Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
CLS 550 vs Audi S 7

so im looking into both of these,

usually it would have been a no brainer and go mercs but the audi intrigues me

price., power, amenaties are essentially the same...

what do you all think
Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 AM
cda

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG CLS53
The rock hard dashboard of the A7 killed it for me
Old 07-02-2012, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

rockhard dash? its not a pillow
Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLE63S Coupe , 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2000 TRD PreRunner (heavily modded)
I test drove the A7 extensively after test driving the CLS. It was between the CLS, XF SuperCharged,'12 550i and A7 (which was all that was available at the time) for me. You're talking S7, so I won't go into detail the engine which is just inadequate if you're looking for power. I can go into more detail there but that's not the engine being looked at.
If you need all wheel drive it has a one up there, it drives well for such a nose heavy beast like most of the Quattros (don't need awd here). It does push in the corners somewhat but not much, but does drive small for its size. Might be different as its a different model.

The back seat was uncomfortable in general, felt very hard and VW Passat like, but with my seat adjusted to driving position, driver side rear seating was almost unusable(I'm 6'2 and I do not ride in an unusual driving position). My GF is 5'4 and had difficulty sitting behind me. Not so in the CLS. The hatch if I remember correctly got in my way a bit reaching in, I had to duck awkwardly for access which kills the accessibility factor for me even though the space can be amplified by dropping the rear seats. There was a rattle somewhere from the hatch area that I heard while driving which the salesman noticed as well.
Further on build quality, I have a pet peeve with loose, rattley buttons, luckily everything was rather solid. The Bang & Olufsen sound system was impressive, high and mids were clear and defined, bass was crisp and pronounced. Bass response had head way on the HK system on the CLS across the board. The MMI interface was decent to navigate, the GUI was somewhat more whizz bang, and the google maps was nice but rather gimicky to me. You needed a subscription to take full advantage of the system that the dealer did not have on the test drive, but I was able to try it on another demo, not that impressive. Matte wood was a nice option but, the interior quality didn't seem as good as say a A6 C6 or C5 vintage even, to me. Some surfaces were hard cheap plastic and not pleasant feeling, on the plus side everything was ergonomic.
CLS seemed to have a better build that the A7 in general. It felt like more car, the body panels seemed more substantial. The seats were more comfortable all around, and the interior felt more richly appointed. I liked that the CLS had a non electronic parking brake, as that's something I use daily and felt better using. And the new TT engine was lovely.
The A7 I tested was optioned out near to the CLS, and came up to 81k... With a S/C V6... and still would have needed a few more options to equal up. If you have specific questions, I can try and answer them from my experience with the normal A7.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

good points, ill drive one soon i hope, atleast an a7 just to get an idea, before the s comes out

so you think the v6 sc is way underpowered for this car?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:13 PM
cda

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG CLS53
Originally Posted by vdubpower
rockhard dash? its not a pillow
it's not leather either
Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 PM

2012 MB CLS 550
Originally Posted by Dabigkaluna
I test drove the A7 extensively after test driving the CLS. It was between the CLS, XF SuperCharged,'12 550i and A7 (which was all that was available at the time) for me. You're talking S7, so I won't go into detail the engine which is just inadequate if you're looking for power. I can go into more detail there but that's not the engine being looked at.
If you need all wheel drive it has a one up there, it drives well for such a nose heavy beast like most of the Quattros (don't need awd here). It does push in the corners somewhat but not much, but does drive small for its size. Might be different as its a different model.

