CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Gettiing a new engine for CLK63 BS, but who owns usable parts of old one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Gettiing a new engine for CLK63 BS, but who owns usable parts of old one?

Hello,

I have a 2008 BS and a couple of weeks ago, the engine got hydrolocked. I have it under warranty with CarMax and the MB dealer is pretty confident that it should fall under the warranty and CarMax will have to replace it.

That's the context of my question about who owns any usable parts from the damaged engine. It seems to me that they should belong to me. I'm sure there's an aftermarket for them. I'd be happy to sell them to the MB dealer and let them deal with all the hassles of owning them, but it seems like I'm just giving them away if i don't raise the issue.

Any advice from the forum?
Old 09-10-2016, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Depends who does the warranty replacement and how. Most replacement engines have a core charge, even new from MB they can have a core. So if you don't turn the old engine back in it will be charged extra.

Whoever is doing the work/purchasing the parts can tell you if there's a core or not. If not, just tell them you want to pick up the old engine. They shouldn't complain. If it's hydrolocked there isn't much good left in it, the replacement will likely only be a longblock. You would get good heads/cams probably and some small ancillary parts but the rods are bent so the crank is questionable and the block is probably trash.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
+1 ^^^ Motor is yours if there is no core.

Keeping/Selling the motor also depends how much time and money someone wants to invest in going through the old block to rebuild it and ensure all the tolerances are met.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:56 PM

ML350
Thanks

Appreciate the input. BTW, the engine is supposedly the only one available in the world and will cost 55K. Sucks for CarMax but great for me!
Old 09-12-2016, 10:47 AM
PJK

CLK63BS
I don't think you own the motor, regardless of the core issue. The situation is not any different than when a car gets totaled. The insurance company is "buying" your motor (instead of cash, they are "buying" it in the sense that they are giving you a new motor). The insurance company has the right to resell your old motor for whatever it is worth.

Now whether the insurance company decides to do this is another question all together.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by dgsneller
Appreciate the input. BTW, the engine is supposedly the only one available in the world and will cost 55K. Sucks for CarMax but great for me!
I found this if you want to give them a call also.
http://www.dimerd.com/m156.html

Maybe you can pay separately for a couple extra mods to be included...
Old 09-13-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLK63 Black Series
Some warranties have a clause that states they will pay out till the maximum of the Black Book value of the vehicle. You may be close with the cost of the engine. I'd check your warranty plan just to be safe...

Originally Posted by dgsneller
Old 09-18-2016, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Never dealt with something like this before, but beware that this may be a long drawn out battle due to the cost of the engine.

These guys are in the business to make money and won't just cut you a check for that amount that easily...
Old 09-18-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CLKBS
Originally Posted by Viper98912
Never dealt with something like this before, but beware that this may be a long drawn out battle due to the cost of the engine.

These guys are in the business to make money and won't just cut you a check for that amount that easily...
Any update? Who will actually be replacing the engine?
Old 09-19-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
How do you hydrolock an engine and get it covered under a mechanical warranty?

The one possible scenario where car max would be responsible would be a coolant leak into cylinder heads.

How'd it happen? Most other hydrolock possibilities are gonna be comp claims on you.

Last edited by Mike450; 09-19-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:20 AM

ML350
Update

UPDATE:

It has been a drawn-out battle, as warned above.

The current issue is that there is supposedly a remanufactured engine available for $12K. I have asked the dealer to confirm the VIN is a Black Series VIN, rather than a 6.3L that might be able to fit into the vehicle. Not knowing much about the mechanics, I'm relying on the dealer to help me out. I know the BS engine is different from the C63 AMG of the same year, but I'm worried that Carmax could say that the engines are compatible enough that they can use a C63 AMG.

The hydrolock apparently occurred because a piece of a piston broke off and damaged some part of the engine. The dealer thinks it's a mechanical warranty issue. Carmax seems to agree (the dealer had to remove the entire engine in order to prove the point), now they are haggling on the replacement motor.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
Feel for ya. Hope this gets sorted out in your favor. Regarding the M156 in the BS, personally, I'd accept a later model (C63 BS and 507 version, etc.) if were available. I think they used stronger internals and may have also addressed the headbolt issue by then, maybe (you'll need to do some research).
Old 12-06-2016, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NYC_Z06
Feel for ya. Hope this gets sorted out in your favor. Regarding the M156 in the BS, personally, I'd accept a later model (C63 BS and 507 version, etc.) if were available. I think they used stronger internals and may have also addressed the headbolt issue by then, maybe (you'll need to do some research).
Yes, supposedly after 2011 the M156 headbolts were 'upgraded'...I think there is an engine number cut-off.

I vote you fight for an OEM engine that belongs in the car tho, why not get the original motor re-built?.Any further updates? I hope you make out good man.

CarMax? the blue and yellow place that has commercials on TV? Did you buy the car from them?
Old 12-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Mike450
How do you hydrolock an engine and get it covered under a mechanical warranty?

The one possible scenario where car max would be responsible would be a coolant leak into cylinder heads.

How'd it happen? Most other hydrolock possibilities are gonna be comp claims on you.
The engine probably hydro locked due to an injector sticking open I have seen this before.

@OP

If the engine comes from Mercedes and it's reman they are going to keep the engine. The core charge is probably as much as the engine. If carmax gets a used engine it will most likely go back to a junk yard as a core. You could ask to pay the core charge if you want it. If it's new then you could ask the dealer to give it to you. It's up to them really.