CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

black on track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
black on track

i have driven my black at spa against my 997 gt3 rs , it faired quite well all things considered . i was wondering if anyone has times for a modified black series and times before it was modified ? im interested in cars that have had suspension work and or engine mods .
please give details of track and mods , especially any euro tracks .
thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by WTDoom
i have driven my black at spa against my 997 gt3 rs , it faired quite well all things considered . i was wondering if anyone has times for a modified black series and times before it was modified ? im interested in cars that have had suspension work and or engine mods .
please give details of track and mods , especially any euro tracks .
thanks
WT
THANK YOU for posting a topic other than what's the BS selling for on Ebay and how much amg's depreciate!

I have a mountian of data, but I'm not going to give all my secrets away least they be used against me by Luke and Sascha.

The stock suspension is pretty good, but you need to stiffen the springs about 10-15%. Any more than that and you've crossed the line on street driveability. A high speed track like Spa, you need to stiffen it up. Flat out though Eau Rouge: Track times are really more dependant on driver and conditions than modifications, so I'll limit my comments to what I've achieved with various mods.
The car needs an alignment and ride height adjustment. I've already posted those numbers. Most BS have the ride height all wrong for the track.
The set up alone is worth two seconds at Willow Springs. Since most GT3's are more poorly aligned you would have an immediate advantage.

I've done the PC ecu and have their latest edition as the first interferred with the ESP. I don't believe all of the tuners have fully developed their software for TRACK driven cars. I've tested the upgraded ecu and you will pick up .8 to 1 second in 60-120 mph which is a lot in a straight line. The question is can you put the power down on the track. I've tested the car against Luke's stock car and until my tires came up to temp the additional power was useless. This brings me to my next modifiction and that would be more tire, something like a 305 Hoosier for the track.

I've run against 7GT3's with exhaust, chip, suspension and HOOSIERS... the result is "I've got nothing for that BS". Where the 7GT3 shines is in braking.
Where the Black gets it back is out of the corners and high speed corners.
The Black is easier to drive than than Porsche at high speed period.

Those mentioned mods should be good for 3 seconds a lap on a 2.5 mile road course more with Hoosier.

Jimmy
Old 07-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
WT
THANK YOU for posting a topic other than what's the BS selling for on Ebay and how much amg's depreciate!

I have a mountian of data, but I'm not going to give all my secrets away least they be used against me by Luke and Sascha.

The stock suspension is pretty good, but you need to stiffen the springs about 10-15%. Any more than that and you've crossed the line on street driveability. A high speed track like Spa, you need to stiffen it up. Flat out though Eau Rouge: Track times are really more dependant on driver and conditions than modifications, so I'll limit my comments to what I've achieved with various mods.
The car needs an alignment and ride height adjustment. I've already posted those numbers. Most BS have the ride height all wrong for the track.
The set up alone is worth two seconds at Willow Springs. Since most GT3's are more poorly aligned you would have an immediate advantage.

I've done the PC ecu and have their latest edition as the first interferred with the ESP. I don't believe all of the tuners have fully developed their software for TRACK driven cars. I've tested the upgraded ecu and you will pick up .8 to 1 second in 60-120 mph which is a lot in a straight line. The question is can you put the power down on the track. I've tested the car against Luke's stock car and until my tires came up to temp the additional power was useless. This brings me to my next modifiction and that would be more tire, something like a 305 Hoosier for the track.

I've run against 7GT3's with exhaust, chip, suspension and HOOSIERS... the result is "I've got nothing for that BS". Where the 7GT3 shines is in braking.
Where the Black gets it back is out of the corners and high speed corners.
The Black is easier to drive than than Porsche at high speed period.

Those mentioned mods should be good for 3 seconds a lap on a 2.5 mile road course more with Hoosier.

Jimmy
jim , im new here and with only 19 brit cars i dont really have anyone to discuss these things with . it seems like every time i ask a question you are there to help me out , cheers
thank you for the information , its exactly what i wanted to know ( estimate of how much time mods are worth ).
fyi we tested the black against the gt3rs all day . my rs has very extreme track optimised geo , ceramic brakes and cup car front spoiler and cup style rear it really is a track dog that i have been very comfortable driving . the black was completely standard and although not really in the same ballpark for ultimate times it was at least if not more fun . i got callum lokie ( pro british gt champion a few years back ) to take the black out for a while and he absolutely loved it ! he normally hates mercs and the surprise on his face was great to see .
i think a little bit of work on the black is the way forward ( deffo doing the geo ). but i dont want to go to crazy because its my daily drive .
i am very happy to hear that they can be made to perform in the same league (above ??) as my rs !!
what kind of power do you have ?
one of the reasons i sold my first car was after remapping the ecu ( by a VERY well respected uk firm ) the car never felt the same again , the shifts got slower and it wouldnt grumble and pop on the overrun . a few times it went into limp mode so i am very wary of playing with the ecu again , i would be very grateful if you had any ideas on this ?
also how many track miles have you done and more importantly how is she holding up ?
here are a few pics from spa ( ill post the good ones when i get them ) and if you can post some of yours that would be nice as ive never seen a red one .
take care and thanks again !
black vs gt2:

black serious

dog of war :

