CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

best street tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
best street tire

I know this has been discussed before but I think it's a good time to ask again now that most of us are on our 3rd+ set of tires. What are everyone's opinions on a good street tire for the black series?

I've had Corsas and Pilot Sports so far. My Corsas had serious cupping issues and mine ended up out of round somehow. The Pilots are OK but I've heard that they aren't available in stock sizes anymore.

The best rated tire on TireRack (stock size, matching set) is the Continental ExtremeContact DWS... does anyone have experience with this tire?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ar=With%20TPMS

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 BS
Interested in this thread as well, curious if anyone has tried the new Corsas they came out with this year.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:42 PM

CLK63 Black Series
Do they not make the Pilot Super Sports in OEM sizes ? I currently run the Pilot Sports and have been very happy with them. Excellent for the street and the occasional track day. The OEM Corsas were excellent on the track, but I didn't like them at all on the street since they took so long to get up to temp.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:43 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by clkwork
I know this has been discussed before but I think it's a good time to ask again now that most of us are on our 3rd+ set of tires. What are everyone's opinions on a good street tire for the black series?

I've had Corsas and Pilot Sports so far. My Corsas had serious cupping issues and mine ended up out of round somehow. The Pilots are OK but I've heard that they aren't available in stock sizes anymore.

The best rated tire on TireRack (stock size, matching set) is the Continental ExtremeContact DWS... does anyone have experience with this tire?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ar=With%20TPMS

Thanks,
Jeff
Had a set of DWS's on my M6. Good tire, but not for a Black Series ... wasn't a good tire for the M6 either. This tire is very good in the rain, lets you get away with a lot, but that's about it. Grip level and traction is below the Pilot's, but the sidewall flex is the biggest difference to the Michelins. It was very apparent in the M6, it would be even more noticeable in the Black.

I'd recommend the Michelin PSS.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by PaulWdz
Do they not make the Pilot Super Sports in OEM sizes ?
Not in the rears, you'll have to go 295's, which requires a wider wheel.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
It would seem that we're running out of options. I'm pretty sure the 295's won't work on the stock wheels unfortunately. Other than the Corsas it seems our only choices are:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110
Yokohama ADVAN Sport

The Hankooks are my second choice but I have no experience with the brand. I really hate to go back to Corsas, those were terrible tires for highway driving. I'd roll the dice on the DWS or Hankooks first.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
To run 295's, you need at least a 10 inch wheel. I have wider wheels on my car ... forgot that the PSS won't work.

If you don't mind the drop in performance, go with the DWS. I tried it out, and wouldn't go back to it. You'll have a hard time putting power down and turn in will be sloppy ... same when you lean on the tire in a corner. Besides that, the tread goes all the way into the sidewall ... makes it look strange ... but great in the rain. Just giving you my first hand experience ... final decision is yours.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by SMP
To run 295's, you need at least a 10 inch wheel. I have wider wheels on my car ... forgot that the PSS won't work.

If you don't mind the drop in performance, go with the DWS. I tried it out, and wouldn't go back to it. You'll have a hard time putting power down and turn in will be sloppy ... same when you lean on the tire in a corner. Besides that, the tread goes all the way into the sidewall ... makes it look strange ... but great in the rain. Just giving you my first hand experience ... final decision is yours.
I trust your judgement and will probably avoid the DWS. I've read a few good reviews for the Hankooks but all of them have been on lighter cars. I'm not sure how well they would work on the black.

I've had bad experiences with Yokohama tires on my vette and would like to avoid those as well, but it would be good to hear from anyone that's tried them on a BS. Or anything else that I haven't listed for that matter.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:04 PM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
Sorry for laughing but I went though this exact exercise recently and purchased new wheels instead so that I could increase my tire options.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 AM

2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
Originally Posted by badbenzz
Sorry for laughing but I went though this exact exercise recently and purchased new wheels instead so that I could increase my tire options.
+1. I did the same. There was also recently a thread from some company that was making a replica OEM wheel in 11" for the rear and recommending people move the rears to the fromt so they do not have to buy a completely new set. I have not heard any updates though.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:05 AM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
I was interested in the replica wheel as well but never heard anything from them after they initially posted.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLK 63 BS
Have been running the Corsa's on the OEM wheels, mostly on the track, works well (for me). For "roadrage" running PS2's on HRE M40's in OEM size (i.e. 9 x 19 + 9.5 x 19), which works well.

As there is hardly any thread left on Corsa's, I arranged (with the assistance of AMG) a new set of Corsa's. This was at the end of last year, when Pirelli (after a bit of pushing) made 40 sets for the CLK BSs. Not sure if any of these sets is left still, you may wish to check with AMG directly.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Yoko ADVAN Sport or Michelin PS2 (if you can still find them) in the OEM sizes. I first went with the Yokos, but they didn't have freshies in the warehouses, so I ended up with PS2.

I am now running PSS but with wider wheels.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
I have Conti extreme DW( not DWS) and sidewall is stable under hard acceleration and handling is great...better than Bridgestone 050As and Michelin Ps2s...........
Old 06-19-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
this is just my 2 cents but dws are not worth it imo because they are not specific enough (all season tires) i rencently purchase conti sc5 for my higly modified c55 and they are really stuning. Apart from changing them every 4 months they are incredible tires. I also beleive they are stock tires on the sls which probably proves that they are one of the best tires you can buy.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes and more
Originally Posted by badbenzz
I was interested in the replica wheel as well but never heard anything from them after they initially posted.
Hey guys, that is us. We expect the new rear wheels in next week or the week after. I will update all the info in this thread here https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...ies-wheel.html

We would love to get more of these on the market to open up those tire options. Our local BS owner ran into the same challenge so we worked out this solution for him with MOZ Wheels who we have done a lot of work with.

More to come.. we are taking orders as they come for this setup.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:00 PM

CLK63BS
Originally Posted by abiazis
I have Conti extreme DW( not DWS) and sidewall is stable under hard acceleration and handling is great...
I have the same set (DW) and ran them at Laguna today ... they don't grip anything like Toyo's, of course, but were highly predicable. Thought they did well for what they are, and they're quiet on the street
Old 10-18-2012, 01:36 AM

2005 CLK55 AMG
I'm a newbie to the CLK55, and need to get new tires. My philosophy on tires is to generally always at least start with what the car came with from the factory, then go from there.

My (early 2005 year model) owners manual package had a Continental card, so I assume mine had Continentals. What model of Continental did the CLK55 come with from the factory? Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
The best pure summer performance tire hands down is the Michelin pilot super sport.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:56 AM

2005 C55, 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab diesel, sold 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, sold 87 190e-16v, sold 97 e420
I run the Conti DW in Seattle for my daily driver and rain track tires. They are faster than the hoosier wets on the AutoX circuit, GrassRootsMotorsports did some great track tests on them.

The hot tire in the dry is the Hankook RS3, less than a second off Hoosiers in lap time which is phenomenal considering the price of the tires.

I have Dunlop Star Specs as my dry tires on the C55 and Porsche 944 Turbo and they aren't as fast on the track.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:15 AM

911 Turbo
Hankook RS3

Just got a set on my 911 turbo. Much better than the current Michelin tires and very under rated!