Clear Bra? Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS550 Launch Edition
Exclamation Clear Bra? Yes or no?

I am getting Formula One Pinnacle tint on my Launch edition in the morning and I am unsure as to if I should get the clear bra too. Will it stand out? The car is steel grey. Is it worth it? Does it wear well or does it look bad after a couple of years?

Please let me know ASAP. My appointment is in 12 hours. Nothing like waiting to the last minute.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by TexanBuckeye
I am getting Formula One Pinnacle tint on my Launch edition in the morning and I am unsure as to if I should get the clear bra too. Will it stand out? The car is steel grey. Is it worth it? Does it wear well or does it look bad after a couple of years?

Please let me know ASAP. My appointment is in 12 hours. Nothing like waiting to the last minute.

Thanks.
I personally haven't had a clear bra on my car but my brother has it on all his cars. He swears by them. There is a line that is visible (barely though) where the bra ends on the hood. Have a look at other cars at the place where the bra will be put on to see if you can live with it. He did have one instance where the bra got damaged and rain water got underneath it and things started to rust because the bra prevented the water from evaporating. That is a very unusual situation but it can happen. Hope my ramblings can help you make a decision.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I went with the clear bra as well. I hope the line on the hood isn't too bad.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 PM

11 E550, 05 NSX, 12 QX56, 93 Z32 TT, 12 CLS550
I had mine on the very first day. It is a must in my book.
Key is to have an excellent installer.
Mine bra is invisible, since I did not do the mid hood. Either go full on hood or non.
Best $$ spent.
Post pics.
GL
Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 PM

2012 CLS550 4Matic
I've used a clear bra on the last four cars I've purchased. Up here in the northeast, it is a 'must have' to survive the winter months (flying sand, salt & pothole debris). BTW- The darker the paint color, the more it might show... but that also depends on the expertise of the installer. And if properly maintained (nothing more than regular vehicle wash & wax), there should be no problem to speak of.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 PM

2007 Jeep SRT-8
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
I personally haven't had a clear bra on my car but my brother has it on all his cars. He swears by them. There is a line that is visible (barely though) where the bra ends on the hood. Have a look at other cars at the place where the bra will be put on to see if you can live with it. He did have one instance where the bra got damaged and rain water got underneath it and things started to rust because the bra prevented the water from evaporating. That is a very unusual situation but it can happen. Hope my ramblings can help you make a decision.
In ten years of installing paint protection film I have never heard of water getting beneath the film. It simply doesnt happen. It is very possible that what he had in that case was clear vinyl. paint protection film will seal the surface preventing water from reaching the paint.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 AM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile
In ten years of installing paint protection film I have never heard of water getting beneath the film. It simply doesnt happen. It is very possible that what he had in that case was clear vinyl. paint protection film will seal the surface preventing water from reaching the paint.
I have to ask him what happened exactly. If memory serves me the bra got damaged and was torn and water got trapped under there. But yes it was clear vinyl that he had on the car. The dealer ended up peeling the vinyl off, repairing the damage and putting a new bra on the car.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 PM

2014 ML350 Bluetec,2012 C300 4matic sport
I would invest in the clear bra. Have had it installed on my last two cars and well worth it. Bugs no longer bother me as they seem tow ash off easier. Stone chips are no longer an issue either. Helps the resale as well since the front of the care looks show room new.

Mark
Old 02-25-2012, 10:06 PM

get the clear bra. I have it on my current ML350 and plan on getting it on my CLS that I am getting In the spring. Bugs no longer bug me and the protection from stone chips is worth the cost. Luckly There is an extremely competent installer and he does a great job. have not experienced any issues
Old 02-25-2012, 11:27 PM

Thanks everyone. I went with first third of hood and fenders, headlights, bumpers, mirrors and a frame. I'm happy with it. Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
Luckily I have never had to install a car condom on my vehicles. And luckily no real issues with stone chips or pitting.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by dbtk
Luckily I have never had to install a car condom on my vehicles. And luckily no real issues with stone chips or pitting.
You are luckly. Living in the North East, Upstate NY, between horrible gritty roads and the salt and sand used to keep the road free if ice in the winter a clear bra is a must. I envy those like your self who live where the roads are free of grit and grime.

A friend of mine had an oncoming salt truck spray his vehicle with rock salt. What a mess it made of his drivers side. Worse that any stone chips I have ever seen.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 PM

2007 Jeep SRT-8
Originally Posted by dbtk
A car condom is a really simplistic way of looking at it. But no matter where you live if you drive youre car over 35-40mph you will get chips.