CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

satellite radio antenna

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
satellite radio antenna

Can anyone tell me how the antenna for Sirius factory option looks on a CLS500? A picture would be most helpful. Is it color coded to the exterior paint?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:14 PM

Airbus
This was posted awhile back.
Look a few posts down and you will see a picture of the dealer installed antenna. Rumor has it that the factory install antenna was much bigger and on the trunk.(May have changed since then)

Dealer Install Sat Radio Antenna.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
That dealer installed antenna is not an "official" part. If you go anywhere else other than the dealer that installed (including maybe even that dealer), you will probably have warranty issues if there's a problem with the radio. Also the connector issue, and so on, which have all been discussed in the past (anyone who is interested can search on that topic for further information).

Here are pictures of the "official" antennas. The large black antenna is the old part; the smaller antenna is newer, and is available in many different colors. We've only been able to obtain six colors (two being natural black and primered), but we've got on order some of the other colors and are waiting to see if they get delivered.

The smaller antenna can be used to replace an installation with the larger antenna. Replacing the larger antenna will cost about $100 in parts if you have a color that is available (iridium silver, pewter, white, black). Add the cost of painting a primered version, or going with the black plastic version (same finish as the large one, and what people who use aftermarket antennas get).

-s-

Old 05-11-2005, 07:17 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Perhaps a stupid question, but what happens if you don't want Sirius but XM?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by branmin
Perhaps a stupid question, but what happens if you don't want Sirius but XM?
You go to Circuit City, Best Buy, or Walmart (or wherever) and have it installed in a non-integrated fashion (probably with hacked-in wiring).

-s-
Old 05-11-2005, 09:26 PM

Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Forgive my ignorance, althought I think I know what you mean..but what exactly is "hacked in wiring"..................Originally my dealer said something about it being set up purely to accept Sirius only, through the Command screen and I didn't understand this fully. Also, surely they don't have just Sirius(if at all) in Germany? By having my guy install XM are there any negatives in having an outsider do this opposed to the Sirius factory option?
TIA
Old 05-11-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
By having my guy install XM are there any negatives in having an outsider do this opposed to the Sirius factory option?
Any negatives? Are you kidding? Do you really want some stupid display screwed or otherwise attached to your interior? And then, you have an antenna that is going to be run into the interior through some way not intended either, which is going to look funky and could cause a water/wind noise too. Not to mention that the installer is going to have to cut into the speaker wires, etc.

And, thinking about Best Buy or whoever else's free installation, what do you think you are going to get there? Some knucklehead is going to spend five minutes slapping things into place with no care whatsoever.

On the other hand, with the factory set up, you get a warranty, it's neat, clean and seamless, the way it was intended.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:06 PM

On the other hand, with the factory set up, you get a warranty, it's neat, clean and seamless, the way it was intended.

OK, OK.....get the point, loud and clear........................But what I was trying to ask originally.................does it have to be SIRIUS?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:21 AM

so if i order a cls with sirius from the factory, what antenna will it come with, or will it depend on the dealer and what it chooses to install?

never mind, I think I get it...factory goes on trunk with new smaller trunk lid mounted antenna

Last edited by superflysocal; 05-12-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:24 AM

can anyone post a picture of what the current factory installed antenna looks like on a cls?

just wondering how the small one looks on sloped trunk lid like the cls.

Last edited by superflysocal; 05-12-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Almost a Member!

'06 CLS 500 Granite/Black
As the owner of the CLS with the smaller antenna...I believe you are mistaken in regards to the reference of having "warranty" issues with the smaller Terk Antenna.

The kit which was installed in my car was all bundled with MB part #'s including the smaller antenna. The service manager at my dealership informed me they were briefed about this new kit at a seminar and others may not be familiar of it's availability.

Once you see the factory version of the antenna you realize there is no way you want that huge thing stuck on the back of your brand new CLS.

As far as XM is concerned, you could always use an FM modulator...that way the only wires you will need to run will be for power and the antenna plug loops into your radio...no cutting of wires.

The one major drawback to the FM Modulator solution is sound quality...although it will sound ok....it will not sound great.

My .02.....do with it what you want.

Fast Drivin....Music Pumpin....CLS Stylin'....Squid
Old 05-12-2005, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KidSquid
As the owner of the CLS with the smaller antenna...I believe you are mistaken in regards to the reference of having "warranty" issues with the smaller Terk Antenna.

The kit which was installed in my car was all bundled with MB part #'s including the smaller antenna. The service manager at my dealership informed me they were briefed about this new kit at a seminar and others may not be familiar of it's availability.
Hmm, I am pretty certain that antenna is

1) Terk
2) For XM
3) If it has an MB part number, it will be on the bottom. Since that one is magnetically attached, you can just look on the bottom and let us know this MB part number so that we can all order them. This is the first place a dealership will look when trying to replace an "unfamiliar" part. If it doesn't have an MB logo on it, then it's not... "OEM".

I am pretty familiar with what's available especially in the satellite radio parts area. And the picture I posted is of the new "smaller" antennas, as we got them as soon as they were available.

It's not unusual for dealers to give you the complete untruth, and if they did in fact give you that story, then you probably have been duped.

-s-