CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK BS vs C BS (Handling dept)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3-pointed star
CLK BS vs C BS (Handling dept)

The C63 Coupe Black Series handling looked very sloppy on Top Gear, has anyone driven or own both a CLK BS and C BS to compare?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
You have to drive like an @ss on purpose to do that in a CBS. The CLKBS is more tail happy than the CBS.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Originally Posted by rage2
You have to drive like an @ss on purpose to do that in a CBS. The CLKBS is more tail happy than the CBS.
Agreed
Personally I found Clarkson's review of the C63 BS to be well off the mark. Not a useful guide at all
Old 08-07-2012, 11:40 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
A very good friend of mine handed me the keys to his CBS today, so I could get a feel about the difference between his car and my CLK. Posted it on AMG PL and thought I share my opinion here as well.

The two cars feel pretty different right away by just sitting behind the wheel. Seats are not as tight and don't offer the same amount of lateral support as in the CLK. It feels bigger, more luxurious and reminded me a bit of my now sold M6. Not as noisy, bouncy, edgy and involving ... much more relaxed to drive, especially when going fast. Turn in is not as crisp, steering feels a little numb with less feedback. It feels more assisted than the CLK's, which is probably the reason why it is not as communicative. The transmission is much better in the CBS. MCT shifts crisper going up the gears and has a smoother transition on the down shifts. However, the biggest difference is how easy you can put the power to the ground ... in my opinion due to the new differential and revised suspension geometry. The rear end has way more grip than the CLK ... not tail happy at all ... very confidence inspiring after only a few corners. You can carry a lot of speed into a turn, be early on the throttle and the rear end stays planted ... not as much of a balancing act as in the CLK. Unless you have absolutely no idea about the dynamics of driving fast, or purposely like Top Gear, hold the car in a low gear and make every effort to keep it in a powerslide, the CBS has plenty of rear end grip.

Overall it's a great car, very well balanced and fun to drive ... but I still prefer the CLK ... because I have to put in some effort to go fast
Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Originally Posted by SMP
The two cars feel pretty different right away by just sitting behind the wheel. Seats are not as tight and don't offer the same amount of lateral support as in the CLK. It feels bigger, more luxurious and reminded me a bit of my now sold M6. Not as noisy, bouncy, edgy and involving ... much more relaxed to drive, especially when going fast. Turn in is not as crisp, steering feels a little numb with less feedback. It feels more assisted than the CLK's, which is probably the reason why it is not as communicative.
Overall it's a great car, very well balanced and fun to drive ... but I still prefer the CLK ... because I have to put in some effort to go fast
Great review thanks a lot Sir!
I read the EVO mag and they said the C BS was too civilized unlike the clk bs.
Everything was too easy in the C BS and they like the CLK BS better because it was more of a racecar feel. The only thing they didn't like in the CLK was the gearbox.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOII_Racer
Could it be that the C/BS is really just a C Coupe with some option packages ?

I'm just saying'

Take a look at the window stickers for each. On the window sticker for the CLK/BS, the name of the car in the description refers to it as a CLK Black Series ... for the C/BS the name says it's a C Class Coupe with a number of option packages available. If I remember correctly, the CLK/BS only option was the iPod connection.

I also know the the CLK/BS has a specific VIN ... it references a Black Series car separate from a standard CLK. I don't know for sure, but, does the C/BS reference a Black Series car or just a C Class Coupe ?

So the question is .... When is a Black Series not a Black Series?

Hey .... I'm just saying'

Flame Suit On !!!!

G
Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3-pointed star
Everything was too easy in the C BS and they like the CLK BS better because it was more of a racecar feel. The only thing they didn't like in the CLK was the gearbox.
I'm curious to hear from folks who track their CLK BS, if the gearbox is not as intuitive do you just leave it on auto mode?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Everything was too easy in the C BS and they as the CLK BS better because it was more of a racecar feel. The only thing they didn't like in the CLK was the gearbox.
It's easy to drive ... too easy for my taste ... the car doesn't require a lot of talent to go fast . It's still fun to drive ... it's just not as exciting and involving as the CLK. To me, it drives like an M car with torque ... effortless and predictable ... which is not a bad thing, since I love M cars.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Originally Posted by SL55_Forever
I'm curious to hear from folks who track their CLK BS, if the gearbox is not as intuitive do you just leave it on auto mode?
I think the gearbox is pretty predictable in the CLKBS, it's just not as nice as the more modern MCT.

