CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Rear Seat install - update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK Black
Originally Posted by kent426
That the common CLK frame structure is not used, I highly disagree. Read all of the articles written by magazines about how AMG builds cars. The only one off car that is completely developed by AMG is the SLS. AMG started as a tuner, taking a stock car and throwing a different motor. So as much as you like to think the BS is a completely different car than its predecessor, you are wrong. It is a track oriented car that weighs 4,000 lbs, keeping a rear seat out and adding a rear strut bar reduces weight and stiffens the chassis. Unless an actual MB tech responds and corrects me, I will respect your opinion as an opinion.
So you think that the warning sticker that AMG puts in the trunk of the CLK Black is there to keep you from storing your gold back there?

If the removal of the back seats reduces weight and the strut tower cross brace stiffens the car, then the load rating of the trunk in the CLK Black should be higher than the normal CLK63 right?

Then why the weight restriction? Hmmm something here might be different huh?
Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
Originally Posted by AMG Dictator
So you think that the warning sticker that AMG puts in the trunk of the CLK Black is there to keep you from storing your gold back there?

If the removal of the back seats reduces weight and the strut tower cross brace stiffens the car, then the load rating of the trunk in the CLK Black should be higher than the normal CLK63 right?

Geez, you think after all the mods and warning that perhaps there is a different between the two chassis? Naw, lets put a back seat in it with our children and say of course it will pass all the regs as the cars are the same.

To anyone who says the cars are the same, don't argue with us, call the insurance company and MB. If either say the chassis are the same and any claim will be under full warranty I will be the first in line to say I was wrong.

Any takers? If no one who says there is no difference is not willing to call MB or an insurance company than STFU.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 PM

2005 C55, 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab diesel, sold 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, sold 87 190e-16v, sold 97 e420

Look, we live in a world where lawyers have run amok in the aims of trying to prevent population control. There are warning stickers on coffee, candy, cars etc. No manufacturer wants you modifying their vehicle in any form, that's why they cancel warranty coverage if you race, add power etc.
I do agree that modifying your seats may give the insurance company's reason to deny coverage in an accident as it is a modification however most will never figure the difference between the CLK63 and CLK63 BS.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
Look, we live in a world where lawyers have run amok in the aims of trying to prevent population control. There are warning stickers on coffee, candy, cars etc. No manufacturer wants you modifying their vehicle in any form, that's why they cancel warranty coverage if you race, add power etc.
I do agree that modifying your seats may give the insurance company's reason to deny coverage in an accident as it is a modification however most will never figure the difference between the CLK63 and CLK63 BS.
You don't own a BS, have no data to support the clk is the same as a bs clk and your willing to bet someones well being an insurance company won't figure the difference with the modification....now this shows intelligence.

I am not from the US and would never be subject to your lawyers however I could not live with myself if the car was in an accident and the people in the rear seat suffered an injury because they couldn't move the front seat recline two inches to get out of the back. Tell me how you would justify that.

Last edited by ecampbell; 11-03-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 PM

2005 C55, 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab diesel, sold 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, sold 87 190e-16v, sold 97 e420
Originally Posted by ecampbell
Geez, you think after all the mods and warning that perhaps there is a different between the two chassis? Naw, lets put a back seat in it with our children and say of course it will pass all the regs as the cars are the same.

To anyone who says the cars are the same, don't argue with us, call the insurance company and MB. If either say the chassis are the same and any claim will be under full warranty I will be the first in line to say I was wrong.

Any takers? If no one who says there is no difference is not willing to call MB or an insurance company than STFU.
I'll give you $10 US dollars if you call and verify. Regardless of whether I have a BS (which I do have a bachelor in Science for engineering (harhar), I would not trust what a bureaucrat sitting behind a desk at an insurance company had to say because they have probably never ridden in a Mercedes, let a lone know what a BS is.
You are taking this conversation kinda personal??? Do you comment negatively on all the links where people remove catalytic converters to install full length headers, change tires and rims??????? Any of those mods could change the very nature of the car leader to a horrific crash.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I'll give you $10 US dollars if you call and verify. Regardless of whether I have a BS (which I do have a bachelor in Science for engineering (harhar), I would not trust what a bureaucrat sitting behind a desk at an insurance company had to say because they have probably never ridden in a Mercedes, let a lone know what a BS is.
You are taking this conversation kinda personal??? Do you comment negatively on all the links where people remove catalytic converters to install full length headers, change tires and rims??????? Any of those mods could change the very nature of the car leader to a horrific crash.
Earl (ecampbell)is a wuss...he is afraid to modify his car, don't let him get to you. You nailed it, he absoluutely hates people that modify their Black Series.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:00 PM

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...ce-corsas.html

Funny, you just quoted in another post that the biggest difference in the CLK 63 BS and CLK 63 is R compound tires????
Old 11-03-2011, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's a video of Earls stocker beating my heavily modified Black Series...he got one of those "factory freaks", he just got a fast one...I personally think he might have been running race gas but he won't admit it.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=AN5dWR_ujU8
Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...ce-corsas.html

Funny, you just quoted in another post that the biggest difference in the CLK 63 BS and CLK 63 is R compound tires????
Where should I start????

