Anyone go for RENNTech's Intermediate Tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 06:09 PM

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 CLS550 4Matic
Anyone go for RENNTech's Intermediate Tune?

Hi there, I have a 2016 CLS with M278 engine with a couple of years of warranty left and I'm interested in getting a tune to improve throttle response, and performance, but don't want to overly stress my drive-train or impact reliability so I'm thinking the RENNtech intermediate tune is ideal for me... about 50HP/150LB-FT that will work with normal 91-octane pump gas. Here's the link:
https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...s550-fl-detail

I'm thinking it should give me a nice boost in performance, maintain reliability, and I like the trust and reputation they have, even though they are more expensive, I'm willing to pay more for some peace-of-mind and hopefully reducing my chances of having a bad experience. Apparently they can also disable the Eco mode default at startup and I can later upgrade to the full tune for the difference in price if I choose to.

I'm wondering if anyone else has gone this route? Or what others think of my approach to this.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
I was going to get Rentech on my CLS55 way back in the day but simply wasn't worth the money with other dealers providing it at much cheaper cost. I assume it will be the same case in this matter that you are just paying for the name. I personally do tunes now and plan on getting my CLS in a week or two, which 150HP and 200TQ gains for $900.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:32 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by djrabbi
I was going to get Rentech on my CLS55 way back in the day but simply wasn't worth the money with other dealers providing it at much cheaper cost. I assume it will be the same case in this matter that you are just paying for the name. I personally do tunes now and plan on getting my CLS in a week or two, which 150HP and 200TQ gains for $900.
For the most part, this is a pretty typical response I’ve seen on threads like this talking about tunes. And if you don’t mind I have a ton of questions. Some directed at you, but some that are just general tuning related questions...

When you say you do tunes, you mean you create tunes or you flash other company tunes to your own ECUs? I will have some different questions for you, if you don’t mind, once I know what you mean by this statement.

Do you know how the tune you’re considering achieves that much power? (That’s a rather hefty 50% increase in power) there has to be some trade-offs right? That kind of power gain is not just going to magically appear for free. There’s going to be changes like higher boost levels or advanced timing and those are going to stress things right? What gas does that tune run on? What plugs/gaps? How often will the plugs and coils need to be replaced? What are the chances of misfires or limp mode occurring? Can the tranny and differentials and CV joints take that torque consistently in first gear - for how long?

Does anyone consider any of this when selecting a tune or it’s just the tune with the highest performance gain regardless how they got it, or how long the various related engine and drive train components last?

I see this a lot on the forums... that with RennTech you’re just paying for the name. In my experience, paying for the name, usually but not always, has some merit. For example, I’ve heard people say if you buy Apple, BMW, Mercedes, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Leica or other top brands, you’re just paying for the name. Certainly these brands charge a premium and make larger margins on lower sales volumes, but you usually do get a better experience, whether it’s in the design, the performance, integration, prestige, or the service. So are you just putting RennTech down the way many people I know would say the same thing about Apple, for example? Or are you saying there’s truly nothing special in your mind about RennTech that’s worth paying any extra for?

RennTech do have a relationship with Mercedes, they did have a founder (maybe still do) that was formerly at AMG, and they have a good reputation from what I’ve seen, is that not worth anything in selecting a tune?

RennTech is to Mercedes as Dinan is to BMW... true?
The following users liked this post:
click430 (05-22-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 07:43 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Has anyone even considered this intermediate tune?
Old 05-19-2018, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 CLS550, 2014 E350, 2014 GLK 350
I’ve certainly considered it. I wouldn’t want to trash my drivetrain. They claim 700 ft-lbs for stage 2 tune. I’m afraid that may be too much power for my 9 speed tranny. The 12 cylinder models put out about 700 and I think they all use the 7 speed. I haven’t decided on anything yet.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
It’s definitely something I’ve been considering over the full tune. Just enough to offset what is lost with the 4matic, but not too much risking the drive train.

