Front of car drops when not running. airmatic, no air leaks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 04:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 CLS550
Front of car drops when not running. airmatic, no air leaks

I already posted this in a Facebook group but I'm looking for more input.

I have an interesting airmatic problem. Front end of the car lowers slowly and evenly over time (12+ hours) when the batteries are connected. It'll drop to a certain level and stop. It will not bottom out to the bump stops.

When batteries were disconnected for 36 hours the car maintained it's height. I also sprayed soapy water on all the air line connections. There are no air leaks. Both battery voltages check out and airmatic appears to operate properly when the engine is running.

I'm leaning toward intermittent height sensors or wiring but looking for additional opinions before I start replacing parts.

Anyone have a similar issue? I don't have a diagnostic computer to cycle the airmatic or ping the sensors so I can't diagnose much further.

Thanks! (Pic from tail of the dragon in Tennessee, USA)

Old 04-08-2024, 02:58 PM

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
2013 Weistec 540/715 tuned CLS 550, 2008 E350, and '07 Jaguar S-Type R
Sorry nobody is replying - this site is seeing very little traffic.
My 2013 CLS550 w/61K miles has started dropping all the way down in the rear after sitting for a couple days - but only sometimes(!) It can sit for several days and not drop at all. No codes, no sound of escaping air.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:13 PM

2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by DigitalDisaster
Sorry nobody is replying - this site is seeing very little traffic.
My 2013 CLS550 w/61K miles has started dropping all the way down in the rear after sitting for a couple days - but only sometimes(!) It can sit for several days and not drop at all. No codes, no sound of escaping air.
Replace both rear bags. I had the same issue last year and it was leaking from the connection to the bags. I could wiggle the connection and the leak would be intermittent. You can probably fix it by replacing the o-rings but then you would be reinstalling 10-year-old bags that will probably begin to leak again next year anyway.

As for my problem now, I ordered both height sensors and will replace them next week. I will report back with my results for the benefit of the group.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the update. My car is going in Wednesday and will probably have the cam position sensor housings leaks addressed also $$$$
I guess it's the price to pay to drive a cool car. Just spent $5K on my wife's Jag a few months ago. Sometimes a Toyota Camry sounds good. Sometimes
The following users liked this post:
RavenCLS (04-12-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 05:49 PM

2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by DigitalDisaster
Thanks for the update. My car is going in Wednesday and will probably have the cam position sensor housings leaks addressed also $$$$
I guess it's the price to pay to drive a cool car. Just spent $5K on my wife's Jag a few months ago. Sometimes a Toyota Camry sounds good. Sometimes

I wouldn't own one of these cars if I couldn't do my own work. Like you said, super $$$. I still have to contend with the prices of parts, but the labor is all mine!
Old 04-11-2024, 02:30 PM

Took my car to Eurocar and since the rear is holding air and there's no codes, they can't do anything about the suspension issue. Fortunately, they found a timing chain cover oil leak, a radiator leak (or at least calcium buildup on one side tank), and are doing the 60K Service B trans fluid change, all for $2500 so far. I'm willing to bet that while my car sits there for 3 days, the rear will drop and they'll be into me for another $2K when they replace rear air springs : )
Old 04-13-2024, 04:03 PM

Well, the car never dropped. These guys are honest, saying they didn't want to replace the rear airsprings without proof they are bad. Most shops would have replaced them without a second thought. Anyone in the Phoenix area, Eurocar has earned my business - they did a great job at a reasonable price and returned my car clean
Old 04-21-2024, 06:33 PM

2014 CLS550
I promised an update:

The height sensors did not fix the problem. I once again disconnected the batteries, this time leaving the car for 3 days. It did not drop, so it verifies there are no air leaks.

I'll have to bring the car in to have someone diagnose the system to see if it's a wiring or controller issue.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:42 PM

2014 CLS550
Update:

Interesting development. I started parking on the other side of my driveway and my problem seems to have stopped. I think what's happening is the entry to my driveway is inclined and pulling in is upsetting the airmatic as it tries to compensate. I noticed that my driver's side front tire is abnormally high when I park. I think what happens is that the passenger side has equally low air. The car deflates the driver's side until it's equal with the passenger side. It ends up being low. Moving to the opposite side of the driveway for some reason isn't upsetting the suspension as much. I haven't the slightest why this problem just started presenting itself but I can find no more issues with the car.

Ah well, money saved
Old 05-06-2024, 01:49 PM

Interesting. My car has yet to drop, although it rarely sits for more than 3 days. I was working in the garage the other day when the rear purge valve suddenly vented very briefly - weird. The car had not been moved for days.
Glad your car (and mine) is doing well for the time being : )