Stiffer frame, wider A arms, longer thicker axles, LSD, trans cooler, widebody, composite body panels, brake calipers, brake rotors, fully adjustable coilover suspension, front and rear strut tower braces, larger radiator, larger oil cooler, forged whees, corsa system tires. Then there's all the interior stuff such as the reaer seat delete, relocated battery, special steering wheel, special gear shift lever, lots of carbon fiber etc.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
10 dollars...my long distance call will be more than that! Believe me I am not taking personal and am getting quite a laugh out of the responses. To answer your questions, the BS was meant to have tyres and rims...it was not meant to have a back seat.

Last edited by ecampbell; 11-04-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
Originally Posted by jrcart
Here's a video of Earls stocker beating my heavily modified Black Series...he got one of those "factory freaks", he just got a fast one...I personally think he might have been running race gas but he won't admit it.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=AN5dWR_ujU8
You caught me out...it was a Wednesday build and I got a fast one. I can't see anyone putting aftermarket pieces on.

I am taking the car back to my Merc dealer to see if he can do anything to make it faster....I am sure you will be in the 9's before me but it will be close!

Need to sign off and get in line for buying the booze for the January party...
Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
To paraphrase an old saying....

Those that own a BS know about it....
Those that don't...talk about it....

The more you "talk", the less rational you become....you may have a Bachelor of Science but you also excel in

Old 11-04-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK63 BS, 997tt
This is about making a mod to the car that the manufacturer has warned against due to weight limitations, clearly poses a problem for back seat passengers to exit, and has related insurance issues. Real owners of these cars who know these cars well, have pointed this out as a warning/help to those who are contemplating this or have done this. They are helping by pointing out an issue. A few college courses in engineering and a belief that all warning labels are meaningless CYA legal propaganda, hardly qualify you for anything related to the BS or this issue other than an opinion, that I for one, find no value in.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 PM
PJK

CLK63BS
What do you think generates more rear axle loading:

Racing around a track at 185 mph; or

Putting 120 lbs on a rear seat and driving down the highway at 65 mph?
Old 11-04-2011, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PJK

half way into this thread I pondered a similar thought. The euro rear wing has got to generate a couple hundred pounds of downforce as does those of us running the larger/taller Vorsteiner rear lip spoiler. Myabe that downforce was added into their weight limit factor. All I know is the car did not come with a back seat for a reason so I would never add one. Come to think of it I think the new C63 BS has optional rear seats but I don't think they are available with the aero package. Bottom line there are plenty of other nice cars out there with back seats so I don't see the logic in risking evrything that has been mentioned in this thread plus the added cost to add rear seats.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:21 PM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by PJK

The reality is that the 120 lbs may generate more axle loading because you still have the effects of downforce but now it is also carrying additional full time load.

I read somewhere that the C63 Black is not offered with a rear seat and the aero package due to the loading on the rear axle caused by the downforce generated by the bigger wing.

Not against modding at all just keep your eyes wide open. I wouldn't risk my kids back there. Everything is great until something goes really wrong.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
Pjk, please don't lose sight that we are not trying to argue with you. Other owners of the BS are pointing out to you some things of concern.

My assumptions are as follows.

1. You have probably not done anything to strenghten. Other than to drop the back seat in.
2. You say 120 pounds in the back which sounds like two children.
3. You probably have the stock seats in the front which move forward manually but require power to allow proper access to the rear.
4. There are warning labels from the manufacturer about excessive weight in the back.
5. The battery is in the very centre of where you have now put a back seat.

I don't know if you see it or not but there are a lot of warning signs here that indicate there is a disaster here waiting to happen.

Please understand the message, if god forbid something happened to the passengers in the rear because say they could not get out or if the frame buckled in an accident, how would you feel?

Asking what puts a greater load on the car isn't really the issue. Jim and I have more than the cost of the car in mods (an example is my latest mods which were all safety related and in excess on 10K).

