CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK63 Black...selling to Germany...what do I need to be aware of to not get scammed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
CLK63 Black...selling to Germany...what do I need to be aware of to not get scammed?

So, I have a gentleman in Berlin, Germany that is pushing to buy my CLK63 Black Series. He would like to PayPal a $1,000 deposit, with the remainder paid entirely by bank wire.

Now, I have never sold a car internationally, so I want to make sure I do this correctly and do not get scammed or lose a car (and the money). Yes, I am paranoid, but with everything I read about online about overseas money scams, I would rather be safe than sorry. What precautions (besides the obvious of not releasing the car until I see verified funds in my account) do I need to take if I accept his offer and do this deal?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CLK 63 AMG Black Series, A45 AMG
If the car stays with you until the payment is confirmed, I think the best thing is to ask you bank how to be sure bank wire can not be undo
Old 04-18-2017, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I would only do it if you were getting paid extra by a Nigerian prince.

Wires are fairly safe, if they're legit. You can't fake those as easily as you can with paper checks, etc.

Seriously though, you should ask him for a contact name at his local bank that will be sending the bank wire. Then you look up that bank's phone number on the internet and on the day of the incoming wire, go to your bank and have your bank agent call his bank agent to confirm the wire.

Also, talk to your bank agent and ask them what are the risks with international transfers (laws are different), and if there are any issues with potential reversals.

Once the money is cleared, take the money out of that account and put it in another account (at a different bank).

Then release the car to be picked up by the transport agency (that he chooses). Your transaction ends the second you hand the keys to the transport agency. Then it's all on him, regardless if the transport agency loses the car, the boat sinks, customs impounds the car, taxes/duties are levied for them to release the car, etc.

I've debated selling cars overseas before. First time was when a Japanese coworker told me my 5 year old C55 was worth $100k in Japan. Makes your eyes go
Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Most serious dealers that do international have a clearing account, that they use to send the money into and then transfer it out of. That way you aren't giving out your bank account info for an account you actually use.

Other than that, as mentioned above, a legit wire is fairly safe, have your bank confirm with his that it went through and there's not much risk at all after that point. He could always dispute the paypal but standard practice is to send the wire for the full amount, then refund the deposit anyway to avoid that chance.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
If you want you can contact a local dealer and let them broker the sale for you. They will charge you a small fee.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Originally Posted by Viper98912
I would only do it if you were getting paid extra by a Nigerian prince.

Wires are fairly safe, if they're legit. You can't fake those as easily as you can with paper checks, etc.

Seriously though, you should ask him for a contact name at his local bank that will be sending the bank
wire. Then you look up that bank's phone number on the internet and on the day of the incoming wire, go to your bank and have your bank agent call his bank agent to confirm the wire.

Also, talk to your bank agent and ask them what are the risks with international transfers (laws are different), and if there are any issues with potential reversals.

Once the money is cleared, take the money out of that account and put it in another account (at a different bank).

Then release the car to be picked up by the transport agency (that he chooses). Your transaction ends the second you hand the keys to the transport agency. Then it's all on him, regardless if the transport agency loses the car, the boat sinks, customs impounds the car, taxes/duties are levied for them to release the car, etc.

I've debated selling cars overseas before. First time was when a Japanese coworker told me my 5 year old C55 was worth $100k in Japan. Makes your eyes go
My neighbor recently sold a classic American muscle car to guy a Sweden in much the same way.

He is also a police officer that handles the departments local internet crimes unit, but even he was hesitant with the deal.

All worked out very well. Nearly a full year later, car cleared Swededen customs and was delivered.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
I suggest using an escrow agency to be a neutral third-party to transact the deal start to finish, similar to a real estate transaction. Try a google search for escrow companies that deal with international business. Hope that helps!
Old 04-20-2017, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Well, this morning the guy backed out and said he contracted to buy another car because he did not feel like waiting for me to agree to sign a sales contract for my car (I had advised him that I had one other interested party who was having the car inspected, and would be making their final decision today....which he said he was okay with when I told him about it yesterday). So I am not sure if the buyer was just impatient, or not a legitimate buyer. Either way, back to square one again. I have never had so much trouble from "buyers" of a car. Ever. Not even when I was selling a Ferrari years ago to an admittedly overly **** crowd of Ferrari nuts.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I mean, I'd give ya 45 for it?

We all know, patience, the right buyer will come along.