CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

"ESP SPORT Handling mode" for CLK Black Series?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK BS
"ESP SPORT Handling mode" for CLK Black Series?

It could be possible add the "ESP Sport Handling mode" from the C63 AMG to the CLK BS? As Mercedes says: "This means more fun at the wheel for drivers who are keen to exploit the vehicle's dynamic potential."

As you know the black only has ESP ON and ESP OFF..And i think is a problem..because much times is very intrusive,and if you turn off is imposible to drive. I think it would be a great idea..maybe our friend Ralf from Germany could make his magic again..what do you think about??

Ive seen recently a modification made here in Spain adding an ESP unit with 10 levels to a Ferrari F40,
And now it could be driven hard in all conditions,as the owner wanted..

C63 AMG ESP:

"Briefly pressing the ESP® button activates "ESP SPORT Handling" mode. This dynamically oriented driving mode applies appropriate control strategies for later ESP® intervention and increased drive torque at the rear axle. This means more fun at the wheel for drivers who are keen to exploit the vehicle's dynamic potential. Pressing the ESP®button longer activates "ESP OFF". In this mode, the ESP®functions are not available. ESP OFF should only be used by experienced drivers on cordoned-off race tracks. When the driver steps on the brake pedal in the course of braking in "SPORT Handling" mode or "ESP OFF" mode, all the safety functions of the ESP® system are restored."

Last edited by CarmuseBS; 03-20-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:14 AM

CLK63 AMG BS
Interesting idea, but that is the one mod I wouldn't want from a 3rd party...and AMG is not going to supply the update due to liability. So unfortunately this is a very unlikely mod to come to fruition.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:42 AM

CLK BS
Yes i dont think Mercedes is going to give us anything too..but maybe that upgrade could be "copy" from de C63 AMG and "paste" on a CLk BS as Ralf did with the "blip", we dont have to invent nothing..all is already done and it will be "original" from mercedes. I really think having 3 Modes of ESP + Blip function will put this car on another level ( and only is software upgrade, because the hardware we have is insuperable..the best of 40 years of Mercedes-AMG)

Originally Posted by primecut
Interesting idea, but that is the one mod I wouldn't want from a 3rd party...and AMG is not going to supply the update due to liability. So unfortunately this is a very unlikely mod to come to fruition.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 & C63PP, 203CL
Hello,
The Blip Is not copy and paste from a C63 Strukture.... If this right and so simpel, many Others make this Feature before us....
But why i invest many of my Short time again To make a Feature, And Others c&p......WHY.....

Last edited by german32er; 03-23-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:29 PM

CLK BS
Ralf i'm a fan of your job (i think its brilliant)..it was only a way to try to explain me..sorry if it has been fortuneless. Are u saying that the blip you did was copy by the others companys?? I thought you sold it for them..

And what about this ESP sport mode, can be done??
As we talk before, maybe i will visit you this summer with the black to make the magic....

Originally Posted by german32er
Hello,
The Blip Is not copy and paste from a C63 Strukture.... If this right and so simpel, many Others make this Feature before us....
But why i invest many of my Short time again To make a Feature, And Others c&p......WHY.....
Old 03-25-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
This would be interesting if possible. What are the advantages of having ESP Sport mode? Wouldn't practice in car control provide the same result?
Old 03-26-2015, 01:33 AM

CLK63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by MOFLO
This would be interesting if possible. What are the advantages of having ESP Sport mode? Wouldn't practice in car control provide the same result?
I suppose the car will give you some leeway but not let you kill yourself
Old 03-26-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
Originally Posted by CarmuseBS
As you know the black only has ESP ON and ESP OFF..And i think is a problem..because much times is very intrusive,and if you turn off is imposible to drive.

I'm really surprised that you think the car is "impossible to drive" with the ESP off.

I think part of the reason no one has ever asked this question before is because the car drives so well with ESP off. Its a very predictable car that handles well. As long as it is dry then the ESP is always off in my car.

Perhaps there is some other issue with your car?
Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 PM

2008 CLK63 BS
I turn ESP off as soon as I start the car. I view it as a crude system, so I would rather be in control. I could see using it if the system performed like a new C6/C7 Vette, or other modern performance car.

Mike
Old 03-27-2015, 03:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by Euro
I turn ESP off as soon as I start the car. I view it as a crude system, so I would rather be in control. I could see using it if the system performed like a new C6/C7 Vette, or other modern performance car.

Mike
Mike,

I'm not familiar with the 'ESP' in the C6/C7 Vette's.

How are the systems different between the Vette and CLK?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:44 PM

2008 CLK63 BS
It's not called ESP in the GM cars, but Performance Traction Management (PTM). The different modes allow more slip/less computer interaction. They have an advantage in that they tie in the electronic suspension with the traction control and stability control. I know the C63 BS system is much better than ours with a few modes available, but still lacking when compared to other cars.

The ZL1 Camaro has 5 different modes in the MT cars, 3 modes in the Auto cars.

C7

Z28 "flying car mode"

A lot of new cars have really fast-responsive traction control/stability control systems, if only we could upgrade our CLK63 BS's with some new hardware/software!

Mike
Old 03-27-2015, 08:59 PM

CLK BS
Im very surprise how about EURO & WHITEBLACK could drive on traffic the CLK BS with ESP OFF!! (and pushing hard) I really think that could be dangerous and has to be reservered only for the track (and at this moment you can say goodbay for your tyres) I have my BS 5 years and i know him..he is a beast with an OLD INTRUSIVE ESP system (maybe is for that reason that you turn off) On my opinion only needs a little upgrade to let us enjoy all the funny potencial from this "safety car"

Here a video of C63 AMG comparing a Burnout + Acceleration in ESP NORMAL, SPORT & ESP OFF Mode:

Old 03-28-2015, 01:39 PM

2008 CLK63 BS
Before we bought our BS I did all of the research, read all of the reviews that I could find and they all mentioned how tail-happy the car was. We got our car in the middle of April (Chicago) and it had all-season Continental tires on the car (southern California car). The car was stock and I can tell you it was not tail-happy at all, in fact it would hardly do much of a burn-out at all with ESP off. That was just flooring the car from a slight roll (5-10 mph), not brake-torqueing the car.

Once I did ECU Tuning, air filters and removed the secondary cats & added an X-pipe (maybe 45-50hp), it was definitely tail-happy then! That 45-50 hp seemed to have flipped the car over to the other side and was now fun! Stock as delivered I was disappointed with power. Around that time I got the new wheels on with RE-11's, those tires helped, but it is still an animal.

However, ESP still remains off when I drive it (exception would be cold out/damp out/cold summer tires). If you are a rookie like me, it will make you a better driver.

Mike