Last edited by WTDoom; 07-08-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:58 PM

by the way i annihilated my tyres ( pressure was too low i think )
what pressures you all running on track ?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Here's a couple of CLK63 Black Series that the AMG Driving Academy made available to the participants at the Spa-Francorchamps event back in May 2007.

Driving these cars on this track, ultimately led me to make the final decision that I had to have one.

JDB
black on track-p1000471.jpg
Old 07-08-2009, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

jim , im new here and with only 19 brit cars i dont really have anyone to discuss these things with . it seems like every time i ask a question you are there to help me out , cheers
thank you for the information , its exactly what i wanted to know ( estimate of how much time mods are worth ).
fyi we tested the black against the gt3rs all day . my rs has very extreme track optimised geo , ceramic brakes and cup car front spoiler and cup style rear it really is a track dog that i have been very comfortable driving . the black was completely standard and although not really in the same ballpark for ultimate times it was at least if not more fun . i got callum lokie ( pro british gt champion a few years back ) to take the black out for a while and he absolutely loved it ! he normally hates mercs and the surprise on his face was great to see .
i think a little bit of work on the black is the way forward ( deffo doing the geo ). but i dont want to go to crazy because its my daily drive .
i am very happy to hear that they can be made to perform in the same league (above ??) as my rs !!
what kind of power do you have ?
one of the reasons i sold my first car was after remapping the ecu ( by a VERY well respected uk firm ) the car never felt the same again , the shifts got slower and it wouldnt grumble and pop on the overrun . a few times it went into limp mode so i am very wary of playing with the ecu again , i would be very grateful if you had any ideas on this ?
also how many track miles have you done and more importantly how is she holding up ?
here are a few pics from spa ( ill post the good ones when i get them ) and if you can post some of yours that would be nice as ive never seen a red one .
take care and thanks again !
black vs gt2:

black serious

dog of war :
I'm also trying not to cross the line. It's far too easy to slap on the parts for track duty that completely ruin a car for the street.

In the ecu department don't let anyone tell you differently NOBODY has cracked the Siemans code (one would need a Cray supercomputer to do so) ergo thats why the limp mode on your prior car. The tunner put too much throtle that reacts with the ESP. We spent two track days clearing codes before EVOsport/PC figured it out. I'd ask any tuner if they have track tested the ecu and make them guarantee it won't throw a code.

Since your in europe I'd ring up the chaps at AMG and tell them your Jeremy Clarkson (he has a BS) see what they have in the Special Vehicle shop. I know they had some long tube headers and ECU to go with them that gave 40+ RWHP. (maybe a little too much for the street).

As far as reliability, I spoke to a guy with a DTM who's got 30K track Kilometer with no problems. I've had zero problems with many many track days. They told us at the factory we built this car to be used at the track AND drive home!

You're going to go thru tires but it isn't any worse than my Porsche turbo.
i'm running 44 hot front and 40 rear.

I posted some pictures under the thread my red black. Look forward to your pics.
Jimmy
Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
As Jimmy already mentioned, for track duty it needs some springs, lowering the ride height, adjusting compression and rebound settings on the shocks and a good alignment. If you do that, it will be handling quiet different on the track, but is still driveable on the street.

In regards to the ECU tune, I used to have it but went back to stock, because I put the car too many times into limp mode. I lost count on how many times I threw an ESP code driving on the street. At the track, usually on the second lap. Anyway, I haven't given up yet, still trying to get my hands on the F1 safety car tune.

Did you have Manthey trailer the GT3 while your were driving the Black to Spa? Sounds like you've had a lot of fun, sure is a great track. It's like the Nordschleife, you feel like you are going somewhere. Much better than those purpose built tracks. Well, let me talk to Jimmy. Maybe he's up for it and we'll bring our cars to Europe, running Spa with you.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
i have driven my black at spa against my 997 gt3 rs , it faired quite well all things considered ....
Have you timed yourself in both your Black Series and your GT3 on the same track? In other words, I'm wondering which car you post faster laptimes in. I ask because it will give people a sense of which car really is faster on a track for the average non-pro driver.......(apologies if you are a pro driver....).

My guess is that the CLK63 BS is the easier car to drive fast than any 911 on a track for the average person, even though the GT3 is ultimately faster when taken to the absolute limit by very experienced track drivers.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
I'm also trying not to cross the line. It's far too easy to slap on the parts for track duty that completely ruin a car for the street.

