CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

HELP: 2007 Option: Run Flat Tire with Low Pressure Warning System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: 2007 Option: Run Flat Tire with Low Pressure Warning System

MBUSA site is listing as an option: Run Flat Tire, COUPLED with the low pressure warning system. (For a surprisingly low $210.)

I am planning on a 2007 CLS 550. I think the low presssure warning system is valuable, but am not too keen on the run flat tires (noise, harsh ride, etc.).

I will of course check with dealers eventually, but for now: Does anyone know if the Benz low pressure monitoring system works well at all? And is it available independent of the run flat tires?

(My current car is a 2006 Porsche 911, and its pressure monitoring system works very well.)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
2007 Options
Run-Flat Tires with Low-Pressure Warning System
Extended-mobility tires (not shown), a CLS550 option, can be driven a limited distance after a loss of air pressure in a tire. The low-pressure warning system alerts the driver if a loss of pressure has occurred.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:47 PM
cda

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG CLS53
Originally Posted by cannga
MBUSA site is listing as an option: Run Flat Tire, COUPLED with the low pressure warning system. (For a surprisingly low $210.)

I am planning on a 2007 CLS 550. I think the low presssure warning system is valuable, but am not too keen on the run flat tires (noise, harsh ride, etc.).

I will of course check with dealers eventually, but for now: Does anyone know if the Benz low pressure monitoring system works well at all? And is it available independent of the run flat tires?

(My current car is a 2006 Porsche 911, and its pressure monitoring system works very well.)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
2007 Options
Run-Flat Tires with Low-Pressure Warning System
Extended-mobility tires (not shown), a CLS550 option, can be driven a limited distance after a loss of air pressure in a tire. The low-pressure warning system alerts the driver if a loss of pressure has occurred.
I apologize for being off topic, but are you trading in your 911 for the CLS? I am thinking of getting a 911 to replace my CLS, and I am wondering if u have any issues with the Porsche - driving, comfort, etc.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by cda
....but are you trading in your 911 for the CLS
Only when hell freezes over.
The CLS is for my wife.
I have no problem whatsoever with the 911. However, I should stress please do not look for comfort in the 911. It's comfortable enough for a daily sports car, but it's no CLS with respect to ride softness. (It's not meant to be.)
If you talk about steering feel, handling, response, brake, acceleration, etc., however, then the choice would be obvious.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:29 AM
cda

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG CLS53
Only when hell freezes over.
The CLS is for my wife.
I have no problem whatsoever with the 911. However, I should stress please do not look for comfort in the 911. It's comfortable enough for a daily sports car, but it's no CLS with respect to ride softness. (It's not meant to be.)
If you talk about steering feel, handling, response, brake, acceleration, etc., however, then the choice would be obvious.
lol - thanks for the response. I knew the cars were different animals in just about every way, but if the ride was noisy and uncomfortable, it wouldn't make sense for me. My CLS is the first car I have bought I didn't have to shift (owned BMW's for 20 years). Thanks again
Old 08-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Does anyone know if the Benz low pressure monitoring system works well at all? And is it available independent of the run flat tires?
LPW was standard on the 06 CLS and works perfectly as far as I’m concerned. Received two warnings thus far and both were because the dealer attempted to correct tire pressure while the tires were hot in effect raising the pressure. I check the tires monthly after allowing the tires to cool down overnight.

I understand LPW uses current ABS sensors and measures rotational force differences between each wheel. I’m not certain but I want to say it may be possible to activate LPW through STAR therefore circumventing having to order RFT.

Contact for confirmation: https://mbworld.org/forums/members/1384-mbenznl.html or https://mbworld.org/forums/members/9235-sunilp.html
Old 08-30-2006, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by konigstiger
LPW was standard on the 06 CLS and works perfectly as far as I’m concerned. Received two warnings thus far and both were because the dealer attempted to correct tire pressure while the tires were hot in effect raising the pressure. I check the tires monthly after allowing the tires to cool down overnight.

I understand LPW uses current ABS sensors and measures rotational force differences between each wheel. I’m not certain but I want to say it may be possible to activate LPW through STAR therefore circumventing having to order RFT.

Contact for confirmation: https://mbworld.org/forums/members/1384-mbenznl.html or https://mbworld.org/forums/members/9235-sunilp.html
Yes, low pressure warning can be activated on that car after delivery.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:25 AM

CLS55
You may be able to activate the system that works off of the abs sensors measuring tire diameter... but I would imagine that what they are selling is the tire pressure sensor monitors in each wheel which will offer you individual tire pressures on the dash while driving. some 06 owners have spent 2000 to retrofit that option.

its not the same exact thing and the version on my 06 which is activated thru the star is fairly useless so far... but i haven't got a flat yet either!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:01 AM
Almost a Member!

Question please: How sure are you that the 2007 option listed is different from the 2006's? The 2007 option costs a mere $200 so I would think that it's the simple "tire diameter" system (as in previous year), NOT an actual tire pressure sensor monitor (as in my P 911).

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dogshine
You may be able to activate the system that works off of the abs sensors measuring tire diameter... but I would imagine that what they are selling is the tire pressure sensor monitors in each wheel which will offer you individual tire pressures on the dash while driving. some 06 owners have spent 2000 to retrofit that option.

its not the same exact thing and the version on my 06 which is activated thru the star is fairly useless so far... but i haven't got a flat yet either!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Question please: How sure are you that the 2007 option listed is different from the 2006's? The 2007 option costs a mere $200 so I would think that it's the simple "tire diameter" system (as in previous year), NOT an actual tire pressure sensor monitor (as in my P 911).

Thanks.
For $200 all you get is software (may also include special tires). The older hardware system is no longer being promoted (phased out).
Old 09-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Thank you. You (and everyone else of course) have been very helpful.

Originally Posted by benzmodz
For $200 all you get is software (may also include special tires). The older hardware system is no longer being promoted (phased out).