CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Starting to look for a BS....but where?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, 2006 Ford GT
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
based on your initial post and your sig saying you have a Ford GT, how do they compare to you? I prefer the BS to my Cobra just due to the fatigue factor with the Cobra. How about you?
Other that the excessive tire noise, no cruise control, awkward radio location, dificulty entering & exiting the car (occasionally banging your head on the door overhang), lack of luggage space, and being on high alert when you're driving it, it's an exceptional car! All of which add to the fatigue factor.

The GT is a sexy timeless design & definately makes up for one's small "manliness". However, I find the Black to be a far better car to drive & just as much fun behind the wheel.

I bought my BS in Dayton Ohio & drove it 800 miles to Eastern MA & I casn't imagine making the same trip in the GT.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 PM

WHT BS
Originally Posted by paul65k
Well now isn't that Special

Here's a guy who comes to the forum to ask for some advice on how to find a particular USED car and your only advice is just buy a brand new one at twice the price he already stated that he is looking to spend. If that was me I'd sure feel like it was valuable feedback

PS Patients are those people that Doctors see in their office....Patience is the "Virtue"
I dont think he was telling him to spend twice what he can afford and buy new. In my opinion, his message is to get what makes you happy even it means you have to pay a little more.

BTW

Patience is a virtue not THE
Old 01-26-2010, 08:30 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by Eitan1

lol!!!
Good catch.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:14 PM

2016 E250 Bluetec 2002 CL55, 2000 430CLK Cab
Originally Posted by LZH
lol!!!
Good catch.
Actually if you look back at the original quote Patients (should have been Patience) was listed as A virtue....therefore it was a tangible entity....and as such the use of the word "The" was appropriate as it was referring to something tangible.....So while Patience is definately A virtue in my contect it was THE virtue I was referring to.

nice try!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Some of the responses to these "BS wanted" threads crack me up....... and there sure have been a few of them lately!

Everyone has their own way of rationalizing these cars, myself included! Me, I enjoy the ***** out of mine and it sits in the garage more than it's on the road! But, boy when I take it out it puts a HUGE smile on my face!!!!! You drive yours everyday, on the track....... that's great! Those that don't, that's great too! There are the same comments and arguments on every other car forum too... blah, blah, blah.........

When it comes to these threads; I guess if the number of BSs for sale were plentiful and the car the OP is looking for were listed online somewhere there'd be no need for these threads? Personally, I think the number of available cars is going to keep going down and remain low to a point where there will be times in the not to distant future where there will not be any for sale. Supply and demand?

As far as comparisons, I for one hardly think the RS4 nor the M3 are even in the same league as the BS. While both are great cars in their own right both are/were produced in numbers that do away with any sort of exclusivity. The Audi can barely be distinguished from its lesser siblings as can be said of the M3. I doubt many will mistake the BS for a CLK550 or even a CLK63 and if you don't think this is a special car your completely jaded in your opinion? The GT3 and TT are definitely better comparos......

To the OP; good luck in your search and I hope you find the right car as they truly are awesome!

Last edited by user z478747; 01-26-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chuck z
Some of the responses to these "BS wanted" threads crack me up....... and there sure have been a few of them lately!

Everyone has their own way of rationalizing these cars, myself included! Me, I enjoy the ***** out of mine and it sits in the garage more than it's on the road! But, boy when I take it out it puts a HUGE smile on my face!!!!! You drive yours everyday, on the track....... that's great! Those that don't, that's great too! There are the same comments and arguments on every other car forum too... blah, blah, blah.........

When it comes to these threads; I guess if the number of BSs for sale were plentiful and the car the OP is looking for were listed online somewhere there'd be no need for these threads? Personally, I think the number of available cars is going to keep going down and remain low to a point where there will be times in the not to distant future where there will not be any for sale. Supply and demand?

