CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

What's the Tire of choice to replace Corsa's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2011 | 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
What's the Tire of choice to replace Corsa's

A Question.
What is everyone planing on using for Tires... being the OEM Corsa's are done...
Old 10-23-2011 | 10:17 PM

2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by MACHC5
A Question.
What is everyone planing on using for Tires... being the OEM Corsa's are done...
Once the Corsa's were done I switched to some Continental ExtremeContact DW. In the dry, on the street you probably won't notice a difference under normal conditions. Under track conditions and heat cycling there will be a difference for sure. But the biggest difference you will notice is wet traction as well as well as wear and tear. A set of the Continentals will last 2-3x as long (more for the fronts) if you just use the car for spirited back road driving and normal street use.
Old 10-24-2011 | 03:32 AM

2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
Unfortunately there are not alot of great alternatives with the stock wheels and tire sizes. Even though i love the look of the original wheels I went with larger width rims just to have a bigger tire selection. I am currently running Bridgestone RE-11s which i am happy with but I am sure the popular alternative would be the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports which are currently unavailable in the stock 285/30-19 size (i believe they have 265, 275 and 295 available)
Old 10-24-2011 | 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
I went with Pilot Sports and couldn't be happier.
Old 10-24-2011 | 10:10 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
A Question.
Continental DW's
Old 10-24-2011 | 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I can't confirm this but a couple months back I heard that Pirelli will be offering a re-compounded P Zero Corso Asimmetrico in several sizes, including sizes that fit a stock Black Series before the end of the year. Maybe a SEMA release next week???

Last edited by jrcart; 10-24-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2011 | 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Go with Bridgestone RE-11 or Michelin Super Sport.
Old 10-24-2011 | 03:28 PM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
Use Michelin Pilot Supersports fantastic tyre ( 295 rear ) .

The Dunlop track tyres developed for the C Coupe Black Series will be out soon btw , for those looking for track rubber .
Also toyo 888 fit ( albeit again with 295 on the rear ) .

Can you guys get corsa Trofeo in the us ? These ( and Corsa Race ) are even better than the oem corsa system , but not cheap .

Last edited by WTDoom; 10-24-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2011 | 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by WTDoom
Use Michelin Pilot Supersports fantastic tyre ( 295 rear ) .

The Dunlop track tyres developed for the C Coupe Black Series will be out soon btw , for those looking for track rubber .
Also toyo 888 fit ( albeit again with 295 on the rear ) .

Can you guys get corsa Trofeo in the us ? These ( and Corsa Race ) are even better than the oem corsa system , but not cheap .
Are you running 295's on the stock rims?
Old 10-25-2011 | 12:57 AM

2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
You should have at least a 10 inch rim with the 295's, especially with the michelins which tend to run a little wider than comparable tires of the same size.
Old 10-26-2011 | 06:08 PM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
No i still use Corsa systems ( stock wheels ) but I have the supersports on my Carrera GT and the car is transformed .

A friend uses toyo 888 in 295 on stock wheel with no issues though .
Old 10-28-2011 | 03:04 AM

2008 CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by jrcart
I can't confirm this but a couple months back I heard that Pirelli will be offering a re-compounded P Zero Corso Asimmetrico in several sizes, including sizes that fit a stock Black Series before the end of the year. Maybe a SEMA release next week???
Really, you got my interest! Re-compounded as in what improvements where?

Next year plan to get new skins, for AutoX track, be fine with the stock Corsa for by BS, store them in bags downstairs when not in use. Also spare set of original (heat cycled past their time/5 year old next year) tire/rim downstairs for street as I love using very little effort/engine noise/tire squeal to drift (5-20 degrees) around quite often, and not attract too much po-po (or tattle-tale) attention .

Thanks jrcart!
Old 10-28-2011 | 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Jeff M
Really, you got my interest! Re-compounded as in what improvements where?

Next year plan to get new skins, for AutoX track, be fine with the stock Corsa for by BS, store them in bags downstairs when not in use. Also spare set of original (heat cycled past their time/5 year old next year) tire/rim downstairs for street as I love using very little effort/engine noise/tire squeal to drift (5-20 degrees) around quite often, and not attract too much po-po (or tattle-tale) attention .