Most us tend to leave the car in Sport mode, it does an incredible job at knowing which gear to be in and when. If you prefer to shift in 100% Manual mode you can certainly do that. Or, if you want to augment Sport mode with an occasional up or downshift you can do that with the paddles pretty easily.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by mellowyellow
I think the gearbox is pretty predictable in the CLKBS, it's just not as nice as the more modern MCT.

Most us tend to leave the car in Sport mode, it does an incredible job at knowing which gear to be in and when. If you prefer to shift in 100% Manual mode you can certainly do that. Or, if you want to augment Sport mode with an occasional up or downshift you can do that with the paddles pretty easily.
+1

G
Old 08-12-2012, 03:24 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
I'll let someone else chime in regarding - "when is a black series a black series, is this really just a C coupe, etc." I know it was a little tongue in cheek, but the BS is different in every way... body, suspension, differential, engine, interior, etc. 7:46 around the Ring, etc.

What I was going to post is an appreciation for the driving review. I have a C63 BS on order, and something that has worried me is the daily drivability of the car. While I have had other harsh weekend fun toys, I am buying this car as a daily driver (not a lot of commuting or traffic), hoping it was "softer" than the CLK. My quest is for a car with at least a small backseat for kids, that is an animal when you want it to be, but can do ok daily driving. I think that the 2012 E63 AMG PP is about the most capable 4 door I can think of in that regard, but its just a bit bigger and more room than I need right now. And the "regular" C63 just doesnt seem "special" enough to me if you can say that about such an extraordinary car.

So bottom line, sounds like for someone like me that is looking for a car that is just a bit "softer" than CLK BS (have driven it, the most exciting car I have ever been in, including 997tt), the C63 BS will be right on the money. What do you think based on your drive, would it be great as a daily driver? Thanks again for the review.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by jtrichel
I'll let someone else chime in regarding - "when is a black series a black series, is this really just a C coupe, etc." I know it was a little tongue in cheek, but the BS is different in every way... body, suspension, differential, engine, interior, etc. 7:46 around the Ring, etc.

What I was going to post is an appreciation for the driving review. I have a C63 BS on order, and something that has worried me is the daily drivability of the car. While I have had other harsh weekend fun toys, I am buying this car as a daily driver (not a lot of commuting or traffic), hoping it was "softer" than the CLK. My quest is for a car with at least a small backseat for kids, that is an animal when you want it to be, but can do ok daily driving. I think that the 2012 E63 AMG PP is about the most capable 4 door I can think of in that regard, but its just a bit bigger and moreguy room than I need right now. And the "regular" C63 just doesnt seem "special" enough to me if you can say that about such an extraordinary car.

So bottom line, sounds like for someone like me that is looking for a car that is just a bit "softer" than CLK BS (have driven it, the most exciting car I have ever been in, including 997tt), the C63 BS will be right on the money. What do you think based on your drive, would it be great as a daily driver? Thanks again for the review.
You have a C63 BS on order? I read over on private lounge production was completed over six weeks ago. Are you sure you have one on order? I'm pretty sure all that are headed to North America are already here. Better call your dealership in the morning and ask for an explanation. They were going to make a handful of 2013 Ducati editions but the sale of Ducati to VW/Audi put those dreams to and end.

Last edited by jrcart; 08-12-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:39 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Originally Posted by jrcart
You have a C63 BS on order? I read over on private lounge production was completed over six weeks ago. Are you sure you have one on order? I'm pretty sure all that are headed to North America are already here. Better call your dealership in the morning and ask for an explanation. They were going to make a handful of 2013 Ducati editions but the sale of Ducati to VW/Audi put those dreams to and end.

