right front speaker buzz (harmon kardon 2012 amg)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 cls 63 amg
right front speaker buzz (harmon kardon 2012 amg)

Hi everyone,
This is my first new thread post at this forum. The 2012 CLS 63 is my first benz.

Buzz in my right front speaker when the right front seat is empty. The dealer didn't even try to hear the buzz or duplicate it. They just threw a new woofer at it that they had to order, so they kept my car over night. On my drive home after service, the buzz was still there. I returned to the dealer duplicated the problem for the shop foreman. He told me to sit in the back seat and see if the driver side buzzed too without anyone sitting in the seat. It did. So, he decided that this buzz is just normal. Ridiculous. So, the most expensive car that I have ever purchases apparently has defects that the cheapest car I've ever purchased didn't have. I complained to the MB complaints department and the factory representitive is supposed to be at the dealership for my appt this weds.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Ugh, sounds like time for a new dealer.

The speaker grills on the dashboard do pop right out with a wedge. You can try putting some felt to reduce the buzzing. Not sure about the door mounted ones.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 PM

11 E550, 05 NSX, 12 QX56, 93 Z32 TT, 12 CLS550
I know the feeling when paying premium and felt like you got anything but...
Try adjusting the settings.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:31 AM

2018 GLE63S Coupe , 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2000 TRD PreRunner (heavily modded)
Mine rattled in some areas at first too while playing music. Now after a few months it's set itself in. I stretched and set a few compartments in myself with heat and cold. Front driver side door sail, rear passenger door arm rest, and front passenger door panel. It was nearly in-audible to everyone but myself.

After a certain level the bass adjustments juices up the sub and the door level stay the same it seems. So depending where exactly the rattle is coming from,( I thought the sail rattle was the dash, then the dash venting)IMHO adjustments will only mask it for so long.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:35 PM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
I noticed this the first day I took delivery. It was with a song that had a lot of bass. Since then I actually forgot about it, so it seams to have rectified itself. I only have the car 4 days now, so I will test it again w/ some heavy bass
Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM

2012 cls 63 amg
Both of my front door speakers cause something in the door to buzz with base. They "fixed" the passenger side at my last service appointment. It is better, but there is still some buzz. Now, the drivers door has worse buzz than the passenger door had. I guess I'll have to make another appointment. I don't really want to mess with it myself b/c I'd probably break a clip snapped part of some sort. The worst part is that the shop foreman claims he can't hear it even when I made an iPhone video showing me pressing on parts of the door and the buzz coming and going with pressure. Ugh.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:16 AM

2018 GLE63S Coupe , 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2000 TRD PreRunner (heavily modded)
Originally Posted by Dub-ya
Both of my front door speakers cause something in the door to buzz with base. They "fixed" the passenger side at my last service appointment. It is better, but there is still some buzz. Now, the drivers door has worse buzz than the passenger door had. I guess I'll have to make another appointment. I don't really want to mess with it myself b/c I'd probably break a clip snapped part of some sort. The worst part is that the shop foreman claims he can't hear it even when I made an iPhone video showing me pressing on parts of the door and the buzz coming and going with pressure. Ugh.
IMO...I don't think you'd be able to hear a harmonic vibration on a cell phone video. It could be misconstrued as microphone distortion, especially if music is playing. The iPhone and cell phones in general do not take good audio sourced video on top of that. What is your Audio settings? Do you have the audio boost on? I can turn the bass setting up to 8 with nary a rattle.

I have to try to make it rattle now and juice it up very loud only if it's in Aux which is a poorer source at that. Or if someone gets the bright idea to play dub step and scare the hell out of me while I'm driving. The system is ridiculously clean... It just needs more sub bass. It be nice to have more flexibility to adjust the equalizer points or sub level.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 PM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
I cranked it up today and it seems after the first day I had the car, it settled in and went away.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:09 PM

Currently Own: `12 CLS550 4Matic & `12 GL450 Previously owned: `10 E350 4Matic & `10 ML350 4Matic
I just took delivery on my new CLS550 about 3 weeks ago....noticed the same buzz coming from the passenger side when high bass songs were playing. Thought it was a speaker blown but after further investigation, traced it down to the wood paneling on the front passenger door. If you hold down the wood, the buzz goes away. I plan on taking back to dealer to fix.....and $85K car should not have any buzzes, creaks, etx...IMO
Old 03-18-2013, 05:24 PM

CLS 550 4-MATIC
Damn, I have the same problem. 2012 cls 550 4matic. after purchasing the car and driving for the 1st time, it was very noticable and I brought it back to the dealership for a repair. Apparently they used felt tape on the front passenger door panel (lower) below the handrail. no problems for a few months, but now the sound is back. Low bass voices seem to be the worst, as the buzz happens pretty predictably. I am super disappointed in MB quality and hope I can ultimately get a satisfactory fix. Probably never venture into MB product again. Better off with Audi I think. Sadly.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 PM

2012 cls 63 amg
My MB experience has been horrible. The speaker buzzing is just the tip of the iceberg with my car. I was told the buzzing is normal. I was told they can't hear it. It has been serviced about 7 times for the buzzing. The last time, they used a decibel meter to document that the buzzing is within spec. Seriously.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:20 PM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Originally Posted by Dub-ya
My MB experience has been horrible. The speaker buzzing is just the tip of the iceberg with my car. I was told the buzzing is normal. I was told they can't hear it. It has been serviced about 7 times for the buzzing. The last time, they used a decibel meter to document that the buzzing is within spec. Seriously.
Strange, becasue my buzzing went away after the first week of ownership. The fact that you brought it in 7 times for servicing, is really nuts! Do yourself and favor and buy some aftermarket speakers. Let principal and all that go. It's a small price to pay, to enjoy such a great car! You are losing focus and should enjoy the full potential of the AMG performance!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2012 CLS 63, 2013 Gallardo LP550
Mine had it too. Found the buzz to be inside the door pocket, up towards the rear and the top where the pocket and the panel butt together to one another. If I pressed the panel the buzz went away. Just folded up some felt tape and pushed it up between the gap with a screwdriver to fill the space. Buzz is gone. Hopefully others have the same simple fix.