CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

BS on a road course

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
The other guy also has a stock tune.

My events happened on tracks where you use heavy braking (140 to 40) in 2 different areas over a 2.8 mile course. Oh and don't forget the 100F.

I've run another track where you get similar braking over 3.1 miles but it was a 70F weekend, so no trouble at all.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by thebishman
A couple of other quick questions:

Do Mercedes dealers immediately void, and/or question any warranty repairs if they suspect the car is enjoyed on the track, even if it is very well maintained?

How pricy is 'regular' maintenance on the car, i.e. does it have very low mileage requirements re: fluid changes, etc?

TIA,
Bish
My dealer has expressed no warranty issues at all with tracking and they are well aware that mine gets tracked.

There is nothing unusual about the warranty schedule in timing or cost. An oil change is $100 but you can easily DIY if so inclined.
Even brakes and rotors couldn't be easier to DIY and pocket $1,000 in labor and parts savings.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:05 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
A couple of other quick questions:

Do Mercedes dealers immediately void, and/or question any warranty repairs if they suspect the car is enjoyed on the track, even if it is very well maintained?

How pricy is 'regular' maintenance on the car, i.e. does it have very low mileage requirements re: fluid changes, etc?

TIA,
Bish
Unlike Porsche, Mercedes has no problem you taking the BS to the track. Before I take it to the track, I bring it to the dealer and tell them to check it because I have a track day coming up. Their response: OK, no problem and have fun. Porsche will throw the book at you to get out of warranty claims if they know you take your GT3RS to the track. But the best part is, if your GT3RS develops a main seal leak, they tell you that's normal because you don't drive it enough.

BTW, do you drive your GT-R with TC off on the track? A friend of mine tried it once and went off the track. He said that without the electronics, car feels very heavy.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by SMP
Unlike Porsche, Mercedes has no problem you taking the BS to the track. Before I take it to the track, I bring it to the dealer and tell them to check it because I have a track day coming up. Their response: OK, no problem and have fun. Porsche will throw the book at you to get out of warranty claims if they know you take your GT3RS to the track. But the best part is, if your GT3RS develops a main seal leak, they tell you that's normal because you don't drive it enough.

BTW, do you drive your GT-R with TC off on the track? A friend of mine tried it once and went off the track. He said that without the electronics, car feels very heavy.
I drive it either way. In 'R' mode the VDC will allow you plenty of leeway and it is still easy to four wheel drift; have the rear come around somewhat, etc.

The car is very easily controlled though, even with VDC off, and it is difficult to make it leave the road. Even though it has AWD, it handles very similar to a RWD car, however the front can help immensely at times.

It is a potent track weapon, and for about $2k you can easily be putting down 500whp and about 520lb ft. I have a very conservative tune on mine since the best fuel here is 91 octane and mine puts out 480 hp at the wheels and 513 lb ft of torque at the wheels. This is simply with a mid-pipe replacment for the secondary cats, a Cobb AP and a custom tune. For a total expenditure of about $10K you can have a car putting down over 600 hp at the wheels that is still a DD. As I mentioned earlier though Nissan did not spend enough effort on ways to keep things cool, hence the need for additional transmission, rear diff coolers, etc. which the BS has as standard.

BTW, do not believe anyone who states that the GT-R is 'anodyne' to drive; it can be and is very involving on track especially at the kinds of speeds it can generate.

Thanks for the insights re: your dealer's attitude towards track days; wish Nissan were so enlightened!! lol

Bish
Old 03-19-2010, 09:25 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I drive it either way. In 'R' mode the VDC will allow you plenty of leeway and it is still easy to four wheel drift; have the rear come around somewhat, etc.

The car is very easily controlled though, even with VDC off, and it is difficult to make it leave the road. Even though it has AWD, it handles very similar to a RWD car, however the front can help immensely at times.

It is a potent track weapon, and for about $2k you can easily be putting down 500whp and about 520lb ft. I have a very conservative tune on mine since the best fuel here is 91 octane and mine puts out 480 hp at the wheels and 513 lb ft of torque at the wheels. This is simply with a mid-pipe replacment for the secondary cats, a Cobb AP and a custom tune. For a total expenditure of about $10K you can have a car putting down over 600 hp at the wheels that is still a DD. As I mentioned earlier though Nissan did not spend enough effort on ways to keep things cool, hence the need for additional transmission, rear diff coolers, etc. which the BS has as standard.

BTW, do not believe anyone who states that the GT-R is 'anodyne' to drive; it can be and is very involving on track especially at the kinds of speeds it can generate.

Thanks for the insights re: your dealer's attitude towards track days; wish Nissan were so enlightened!! lol

Bish
Sounds like you have a great car. So far I have heard only good things about it, aside from the warranty issues. I haven't driven a GT-R on the track, so I'll take your word for it. Not sure what happened when he lost it, but most likely you are a better driver than my friend is. I don't know anyone else who tracks their GT-R and since you do, I thought I ask that question.