Well that is quite a bomb to drop on a guy. I will inquire tomorrow, but I have a copy of the order sheet with a PO number, my name on it, etc. Was told September production. Told that the car was locked...i.e. no more changes, etc. Would be quite the development if my firm order was for some reason canceled.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:58 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series

What I was going to post is an appreciation for the driving review. I have a C63 BS on order, and something that has worried me is the daily drivability of the car. While I have had other harsh weekend fun toys, I am buying this car as a daily driver (not a lot of commuting or traffic), hoping it was "softer" than the CLK. My quest is for a car with at least a small backseat for kids, that is an animal when you want it to be, but can do ok daily driving. I think that the 2012 E63 AMG PP is about the most capable 4 door I can think of in that regard, but its just a bit bigger and more room than I need right now. And the "regular" C63 just doesnt seem "special" enough to me if you can say that about such an extraordinary car.

Congrats on your order, I'm sure you're excited! I guess it depends on what you're used too ... but in my opinion it would make an excellent daily driver. Very docile handling characteristics, well balanced suspension settings, smooth automatic transmission and power delivery, brakes and steering with more assist for ease of use ... all in all very effortless and predictable to drive with room for a couple of kids in the back ... unless you know what you're looking at, it blends in like an M car ... except when equipped with that Honda-ish rear spoiler

If your car is September production ... it's going to be the same as the current CBS, except MY 2013 ... AMG planned to make a few Ducati editions which were cancelled after the sale to VW/Audi since it would be a conflict of interest.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
There are a small number of 2013s coming. There's a sept production/November delivery coming to my dealer. There was an article that talked about MB increasing production by 150 cars worldwide, guessing these are the 2013s which were originally the Ducati cars before the buyout.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/18/m...series-coupes/
Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
The C63BS is a good daily driver, trust me on this! Suspension is definitely more suited to this vs the CLK BS. You will Not regret it, just make sure you remove secondary cats....makes a world of difference to exhaust note

Last edited by Maverick1975; 08-13-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 AM

2013 C63 Black Series
I emailed and spoke with my salesman this morning. In case its interesting to the community here, I thought I would post his exact response, cut and paste from his email:

"I am absolutely 100% sure that you have a 2013 C 63 AMG Black Series in the production cycle with your name on it. You are welcome to stop by here anytime and view this on my secure netstar screen. I have been selling Mercedes-Benz for 18 years and you may rest assured that when they schedule a car for production, it will be built. What the chatters and bloggers may be referring to is the schedule itself is closed meaning that no more will be scheduled. Contact me anytime if you have any questions."

I called him and got the same story over phone.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Maverick1975
The C63BS is a good daily driver, trust me on this! Suspension is definitely more suited to this vs the CLK BS. You will Not regret it, just make sure you remove secondary cats....makes a world of difference to exhaust note
I have seen you vid and the car sounds great. Did you leave the resonator in? What if I just removed my resonator and left the post cat; how much sound do you think I would gain?

I gained a ton of sound from just a resonator removal on my M157TT BTW.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 AM

2008 G55, 2012 C63 BS
I emailed and spoke with my salesman this morning. In case its interesting to the community here, I thought I would post his exact response, cut and paste from his email:

"I am absolutely 100% sure that you have a 2013 C 63 AMG Black Series in the production cycle with your name on it. You are welcome to stop by here anytime and view this on my secure netstar screen. I have been selling Mercedes-Benz for 18 years and you may rest assured that when they schedule a car for production, it will be built. What the chatters and bloggers may be referring to is the schedule itself is closed meaning that no more will be scheduled. Contact me anytime if you have any questions."