Last edited by wmkizer; 08-05-2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-05-2018, 01:41 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by wmkizer
It’s definitely something I’ve been considering over the full tune. Just enough to offset what is lost with the 4matic, but not too much risking the drive train.
Yeah it will get you close to 500HP and 600 ft-lb which is plenty of power without living on the edge of reliability.

Lately, I’ve started considering OETunings Stage 1 tune that ends up with similar power gains. Slightly more but not excessive. And when OE is on sale, I can get a second ECU AND a tune for the price of a Renntech tune. Since I still have 2 years of warranty left, having a 2nd stock ECU on hand seems like a wise move. I’m not sure yet what direction to go.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
if you are concerned about warranty, then get a renntech tune from a Mercedes dealer. Aristocrat (the MB dealer in Kansas City) is an authorized Renntech dealer and any renntech upgrades you do through them are not only fully warrantied, but they do NOT affect the original MB warranty in any way.

having said that, if you aren't concerned about the warranty then go elsewhere for cheaper.

most tunes are going to create more power by upping the boast level and adjusting the timing. You can also create more power by leaning out the fuel mixture, but you take additional risks there.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 GLE400
but they do NOT affect the original MB warranty in any way

I believe that Mercedes Benz LLC will tell you a different story. This has been discussed for years on this and other forums. To my knowledge, Mercedes authorizes NO AFTERMARKET TUNES, and can bounce driveline warranty coverage on a tuned vehicle. The only advantage I see in a tune purchased at a Mercedes dealer: The dealer is the gate-keeper for warranty repairs. As long as Mercedes doesn't know of the tune, likely no problem. But you end up with a holed piston or a smoked tranny, and Mercedes investigates, you are toast. And don't doubt Mercedes knows which dealers are selling tunes.

The OE Tuning products with which we have experience, and certainly Renntech, have been thoroughly tested and will likely not result in any issues. But make no mistake, safety margins are narrowed, limits pushed, and fuel quality and octane requirements become critical. And if you are enough of a heathen, you can break things. Driven with a little bit of common sense and attention to proper (maybe slightly accelerated) maintenance intervals, you should be fine with either tune. Just don't expect Mercedes to pick up the tab after a weekend at the drags and something lets go.

Last edited by GermanCars; 09-24-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:23 PM

2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
Originally Posted by GermanCars
but they do NOT affect the original MB warranty in any way

I believe that Mercedes Benz LLC will tell you a different story. This has been discussed for years on this and other forums. To my knowledge, Mercedes authorizes NO AFTERMARKET TUNES, and can bounce driveline warranty coverage on a tuned vehicle. The only advantage I see in a tune purchased at a Mercedes dealer: The dealer is the gate-keeper for warranty repairs. As long as Mercedes doesn't know of the tune, likely no problem. But you end up with a holed piston or a smoked tranny, and Mercedes investigates, you are toast. And don't doubt Mercedes knows which dealers are selling tunes.

The OE Tuning products with which we have experience, and certainly Renntech, have been thoroughly tested and will likely not result in any issues. But make no mistake, safety margins are narrowed, limits pushed, and fuel quality and octane requirements become critical. And if you are enough of a heathen, you can break things. Driven with a little bit of common sense and attention to proper (maybe slightly accelerated) maintenance intervals, you should be fine with either tune. Just don't expect Mercedes to pick up the tab after a weekend at the drags and something lets go.
My friend bought a brand new CLS 63 in 2014 that had every single Renntech option put on the car (tune, larger turbos, exhaust, etc.). Shortly before his car was about to go off warranty he had the entire engine replaced with a new one because of high oil consumption. This was at Aristocrat in Kansas City. If you read their website it specifically states "RENNtech performance parts do not alter the Mercedes-Benz manufacturer warranty as long as they are installed by a RENNtech authorized installer." you can view that exact sentence and other info about the dealer's program here https://www.aristocratmotors.com/ren...formance-parts