The back seat was uncomfortable in general, felt very hard and VW Passat like, but with my seat adjusted to driving position, driver side rear seating was almost unusable(I'm 6'2 and I do not ride in an unusual driving position). My GF is 5'4 and had difficulty sitting behind me. Not so in the CLS. The hatch if I remember correctly got in my way a bit reaching in, I had to duck awkwardly for access which kills the accessibility factor for me even though the space can be amplified by dropping the rear seats. There was a rattle somewhere from the hatch area that I heard while driving which the salesman noticed as well.
Further on build quality, I have a pet peeve with loose, rattley buttons, luckily everything was rather solid. The Bang & Olufsen sound system was impressive, high and mids were clear and defined, bass was crisp and pronounced. Bass response had head way on the HK system on the CLS across the board. The MMI interface was decent to navigate, the GUI was somewhat more whizz bang, and the google maps was nice but rather gimicky to me. You needed a subscription to take full advantage of the system that the dealer did not have on the test drive, but I was able to try it on another demo, not that impressive. Matte wood was a nice option but, the interior quality didn't seem as good as say a A6 C6 or C5 vintage even, to me. Some surfaces were hard cheap plastic and not pleasant feeling, on the plus side everything was ergonomic.
CLS seemed to have a better build that the A7 in general. It felt like more car, the body panels seemed more substantial. The seats were more comfortable all around, and the interior felt more richly appointed. I liked that the CLS had a non electronic parking brake, as that's something I use daily and felt better using. And the new TT engine was lovely.
The A7 I tested was optioned out near to the CLS, and came up to 81k... With a S/C V6... and still would have needed a few more options to equal up. If you have specific questions, I can try and answer them from my experience with the normal A7.

+1, I did the same thing and came to the same conclusion. Throw in awful residual values and that the same size 20" tires all around look to narrow and I was done, along with alll the aforemnetioned reasons above.

Lou
Old 07-02-2012, 02:15 PM

2012 MB CLS 550
good points, ill drive one soon i hope, atleast an a7 just to get an idea, before the s comes out

I can answer that as I drove one extensively. I dont know where the mags are getting their numbers (could be a ringer car) but the car is slow imo and the steering WAY overboosted. Audi's just dont look as nice either imo, always remind me of a VW
Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 CLS550 4Matic
Before I purchased my CLS, I was more in the market for an S5... drove that as well as an A7. My initial reaction was I simply don't care for the Audi dash... don't care about all the awards and accolades, I'm just not a fan.

One review that helped sway my purchase was the video that follows (A7 vs CLS vs XJ): CLICK HERE
Here, they too note the Audi dash (not in a good way) and select the CLS as the overall winner.

BTW- In some cases, the S5 engine felt like a dog... it had me confused. And I have been to a dyno event with an S5 and my CLS... overall, I was very pleased with my choice.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:41 PM

2018 GLE63S Coupe , 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2000 TRD PreRunner (heavily modded)

I would say, depends on what you're looking for. My initial stipulations for a new vehicle was RWD, 4DR, V8, luxury marquee. To me yes it did feel under powered. Not grossly so but the torque is just not there. Is it powerful? no, easy answer for me. quick? maybe on the top end, it moves the car just not with the authority of something you just spent 80k on. When the salesman asked how it felt I answered him honestly. "Similar to every other blown 6 I've driven, it doesn't have the grunt of an 8". He tried more sales pitches but I told him that I have a S/C Tacoma I built from the ground up, it has more grunt than the A7 did. Another thing i weighed was the MPG. Now it really didn't matter, as long as I didn't have fork over the gas guzzler tax. But I figured mpg on the Audi may be higher on the sticker, but I'm getting around 26 on my CLS. I think I'd get less with the A7 because I'd be harder into the pedal more often.

I also have to comment on the steering. I concur. Over boosted and numb. Road feeling is not communicated through the steering wheel much at all, I usually take cars for a test drive around a certain off ramp near the airport that communicates feedback well, but it was lacking in this one. That's my .02.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i just drove one a few hours ago, prestige model, 20 inch rims, pretty loaded.

very quiet, too quiet for one who is used to a v8.
the car moves, well enough for every day use, but it does seem it needs a kick in the pants to do so. by no means is it slow, but a 6 sure isnt an 8 no matter what, enless its a gtr or 911.

the inside was nice, i like the layer oak natural feel, kinda cool, otherwise nothing extroadinary.