I wonder if still be possible to get one?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:52 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
According to him, no more. Whatever is in schedule for production is it. I think they all have names on them. I do think its possible that some people will back out of their orders, I think that is where the opportunity will be. But with not many, it will be slim pickings...
Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are a small number of 2013s coming. There's a sept production/November delivery coming to my dealer. There was an article that talked about MB increasing production by 150 cars worldwide, guessing these are the 2013s which were originally the Ducati cars before the buyout.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/18/m...series-coupes/
This has not been confirmed and from what I hear if it does happen they will not be coming to North America
Old 08-13-2012, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
This has not been confirmed and from what I hear if it does happen they will not be coming to North America
The AMG guys confirmed it in the last PL chat (July 25th, page 2). Also confirmed that Canada will be getting all theirs in Matte White. With only 3-4 cars coming to Canada for MY2013, Matte white is going to be by far the rarest color since it's not available without going through the Performance Studio.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not to rain on your parade but I would take your salesmen up on his offer and ask for a copy of the Net Star screen becuase I spoke to my dealership today and had him check and he said there is no ordeing info on Net Star for a 2013 C63 Black Series. If what your salemen is saying is true and he has a build date that would also mean he has a VIN, ask him for a VIN. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all or rain on your parade but I was involved in a HUGE debacle late last year and into early this year trying to get my C63 BS built. Long story short somebody dropped the ball and people at the top in Germany had to get involved and actually produced an extra car for me that was not slated to be produced. I became intimately involved and knowledgable on the ordering and tracking process takes place. Find out what code Net Star is supposedly showing if the salesman can't tell you that you do not have a car on order. If what he is telling you is true you should at least have an "A" code status.

MERCEDES PRODUCTION CATEGORY CODES
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––– –
CATEGORY "A" – VEHICLE SCHEDULED
A4 FINAL SUPPLIER ORDER/SCHEDULED NOT PRODUCED
CATEGORY "B" – PRODUCTION
B0 19 DAYS TO PRODUCTION
B1 13 DAYS TO PRODUCTION
B3 NO CHANGES POSSIBLE
B4 2 DAYS TO COMPLETION
B5 PRODUCTION COMPLETE
B6 FACTORY INVOICED
CATEGORY "B" - PRODUCED/READY TO SHIP
B7 AT PORT/READY TO BE SHIPPED
B8 ASSIGNED TO SHIP
CATEGORY "C" – SHIPPING
C1 SHIP DEPARTED
C2 SHIP NOTIFICATION/ON WATER
CS SUBMITTED TO CUSTOMS
C3 CLEARED CUSTOMS
C4 AT PORT
CATEGORY "D" – VEHICLE IN PORT
D1 VPC RECEIVED
D2 SURVEYED AT VPC
D3 POTENTIAL DELAY
D4 READY TO DELIVER
D5 RELEASED TO CARRIER
D9 WHOLESALE/CONSIGNMENT PENDING
CATEGORY "F" – EN ROUTE TO DEALER
F1 WHOLESALED AND INVOICED
CATEGORY "I" – AT DEALER
I1 RETAIL

Last edited by jrcart; 08-13-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The AMG guys confirmed it in the last PL chat (July 25th, page 2). Also confirmed that Canada will be getting all theirs in Matte White. With only 3-4 cars coming to Canada for MY2013, Matte white is going to be by far the rarest color since it's not available without going through the Performance Studio.
Good info, I was not involved in the last PL chat session. Did they confirm any US bound 2013's or just Canada? As of 11:00am today there was no ordering info on U.S. Net Star system.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:00 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
thanks JRCart, this is actually very helpful. You have armed me with some insights I didnt have. I will blow a gasket if it turns out I dont really have this car. I had a couple options for others that I let go to order one new. For what it's worth, this dealer had a matte black track car inbound. I saw the VIN, everything. It was at port. What I was told was that they traded that car away for my allocation. This was at my request, with my deposit $$ paid. I didnt want the matte black. So, how I understood was that this allocation/build car was already near production, and this dealer traded away their one BS for it. That history, combined with the email from this approx 20 year MB sales guy gives me hope that perhaps I snagged one of the last allocations. But I will go stare at his computer screen today and report back. The latest he sent to me had a PO, not VIN on it, but I dont know whether he has it or not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK BS vs C BS (Handling dept)