Power Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CLS550
Power Folding Mirrors

Okay so before ordering my 2013 CLS550 I read the manual of a 2012 one I downloaded from MBUSA's web site and it talks about power folding mirrors. When I got my car it didn't have the button! I look a the 2013 manual and now they say that this future is only available in Canada!!! This is a bit nuts for a car in this category. Even a Ford Explorer I rented had them!

So I park in downtown areas and tight spots and was always folding the mirrors in my BMWs. Anybody knows how easy it is to convert the mirrors to power? Has anybody done it or would the dealer know?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS550 my2012
I live in Canada, and i have a button on the mirrors that allowed you to fold it in manually. I read the manual which said that there was an option that would allow you to fold it in automatically. Perhaps you have a button where your mirror adjust is.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 AM

2013 CLS550
Originally Posted by akeni
I live in Canada, and i have a button on the mirrors that allowed you to fold it in manually. I read the manual which said that there was an option that would allow you to fold it in automatically. Perhaps you have a button where your mirror adjust is.
Yes, that space is blank for the US market. According to the manual it is only available in the Canadian market.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 132 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Each country's marketing dept decides what equipment is standard on their cars and also what equipment will be offered. Canadian cars have a much higher level of standard equipment to try to fool the population on our higher cost, as if we are too stupid to price in the options. The Canadian dollar is now worth 2.5% premium over the US currency and we pay approximately 6% more for an equally equipped vehicle.

That is why we bend over before taking delivery of a new MB and to make matters worse, most of us have never been kissed.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 AM

2013 CLS550
Originally Posted by petee1997
Each country's marketing dept decides what equipment is standard on their cars and also what equipment will be offered. Canadian cars have a much higher level of standard equipment to try to fool the population on our higher cost, as if we are too stupid to price in the options. The Canadian dollar is now worth 2.5% premium over the US currency and we pay approximately 6% more for an equally equipped vehicle.

That is why we bend over before taking delivery of a new MB and to make matters worse, most of us have never been kissed.
People keep comparing currency exchange rates but this is not exactly how it works. 7 years ago a Canadian dollar was only 0.7 of a US Dollar. Now they are about the same. Does this mean that the salaries in the US increased by 30%? Not really. Would it be possible for car companies to just increase prices based on exchange rates and compete in a market? Absolutely not.

So whenever anybody looks at exchange rates they also need to look at historical currency factors and the value of a market. In other words in the US a dollar is a dollar no matter how many Canadian ones you buy as in Canada a Canadian dollar is a dollar. Salaries and the perceived value within a country do not change based on exchange rates.

Multinational companies are not affected that much from currency fluctuations - there are ways to avoid their effects up to an extend.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:47 AM

2013 CLS 550
Not even an option

I was also very disappointed that the car was not equipped with folding mirrors as standard equipment. I did not see it offered as on option when I built the car so it led me to believe it would be standard. Then when I took delivery of the car I ordered... I figured I missed the option and screwed up... but NO, MBUSA thinks we shouldn't even have it as an option... WTF?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 AM

2013 CLS550
Originally Posted by Turbo3Six
I was also very disappointed that the car was not equipped with folding mirrors as standard equipment. I did not see it offered as on option when I built the car so it led me to believe it would be standard. Then when I took delivery of the car I ordered... I figured I missed the option and screwed up... but NO, MBUSA thinks we shouldn't even have it as an option... WTF?
I know - I thought the same! Especially because the manual I saw for 2012 did not mention "only available in Canada" as the 2013 manual does! Has anybody asked their dealer if there is anyway to retrofit? Personally I really need them where I park and planning to find out after my car gets here.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:10 PM

2013 CLS 550
Retrofit?

I wonder if the motor/gear mechanism is built into the non-folding US mirrors? I would guess not, as it would be an expense/savings thing.
You would likely have to source some Canadian mirrors and door switch componentry to retrofit a US car. The wiring harness is likely to be the same up to the mirror and within the door and back to power source... but how is it fused? Separately or with another component, you'll need to check the fuse block. Of course it can be done... but how much hassle/expense?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 PM

2013 CLS550
Originally Posted by Turbo3Six
I wonder if the motor/gear mechanism is built into the non-folding US mirrors? I would guess not, as it would be an expense/savings thing.
You would likely have to source some Canadian mirrors and door switch componentry to retrofit a US car. The wiring harness is likely to be the same up to the mirror and within the door and back to power source... but how is it fused? Separately or with another component, you'll need to check the fuse block. Of course it can be done... but how much hassle/expense?
I will try to find out when my car gets here - starting with asking the dealer! I just wasn't sure if anybody has already tried or asked. I am afraid that also different software maybe needed that doesn't exist for the US market but I hope I am wrong.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 132 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by Stavs
People keep comparing currency exchange rates but this is not exactly how it works. 7 years ago a Canadian dollar was only 0.7 of a US Dollar. Now they are about the same. Does this mean that the salaries in the US increased by 30%? Not really. Would it be possible for car companies to just increase prices based on exchange rates and compete in a market? Absolutely not.

So whenever anybody looks at exchange rates they also need to look at historical currency factors and the value of a market. In other words in the US a dollar is a dollar no matter how many Canadian ones you buy as in Canada a Canadian dollar is a dollar. Salaries and the perceived value within a country do not change based on exchange rates.

Multinational companies are not affected that much from currency fluctuations - there are ways to avoid their effects up to an extend.
Since the cars I am comparing are built in Germany and currencies are hedged to their end markets, we should buy the car at a similar price to the US. Your argument makes no sense.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
I've never had 'em so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.......
Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM

2013 CLS550
Originally Posted by petee1997
Since the cars I am comparing are built in Germany and currencies are hedged to their end markets, we should buy the car at a similar price to the US. Your argument makes no sense.
What doesn't make sense? That if Euro goes down 15% (which it has in just months) that prices of German cars in the US go down 15% too? Or the opposite if there is an increase. Manufacturers no matter where they are they down go digging outside their factory to get the metals and parts they use. Sourcing is global. So study a bit about how the glabal economy works and then it will make sense. Looking at daily exchange rates makes absolutely no sense - except if you plan to go on vacation.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS550 my2012
For such a up-scale car, they better have folding mirrors included. I complained to my dealer about how they don't fold in automatically when a c-class does. Especially how the manual even states it. On the Mercedes website, our car is supposed to have eco start/stop too but it isn't included. I believe if you push your dealer harder, he will probably get a technician to implement it for you. Or you can try writing a letter to the mercedes department head and file a complaint about how even average japanese cars have this option and the cls doesn't.
The following users liked this post:
cobra357 (02-20-2023)