CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

MB Color Description (Pewter, Iridium Grey, etc)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool MB Color Description (Pewter, Iridium Grey, etc)

After getting our Pewter CLS500 and after seeing the Indium Grey US Launch Edition at the dealership, here are my impressions and descriptions of the silver/grey colors available for the CLS500 in the USA.

Pewter (723)
Sunny days = dark silver with a touch of brown
Cloudy days = dark silver

NOTE: Pewter looks more like dark silver with a touch of sand on OTHER models (e.g. C-series), but looks dark silver with a touch of brown on the CLS and SLK. Not sure if the color code or lighting conditions is to explain for the color change? Go figure.

Granite Grey (747)
Sunny days = light silver with a blue tint (refection from the blue in the sky)
Cloudy days = slightly darker silver than Iridium Silver

Iridium Silver (775)
Sunny days = light silver with a light grey tint (lighter than MB Brilliant Silver which it replaces)
Cloudy days = light silver with a light grey tint

Indium Grey aka Iridium Grey, Irridium Grey (963)
Sunny days = brownish metallic color (darker and browner than Pewter)
Cloudy days = brownish metallic color (darker and browner than Pewter)
NOTE: Indium Grey is only available in the US in the Launch Edition package

My personal favorite silver/grey color for the CLS500 is either the Iridium Silver or the Pewter (which also may be called Pearl Grey in Europe?). Personally I think the Indium Grey in the Launch Edition too brown and Granite Grey too blue.

Last edited by heyzeus123; 04-14-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:39 PM

CLS 500 Launch Edition, 03 Navigator, 02 F-250
I have the Indium Grey Launch edition and it seems like a different color every 20 minutes.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:03 AM

'01 BMW e39 540i, '06 M-B R171 SLK55
The two colors I am currently pitting in a fight to the death for my affection are the Iridium twins (but which is the evil one?)

I was able to poke at an Iridium Silver CLS at the dealership tonight. While I was impressed by how it blinded me with reflected fluorescence, in the end it is in essence the shade that will become the 'standard' for the Silver Arrow brand, i.e. a little staid for my pursuit of vehicular personality.

On the other hand... though I enjoy the way I have painted an Iridium Grey CLS in my hopefully non-color blind mind, I am still not fully sure I know what to expect when seeing such a large piece of metal dipped in it. Even with the aid of those little painted half-pipes on the wall at the dealership, I could not picture it. And that makes me a little nervous; it is not like an overcooked steak where you can send it back to the kitchen, disgusted look on face, and receive a comp'ed dessert. With spit in it. At least it was free.

The fight rages on but thus far I am leaning towards Iridium Grey ever so slightly... Thank you heyzeus123 and bwarner for givings us your insights. Hopefully there will be more comments (and pictures?) in this thread from others.

Though I do understand it is something best decided in person, I may not have the opportunity to conduct such extensive research before my impatience seizes me.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:35 AM

2010 599 HGTE, 2009 LP560-4, 2010 Range Rover Sport SC
if youre OK with Brown, the Indium on the lanuch is that. i went with silver, ive always done silver cars, and while i agree the majority out there are silver, i added my own personal touches to individualize my CLS and couldnt be happier. see attached Lanuch Ed. CLS on Avus wheels.
Attached Thumbnails MB Color Description (Pewter, Iridium Grey, etc)-clsavus5-launched.jpg  
Old 04-15-2005, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL-500 (mine), Ferrari Spider convertible (was Husbands, mine now!)
Very nice discription of the colours.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by heyzeus123
After getting our Pewter CLS500 and after seeing the Indium Grey US Launch Edition at the dealership, here are my impressions and descriptions of the silver/grey colors available for the CLS500 in the USA.

Pewter (723)
Sunny days = dark silver with a touch of brown
Cloudy days = dark silver

NOTE: Pewter looks more like dark silver with a touch of sand on OTHER models (e.g. C-series), but looks dark silver with a touch of brown on the CLS and SLK. Not sure if the color code or lighting conditions is to explain for the color change? Go figure.

Granite Grey (747)
Sunny days = light silver with a blue tint (refection from the blue in the sky)
Cloudy days = slightly darker silver than Iridium Silver

Iridium Silver (775)
Sunny days = light silver with a light grey tint (lighter than MB Brilliant Silver which it replaces)
Cloudy days = light silver with a light grey tint

Indium Grey aka Iridium Grey, Irridium Grey (963)
Sunny days = brownish metallic color (darker and browner than Pewter)
Cloudy days = brownish metallic color (darker and browner than Pewter)
NOTE: Indium Grey is only available in the US in the Launch Edition package

My personal favorite silver/grey color for the CLS500 is either the Iridium Silver or the Pewter (which also may be called Pearl Grey in Europe?). Personally I think the Indium Grey in the Launch Edition too brown and Granite Grey too blue.
Any chance of some pics of the pewter? Im trying to decide on grey vs pewter vs silver. thanx
Old 08-15-2005, 01:39 PM

Indium grey lauch edition excellent photo

I love this photo and it is the reason I selected Indium Grey.
Attached Thumbnails MB Color Description (Pewter, Iridium Grey, etc)-grey-side-front-view.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 05:10 PM

SEPT 2005 CLS 320CDI,
I have always bought Black Mercedes, my car, my wife's new SLK (Black)however after seeing the Indium grey on two cars at seperate dealers, I was convinced it was the colour for me, you love it or hate it