Things to know before buying?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 E350
Things to know before buying?

i have a ‘14 E350 and have been very happy. I’m doing some research for a family member on a ‘14 CLS 550. It has the air suspension and is well optioned. What are the common issues with these cars? What are the best things and not so best things.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 CLS550, 1994 Chevy K1500
Haven’t had any problems with my 2012, but I bought it with such low mileage that it’s barely broken in.

Best things:

Engine
Engine
Engine....yeah, there’s other good stuff, but the engine occupies at least the top 3 places, and that’s without a tune.
Decent ride in comfort mode, option to stiffen it up in sport mode, with solid handling.
I find the seats comfortable, and love the multi-contour seat.
Enough buttons to run music and climate controls without menu-diving
4Matic works well in bad weather, if you need that. I’m in MN, I need that. Also need the suspension lift.
Surprisingly useful back seats.

Not so best things:

A little tight entry and exit. No problem, unless my back is acting up. It’s the price of style.
Multi-contour seat option is driver-side only, a little chintzy for an $80,000 car.
Instrument cluster light dimmer should be a knob on the dash, not in a menu.
Only two rear seats, and they should be heated/cooled. Granted, they probably aren’t used much.
More road noise than S-class, but that allows the engine note in...see Best things above.
Screen a bit small on nav, but I like the look of the integrated screen vs. the later large screen. That’s just me, though.
Get the nav updated. At least it vastly improved the 2012 version.
You can’t down load music to hard drive from phone/card, just CD’s. Audis can, why can’t Mercedes?

That’s a starter list. I really love the car, and my “not so best” list is really nit-picking. Just some things to think about on the test drive.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Stens; 10-15-2017 at 04:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
baybombers (10-15-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 06:05 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
cls550 2014
Stens pretty much nailed it. He's spot on. We have the 19" wheels that look great, but that 35 profile tires seems asking for wheel and tire damages to me. I shudder every time I hit a pot hole. I've done one B service to mine, pretty straight forward to change cabin and air filter, oil change easy. took 45 minutes though to figure out how to reset service indicator. (2014) seems to me the magic missing step was start car, turn off car and then follow the instructions posted else where that all assume you use a key to start car, but we have keyless.
The following users liked this post:
baybombers (10-18-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320, 2010 E350 Sedan, 2009 E350 Wagon, 2014 E350 Coupe, 2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Stens
Haven’t had any problems with my 2012, but I bought it with such low mileage that it’s barely broken in
Hi Stens! How many miles are on yours? Looking to get one with 30,000 miles on it... Carfax says it was well maintained, just worried about reliability. I have always had E350s and they’re rock solid. Never even considered an extended warranty. Think it may be a good idea?
Old 11-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 CLS550, 1994 Chevy K1500
A 30,000 mile 2012 CLS with good maintenance and passed pre-purchase inspection sure sounds good. That was actually my target car when I was looking, before I located the one I bought at a dealership 200 miles away. Mine only has about 12,500 miles on it, currently. I bought it almost exactly 1 year ago. At that time it had 2961 miles on it, and had been in service for 5 years. No problems for me, but at this low mileage, I don’t think that’s very relevant. For a 5-6 year old car, 30,000 miles would be pretty low miles; that’s only 5-6,000 miles/year. Most here seem pretty happy regarding reliability, but, inevitably, there are problems with some vehicles.

Regarding warranties, there’s a whole subforum here on those, both M-B on other. Commenters there have thought this stuff through. Mine was certified, so had 1 year, and I did get the 2 extra years. I can afford the maintenance, and I can cover mechanical disasters (yes, I’ve paid to re-engine an A6, long story), so maybe not my greatest financial decision...unless I need a new engine in the next 2 years. It seems unlikely. You have experience with the E class, so understand the maintenance and costs of German vehicles, and why they are worth it for us. I waffle a lot talking about extended warranties, sorry.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by rumb
Stens pretty much nailed it. He's spot on. We have the 19" wheels that look great, but that 35 profile tires seems asking for wheel and tire damages to me. I shudder every time I hit a pot hole. I've done one B service to mine, pretty straight forward to change cabin and air filter, oil change easy. took 45 minutes though to figure out how to reset service indicator. (2014) seems to me the magic missing step was start car, turn off car and then follow the instructions posted else where that all assume you use a key to start car, but we have keyless.
AMEN on the tire and rim damage! I hit a pot hole at 70mph on I-95 Thanksgiving Day. Instant flat /blow out on my right front tire (Mich Pilot sports). Good news is wheel didn't crack, and just cut the tire and the car never wobbled or acted like losing control and safely made it to shoulder. Bad news is, Rim is bent in 4 places and tire is dead. I love the car and it is very reliable (although my start/stop quit working but who cares about that). With the roads today I'm debating whether it is worth keeping the car. This will be the third rim to go on the right side.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
cls550 2014
https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...protection.pdf

I dont know for sure, I think it is something like $1200 for 2 years? dont really know.

would take about 1 1/2 wheel/tire replacements to cover the cost.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cls550
New to the MB world cls550 C218

Great information

Last edited by Tminusoftexas; 12-09-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Posted wrong spot