Spa would give the edge to the DTM's but in most situation BS can put the power down better than the DTM's. It's really just a matter of refinement by AMG.

The 7:45 was reported by Car&Driver when they interviewed Bernd Schneider.
I asked what the time was at the factory and they would only say it's well under 8 minutes.

After driving my car on the track, I can tell you there's a lot left in the set up from the stock alignment. Can't wait for the Nordschleif specs'.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:48 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
WTD
I have run head to head with CLK DTMs at the Sachenring, the BS is quicker on most tracks. The long high speed tracks like Spa would give the edge to the DTM's but in most situation BS can put the power down better than the DTM's. It's really just a matter of refinement by AMG. . . .
Hi Jim,

In 2006 I was on the Nuerbrgring at an AMG Driving Event with multiple CLK-DTM's. I was driving a "Normal" CLK63 Coupe provided by AMG (which, incidentally, had very different shift points than any other Mercedes that I have ever driven, including my CLK63 Black Series - it seemed like it downshifted to the next lower gear anytime that I would back off on the gas).

I don't have any idea as to the horsepower rating of this CLK63, but I was able to achieve over 270 kph on the main straight. However, on a long, uphill section (it could be the Kesselchen section of the course) I had my right foot buried against the firewall, just steering and enjoying the power of the car, when a pair of CLK-DTM's just flew by me. Contest over.

I have also been at Spa-Francorchamps with the CLK-DTM's but the conditions were wet, so hard to make any real comparison. Also have been at Hockenheim, where again, there was no comparison to any other AMG's there. Finally, was on the Ascari Race Resort in Ronda, Spain, driving a SLK55 Black Series and the CLK-DTM's were markedly faster than the SLK55 BS. They never had a chance of getting close to the lap times of one of the CLK-DTM's.

They are to be respected.

JDB
Attached Thumbnails black on track-p1000795.jpg  

Last edited by JDB; 07-20-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JDB
Hi Jim,

In 2006 I was on the Nuerbrgring at an AMG Driving Event with multiple CLK-DTM's. I was driving a "Normal" CLK63 Coupe provided by AMG (which, incidentally, had very different shift points than any other Mercedes that I have ever driven, including my CLK63 Black Series - it seemed like it downshifted to the next lower gear anytime that I would back off on the gas).

I don't have any idea as to the horsepower rating of this CLK63, but I was able to achieve over 270 kph on the main straight. However, on a long, uphill section (it could be the Kesselchen section of the course) I had my right foot buried against the firewall, just steering and enjoying the power of the car, when a pair of CLK-DTM's just flew by me. Contest over.

I have also been at Spa-Francorchamps with the CLK-DTM's but the conditions were wet, so hard to make any real comparison. Also have been at Hockenheim, where again, there was no comparison to any other AMG's there. Finally, was on the Ascari Race Resort in Ronda, Spain, driving a SLK55 Black Series and the CLK-DTM's were markedly faster than the SLK55 BS. They never had a chance of getting close to the lap times of one of the CLK-DTM's.

They are to be respected.

JDB
Hi Dennis,
Great observation and I would recommend anyone with the opportunity to attend one of the AMG driving events in europe which are at a level beyond what is offered in the US by any manufacturer.

I spoke at length with the driver coaches who ran the DTM's against the BS and in their preparation for the AMG Masters Sports Trophy races. They all agreed that the BS were faster around the Sachenring track due in part to the KW suspension and upgraded chassis based upon their driving head to head. My experience was being able to come out of the corners sooner and hard.. It seemed that the DTM's were playing catchup and they would catch me but then there was the next corner.

Several customer DTM's ran at the AMG Masters but they were modified and wicked fast. In the end the BS were easier to drive fast. The modified DTM's had to modulate their power which is trickier to do having all the that torque down low. For the DTM's on the power too soon either spun the tires or created oversteer. I know the DTM has a cult following due in part to their rarity. Given that they were 270K euro's the BS is a bargin,
Old 07-21-2009, 08:23 AM

ok update on the amg settings .
apparently on the 30th i will be able to talk to someone regarding " suspension settings , engine and gearbox modifying options "
before we all get excited this guy has admitted NO KNOWLEDGE of the amg special vehicles .
ill keep you posted .
Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 AM
lsb

clk black series
Hi WT.

It is a small world, I live in Surrey and also own a BS. I have been waiting for another UK owner to appear for the last 8 months, welcome.

I have a few questions/points :

Did you purchase the car from Bramley ?

I was told by Mercedes that there are 29 UK cars, hope your figure is correct though !! (future values)

Concerning upgrades, especially gearbox software upgrades I was told no can do by Mercedes/Amg; so please keep me informed on what your source comes up with.

