CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Black Owner's Advice on the SLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by LZH
We were comparing the SL65 BS, not the CLK.
Whoops, missed that one. In that case, SLS all the way! SL BS is too freakish for my liking.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E63 AMG
Btw, the sls is faster than the clk bs around Nurburgring 7:40 vs 7:45...

Old 01-09-2012, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
I'm a big fan of the SLS
I love the styling of the car (very unique and has amazing road presence) and it does perform really well and sounds great ta boot. I drove the SLS extensively at my AMG Academy event last year (can't wait to do the next stage this year, hopefully their US schedule comes out soon!)
The SLS is a big car in length, but it just feels like an ICBM

I've never driven a CLK BS so I can't make any assessment on that, but styling wise, the CLK BS is looking soooo dated IMO. Obviously it's an older car and the power and gearbox is inferior, however I also like the CLK BS for what it is. If I could choose either one for "free" I'd obviously go for the SLS, however when you compare the real world pricing, it becomes a much harder decision. I think the CLK BS is a bargain for what it is and I think the MSRP when new was a bargain as well--the SLS still has a bigger WOW factor and is very unique on the road.

We as enthusiasts will notice the CLK BS coming down the road, but to most of the population, it's styling blends in with the rest of the MBs on the road. My half blind grandmother will notice the SLS, obviously some people want to blend in and some want to stand out, there's no right or wrong here, but the SLS is so Fu(king rad

I'd love to have both and think they're different enough from each other in many respects, plus the total number of CLK BS is so much smaller than the SLS and counting.

BTW I remember feeling like the SLS interior could have been nicer, the Navi and console area looked cheapy to me on a $200k car. I loved the black one I drove, it had CF trim, CF engine bay, CF door sills, red leather inside, CC brakes, etc. and it stickered for $220ish.
I would never get sick of opening and closing those gull wing doors
Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
"I've never driven a CLK BS so I can't make any assessment on that, but styling wise, the CLK BS is looking soooo dated IMO. Obviously it's an older car and the power and gearbox is inferior"-

As you said you've never driven a BS and it shows; enough said.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by LOVEMYBS
"I've never driven a CLK BS so I can't make any assessment on that, but styling wise, the CLK BS is looking soooo dated IMO. Obviously it's an older car and the power and gearbox is inferior"-

As you said you've never driven a BS and it shows; enough said.
Yep, that's right I never drove it, but I've had hot laps in a couple and saw enough in person to comment on the styling (which is obviously subjective) and the facts on power and gearbox are just that, facts.
Supposedly, the CLK BS does handle better and has more race goodies, like the adj suspension, it's a BS it has a different DNA.
Is the CLK BS a better track car, maybe, but I think for the total pkg of street and track, the SLS is better IMO.
I like the CLK BS a lot, I just like the SLS more--maybe if I drove the CLK BS I would change my mind, but I don't think so
Old 01-10-2012, 05:20 AM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
I forgot about this thread . Since then I have bought an SLS and run it side by side with my black for several months . The sls is more comfortable and refined ( but not that much ) . The black is sharper , more aggressive and harder riding . However for sheer turn of speed a standard black is slower than an sls , everywhere .
Road or track the chassis of the sls is a match for ( and in fact superior to ) the black series . It is faster on every circuit I can think of . Tellingly the SLS runs MUCH less aggressive tyres and I am convinced the SLS will pull out an even bigger gap in performance on similar track focussed rubber . Styling and looks are subjective so I wont comment ( except to say I love both ).
BUT and this is the thing , It lacks the complete hooliganism and fantastic tactile feedback of the black . It is no way as much fun or characterful .Figures alone dont cut it in this case .
The SLS will be sold or swapped for the next in thing sooner or later , the Black will sit in my garage for all eternity quietly chuckling to itself confident in the knowledge that its a keeper .
Old 01-10-2012, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Love the CLK63 BS but I'd take the SLS everytime. It's such a sexy car
Old 01-10-2012, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by WTDoom
I forgot about this thread . Since then I have bought an SLS and run it side by side with my black for several months . The sls is more comfortable and refined ( but not that much ) . The black is sharper , more aggressive and harder riding . However for sheer turn of speed a standard black is slower than an sls , everywhere .
Road or track the chassis of the sls is a match for ( and in fact superior to ) the black series . It is faster on every circuit I can think of . Tellingly the SLS runs MUCH less aggressive tyres and I am convinced the SLS will pull out an even bigger gap in performance on similar track focussed rubber . Styling and looks are subjective so I wont comment ( except to say I love both ).
BUT and this is the thing , It lacks the complete hooliganism and fantastic tactile feedback of the black . It is no way as much fun or characterful .Figures alone dont cut it in this case .
The SLS will be sold or swapped for the next in thing sooner or later , the Black will sit in my garage for all eternity quietly chuckling to itself confident in the knowledge that its a keeper .
They do sort of have the same engine, I guess the BS would eat the SLS with a Weistec on it but I do agree the SLS is the superior car. It's not a successor to the SLR that's for sure. That car will always be the best Mercedes ever made
Old 01-10-2012, 08:34 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Originally Posted by black-clk500
Yep, that's right I never drove it, but I've had hot laps in a couple and saw enough in person to comment on the styling (which is obviously subjective) and the facts on power and gearbox are just that, facts.
Supposedly, the CLK BS does handle better and has more race goodies, like the adj suspension, it's a BS it has a different DNA.
Is the CLK BS a better track car, maybe, but I think for the total pkg of street and track, the SLS is better IMO.
I like the CLK BS a lot, I just like the SLS more--maybe if I drove the CLK BS I would change my mind, but I don't think so
I can't compare my BS to an SLS because I've never driven one and probably never will. As you note, styling is subjective and IMO the SLS just doesn't work for me personally. I've been offered several used SLS's at greatly reduced prices but have passed on each one for that reason alone. If you look on eBay and other used car sites there are a lot of SLS's for sale (which is also true of the CLK BS) which I can't explain because both of these cars are keepers IMO. I'll also concede the SLS is a great car and perhpas a future collectible, and may be better overall (but not superior) to the BS in a few areas but I still enjoy driving my BS too much to ever part with it. It's just too unique and embodies all that I personaly want in a high performance, streetable car that continues to make me smile every time I see or drive it.