Thanks jrcart!
I have no info and cant confirm anything, about two months ago I was looking for some Corsa (found a couple sets and bought them) and got ahold of a regional Pirelli rep and he made mention of a new Corsa or Corsa equivalent. We should probably keep an eye on the Pirelli website for any press releases next week at SEMA.
Old 10-29-2011 | 12:17 AM

2008 CLK63 AMG Black Series
I have no info and cant confirm anything, about two months ago I was looking for some Corsa (found a couple sets and bought them) and got ahold of a regional Pirelli rep and he made mention of a new Corsa or Corsa equivalent. We should probably keep an eye on the Pirelli website for any press releases next week at SEMA.
Nope this is good enough for me, I got time, and can be patient. Will at least know to keep an eye out, summer/warm weather won't be back for 7 months (hate even thinking about that!). Would like a good excuse to hit up the SEMA again, last was 2004 so its been a while.........

Thanks very much for the lead jrcart!!
Old 10-29-2011 | 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Personally I think the CORSA is useless to be running on the street unless you hit up the canyons and do alot of aggressive driving.
Same goes with the Michelin Sport Cups, unless you are running these tires at the track I see no point in buying a set for street use.

Last edited by _AMG_; 10-29-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2011 | 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by _AMG_
Personally I think the CORSA is useless to be running on the street unless you hit up the canyons and do alot of aggressive driving.
Same goes with the Michelin Sport Cups, unless you are running these tires at the track I see no point in buying a set for street use.
Ditto

I'm running Nitto INVO's and they are working just fine. I ran them on the track at Spring Mountain ... again, worked just fine.

G
Old 10-30-2011 | 05:21 AM

CLK Black
I just don't understand why you buy a car like the CLK Black and then dumb it down by running regular street tires on it?!? It changes the dynamics of the car and is probably one of the biggest differences in the Black over the regular CLK.

Perhaps this is the difference in Mercedes and Porsche owners.

All my Porsche friends pull their Cup tires off at the track to run R6's but they still show up with Cups and leave with Cups.

Just sayin
Old 10-31-2011 | 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by AMG Dictator
I just don't understand why you buy a car like the CLK Black and then dumb it down by running regular street tires on it?!? It changes the dynamics of the car and is probably one of the biggest differences in the Black over the regular CLK.

Perhaps this is the difference in Mercedes and Porsche owners.

All my Porsche friends pull their Cup tires off at the track to run R6's but they still show up with Cups and leave with Cups.

Just sayin
You think the tires are the biggest difference between the Black and a regular CLK?

G
Old 10-31-2011 | 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by cigarette1
You think the tires are the biggest difference between the Black and a regular CLK?

G
Old 10-31-2011 | 01:57 PM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by cigarette1

G
I have one and I know what the difference are, what I said was "One of the biggest differences."

From a performance standpoint I bet it is. Most of the modifications on the CLK Black will let it better stand up to long term track use. Additional stiffness, adjustable suspesion, more cooling.

I would be willing to bet that the single biggest performance enhancer on the CLK Black is the Cup tires.

From a standard set up in suspension to the adjustable ones on a track like Laguna Seca and I bet you can make the car a second to a second and a half faster. Additional stiffness over the standard car is good for what? perhaps a second in the hands of a professional driver?

Change the tires from a 180 tread wear to a 60 and you probable pick up 3 to 4 seconds a lap.

Is this point really one to argue?
Old 10-31-2011 | 05:39 PM

AMG GT C Roadster
I also spoke to a Pirelli rep and heard the same thing back in August. Interesting to see if it turns up.

For tire replacement, I went with best of breed street tires since the R-comp Corsas were costly and really hard to find... and most of my driving is not on the track. While the Corsas may be 10% more fun when you're at the limit, if you're pushing that hard on the street, you're a lot crazy.

I went with PS2s. I'd go with the Super Sports now.