In the ecu department don't let anyone tell you differently NOBODY has cracked the Siemans code (one would need a Cray supercomputer to do so) ergo thats why the limp mode on your prior car. The tunner put too much throtle that reacts with the ESP. We spent two track days clearing codes before EVOsport/PC figured it out. I'd ask any tuner if they have track tested the ecu and make them guarantee it won't throw a code.

Since your in europe I'd ring up the chaps at AMG and tell them your Jeremy Clarkson (he has a BS) see what they have in the Special Vehicle shop. I know they had some long tube headers and ECU to go with them that gave 40+ RWHP. (maybe a little too much for the street).

As far as reliability, I spoke to a guy with a DTM who's got 30K track Kilometer with no problems. I've had zero problems with many many track days. They told us at the factory we built this car to be used at the track AND drive home!

You're going to go thru tires but it isn't any worse than my Porsche turbo.
i'm running 44 hot front and 40 rear.

I posted some pictures under the thread my red black. Look forward to your pics.
Jimmy
i suspected as much for the ecu , i was really disappointed and feared they were no good ( the tuners i mean )
thank you for the pressures and im glad the car is taking the track days well . i didnt want to track it but the old buzzard is so capable it is pity not to eh ?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by SMP
As Jimmy already mentioned, for track duty it needs some springs, lowering the ride height, adjusting compression and rebound settings on the shocks and a good alignment. If you do that, it will be handling quiet different on the track, but is still driveable on the street.

In regards to the ECU tune, I used to have it but went back to stock, because I put the car too many times into limp mode. I lost count on how many times I threw an ESP code driving on the street. At the track, usually on the second lap. Anyway, I haven't given up yet, still trying to get my hands on the F1 safety car tune.

Did you have Manthey trailer the GT3 while your were driving the Black to Spa? Sounds like you've had a lot of fun, sure is a great track. It's like the Nordschleife, you feel like you are going somewhere. Much better than those purpose built tracks. Well, let me talk to Jimmy. Maybe he's up for it and we'll bring our cars to Europe, running Spa with you.
thank you for the advice . as for the ecu i will contact amg about the mods jim mentioned and will keep you all posted .
i didnt have manthey trailer the car actually i have a very good friend ( that happens to be a very good technician ) drive the car over . it was a goldtrack day ( one of the better organized uk companies ).

seriously if you guys come all the way over to europe , i can take care of your hotel bills etc ( have a deal with the radisson there ) its the least i can do if you are going to come half way round the world ! it would be really great to see you both
also if you ever want to drive the uk tracks ( silverstone , donnington etc etc ) you would be welcome to crash round mine and i can sort dates etc

it would be great to have some black kicking serious *** here
we can throw in a ring trip and pop in to see manthey , black falcon etc etc

Last edited by WTDoom; 07-09-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Have you timed yourself in both your Black Series and your GT3 on the same track? In other words, I'm wondering which car you post faster laptimes in. I ask because it will give people a sense of which car really is faster on a track for the average non-pro driver.......(apologies if you are a pro driver....).

My guess is that the CLK63 BS is the easier car to drive fast than any 911 on a track for the average person, even though the GT3 is ultimately faster when taken to the absolute limit by very experienced track drivers.
sir , i have timed my first black series ( the screwed ecu one ) against the gt3 rs at silverstone . this was not a fair test as i am , deffo not a pro but very experienced on track in the rs . it is very well set up and i have driven porsche on track more than any other car. it was only the first time i drove the black on track .
regardless the black was stock ( not even a geo mod ) and it was just over 5 seconds off the rs's time .
Old 07-09-2009, 12:44 PM

hang on a minute , german machines blasting through europe ?
sounds familiar
Old 07-09-2009, 01:16 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
hang on a minute , german machines blasting through europe ?
sounds familiar
Your dirty little mind, thinking of King Tigers and Panthers? Well, they were about as thirsty as a CLK Black Series
Old 07-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by SMP
Your dirty little mind, thinking of King Tigers and Panthers? Well, they were about as thirsty as a CLK Black Series
Old 07-09-2009, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
PC,
On some tracks you might be right, but my personal experience is just the contrary. High speed tracks like Road America and Willow Springs the BS will edge out the GT3 with equal drivers. Forget about the internet racing times.
Luke's BS has run 1:33's at Willow, fact. Sam Hubinette in a stock GT3 1:36!
On Top Gear track the GT3 with momentium and braking beats the BS by 3 seconds. Depends on the track.
Jimmy
Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 PM

Public Transportation
really enjoyed this thread. the search is on.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:49 AM

i agree with jim . the black has a lot of potential and the one i timed against a fully track prepared gt3 rs ( that was my usual car ) was utterly stock and had a suspect ucu "upgrade" .

