CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Top Gear's Richard Hammond on Jeremy Clarkson's CLK BS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3-pointed star
Top Gear's Richard Hammond on Jeremy Clarkson's CLK BS

I noticed an episode of Top Gear where Richard was mocking Jeremy for owning a CLK BS because the car's suspension is so rough it feels like it was built for the track.

How do you CLK BS owners feel? The most firm suspension I've felt was on a 2008 C6 Z06.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
The Black Series suspension is on the rough side. In my opinion, more harsh than a ZO6, but a fair trade-off, in view of the razor sharp handling, which is also unmatched by the ZO6. This can be lessened by switching away from the Pirelli's, and by judicious lowering of tire pressures.
If you live in an area with a lot of corrugated concrete highways (like the bridge area of the Chicago Skyway), it can beat up your passenger. Peculiarly, as the driver, I'm not aware of it so much when driving alone, but very aware with my wife in the car.
It is fundamentally a steet-licensed track car, with amenities. In my opinion, it is a good compromise, as nothing else compares in terms of responsiveness, steering feel, and sound. If you live in an area with smooth asphalt highways, and not a lot of speed bumps, you probably will not have too much of a concern. AS
Old 07-24-2012, 03:14 PM
JDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Andrew's assessment of the ride quality is the same as mine. Relatively smooth payment is fine, but washboard surfaces are a little unpleasant. The ride is perfect on a twisty road or on the track.

Final note. The ride is definitely like anything that could be classified as "Mercedes-like". The ride is designed to deliver superb handling, not superb comfort.

JDB
Old 07-24-2012, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
I have always been baffled by the comments of people who complain the CLK63 Black Series is 'rough riding'. The car looks like a DTM race car, has no back seats, and is marketed as an all out performance car!! Why is the firm ride a surprise to anyone? I would be more upset if it rode too smoothly because I would know the engineers left something on the table when designing the suspension.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
I have always been baffled by the comments of people who complain the CLK63 Black Series is 'rough riding'. The car looks like a DTM race car, has no back seats, and is marketed as an all out performance car!! Why is the firm ride a surprise to anyone? I would be more upset if it rode too smoothly because I would know the engineers left something on the table when designing the suspension.
+1

I even went with a set of after market sport springs and I think it rides just fine

G
Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Richard Hammond sustained a major head injury when he crashed a rocket car on Top Gear. Some say ....it caused brain damage! All we know is that the BS was the best driving car Clarkson has ever driven.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 AM

2009 ML350
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Richard Hammond sustained a major head injury when he crashed a rocket car on Top Gear. Some say ....it caused brain damage! All we know is that the BS was the best driving car Clarkson has ever driven.
We also know that when you back off the throttle it sounds as though a Dinosaur is Politely Chuckling!

One of his most hilarious descriptions, imo.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:31 AM

'07 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by chrono12
We also know that when you back off the throttle it sounds as though a Dinosaur is Politely Chuckling!

One of his most hilarious descriptions, imo.