i dont like the driver select settings, seems wierd, ( i dont like them in most cars. buts thats the way of the future). comfort was really light, dynamic was bettter, but keeps the car in S mode, so gas milage will go down. No paddle shifters?????? ( even if we never use them, they should be there )
the driver modes didnt even touch the suspension, just steering, throttle response, and wtf, belt tensioner,....come on now, belt tensioner

dealer said they are only getting 3 S7s, in stock, im like what is this, an aventador....this is a big dealer in OC cali,
If i find one later in the yr, ill give it a go, give it the benefit of doubt....
Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
If you're at that price range and looking at Audi A7/S7, then why not A8? A great V8 in an all aluminum body, with an interior IMHO second to none in luxury, style and materials used (at least for cars with MSRP of under $100K if not more). Yes, its overall exterior is a bit boring/conservative (but with in your face grille) compared to CLS & A7/S7, but in $80-90K well equipped range, IMHO it stands by itself. An ideal car for me would be S7/A8 hybrit - S7 exterior with A8 interior.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

in laws, have a a8L, granted a 2011 with the NA v8, boring as heck that car is, our s550 has so much more personality.
i hate how you have to go into mmi just to do anything, its even more involved than the mercs ( non are good)...

the car has no pickup, no driving personality, ehh.. granted new v8 tt might be better...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LSM777
+1, I did the same thing and came to the same conclusion. Throw in awful residual values and that the same size 20" tires all around look to narrow and I was done, along with alll the aforemnetioned reasons above.

Lou
the 20s on the a7 i tested were 265 35's not too shabby, bigger than my e63 wheels/tires in front
Old 07-03-2012, 05:07 PM

2012 MB CLS 550
i just drove one a few hours ago, prestige model, 20 inch rims, pretty loaded.

very quiet, too quiet for one who is used to a v8.
the car moves, well enough for every day use, but it does seem it needs a kick in the pants to do so. by no means is it slow, but a 6 sure isnt an 8 no matter what, enless its a gtr or 911.

the inside was nice, i like the layer oak natural feel, kinda cool, otherwise nothing extroadinary.

i dont like the driver select settings, seems wierd, ( i dont like them in most cars. buts thats the way of the future). comfort was really light, dynamic was bettter, but keeps the car in S mode, so gas milage will go down. No paddle shifters?????? ( even if we never use them, they should be there )
the driver modes didnt even touch the suspension, just steering, throttle response, and wtf, belt tensioner,....come on now, belt tensioner

dealer said they are only getting 3 S7s, in stock, im like what is this, an aventador....this is a big dealer in OC cali,
If i find one later in the yr, ill give it a go, give it the benefit of doubt....

I know the GM of an Audi Dealer in North County if you want an S7, you can have it by December.

Lou
Old 07-03-2012, 05:09 PM

2012 MB CLS 550
the 20s on the a7 i tested were 265 35's not too shabby, bigger than my e63 wheels/tires in front
I mean they are same size all around and look narrow on the car. I dont know why, they just do.

As a side note which may explain the overboosted steering and sloppy handling- remember this car started life as a front wheel drive car just as all audi's are and add quattro
Old 07-03-2012, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well its a Quattro, hence the same size at all four corners. Of course the same will apply to CLS550 4matic as well, when it will become available (with "only" 255 series tires). One can always staggere (carefully) both Quattro and 4matic, if desired.

BTW, A7/S7 can be fitted with 275/35-20 and even 285/30-21 (yes, 21") at all four corners. We're talking about some serious rubber at all four corners. This will firm up the steering feel and the corners' handling will be improved as well.

Last edited by threeMBs; 07-03-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:07 AM

2012 MB CLS 550
Originally Posted by threeMBs
Well its a Quattro, hence the same size at all four corners. Of course the same will apply to CLS550 4matic as well, when it will become available (with "only" 255 series tires). One can always staggere (carefully) both Quattro and 4matic, if desired.

BTW, A7/S7 can be fitted with 275/35-20 and even 285/30-21 (yes, 21") at all four corners. We're talking about some serious rubber at all four corners. This will firm up the steering feel and the corners' handling will be improved as well.
I dont follow, my 997TT was AWD and the rears were 305 vs fronts of 235. The 3 series xdrive has optional 19's and theyre staggered, so has nothing to do with awd, I think it has more to do with Audi starting life as a FWD car.

I did love the Audi's fold down rear seat and hatch makes for some great storage space etc. Dont get me wrong the car is very nice, I just thought it lacked power, I didnt like how the wheels looked (can be changed obviously) steering is way overboosted, and handling is sloppy

Last edited by LSM777; 07-04-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

id have to drive the s7 before anything goes down, actually my dad will, the car will be for him....ive got my amg to deal with, aslong as my wife isnt driving it.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LSM777
I dont follow, my 997TT was AWD and the rears were 305 vs fronts of 235. The 3 series xdrive has optional 19's and theyre staggered, so has nothing to do with awd, I think it has more to do with Audi starting life as a FWD car.