Last edited by WTDoom; 07-10-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:34 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Glad to see these cars are being used as they were intended. Jimmy is right on the money with all his comments about mods and the subsequent times you will most likely get out of them on the tack.
I have to echo his comments and say that the suspension is really the hidden gem on this car. It's damn good right out of the box despite needing an alignment. Personally, I cannot do much with mine as the ride would be horrible driving around LA and I'd never make it up my driveway if I lowered it. Yes, I have considered moving...
More power is always fun, but adding the ECU tune and long tube headers to a stock car is almost counter productive to turning a quick lap as the BS is already traction challenged. Sure it helps on the straights, but putting it down effectively in the turns is the real issue. I drove Jrcarts car on the track and I can say without a doubt, it was a totally different animal. The stock BS really hides it weight in the corners, and Jrcarts car was even better. Braking is the only real downside as it takes longer to haul this sucker down from high triple digit speeds. I think shedding weight is the best mod for this car - and the Dymags do a great job of that where it matters the most - unsprung weight and rotational mass.
The 33 time on the Big track at Willow that Jimmy referenced was frightening to say the least. Sliding through 8 across the track trying to pick up my turn in point for 9 at 130mph was not something I like doing in a street car - but, I had to at least once see what 10/10ths was like in this car…I won't be doing that again anytime soon....For that, I feel allot better having a full cage. Just as a data point....that day we also had a GT3 Cup car out there (996) with a pro driver on Hoosiers and he was turning the same lap times.
The BS has lots of get up and boogie...with a few minor changes, it's running true GT race car lap times on DOT approved rubber. Throw some Hoosiers on it and I shudder to think what would be possible.

To the OP - you should take your car on a nice road trip and hit the Performance Studio. I'm sure being a European model they would flash the newest transmission software onto your car giving you rev matched downshifts. Who knows, if you show up with a trunk full of beer I'm sure you could get them to flash your ECU with the same one they have been using in the white "Taxis".

Last edited by LZH; 07-10-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by LZH
Glad to see these cars are being used as they were intended. Jimmy is right on the money with all his comments about mods and the subsequent times you will most likely get out of them on the tack.
I have to echo his comments and say that the suspension is really the hidden gem on this car. It's damn good right out of the box despite needing an alignment. Personally, I cannot do much with mine as the ride would be horrible driving around LA and I'd never make it up my driveway if I lowered it. Yes, I have considered moving...
More power is always fun, but adding the ECU tune and long tube headers to a stock car is almost counter productive to turning a quick lap as the BS is already traction challenged. Sure it helps on the straights, but putting it down effectively in the turns is the real issue. I drove Jrcarts car on the track and I can say without a doubt, it was a totally different animal. The stock BS really hides it weight in the corners, and Jrcarts car was even better. Braking is the only real downside as it takes longer to haul this sucker down from high triple digit speeds. I think shedding weight is the best mod for this car - and the Dymags do a great job of that where it matters the most - unsprung weight and rotational mass.
The 33 time on the Big track at Willow that Jimmy referenced was frightening to say the least. Sliding through 8 across the track trying to pick up my turn in point for 9 at 130mph was not something I like doing in a street car - but, I had to at least once see what 10/10ths was like in this car…I won't be doing that again anytime soon....For that, I feel allot better having a full cage. Just as a data point....that day we also had a GT3 Cup car out there (996) with a pro driver on Hoosiers and he was turning the same lap times.
The BS has lots of get up and boogie...with a few minor changes, it's running true GT race car lap times on DOT approved rubber. Throw some Hoosiers on it and I shudder to think what would be possible.

To the OP - you should take your car on a nice road trip and hit the Performance Studio. I'm sure being a European model they would flash the newest transmission software onto your car giving you rev matched downshifts. Who knows, if you show up with a trunk full of beer I'm sure you could get them to flash your ECU with the same one they have been using in the white "Taxis".
a well driven cup car should be well ahead of a road car if ( very important ) set up correctly and the driver is a porsche specialist .i am trying to make contact with ps and will keep you posted .
lzh , i what are these white taxi you speak of ? i tried a search but could find nothing . sounds very interesting could you post a pic or a link please ?
Old 07-11-2009, 01:51 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Here ya go....

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...ht=laguna+seca

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ht=laguna+seca
Old 07-14-2009, 05:38 AM

thank you lzh .
Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM
LZH
Banned

Old 07-14-2009, 04:20 PM

here are some better pics as promised !

Old 07-14-2009, 04:37 PM
LZH
Banned

Very cool pics....although your steering weel is on the wrong side
Old 07-14-2009, 10:56 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Great pictures. Who was behind the wheel, you or Stefan Roser ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: black on track