CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

LET ECU Re-Flash, Is It Worth It?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
LET ECU Re-Flash, Is It Worth It?

Today I met with Wayne from L.E.T. who offered to re-flash my ECU for a good price. I believe he said I should realize an increase of 30-35 rwhp (50 at the crank) and 30 ft pounds of torque. Most of these gains are realized at/above 6K rpm. He'll also reset the transmission shift points that should add 3-4 hundred rpm. I'm not sure if I want this done. Following our talk he plugged his computer into my OBDII port and collected my current program. All I need to do now is send him the ECU and he'll quickly re-flash it.

Has anyone had their BS ECU re-flashed (by LET or anyone else), did you experience any noticeable gains vs. "seat of the pants, butt-meter" and was it worth it? L.E.T. (and Wayne) is a great AMG tuner but Wayne admitted they have very little experience with a BS.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
stay away from remaps on bs .
Old 09-20-2009, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Here's what the tunners won't tell you. Some reflashes will interfer with the ESP. If they are too agressive on the mapping, you will have error codes and limp mode shut downs if you drive agressively or on the track. The dyno will not show this fault becasue there is not side loading of the car. Several of us have learned the hard way, its very hard to improve on the factory tune for oveall reliability.
Jimmy
PS: I have an EvoSport tune which has solved these problems.
Jimmy
Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Here's what the tunners won't tell you. Some reflashes will interfer with the ESP. If they are too agressive on the mapping, you will have error codes and limp mode shut downs if you drive agressively or on the track. The dyno will not show this fault becasue there is not side loading of the car. Several of us have learned the hard way, its very hard to improve on the factory tune for oveall reliability.
Jimmy
PS: I have an EvoSport tune which has solved these problems.
Jimmy
Thanks Jim, that's good feedback. Did you notice any improvement with your EvoSport tune and how much did they nail you for it? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
Thanks Jim, that's good feedback. Did you notice any improvement with your EvoSport tune and how much did they nail you for it? Thanks.
I ran a before and after 60-120mph test which in my opinion removes all the variables you get with dyno numbers.

Stock: 9:0 seconds
EvoSport 8:2 seconds
The times were recorded with a Racelogic Performance box.

The first version of the "tune" was a little quicker in a striaght line (8:0 secs) but interfered with the esp on the track. Props to Evosport for working out the glitch. Seems no one execpt SMP and myself had problems and we traced it to higher cornering speeds and side loads that only show up when one tracks the car.
The price of the tune was included in some other suspension work, so you'll have to contact Brad or Simon at Evosport.
Jimmy
Old 09-21-2009, 04:12 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
I ran a before and after 60-120mph test which in my opinion removes all the variables you get with dyno numbers.

Stock: 9:0 seconds
EvoSport 8:2 seconds
The times were recorded with a Racelogic Performance box.

The first version of the "tune" was a little quicker in a striaght line (8:0 secs) but interfered with the esp on the track. Props to Evosport for working out the glitch. Seems no one execpt SMP and myself had problems and we traced it to higher cornering speeds and side loads that only show up when one tracks the car.
The price of the tune was included in some other suspension work, so you'll have to contact Brad or Simon at Evosport.
Jimmy
Sometimes SMP confuses the street with the track and did put it into limp mode first on the street on one of his midnight runs . In all fairness though, you have to load up the suspension going through a corner pretty hard. Most will never take the car to that level and have this problem.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:40 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by SMP
Sometimes SMP confuses the street with the track and did put it into limp mode first on the street on one of his midnight runs . In all fairness though, you have to load up the suspension going through a corner pretty hard. Most will never take the car to that level and have this problem.
True...you REALLY have to be pushing it for the yaw sensors to throw it into limp mode as evidenced in turn 8 at Willow. As SMP said, if you don't track it that much, you probably won't ever throw it into limp mode on the street.
It should also be said that a good tune yields much better gains across the powerband with some longtube headers.

Trending Topics

Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

A few
PM JRCart for the best advice on Black Series tuning.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FluidMotorUnion
PM JRCart for the best advice on Black Series tuning.
You wouldn't be a neighbor of his would you? Correct me if I'm wrong, JrC's ecu was with complete long tube headers, exhaust and intake and has been well chronicled. I think 4ocious qustion was ecu only.

