CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

iPod adapter questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63S, SLS BS
iPod adapter questions

I recently had te iPod adapter installed in my clk black and I have a couple questions.

First when I plug it in it doesn't charge the iPod. That's very annoying because on long road trips it may die. I also tend to leave it plugged in so that bugs me. Is this normal? I would think Mercedes would have done a better job there.

Secondly when it's plugged in I cannot get anything to display on the screen, I don't know what playlist nor song is playing, and even worse it won't let me change the playlist or song when it's plugged in?! Has anyone else had this?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
It should charge while connected.

And the iPod display is indeed blanked (wih MB star), but your instrument cluster should display the ipod menu with all info from the iPod. Use the phone keys to navigate.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:56 PM

E63S, SLS BS
Originally Posted by sprins

And the iPod display is indeed blanked (wih MB star), but your instrument cluster should display the ipod menu with all info from the iPod. Use the phone keys to navigate.
Great. Now it should work even with my cd changed still in the car correct? I'm thinking they installed it wrong.

Also finally do I need a media interface update or anything?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by GRahal09
Great. Now it should work even with my cd changed still in the car correct? I'm thinking they installed it wrong.

Thanks for your help.
Yep, CD changer should also work if I'm correct. The iPod is on the AUX.

If it's not charging something's not right. Maybe an update, maybe installation woes. That I don't know...
Old 11-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Is it plugged in through the headphone adapter or is it using the multi-pin adapter?

If it's through the headphone adapter, I don't think you're going to get any charge to it.

G
Old 11-04-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Originally Posted by sprins

My display is not blanked when I go to the AUX screen (no MB star), but you are correct about the instrument cluster being the only way to see Song info. What a lame design. I assume all of this is on the MOST bus and could easily be displayed in the main Nav screen as well.

Speaking of the iPod connector, there appears to be no way to switch between playlists. Does it just play the active playlist and that's it?

Graham your iPod should be definitely charging using the dock connector. If not, the install was botched.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by mellowyellow
My display is not blanked when I go to the AUX screen (no MB star), but you are correct about the instrument cluster being the only way to see Song info. What a lame design. I assume all of this is on the MOST bus and could easily be displayed in the main Nav screen as well.

Speaking of the iPod connector, there appears to be no way to switch between playlists. Does it just play the active playlist and that's it?
You can switch through the entire iPod menu using steering wheel buttons. The + - buttons AND the phone pick/hang up buttons.

Why the nav screen isn't involved as well I don't understand.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by GRahal09

Thanks for your help.
If its the MB part it should charge and they should not have disabled the CD changer. The MB unit should work with the CD installed, there are a couple of aftermarket units that utilize the CD audio input jack which require the CD to be unplugged. There is an aftermarket unit that as I mentioned goes through cd input and puts playlist on nav screen, its a nice system, I prefer it over stock but I don't drive mine enough so the factory iPod adaptor is fine for me.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
It wont charge iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4's because it's feeding 12V over firewire, where the 3GS and later iPhone/iPods require 5V USB.

I used one of these to fix the charging issue:
http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockStubz.html

And one of these to extend it:
http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockXtender.html

I have the factory cable connected to the Charge Converted, then to the 6 ft extension. It runs under the passenger side carpet to where the cupholder is, which fits my iPhone nicely. No drinks allowed in my car!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:03 PM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
Originally Posted by jrcart
If its the MB part it should charge and they should not have disabled the CD changer. The MB unit should work with the CD installed, there are a couple of aftermarket units that utilize the CD audio input jack which require the CD to be unplugged. There is an aftermarket unit that as I mentioned goes through cd input and puts playlist on nav screen, its a nice system, I prefer it over stock but I don't drive mine enough so the factory iPod adaptor is fine for me.
jr cart i havent seen that aftermarket one here ( in uk ) . i currently have the mb one . is the scrolling through songs better , or do you still have to go one at a time ?
could you post the name / linky please ?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by WTDoom
jr cart i havent seen that aftermarket one here ( in uk ) . i currently have the mb one . is the scrolling through songs better , or do you still have to go one at a time ?
could you post the name / linky please ?
I am not positive but I think its a Dice Electronics part, I will call him and get details. He's an electronics geek so he will have all the details.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:07 PM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
Originally Posted by jrcart
I am not positive but I think its a Dice Electronics part, I will call him and get details. He's an electronics geek so he will have all the details.
thank you , thats much appreciated .