As far as comparisons, I for one hardly think the RS4 nor the M3 are even in the same league as the BS. While both are great cars in their own right both are/were produced in numbers that do away with any sort of exclusivity. The Audi can barely be distinguished from its lesser siblings as can be said of the M3. I doubt many will mistake the BS for a CLK550 or even a CLK63 and if you don't think this is a special car your completely jaded in your opinion? The GT3 and TT are definitely better comparos......

To the OP; good luck in your search and I hope you find the right car as they truly are awesome!
Good post, Chuck. One thing though is you'd need to be blind to mistake an RS4 for a regular Audi. The thing looks terrifying, I see just as few as I do CLK BSs and the 4.2 V8 revs to the 8000 heavens...what a noise! Now the M3 is produced on a far larger scale and the new V8 version has unfortunately reverted to looking rather anonymous and lost the iconic inline 6 (not to say it ain't a great car though and more power is always a good thing)

I think the BS is a great all-rounder. Two can take it to LV with luggage (try that in a Porsche) or hit up the local autocross and set up the dampers to suit. With fairly ltd numbers you won't run into another too often (unless in LA/BevHills/OC) and that is for sure a plus. Last but not least it looks far more aggressive than is normal for Mercedes Benz, especially in white.

The E92 M3 is competition but given the choice 9/10 people would take the BS, only a hardened stick shift fanatic would go with the M. The new CSL available in europe just takes the cake though, sounds an amazing tool but i'd still take the 997 GT3 RS mk.2 over that as well...luggage and long journey comfort not withstanding...

Now, if the CLK BS had come with the SLS tuned 6.2, ceramic brakes, MCT tranny, weighed 400lbs less and, not so importantly, had bluetooth and an alcantara headliner it would be truly "special." As it is, i'd still say it's a benchmark car in that it proved an MB can handle...

-Rob

Last edited by transferred; 01-26-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Actually if you look back at the original quote Patients (should have been Patience) was listed as A virtue....therefore it was a tangible entity....and as such the use of the word "The" was appropriate as it was referring to something tangible.....So while Patience is definately A virtue in my contect it was THE virtue I was referring to.

nice try!
Whatever....you've done nothing here but act like a douche and now you're trying to give us a grammar lesson and tell me that a trait like PATIENCE is a "tangible entity". Why, becasue patience is something you can touch or feel??? Sorry, but a characteristic like patience is not TANGIBLE. Unless you have a doctrate in English, pipe down fool.

Oh yeah, and the person you corrected speaks German as well as English. Do you speak German ? But a better question would be; why are you even in this forum if you dont own a Black Series ? Nevermind, that was a rhetorical question....
Old 01-26-2010, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by LZH
Whatever....you've done nothing here but act like a douche and now you're trying to give us a grammar lesson and tell me that a trait like PATIENCE is a "tangible entity". Why, becasue patience is something you can touch or feel??? Sorry, but a characteristic like patience is not TANGIBLE. Unless you have a doctrate in English, pipe down fool.

Oh yeah, and the person you corrected speaks German as well as English. Do you speak German ? But a better question would be; why are you even in this forum if you dont own a Black Series ? Nevermind, that was a rhetorical question....
I agree Paul's first post in this thread seemed rather off-color.

However, to state something cannot be tangible because you can't physically touch it does not make sense. I'm the grammar king, lest we forget.

I speak German too, though far less fluently than SMP.

Back to topic everyone, tschuss.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by chuck z

The BS is definitely a special car but an argument has been made by many that the M3 is quite comparable to the BS. I'm not one that agrees with it but many do. And an argument can be made that the M3 has at least something to do with BS depreciation as it's percieved to be nearly equal at a far less price point. Imo to say that the RS4 is indistinguishable (and the M3 for that matter) to their lesser siblings is more of a bias opinion of your own steed than anything else. Of course they're much different, just not as radically different as the BS is to its brethren. It just happens to be this radical difference that's compelling me to look for one. Thanks for wishing me good luck in my search.