Really glad that you are enjoying the car so much. I'm afraid to admit that I haven't taken mine on track ( use a Lotus 2-eleven for that ) but love it all the same
Old 07-22-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by lsb
Hi WT.

It is a small world, I live in Surrey and also own a BS. I have been waiting for another UK owner to appear for the last 8 months, welcome.

I have a few questions/points :

Did you purchase the car from Bramley ?

I was told by Mercedes that there are 29 UK cars, hope your figure is correct though !! (future values)

Concerning upgrades, especially gearbox software upgrades I was told no can do by Mercedes/Amg; so please keep me informed on what your source comes up with.

Really glad that you are enjoying the car so much. I'm afraid to admit that I haven't taken mine on track ( use a Lotus 2-eleven for that ) but love it all the same
mate im over the moon to hear this ! i live around kingswood and see a black regularly tell me this isnt you !?
as for bramleys i actually sold my car to bramleys before then missed it so much got this one from clincard . i rarely track the black ( its my daily drive ) but use the gt3 .
lets stay in touch maybe we even do a lot of the same tracksays?
i normally use goldtrack, bookatrack , rma and easytrack .
its a small world indeed .
as for the upgrades you are probably correct , remember my info came from a guy on the floor at the showroom (and he still has not even been able to put me in touch with anyone at affalterbach yet !)
today i spoke with a contact at romans and another guy at brooklands that deals with the slr and maybach side of things . apparently the guy i need is on holiday and is expected back at the end of the month .
having said that i met a guy at spa with a clk dtm and he told me the performance studio ( previously special vehicles division ) " can do whatever you like at the appropriate cost " .
i am just keen to see what is possible because for me the car is a keeper .
ill keep you posted .
feel free to pm me and if we are not too far maybe we can go on track or meet up for a coffee ?
take care , b

Last edited by WTDoom; 07-22-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
I searched the streets of Godalming this week and didn't see a single Black. They do like Porsches there though.

Actually I've only seen 1 other Black in the wild before .... that was Texas though, not Surrey. Nice countryside you guys have there!

On a side note, I did the Brooklands track day 2 years ago and I wasn't overly impressed by the knowledge of the people that I met. My instructor (Piers) was great. I hope you get the info you're after WT, it will help all of us.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Originally Posted by JDB
Hi Jim,

Just curious does anybody else here in the US have their car downshift when you decelerate? I noticed mine does that and i remember someone wanting MB to add that feature. Wondering if they finally did it or does everyone's car downshift?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:57 AM
lsb

clk black series
Hi WT,

Thanks for the reply. I live in the Farnham area so not too far away, but it's not me that you have seen in Kingswood. A good friend of mine had (until last week) the "top gear" BS and he lived in Reigate. He told me that he had seen another silver BS in Reigate so it appears we have a stronghold on the UK cars in our neck of the woods !!

Saw your new car on Autotrader, glad it found such an enthusiastic owner. Also noticed the old one at Bramleys. It seems as of late there is a sudden interest in the BS, they all seem to be selling - good to see.

Last year a large percentage of my trackdays were with Goldtrack so I guess we have already shared tracktime at some point at Silverstone. Always a lot of gt3's and RS's there. At that time I would have been in a bright orange sequential gearboxed Caterham.This year I am using Lotus On Track a lot, amongst others. I am doing Bedford GT on monday (focussed events) in the Lotus if you fancy it ? If not maybe we'll sort out a beer.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 AM
lsb

clk black series
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
I searched the streets of Godalming this week and didn't see a single Black. They do like Porsches there though.

Actually I've only seen 1 other Black in the wild before .... that was Texas though, not Surrey. Nice countryside you guys have there!

Thanks DFW01E55,

You were only about 5 miles away from me when you were in Godalming, surprised you couldn't hear the exhaust note from there !! You are right they certainly do like their Porsche around here.

All the best.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by lsb
Hi WT,

Thanks for the reply. I live in the Farnham area so not too far away, but it's not me that you have seen in Kingswood. A good friend of mine had (until last week) the "top gear" BS and he lived in Reigate. He told me that he had seen another silver BS in Reigate so it appears we have a stronghold on the UK cars in our neck of the woods !!

Saw your new car on Autotrader, glad it found such an enthusiastic owner. Also noticed the old one at Bramleys. It seems as of late there is a sudden interest in the BS, they all seem to be selling - good to see.

Last year a large percentage of my trackdays were with Goldtrack so I guess we have already shared tracktime at some point at Silverstone. Always a lot of gt3's and RS's there. At that time I would have been in a bright orange sequential gearboxed Caterham.This year I am using Lotus On Track a lot, amongst others. I am doing Bedford GT on monday (focussed events) in the Lotus if you fancy it ? If not maybe we'll sort out a beer.
im doing the prorsche trackday at silly on tuesday .
lets sort out a beer !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: black on track