I did love the Audi's fold down rear seat and hatch makes for some great storage space etc. Dont get me wrong the car is very nice, I just thought it lacked power, I didnt like how the wheels looked (can be changed obviously) steering is way overboosted, and handling is sloppy
Well, my comments were addressed to Audi's Quattro and MB's 4matic specifically, not AWD in general. I know Porsche' and several other mid-engined and rear-engined AWD cars use staggered factory setup. Even Audi's own R8 uses staggered factory set up. In Mercedes' lineup all 4matic cars (except C-class, go figure) use non-staggered setups with relatively thin tires.

I completely agree with your A7 performance/handling assesment, however OP wanted S7 which is a completely different animal altogether (not in AMG league of course - they have RS line for that). I just pointed out that A7/S7 can be fitted with very wide rubber at all four corners, that no MB (non-SUV) car can. S7 will take care of the engine and suspensions shortcomings of A7, while aftermarket wide(er) wheel/tire upgrade will benefit both A7 & S7 even more.

However, my main "beef" with A7/S7 line is IMHO its inferior interior (I know I'm in a great minority on the subject) design/execution for the price that they want for them. I mean top of the line "Prestige" A7's MSRP is above previous A8 swb when not loaded (previous A8, which I had, had a much nicer interior) and is almost at the price of nicely equipped current A8 (which as I stated in an above post, IMHO, has the reachest and at the same time the most driver oriented interior of any car with MSRP under $100K or maybe even above).
Old 07-04-2012, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Besides the plastic dash what else bugs u about the interior

The starter button. Being on. Passenger side is retarded
Old 07-04-2012, 02:44 PM

2012 MB CLS 550
Well, my comments were addressed to Audi's Quattro and MB's 4matic specifically, not AWD in general. I know Porsche' and several other mid-engined and rear-engined AWD cars use staggered factory setup. Even Audi's own R8 uses staggered factory set up. In Mercedes' lineup all 4matic cars (except C-class, go figure) use non-staggered setups with relatively thin tires.

I completely agree with your A7 performance/handling assesment, however OP wanted S7 which is a completely different animal altogether (not in AMG league of course - they have RS line for that). I just pointed out that A7/S7 can be fitted with very wide rubber at all four corners, that no MB (non-SUV) car can. S7 will take care of the engine and suspensions shortcomings of A7, while aftermarket wide(er) wheel/tire upgrade will benefit both A7 & S7 even more.

However, my main "beef" with A7/S7 line is IMHO its inferior interior (I know I'm in a great minority on the subject) design/execution for the price that they want for them. I mean top of the line "Prestige" A7's MSRP is above previous A8 swb when not loaded (previous A8, which I had, had a much nicer interior) and is almost at the price of nicely equipped current A8 (which as I stated in an above post, IMHO, has the reachest and at the same time the most driver oriented interior of any car with MSRP under $100K or maybe even above).

Got it, I didnt realize that all mb w/4matic also had all same size tires. I knew about the R8 as its based on the Gallardo whch has a staggered setup. and I concur with all your assessments on most topics. And to me the S7 commands such a premium over an S6 which is a little crazy and yea the regular A7 is expensive. Off topic a little, but what I cant figure out is why the hell the 650GC is so expensive. I built one was 95,555 + destination. I mean thats more than an M5, but id rather have the 650GC

Lou
Old 07-04-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CLS550 4MATIC

I have a 4MATIC CLS550, and it comes standard with a staggered setup (255 in the front, 285 in the rear).
Old 07-04-2012, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting. Well all MB cars/sedans, prior to 2012 CLS, that had 4matic system: W220 and W221 S-class; C216 CL-class; W210, W211 and current W212 E-class have non-staggered wheels at all four corners. W203 (not sure about current W204) C-class was the only one using staggered. That's of course untill as you mentioned 2012 CLS 4matic.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why should it matter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLS 550 vs Audi S 7