Originally Posted by LZH
Unless you have a doctrate in English, pipe down fool.

Last edited by Randy M; 01-27-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
However, to state something cannot be tangible because you can't physically touch it does not make sense. I'm the grammar king, lest we forget.
the primary definition is:

Websters:

Pronunciation: \ˈtan-jə-bəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Late Latin tangibilis, from Latin tangere to touch
Date: 1589
capable of being perceived especially by the sense of touch : palpable b : substantially real : material
Other online sources:

"perceptible by the senses especially the sense of touch"

a. Discernible by the touch; palpable: a tangible roughness of the skin.
b. Possible to touch.

1.that can be touched or felt by touch; having actual form and substance

I'd ask you the same question about posting here especially considering you don't even own an AMG.

As far as the the M3 being a competitor...it's been dicussed before:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...l?highlight=m3

Last edited by LZH; 01-27-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by LZH
Websters:

Pronunciation: \ˈtan-jə-bəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Late Latin tangibilis, from Latin tangere to touch
Date: 1589
1 a : capable of being perceived especially by the sense of touch : palpable b : substantially real : material
Other online sources:

"perceptible by the senses especially the sense of touch"

a. Discernible by the touch; palpable: a tangible roughness of the skin.
b. Possible to touch.

1.that can be touched or felt by touch; having actual form and substance

I'd ask you the same question about posting here especially considering you don't even own an AMG.

As far as the the M3 being a competitor...it's been dicussed before:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...l?highlight=m3
The copy and paste does not tell the full story. Look a little deeper and you'll see your error. In fact, a clue's right there in the portion you yourself bolded. I am very seldom wrong when discussing the English language. Typos happen to us all but "correcting" another's grammar with little true knowledge on the subject is none too wise. Anyhow, all in good fun.

To answer your question, I used to own a G. Many forum members here don't currently drive Benzes, it's not a prerequisite and I'll likely decide to get another one of these days.

Now, back to Randy's search. I'd say one of the few vehicles that would adequately replace a B7 RS4 would be an '08 CLK 63.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:18 AM

2016 E250 Bluetec 2002 CL55, 2000 430CLK Cab
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
I agree Paul's first post in this thread seemed rather off-color.

I speak German too, though far less fluently than SMP.

Back to topic everyone, tschuss.

Carl,
Thanks for sticking up for me.....I think

In any case my feeble attempt at humor was obviously unappreciated....but I do think that name calling is a bit harsh! While you may be right that my comments were "Off Color" they were never meant to be nor were they meant to be aggressive or personal but apparently my tongue in cheek approach was unappreciated so......................I'll go back to my own AMG forum and wish you guys well.....sorry to have trespassed!

Cheers!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:22 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Eitan1
I dont think he was telling him to spend twice what he can afford and buy new. In my opinion, his message is to get what makes you happy even it means you have to pay a little more.

BTW

Thank you! That was the point I tried to make.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:23 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by LZH

Luke, thanks for standing up for me!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Carl,

In any case my feeble attempt at humor was obviously unappreciated....but I do think that name calling is a bit harsh! While you may be right that my comments were "Off Color" they were never meant to be nor were they meant to be aggressive or personal but apparently my tongue in cheek approach was unappreciated so......................I'll go back to my own AMG forum and wish you guys well.....sorry to have trespassed!

Cheers!
Maybe instead of making a humorous attempt about a misspelled word, you should have paid more attention to what I was trying to say in my post. You rather chose to focus on my spelling and became a hypocrite in the process. Since in your opinion my post was inadequate, where was your wisdom on where to find that particular car? I guess your true mission was to point out that spelling is not one of my virtues either.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Originally Posted by Randy M
The BS is definitely a special car but an argument has been made by many that the M3 is quite comparable to the BS. I'm not one that agrees with it but many do. And an argument can be made that the M3 has at least something to do with BS depreciation as it's percieved to be nearly equal at a far less price point. Imo to say that the RS4 is indistinguishable (and the M3 for that matter) to their lesser siblings is more of a bias opinion of your own steed than anything else. Of course they're much different, just not as radically different as the BS is to its brethren. It just happens to be this radical difference that's compelling me to look for one. Thanks for wishing me good luck in my search.

