CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Brake Upgrade experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
I was contemplating going with RB rotors initially but decided in trying the Girodisc first. I will definitely look into Castrol SRF on the next brake fluid flush.

Thanks for your insight ML63_AMG!
Old 04-21-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 63 BS
Originally Posted by MOFLO
I was contemplating going with RB rotors initially but decided in trying the Girodisc first. I will definitely look into Castrol SRF on the next brake fluid flush.

Thanks for your insight ML63_AMG!
Would be great to hear from a member who tried both or maybe members who tried one with best disc pad combinations
Old 04-23-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by Tal@ACGAutomotive
Girodiscs would be a great next step for you and like I said if you feel you need a larger disc, I have adapters for the OEM calipers to run the SLS/C63BS front 390mm rotors.
Just want to confirm that one could retain the existing CLK63 BS calipers and run a 390 mm rotor. 360 mm is stock, no? Seems like a big jump. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:47 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
I haven't tried or seen a 390mm using stock CLKBS calipers. I imagine the arc/curvature of the stock caliper would not be the proper fit or alignment to the larger diameter/arc/curvature of the 390mm rotor. This would mean the proper brake force would not be applied and not evenly distributed across the entire rotor surface. However, we are only talking about 30mm or 1.18 inche difference but they say every inch counts... LOL!

Anyone have a picture of this 390m with stock CLKBS caliper setup?
Old 04-25-2015, 09:04 AM

CLK63 BS
However, we are only talking about 30mm or 1.18 inche difference but they say every inch counts... LOL!
If I'm not mistaken, relative to the caliper's piston arc, we're looking at 15mm difference - still not a small number, but seems like it could work. Calipers would need a different bracket to mount. Not sure how that would affect fitment of stock 19's but if they work with a C63BS's 19 guess its possible w/the CLK. But given that your still using the stock size pad, where is the extra "bite" coming from (not attributable to the better pads) with the larger rotor?

Just looking for knowledge; have no immediate plans to mod my system.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:59 AM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by NYC_Z06
But given that your still using the stock size pad, where is the extra "bite" coming from (not attributable to the better pads) with the larger rotor?
Thanks NYC_Z06. Ultimately, that is the question ^^^

Is 15mm going to make a significant difference?
Will larger rotors significantly help brake cooling (this being seiffikry's main issues in this tread)?
Old 04-25-2015, 11:55 AM

CLK63 BS
Will larger rotors significantly help brake cooling (this being seiffikry's main issues in this tread)?
Didn't do well in physics (or geometry for that matter), but my guess would be that the greater surface area would allow for the heat to dissipate quicker than it would with a smaller rotor. So that, coupled with functional cooling ducts would address some universal issues associated w/the OEM parts. Then add the suggestions of using Racing Brake or Girodisc w/better pads and fluids and the the OP should be on his way.

I'll just throw out there though that there are owners who also like to play w/the aesthetics of their BS and for whom a larger front and rear rotor would look more correct when up-sizing to a 20" rim. So not to jack the OP's thread but there was some helpful info here for all owners.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 & C63PP, 203CL
hello,
i drive the 390mm "upgrade" now 3 years on my C63, and i can really say its a big different!!!
the calippers at the CLK BS fit perfect the 390/36mm disk, you only need the other disk`s and other bracktes or spacers to mount the "old calipper" with the big 390mm disk. also the pads are the same, no problem!!!
yes, the disk is only 30mm larger, but this 390mm brake works complet different!
at a normal CLK63 "not BS" the disks have a other thickness, they are only 32mm, at BS the disks have 36mm -> same as the 390mm disks, therefore chance it for a signiffikant better brake!!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:11 AM

CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by german32er
hello,
i drive the 390mm "upgrade" now 3 years on my C63, and i can really say its a big different!!!
the calippers at the CLK BS fit perfect the 390/36mm disk, you only need the other disk`s and other bracktes or spacers to mount the "old calipper" with the big 390mm disk. also the pads are the same, no problem!!!
yes, the disk is only 30mm larger, but this 390mm brake works complet different!
at a normal CLK63 "not BS" the disks have a other thickness, they are only 32mm, at BS the disks have 36mm -> same as the 390mm disks, therefore chance it for a signiffikant better brake!!
Buddy, you need to open up a satellite shop or franchise here in the states. Great info. Thanks for confirming. Pls. alert us the next time you're in the US doing blip conversions.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:04 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
^^^I concur^^^

Great info Ralf!

Will the OEM 19" BS wheels fit over the 390mm rotors?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
^^^I concur^^^

Great info Ralf!

Will the OEM 19" BS wheels fit over the 390mm rotors?
Yes they will.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:27 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Racing brake also sells the caliper upgrade kits as well along with their new monoblock caliper design. I highly recommend using their entire package if you do not already have any upgrades. They sell the rotors, calipers, lines, pads, and etc all in one package for significantly less than other majaor brake packages, and in my opinion they are far better suited for the track as they are stronger.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Originally Posted by ML63 AMG
Racing brake also sells the caliper upgrade kits as well along with their new monoblock caliper design. I highly recommend using their entire package if you do not already have any upgrades. They sell the rotors, calipers, lines, pads, and etc all in one package for significantly less than other majaor brake packages, and in my opinion they are far better suited for the track as they are stronger.
Can't agree more. In fact we have proposed the same to Porsche 991 GT3 owners (w/standard or pccb brakes) for upgrading to our complete brake kit other than just rotor and pad which still limit the overall performance to some extent.

