CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Is a Diagnostic Code Scanner Worth the $$$

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Is a Diagnostic Code Scanner Worth the $$$

Recently the check engine lights came on in my wife's BMW and my E550. After scanning the codes my indy said the BMW was running lean and needed a new fuel/air valve (a common BMW problem). The diagnostic cost me $99.00 . It cost me another $89.00 to determine that my right front airmatic shock line was disconnected when I had my right front fender repainted due to a minor scrape in a parking garage caused by a careless driver. I later made the auto repair shop reimburse me for the diagnosis.

My question is, does anyone have experience with owning a diagnostic code scanner and are they reliable? I've checked Amazon prices and there are quite a few code scanners for sale that sell from $30.00-$300.00 that also clear the check engine light. However, I also assume even if I told my indy what code/s were shown they would still perform their own scan and charge me anyway. Is this assumption correct and is it worth the $$$$ to buy my own code scanner? I can see the need for one if you're not close to a repair shop and your car starts to act-up and you would like to know why. Is this true too? Thanks!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Yes

it it always a great idea to have your own obd2 scanner.
Even if you don't DIY your own repairs or regular Maintenance.
Even more so if you do.
Yes they are reliable and yes they clear codes but only so much as you repair the problem. Remember an erased code is only cleared from the ecu if the problem is fixed. The light will go out but the car won't pass smog if you try to fool them.
Harborfreight tools has a special on a real time data scanner for a bit over 100bucks
for just general use they have a god one for about $80
It will suit most diyr's needs. Will work on both cars
What were the bmw code or codes? You could have read them and replaced the item for hundreds less than the shop charged.
A scanner in the trunks tool box can save you many times over its cost, sometimes thousands of dollars.. If you are willing to learn and use one.
"GOT CODES ?"
Harborfreight tools
WOODBRIDGE VA #161 (11.7 mi)
14250 SMOKETOWN RD
WOODBRIDGE, VA 22192

Last edited by ohlord; 03-05-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I bought an OBDII scanner from Harbor Freight Tools a year ago for $49.95 on sale. Normally $69.95 I think. It works very well and properly diagnosed my MAF sensor problem, and my son's ignition problem in his ole Neon. Clears codes, etc, too. I don't see my particular model scanner on their website, however, so it might have been a closeout.

Proof that you don't have to spend a lot to get a useful tool... HF has a 20% off coupon in most of the auto mags.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 04-01-2011 at 06:55 PM.