Between Luke (LZH) and SMP we've got a lot of time testing the differences in stock vs modified on the track.
Jimmy
Old 10-04-2009, 07:15 AM

clk63 cs, bunch 911,bentley,
asura design

have you guys ever heard of asura design?? they said that they can gain up to 80hp for the BS or you guys simply swear by EVOSPORT ?

sl
Old 10-04-2009, 11:52 PM

CLK63 BS, Panamera, Prius, Mini Cooper S
Originally Posted by seanlee768
have you guys ever heard of asura design?? they said that they can gain up to 80hp for the BS or you guys simply swear by EVOSPORT ?

sl
I just checked out their website. It is 80hp gain for the C63, not the BS.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:54 AM

clk63 cs, bunch 911,bentley,
for bs

i talked to them, they said they can do bs too, that is why i want to know anyone had experience dealing with them ?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:22 AM

Public Transportation
If Evosport has solved the problems, I would stay with them. Don't want just anyone re-flashing your car.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:55 AM

CLK63 BS, Panamera, Prius, Mini Cooper S
Originally Posted by seanlee768
i talked to them, they said they can do bs too, that is why i want to know anyone had experience dealing with them ?
Yes, but C63 engine comes detuned from the factory while the BS comes with 500 hp. They may get 80 hp more from the C63 engine but probably much less gain for the BS.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JLee
Yes, but C63 engine comes detuned from the factory while the BS comes with 500 hp. They may get 80 hp more from the C63 engine but probably much less gain for the BS.
Agreed. If you notice, they (tuners) don't push E63/CLS63 tunes because you don't get much.

I was talking to Jerry at LET about a C63 tune. Real nice guy and I felt bad that he called during his evening hours on a Friday. He will definitely give you the time and attention.

EDIT: Just called Asura Design @ their 714 # and it is forwarded to a 408 cell (presumably). No answer.

Last edited by Sincity; 10-05-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:53 AM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
id let any old goat reprogram all my cars ecu's . i know that amg , porsche et all are just useless and spend pennies on this stuff . im sure bob and his 500 usd laptop can do a much better job , taking into account all situations , parameters and necessary safety margins etc etc ....

Last edited by WTDoom; 10-06-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:10 PM

Public Transportation
I have been reading the Evosport website. 30HP for ECU, 20HP for new intake and 15 on pulley. 65 more HP for $4500? That is the maximum for all 3. Even if you get 55 or 60 it sounds worth it to me.

Anybody have all three?
Old 10-06-2009, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by forhamilton
I have been reading the Evosport website. 30HP for ECU, 20HP for new intake and 15 on pulley. 65 more HP for $4500? That is the maximum for all 3. Even if you get 55 or 60 it sounds worth it to me.

Anybody have all three?
I believe that jrcart does.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:52 PM

Public Transportation
Just ordered air box, filters and tune. Will know shortly.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 PM

e55amg
Originally Posted by Sincity
EDIT: Just called Asura Design @ their 714 # and it is forwarded to a 408 cell (presumably). No answer.
Exactly right, the 408# is my mobile number. I typically have my calls forwarded when I am out of the office or on the dyno.

Sean, long time no see...our gains are proven to be ~80hp for the C63.
As a few here have pointed out, the CLK63BS will net slightly less HP gains after tuning as it does come more highly tuned from the factory.

This is in part due to the harmonics of the factory header and exhaust combination in addition to a slightly more aggressive fuel map on the BS. The C63 has the most restrictive factory exhaust out of the 63 family. However, we are working on a solution for that.

Last edited by asura; 11-02-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by asura
Exactly right, the 408# is my mobile number. I typically have my calls forwarded when I am out of the office or on the dyno.

Sean, long time no see...our gains are proven to be ~80hp for the C63.
As a few here have pointed out, the CLK63BS will net slightly less HP gains after tuning as it does come more highly tuned from the factory.

This is in part due to the harmonics of the factory header and exhaust combination in addition to a slightly more aggressive fuel map on the BS. The C63 has the most restrictive factory exhaust out of the 63 family. However, we are working on a solution for that.
How does your tune compare to the Singh tune? Both are @ 80 HP for the C63. The C63 restriction from the factory is from the exhaust manifold back. The same exhaust manifold is used on the BS, C, and E (I haven't checked 2010 PN). What pieces are you working on? Please post in the C63 forum.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:23 PM

e55amg
Originally Posted by Sincity
How does your tune compare to the Singh tune? Both are @ 80 HP for the C63. The C63 restriction from the factory is from the exhaust manifold back. The same exhaust manifold is used on the BS, C, and E (I haven't checked 2010 PN). What pieces are you working on? Please post in the C63 forum.
I work directly with Singh, so the tune you would receive is the same.

You are also correct in your research regarding the restriction in the C63. The cat-back exhaust system for the C63 is slightly smaller in diameter.

We are working on developing exhaust manifolds and a complete exhaust system with HFCs.