Old 09-25-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cl500
Originally Posted by carguyshu
My friend bought a brand new CLS 63 in 2014 that had every single Renntech option put on the car (tune, larger turbos, exhaust, etc.). Shortly before his car was about to go off warranty he had the entire engine replaced with a new one because of high oil consumption. This was at Aristocrat in Kansas City. If you read their website it specifically states "RENNtech performance parts do not alter the Mercedes-Benz manufacturer warranty as long as they are installed by a RENNtech authorized installer." you can view that exact sentence and other info about the dealer's program here https://www.aristocratmotors.com/ren...formance-parts
Would this happen to be a white one? I've only seen one CLS63 and it's white and looks awesome!
Old 09-25-2018, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by bhdien
Would this happen to be a white one? I've only seen one CLS63 and it's white and looks awesome!
no. its black and has the multispoke renntech wheels. guy lives in Topeka.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 GLE400
"RENNtech performance parts do not alter the Mercedes-Benz manufacturer warranty as long as they are installed by a RENNtech authorized installer."

I was not aware of any such arrangement with Mercedes and stand corrected. They may have a deal similar to Dinan/BMW. Dinan takes responsibility for the warranty for the modified components and BMW continues to cover the balance. However they do it, that certainly gives the customer a huge load of peace of mind. It also goes some way as to explaining the high cost of the RENNtech product line. Standing behind the modified driveline components to the extent of the factory warranty period has got to be a significant exposure.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:12 AM

2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
Hey VirtulRain,

there's an update to the RennTech website. They now do OBD2 port tuning via a handheld for all updates. No longer have to go to a garage or send parts out for updates!! Both the Full tune and the partial tune are $2480.00 now.

Here's the descriptor:

RENNtech HHT (hand held tuner) allows you the unlimited ability to switch between tuned and stock ECU programming and requires no ECU removal!

Our proprietary tuning module stores both the RENNtech tuned file and your vehicles stock file. The module plugs directly into the OBD2 port and delivers the file you choose directly to the ECU. Programming takes only a few minutes and the vehicle can be reflashed at any time as many times as you wish.

Our proprietary ECU upgrade for the Mercedes M278 Biturbo engine offers huge gains in performance across the entire RPM range without sacrificing around town comfort or daily driver reliability.

With the newest update of their Software Upgrade for the M278 – 4.7L V8 BiTurbo, RENNtech boosts the 550-Series to AMG Power Levels. The RENNtech upgraded M278 now produces up to 540 HP and 705 LB-FT at crank.

Compared to power numbers by Mercedes-Benz, the CLS 550 gains up to 105 HP and 262 LB-FT. This Software update delivers up to 10 HP and 99 LB-FT more than the previous version.

The vast amount of increased torque across the entire RPM range gives the 550 an extra edge to compete with AMG powered vehicles. All this without sacrificing around town comfort and daily driver reliability.

https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...s/mb/cls-class
Old 04-19-2019, 05:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 W212 E550
Nice catch, @wmkizer , but going back to the original question. Does anyone have personal experience with the Intermediate tune? I've got a stock W212 E550 and am thinking it may be better for long term durability (vs. the full tune). Really curious to hear what folks have to say about the modest power bump...
The following users liked this post:
SevenT7 (08-05-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 06:52 PM

2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
well that's the route I'll be going when I finish off paying the factory extended warranty I was fortunate enough to just be offered. I'm good to go for 100K and 3 more years.

But yes, the intermediate route is the way I'd like to go for the same reasons as before; less strain on the system. But Renntech is Mercedes friendly so a no brainer for me! Sorry, I can't offer you experience yet...
Old 04-20-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CLS550
I think Renntech removed the intermediate tune from the online store...
Old 04-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 W212 E550
https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...e550-fl-detail
Old 04-20-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CLS550
right, that’s the product page, not the store page. Also that’s not for CLS550 You can’t put it into the shopping cart.