Caliper Upgrade - A Replacement beyond Rotor and Pad

RacingBrake caliper kits are designed to use the OE rotors (stock 1 pc or RB 2 pc), and that's another advantage that none of the aftermarket brake kit supplier can offer the same flexibility.

Same feature as we offer for M63 front kit by using 390x36 (stock size) two piece rotors, and the rear is also upsized to 390x30

For W164:
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Calipe.../mb-irp-02.htm

For W166:
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Calipe.../mb-irp-01.htm

Nissan GT-R owners replacing OE Brembo calipers to RB calipers for the following reasons:
1. Poor cooling properties
2. Tapering top to bottom on pads
3. Tapering front to back on pads
4. Burnt dust seals
5. Separated two piece pistons
6. Easily chipped surface
7. Uneven color due to heat
See complete review in this thread:

RacingBrake Replacement Caliper Review

We have different brake kits for Mercedes especially for "S" series, you can run RB kits for better performance, look, and durability.

The complete RB 6-pot and 4-pot car kit ($6-7K) still costs substantial less than a routine brake job done by MB dealers (costing this S63 owner $9700).

Should you give it a serious consideration when your brake is due to replacement or upgrade like Porsche 991 or GT-R owners?

Last edited by RacingBrake; 05-06-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:41 AM

clk 63 amg black series

Hi all .. A mate just tagged me this thread and I thought I would have some relevant information..<br/>I've been running brembo kit for about 20k track kms..<br/>I can honestly say it's the single best improvement I have made to my car.. <br/>Brake modulation is fantastic.. And feel slows much better driving for threshold braking to avoid our intrusive ABS.<br/><br/>Yes it's a big investment but worth it in the long run.. I've only changed rotors once and this alone has made the investment worthwhile... <br/>
Old 06-21-2015, 02:43 AM

clk 63 amg black series
I also forgot to mention that it is engineered to work with the factory Abs .
Feel free to ask me any thing.

Thanks

Trent.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:26 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Promodvw,

What is that silver round thing sticking down from the bottom of the side molding? Is that a extra block to jack up the car quickly? or an exhaust outlet?

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2015, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Promodvw,

What is that silver round thing sticking down from the bottom of the side molding? Is that a extra block to jack up the car quickly? or an exhaust outlet?

Thanks!

Same question

Thank-You
D.B.

`
Old 06-22-2015, 05:52 PM

clk 63 amg black series

Hi guys.. Thanks for your interest .. The item that you are referring to is the front air jack..<br/>
Old 06-24-2015, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Originally Posted by ML63 AMG
Racingbrake makes the best 2-piece rotors by far. Their patented cooling vane design keeps the rotors significantly cooler and the super hard steel alloy they use ensure super long life on track. Get rid of your stock single piece rotors, they are junk. Stock calipers are fine, no need to upgrade.

Also, I upgraded to the RacingBrake stainless steel brake lines and they are a huge improvement. Also, get rid of the yellow stuff pads, they are gimic pads. Racingbrake makes their own matched set of track pads.

Also, stop using Motul, all the real pros use Castrol SRF. It is the #1 brake fluid in the world... Not even Motul comes close to its performance. Also when Motul is done... It's done for good. Castrol SRF can bounce back and take way more abuse. No other fluid behaves like this.

And finally, drastically reduce rotating mass, it is your greatest enemy on track. I did a mass reduction review when I removed over 90 lbs of unsprung rotating mass. Needless to say it felt like I took 500lbs out of the cars weight. (Also search for the threads I posted on the subject entitled "mass reduction" in the ML63 section.)

I have done tons of full reviews on these and more, just do a search for threads I have started.

Hope that helps
Cmon bro....save us some time and link it. I wanna reduce unsprung weight on a Range Rover Sport.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 PM

CLK63 BS
Forged one piece 18" rims, carbon ceramic rotors, billet aluminum calipers, composite leaf springs, carbon fiber half and drive shafts, aluminum control arms.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:09 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by NYC_Z06
Forged one piece 18" rims, carbon ceramic rotors, billet aluminum calipers, composite leaf springs, carbon fiber half and drive shafts, aluminum control arms.
This setup sounds nice. Curious how this setup would fair against a pot hole or similar... you know the one you couldn't avoid. LOL!
Old 06-28-2015, 03:29 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
Cmon bro....save us some time and link it. I wanna reduce unsprung weight on a Range Rover Sport.
As you wish lol

Link: https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-...Mass+reduction

I ended up dropping total of 90lbs of Unspring rotating mass on my ML63 . I am pretty sure that is an MBworld record. It genuinely feels like 500lbs was taken out of the car.

It's the best modification you can do on any car, especially SUVs bc they have so much unnecessary unsprung rotating mass (which is why they handle and ride so poorly). I embarrassed exotics at the track quite a bit ... IN AN SUV.

Last edited by ML63 AMG; 06-28-2015 at 03:31 AM.