CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Starting to look for a BS....but where?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting to look for a BS....but where?

I've looked at Autotrader and have looked at Ebay. Where did you look for yours? Are there any other boards I can visit that are as specific as this one?

My criteria is white or silver, under 20K miles and hopefully under $80K if possible. I'd be able to move on one within a day or so if I were to find one I wanted.

The most responsible thing to do would be to sell my RS4 first. Anyone here want to buy one pffft....

Last edited by Randy M; 01-25-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Good luck with white in that range.

6speedonline has a good for sale section although not MB specific. Try luxury4play.com and teamspeed.com, maybe you get lucky.
Or maybe you get pm's here.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by DFW01E55

6speedonline has a good for sale section although not MB specific. Try luxury4play.com and teamspeed.com, maybe you get lucky.
Or maybe you get pm's here.
Thanks, Haven't thought of those. I know the white ones are pretty rare and I'm not under any illusion that I'd even find a real clean silver one at that price, but we'll see.

Before I got my RS4 I was researching all the cars coming onto the market and when I found out about the BS it was absolutely jaw dropping to me. Then I looked at the price and it was more than I was comfortable in spending at the time. I've always liked Benz's but none of them have really spoken to me like the BS. I've had 911s, an M3, Audis but never a Benz...yet.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
past MB experience has nothing to do with the BS....it is unique in the way it drives and handles. Ive owned a few as you can see in my sig, and even the SL55 drives nothing like it. Id say the only similar experience would be a CLK DTM or the C DTM cars running around german tracks right now.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Doctodd33
past MB experience has nothing to do with the BS....it is unique in the way it drives and handles.
That's what appeals to me....
Old 01-25-2010, 07:28 PM

CLK63 Black, 2006 Ford GT
There was a rash of silver ones on ebay a few weeks ago. Although ebay cars seem to be poo-poo'ed here, my white one was advertised on ebay for quite some time last summer At the time of purchase it had about 8,500 miles & I paid $81,000.00 for it, which I think was fair market price at the time.

To me, "driven" Blacks in the mid-upper eighties is just unrealistic, and a super low mileage garage queen isn't worth the extra money. Face it, when you drive it, it's going to wear & get paint chips, so why pay the extra dough. Buy one & enjoy it. Don't just stare at it in the garage.

Although there's not a lot for sale at the moment, they are out there. Just be patient. These cars are unique, but they're not that special.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:10 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by Riley Martin

Face it, when you drive it, it's going to wear & get paint chips, so why pay the extra dough. Buy one & enjoy it. Don't just stare at it in the garage.

Although there's not a lot for sale at the moment, they are out there. Just be patient. These cars are unique, but they're not that special.
Mine dosn't have a single paint chip, ding or scrach ANYWHERE - and I drive it hard. Having the entire front end, fenders, side sills, skirts, rear flares etc covered in clear bra is invaluable.
I would say that from the number of people in the past few weeks coming on here looking for cars, that they are quite unique and becoming harder and harder to find.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
You are buying at the worst time possible. All the cheap ones in the mid to low 70s have just been bought up, wait a month or two for some more to come onto the market and that should be easy. good thing comes to those who wait
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
but they're not that special.
i guess it all depends on if you own one and appreciate how it drives in comparison to other cars.....id say you are just ignorant to that, and if you knew, you might say otherwise
Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 PM

i guess it all depends on if you own one and appreciate how it drives in comparison to other cars.....id say you are just ignorant to that, and if you knew, you might say otherwise
I saw that there were about 30 used Blacks for sale last July & August and after researching them & buying one, that would hardly make me ignorant.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
my bad....sry i didnt study your sig
Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
.... These cars are unique, but they're not that special.
Okay, I'm trying not to hate you because you have a white one!

But I do disagree that the car is not "that special".

Compared to the competition, I think it's really special.
I see the competition as mostly the Porsche 911T and the GT3. (Yeah, yeah, I know they're different but they're both pretty decent steet and track cars.)

You know what, just defining what I believe are competitive cars makes the point that the car is "that special".

All 3 have different strengths and weaknesses, but for my needs the combination of benefits offered by the Black Series does make it stand apart. Having said that, I guarantee there are hundreds of guys driving the "competition" that believe the car they chose is that special too.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:14 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
There was a rash of silver ones on ebay a few weeks ago. Although ebay cars seem to be poo-poo'ed here, my white one was advertised on ebay for quite some time last summer At the time of purchase it had about 8,500 miles & I paid $81,000.00 for it, which I think was fair market price at the time.

To me, "driven" Blacks in the mid-upper eighties is just unrealistic, and a super low mileage garage queen isn't worth the extra money. Face it, when you drive it, it's going to wear & get paint chips, so why pay the extra dough. Buy one & enjoy it. Don't just stare at it in the garage.

Patients is not one of my virtues and I didn't mind writing a check for 152K OTD incl. a 7yr/100K mile warranty. I guess it's realistic for some people when they shop for a car, rather than a price they're willing to spend. Can't put a price on happiness, can you?

The Black Series is a very unique car if you compare them in the equivalent category, like the Porsche GT3. At least that's what I did and chose the Black Series over the GT3 and never regretted it. I'm thinking of getting the new 2010 GT3RS, and if I do, the CLK stays with me. I don't think I'll ever sell it.....................well, maybe when I'm so old that I don't pass the vision test anymore at the DMV
Old 01-25-2010, 09:20 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Okay, I'm trying not to hate you because you have a white one!

But I do disagree that the car is not "that special".

