CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

AMG Driving Academy at Lime Rock Park, CT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
AMG Driving Academy at Lime Rock Park, CT

Yesterday I attended the 1-day Basic Training, that is also provided for new buyers of AMG Vehicles after Dec 31, 2010. The weather was on and off showers with alternating dry and moist track conditions. We drove and drove the new SLK, C63, E63 and SLS AMG's during the day. The Instructor cadre was professional and very knowledgeable of getting cars around Lime Rock Park. I believe most of them came from the ranks of the on-site Skip Barber Racing School. Tommy Kendall was on-hand and giving Taxi Rides in one of the CLK63BS school cars. I got to ride in the Red CLK63BS with Tommy for 2 laps at Ludicrous Speed being more sideways at times and liked every bit of it. It was great to see what our cars can do, when you're not the owner and don't have a dime in it..!

In Closing:
I was really impressed with the current AMG breed and how much true on-track capability is in the platforms. And as I'm now needing new tires I was very interested and I looked closely at the tires they use at the Academy. They are the Continental Extreme DW, even on the CLK63BS. Guys I never felt the tires giving up or getting overly greasy and with no visible chunking of the tread. If you ever get a chance to attend a AMG Driving Academy in your area, I'd make it a "Must Do" on your Bucket List.

For the Track Heads out there... The front calipers on the AMG Academy CLK63Bs's have a very noticeable, from being heavily used, golden hue on all 3 of the cars.

Jim

Last edited by MACHC5; 05-19-2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: add text
Old 05-19-2011, 10:22 AM

CLK Black
Jim,

I wouldn't go with the Conti DW's for the CLK Black. They told us at RA that they were on the car because Conti didn't have anything else that would fit the car. They had almost no grip compared to the Corsa's.

It was amazing how little grip they had on the CLK Black.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
That is so weird, because I was just at the AMG performance Drive in Monticello, NY. And all the crs there C63, E63, CLS63 and SL63 all had COntinentals Extreme DW mounted on them. And thee tires have excellent grip, even at the limit of their adhesion. I personally think that the Continentals, will last a little better then the Pirelli's.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:02 AM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by Yuille36
That is so weird, because I was just at the AMG performance Drive in Monticello, NY. And all the crs there C63, E63, CLS63 and SL63 all had COntinentals Extreme DW mounted on them. And thee tires have excellent grip, even at the limit of their adhesion. I personally think that the Continentals, will last a little better then the Pirelli's.
As Conti is the sponsor, they all have Conti tires on them. The DW's have no where near the grip of the Corsa's.

At a tread wear rating of 340 it probably does produce a very progressive slide that is very easy to control but that does not mean that they will have the grip of other tires. Would be great for drifting but bad for fast times.

The SLS tires are Sport Contact 5's with a tread wear of 240 and the Corsa's on the CLK Black have a tread wear of......... 60
Old 05-19-2011, 12:33 PM

Clk Black Series
dont get the conti's
Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
There's no right front Corsa's for our CLK63BS.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by MACHC5
There's no right front Corsa's for our CLK63BS.
That's correct, but there are two in Canada, make that one. I do some work with Pirelli and they had one shipped to me from Vancouver. There was one in Montreal as of last week.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
That's correct, but there are two in Canada, make that one. I do some work with Pirelli and they had one shipped to me from Vancouver. There was one in Montreal as of last week.
Jim -
I'll be in Montreal in 3 weeks for the F1 and Historic F1 races.
I just wonder what the "Born on Date" of these last few tires are?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Jim -
No Corsa's, too bad. Michelin now has 265 and 295/30/19 Super Sport replacements for their PS2 but no 285 as yet. Will 295's fit my rear rims? I believe I need 10.5 to do it according to the 10/10 Tire website.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Jim -
Born date (0209)
Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Wow, what's the deal with the Corsa's? Are they now discontinued or just a low volume tire that Pirelli only get around to producing maybe once or twice a year? They have always been somewhat difficult to find, but this sounds like a bad situation with only 1 being available in all of North America. I have two complete sets of brand new Corsa's 285 fronts and 305 rears. One set is going on the car next week, that leaves me with an extra set. If this tire is discontinued I am going to hold on to them but if they're not discontinued and more will become available in the near future I might consider selling a set to one of you "Black Series Forum Regulars" if you are in a serious pinch. Let me see what I can find out, in the mean time PM me if somebody is in dire need of a set of Corsa's in the sizes I mentioned. If I do end up selling them I would prefer to sell the entire set or possibly fronts and rears, I don't want to get into selling individual tires, too much work and hassle to deal with, like I said this would be more of a favor, I don't need to sell them.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:34 PM

2010 C63
My understanding from the PL CE is that they are discontinued. I think he has 3 or 4 sets in his garage.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by jrcart
Wow, what's the deal with the Corsa's? Are they now discontinued or just a low volume tire that Pirelli only get around to producing maybe once or twice a year? They have always been somewhat difficult to find, but this sounds like a bad situation with only 1 being available in all of North America. I have two complete sets of brand new Corsa's 285 fronts and 305 rears. One set is going on the car next week, that leaves me with an extra set. If this tire is discontinued I am going to hold on to them but if they're not discontinued and more will become available in the near future I might consider selling a set to one of you "Black Series Forum Regulars" if you are in a serious pinch. Let me see what I can find out, in the mean time PM me if somebody is in dire need of a set of Corsa's in the sizes I mentioned. If I do end up selling them I would prefer to sell the entire set or possibly fronts and rears, I don't want to get into selling individual tires, too much work and hassle to deal with, like I said this would be more of a favor, I don't need to sell them.
Jim, what a nice gesture! The only problem are the sizes you're running. With your 10 x 19 fronts and 11 x 19 rears, they are perfect. Most BS guys have the stock wheels and could only use your front 285's for the rear.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK BS
Originally Posted by ATL_MB
My understanding from the PL CE is that they are discontinued. I think he has 3 or 4 sets in his garage.
Will there be a replacement? Trofeo?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Yep, discontinued...I guess I will be holding on to mine. The regional Pirelli rep say their is a replacement R compound n the works which should boast better wet performance...translation, not as good dry performance (you can't have both IMO).