CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Major Break Dust!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Break Dust!!!

2006 CLS, I can literally drive 1 mile, and brake dust is all over the chrome on my rims, any1 else with this problem??? And yes I know that brake pads are the issue, I've changed them from MB brake pads to some other brake pads, and then recently back to dealership MB pads but still the same problem....
Old 05-21-2007, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Dark colored rims hide break dust

Short of using opening the door and stopping with feet power, you will get break dust. Dark colored rims with hide it, but it's still there.

Least amount of dust is with carbon metallics or ceramics. Ceramics have a tendency to collect little droplets of light colored dust on the rim.

What made you change back to the MB pads from your 1st change out?

Just to let you know you are in good company, It takes me about 8 minutes a rim to thoroughly wash and clean my 2 piece AMG stock rims. You got to clean behind and beyond and the spokes and clean the hub as well, or else you have a sexy car that is less than sexy. Sometimes I do it 2 or 3 times a week depending on mileage and time.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:57 PM

06 CLS, 06 Chevy ZQ8, 07 Chevy TBSS (05 BMW M3,SOLD, 02 BMW 4.6,SOLD.
I went with Porterfields

I changed my front and rears with the Porterfield pads and have very little brake dust. I agree with m_berman i dust my inners wheels and hubs every time I drive the CLS. Nothing like having a nice set of wheels bolted to rusty and dirty rotors. Good luck

Last edited by larryv; 01-24-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL63
Originally Posted by larryv
I changed my front and rears with the Porterfield pads and have very little brake dust. I agree with m_berman i dust my inners wheels and hubs every time I drive the CLS. Nothing like having a nice set of wheels bolted to rusty and dirty rotors. Good luck
I agree with Larry.. because of him i switched to porterfields on the fronts and i should have did the rear as well.. maybe when i have time to do the paint job on the rear rotors i'll change out the pads to porterfields as well.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 CLS500 w/ AMG
htown, i haven't been on the forums much lately, but noticed you finally got your wheels on. From what I can tell, fresh and poppin, my friend. PM me some more pics or send me the link to where you posted em.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL63
thanks doc.. i will PM you a few pics.. I havent posted on the board yet because the photos i took were on a day that was overcast and the car was dirty.. I'm out of town on the job so when i get back I will take some really nice one's to post up on the board.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Htowncls
I agree with Larry.. because of him i switched to porterfields on the fronts and i should have did the rear as well.. maybe when i have time to do the paint job on the rear rotors i'll change out the pads to porterfields as well.
Man, well i guess porterfield it is then, any specific model and exact item I should ask for..... Looked on their website and seen different models...Kinda just dont wanna walk in somewhere looking for something I dont know exact down to the model i need......Call it LMAO!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by BAYCLS
any specific model and exact item I should ask for..... Looked on their website and seen different models...Kinda just dont wanna walk in somewhere looking for something I dont know exact down to the model i need......
Fronts: AP 847 R4-S (Porterfield $169.95)
Rears: AP 986 R4-S ($119.95)

Any further questions http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/contact.html