Anyways no more lecture, just be safe and engineer the car properly (at least put in fully manual front seats so someone could get out of the back in the event of a fire).
Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM

So I just thought I'd stir the pot some more in this issue to be a pain but read the test of the latest C63 Black Series.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...g-black-series

"But the C63 Black Series impressed me more with its superb handling, thanks largely to its significantly wider front and rear tracks, plus its specially tuned KW dampers and bushings that have been fine-tuned at the Nurburgring. The anti-roll bars, of note, are the same size as those on the standard C63, but the wheels and tires are much more aggressive; the red car I drove at the Laguna track was fitted with sticky Dunlop Sport Maxx Race MOs, size 255/35ZR-19 in front, 285/30ZR-19 in back, which along with an active cooler for the limited-slip differential comprise the optional AMG Track Package. For comparison, the standard C63 wears 235/40ZR-18 fronts and 255/35ZR-18 rears."

"Fitted with the longer front control arms of the C63 and wheels with additional offset, the Black Series has an additional 1.6 in. of front track. In back, knuckles from the E63 help give the C63 Black Series an extra 3.1 in. of track."

"We will not get the C63 Black Series’ superb single-piece Recaro seats; instead, we will get well-bolstered sport seats with side airbags. The back seat is also optional; by not ordering it, you save 55 lb."

So my point being the following:
  1. Several car companies make race derived cars such as the Porsche GT2 and GT3 which are not one off cars but make modification to existing platforms to make them track ready. None of which have back seats.
  2. As pointed out in the article, back seats can be added to the new car but add a weight penalty.
  3. The cars can take the rear loading of a passenger which is nothing compared to the down force added by the wing at speed, read the articles on the Viper ACR that generates 1200 lbs of down force at speed.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
Help me understand your logic, with C class you can have an optional back seat so you figure you can also put one in a clk...wait that isn't right.

How about this, you can put a back seat in a GT3?...wait that is not right either.

Because the wing on a viper generates 1200 pounds you can put a back seat on a clk bs?

To be honest, what is good for another manufacturer or even the same manufacturer but different platform has nothing to do with what you can or can not do with this car. This car comes with a weight load restriction for the back...does the C class? If not, why not
Old 11-17-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
Originally Posted by ecampbell
Help me understand your logic, with C class you can have an optional back seat so you figure you can also put one in a clk...wait that isn't right.

How about this, you can put a back seat in a GT3?...wait that is not right either.

Because the wing on a viper generates 1200 pounds you can put a back seat on a clk bs?

To be honest, what is good for another manufacturer or even the same manufacturer but different platform has nothing to do with what you can or can not do with this car. This car comes with a weight load restriction for the back...does the C class? If not, why not
+1. Not to mention the fact that there is no discussion of whether the front seats in the C63 BS will be designed to permit quick and easy acess to and from the rear by a rear seat passenger (which I have no doubt they will to comply with safety regulations and which the CLK BS front seats don't). The deductive reasoning of the poster is lacking to say the least.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

All I know is Mercedes/AMG did not place a warning sticker there for no reason. Kent, you're probaly right, nothing bad is probably ever going to happen but why chance it?

As for the info regarding the new Black Series, you can not order the aero and track package with the rear seat option, what does that tell you? That being said I actually think it is cool that they are giving customers the option for rear seats this time around, I think it may even help them sell a few extra units. I think for the purists and repeat BS buyers such as myself we will opt for the rear seat delete. The demographics for the person that purchases a BS owns multiple cars and will not be using the BS as a family truckster or grocery getter eliminating the need for rear seating.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:40 PM
PJK

CLK63BS
Is there is a weight limit for the passenger cabin?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PJK
It's an axle weight limit the way I understand it.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:15 AM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by PJK
Pjk, Any mod has inherent risks. I have a back seat mod in the car that I regret doing because the money could have been spent elsewhere on the car. I don't use the rear seats much but I do use it on occasion because I know the inherent risk involved.

On certain occassions, I've been in a new York taxi with my child in my lap, and I've been in foreign countries without rear child seats. It's not my preference, but sometimes unavoidable. I am pretty damn sure the rear seat mod is safer than those so that gives me some assurance when I use the seats.

That besides, where are the photos? Were you able to connect all the sensors?

Last edited by wonsuk_utmb; 11-18-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:40 AM
PJK

CLK63BS
When designing the CLK63BS, what is the likelihood that Mercedes redesigned the frame of the CLK to crush inwardly in the rear portion of the passenger cabin, thereby eliminating the safety cell design feature present in every other MB product (which MB pioneered)?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Seat install - update