Not wishing to continue this as it detracts from the English lesson......

I am also a huge Audi fan having had 2 S8s (2003 & 2007), S4 Avant and back in the day an Coupe GT. In fact, we were just now looking for another S8 to replace the E55 wagon I just sold but landed on a Panamera 4S instead! I'm sure to someone who owns an RS4 or has a strong desire for one they are easily distinguishable from their lesser counterparts. Same of the M3. But from someone who doesn't look that closely at either all I can say is that for me to tell either from their lesser siblings I have to look at the badging....... I would probably be able to spot a poser M3 but probably not a poser RS4. On the other hand, I don't think many confuse the BS for it's lesser sibling; they might not know exactly what it is but they're pretty sure its not a regular ole CLK? At least that's been my experience.

Seriously, find one, buy it, enjoy it (who really cares what it compares to or not - bought ours simply b/c of what it is: a very unique BEAST) and let me be the first to welcome you to the asylum. Always remember; white ones are FASTER!!!!!

Now back to school.....
Old 01-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Well now isn't that Special

Here's a guy who comes to the forum to ask for some advice on how to find a particular USED car and your only advice is just buy a brand new one at twice the price he already stated that he is looking to spend. If that was me I'd sure feel like it was valuable feedback

PS Patients are those people that Doctors see in their office....Patience is the "Virtue"
And your post helped the OP with advice in what way? Show respect please to the members. Not everyone has time for grammar check 101 these days.

Are you sure you want to call BS on SMP?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Carl,

Cheers!
I don't think he was sticking up for you more for your English but whatevs the storm has passed and things remain civil....

No BS (the black series kind or the other lol) here either but the S is kinda a limo BS

Euro clk Black Series has the flat bottomed steering wheel like the Euro RS4... american vehicles are robbed of these tweaks for "crash safety reasons", the CF door panels too...shame as they really create a unique feel and sense of occasion...

-Rob

Last edited by transferred; 01-27-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by transferred
I don't think he was sticking up for you more for your English but whatevs the storm has passed and things remain civil....

No BS (the black series kind or the other lol) here either but the S is kinda a limo BS

Euro clk Black Series has the flat bottomed steering wheel like the Euro RS4... american vehicles are robbed of these tweaks for "crash safety reasons", the CF door panels too...shame as they really create a unique feel and sense of occasion...

-Rob
The American CLK63BS has the same steering wheel as the euro.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:29 PM

CLK63 Black, 2006 Ford GT
I want the Euro center console lid.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Vic55
And your post helped the OP with advice in what way? Show respect please to the members. Not everyone has time for grammar check 101 these days.

Are you sure you want to call BS on SMP?
Thanks brother!

BTW, your M3 is looking real good............in particular the HRE's
Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series

-Rob

To clear things up.......Euro or ROW Black Series differs from the US: Door panels in CF with no side airbags, cloth racing seats with different brackets, center console without cup holder and storage compartment lid in CF. That's it, everything else is identical. For what it's worth, I have a contact in Germany that can get me all the parts, including all the necessary electronic components, so not every warning light will come on. Everything can be done, if one desires so.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vmspionage
The American CLK63BS has the same steering wheel as the euro.

Sweet, only RS4 owners got screwed on that one then.

how much would it cost to get the oem cf door panels and the oem buckets, smp? that would be two "mods" i'd want if i took the plunge and traded my e46 but i'm guessing big$$...

-Rob
Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Sweet, only RS4 owners got screwed on that one then.
Yeah thanks for that...

We got screwed on the seats too:

Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 AM

See what I mean? Admittedly a little over zealous but still..:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20212&page=5

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Starting to look for a BS....but where?