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 01-10-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:11 AM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
Originally Posted by e500slr
They do sort of have the same engine, I guess the BS would eat the SLS with a Weistec on it but I do agree the SLS is the superior car. It's not a successor to the SLR that's for sure. That car will always be the best Mercedes ever made
the weisetec argument is moot , supercharge an sls ?
i think you missed my point though mate . i prefer my black series to the sls even though the sls is empirically better ..
as for the slr i have spent hours in them and they are vastly inferior to the sls in my experience . i passed on the slr , its very unresolved and confused as to what it should be . no way near the fun or complete drive an sls is imho . perhaps they are more useful on US roads than EU roads but i doubt it .

Last edited by WTDoom; 01-10-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
There are 6 BS's on ebay(seems like alot more than usual) and about 20 SLS's
Old 01-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Originally Posted by WTDoom
Great summary WT - you captured my thoughts perfectly (albeit that I only have driven 2 or 3 SLSs for a few hours each).

The CLKBS feels like a track car, tighter, very nailed down. The SLS suspension feels great, but not like the Black. The SLS great looks, throttle blip, exhaust note, and dual-clutch gearbox are all huge pluses. Even with R compound rubber, you won't get the same CLKBS feel, but you'll certainly turn much faster lap times. Can't imagine how insane the SLS BS will be.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:23 PM

08 clk63 amg black series
WTDOOM, a quck question, as a person who has owned a CLKBS and has driven in the new c63BS how was the suspension? as you stated you will never sell your CLKBS and i feel the same way, but i am hesitant about pulling the trigger on the new c63BS if it rides like my wifes new c63 amg coupe(very soft compared to my black)
basically how stiff feeling was the suspension on the new C63 Black series and how did it compare to your SLS(as i have had a few laps in it, and think its a less firm ride than our CLK's)
Old 02-03-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Originally Posted by spifffs
WTDOOM, a quck question, as a person who has owned a CLKBS and has driven in the new c63BS how was the suspension? as you stated you will never sell your CLKBS and i feel the same way, but i am hesitant about pulling the trigger on the new c63BS if it rides like my wifes new c63 amg coupe(very soft compared to my black)
basically how stiff feeling was the suspension on the new C63 Black series and how did it compare to your SLS(as i have had a few laps in it, and think its a less firm ride than our CLK's)
thats a very good question sir! I am very curious too
Old 02-03-2012, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
I have driven both of them on a track day and the SLS is more refined and a little less exciting. But it is faster then the CLK63BS.

Jim
MachC5