Compared to the competition, I think it's really special.
I see the competition as mostly the Porsche 911T and the GT3. (Yeah, yeah, I know they're different but they're both pretty decent steet and track cars.)

You know what, just defining what I believe are competitive cars makes the point that the car is "that special".

All 3 have different strengths and weaknesses, but for my needs the combination of benefits offered by the Black Series does make it stand apart. Having said that, I guarantee there are hundreds of guys driving the "competition" that believe the car they chose is that special too.
Mike, are you sure you are not a long lost cousin of mine?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 PM

2016 E250 Bluetec 2002 CL55, 2000 430CLK Cab
Originally Posted by SMP
Patients is not one of my virtues and I didn't mind writing a check for 152K OTD incl. a 7yr/100K mile warranty. I guess it's realistic for some people when they shop for a car, rather than a price they're willing to spend. Can't put a price on happiness, can you?

Well now isn't that Special

Here's a guy who comes to the forum to ask for some advice on how to find a particular USED car and your only advice is just buy a brand new one at twice the price he already stated that he is looking to spend. If that was me I'd sure feel like it was valuable feedback

PS Patients are those people that Doctors see in their office....Patience is the "Virtue"
Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 PM

If I've learned anything from time and experience it's that haste is almost always followed by regret. I've got a pretty good car in my RS4 that I'm a bit reluctant to sell so I'm not 100% positive about purchasing a BS yet.

I'll take my time with the process. I can only hope to find one to my liking, at an acceptable price and from an owner who's honest and fair. Seems like you guys have a good forum here and I'm glad that I've found it as it's likely that the one car for me will be found from this board in some way....
Old 01-25-2010, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by SMP
Mike, are you sure you are not a long lost cousin of mine?
Oh heck yes I am, especially if you get the new GT3! They look fantastic!
Did you see the article in this month's Excellence magazine?

I agree that the Black is a keeper, it's the first car that I've actually thought, "I may never sell this car."
Old 01-26-2010, 12:17 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Oh heck yes I am, especially if you get the new GT3! They look fantastic!
Did you see the article in this month's Excellence magazine?

I agree that the Black is a keeper, it's the first car that I've actually thought, "I may never sell this car."
Or maybe my identical twin? ......... I LOVE the new GT3RS, that thing is right up my alley! Especially in that "battleship" gray with guards red accents...............I guess yours would be white with ??? accents.........
Old 01-26-2010, 05:27 AM

my bad....sry i didnt study your sig
I'll let it slide.....this time. But don't let it happen again!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by Randy M
I'll take my time with the process. I can only hope to find one to my liking, at an acceptable price and from an owner who's honest and fair.
If you're looking for something under 20k miles and you're still waiting that might not happen at all. Take into account this car is a limited production and inventory is almost all gone unless you get something that's over 20k miles.

Just something to keep in mind.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
I'll let it slide.....this time. But don't let it happen again!
based on your initial post and your sig saying you have a Ford GT, how do they compare to you? I prefer the BS to my Cobra just due to the fatigue factor with the Cobra. How about you?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Good luck with your search! You made the right choice; these cars are simply amazing.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by JamE55
If you're looking for something under 20k miles and you're still waiting that might not happen at all. Take into account this car is a limited production and inventory is almost all gone unless you get something that's over 20k miles.

Just something to keep in mind.
I understand, if it doesn't happen I can't complain. I've noticed that the number of cars available right now are low. There will be more available at any time though. Some will ask too high, some too low, only time and effort will tell if I find one that's right for me. Being persistent and steadfast will hopefully allow me to jump on one when it pops up for sale.

As time goes on though I do believe prices will continue lower. It's the steady march of high performance and technology that drives this. It makes my car, your car or any other performance oriented car less desirable to those who crave performance. They all go down in price over time and there will always be another hot model that lures us all. While I'm searching for a BS there could suddenly be a new car on the market that I've just got to have and it's in that circumstance when we all take it in the shorts. It's a sickness really and not a very financially sound one but it's a hell of alot of fun.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 PM

CL600
They might not be extra special but they are limited production and definitely geared at the Gt3 type of person. My buddy has a ford gt and he gets ragged on all the time for buying an exotic ford everyone has their own opinions. I do find the black series something unique espically from mercedes in general I don't think there has been a car more track orientated in their line in the last 20-25 years minus the ridiculous european models mercs.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by CL66
They might not be extra special but they are limited production and definitely geared at the Gt3 type of person. My buddy has a ford gt and he gets ragged on all the time for buying an exotic ford everyone has their own opinions. I do find the black series something unique espically from mercedes in general I don't think there has been a car more track orientated in their line in the last 20-25 years minus the ridiculous european models mercs.
A special car it definitely is which is just one reason I'd like to get one. It's the only Merc I've ever been interested in actually.

The same can be said for my RS4. Only 300-350 imported in '08 and even less with the titanium package. Not many RS models imported here at all. It's a special car for me, maybe for others but not to many others and as a seller that's something I need to accept if I'm going to sell it. If I don't want to sell it then I can have any opinion I want.

As time goes on there may be a M3 GTR and possibly another RS model available here that will further devalue the BS. And you can always count on Porsche updating their GT3's as well. With our dismal economic climate they may not be produced nor available at all which would of course keep the value of your cars higher. I'd also argue that the E92 M3 has alot to do with both of our cars depreciating because it's percieved as a RS4 beater and competes with a BS rather well. The M3 is also German but it's at a lower price point and that appeals to many. But for me the BS is a step higher...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Starting to look for a BS....but where?