CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

S550 or CLS550

Old 01-01-2009, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz E320
S550 or CLS550

I am in the market for a 2007 S550 or CLS550. I like the style of both cars. I just can't decide which one to buy. Has anyone else been faced with this decision?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,412 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
S550 = sheer luxury at its best a “statement” if you will
CLS550 = luxurious “showstopper” however, restricted rear passenger room (room not comfort).
Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 CLS550 Diamond White 09upgrades
Lightbulb What's important to you?

is it $$? Apperance? your age? (not the young at heart answer either; the age on your driver license)

Features that would distinguish the two

S550 -

1. get parktronic it got that new system that will bring the car to a stop then go again at the tap of the gas peddle.

2. COMAND is new version w/ rearview camera

3. NEW cluster like a tv screen w/ possible night vision

4. other cool stuff

5. notice u're in snow territory so 4matic is an option here

CON: dont' know any because i picked the CLS550.

CLS550
1. damn sexy
2. damn sexy on the outside & inside
3. damn sexy ... ooo did i said that ealier

CONS:
1. it's a coup so visability is not so great = no backup camera makes it worst
2. compain about the sound system (except the White Diamond got an upgraded bangoloft ?? upgrade)
3. Manual lumbar support
4. lower grade leather seatings (except for AMG and the designo models)
5. harder to get in and out (age question will determine this )
6. some wind noises due to the frame-less windows

Okay hope this helps...and good luck! either car will make you happy. the question is how happy

Last edited by mbz4810; 01-02-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:10 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz E320
Money is not a question, I am 40 YOA, and I am a gadget person so I am kinda leaning toward the S550. You are correct the CLS550 is damn sexy. My only problem with that is I am married and that could get me into trouble.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
The CLS IMO.

It is sexy, and some cons listed here I have not experienced. I am married too, and the CLS is a good compromise with four doors, four seats, and a big trunk. If you are tall, as in over 6 feet you may have an issue with the CLS. I am 5'10" so no problem on entry or exit at all.

If by getting in trouble from the attention you mean, that will happen with the S or CLS. Keep it clean! LOL.The S is pure luxury, the CLS gives more of a "sporty" luxury feel and look. It all comes down to you.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:46 AM

I am 6'1" and I have no problems. Plus my hair it spikey so I am about 6'3" with my fro. The back is a bit cramped but then again, I come from a Phaeton and you could darn near stetch your legs out straight in the back and not hit the seat in front of you.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:27 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
go for the CLS, You will feel like an old man in the S Class.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
‘16 g550; '20 s560; '15 targa4s
i find this an interesting question - maily because i have been asking the same thing myself. however, i already have the 07 s550 4matic and love it. but recently - i've been thinking of trading it for a cls550 (or the cls 63 maybe) but everytime i get in to my s550 and drive over to the benzo dealer (or anywhere for that matter), i cannot get over how perfect this s550 is and refuse to entertain the idea of trading it. i cycle through this process every couple of months and keep coming to the same conclusion - the s550 stays. full stop. it is THE perfect automobile for me. in fact, i was at the benzo dealer this morning looking at a cls 63.

now, i am 40 yrs old and don't at all feel like an old man in the car. it is THE luxury car to own. the cls is damn sexy agreed; however, i cannot get past how comfortable, responsive, and "current" the s-class is. sometimes (even 2 years into ownership) i still get into the car and make up a reason to drive it (even with no where to go - purposefully). i've figured out the reason why i keep cycling through this decision is due to boredom (not with the car) but with things in general. also - i used to trade for new benzos every year - take the crazy hit on dep'n - because i thought i wanted a new car - i didn't - it was the aforementioned boredom. after i bought this s-class, i quit trading (to date anyway) because nothing beats this s550 in my opinion. go with the s550. you won't regret it.

by the way - i didn't do anything with the cls 63 today; i just had the dealership wash my s550 and i came home. happy as ever.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:32 AM

08 CLS550 Diamond White 09upgrades
Originally Posted by ajm0623
i find this an interesting question - maily because i have been asking the same thing myself. however, i already have the 07 s550 4matic and love it. but recently - i've been thinking of trading it for a cls550 (or the cls 63 maybe) but everytime i get in to my s550 and drive over to the benzo dealer (or anywhere for that matter), i cannot get over how perfect this s550 is and refuse to entertain the idea of trading it. i cycle through this process every couple of months and keep coming to the same conclusion - the s550 stays. full stop. it is THE perfect automobile for me. in fact, i was at the benzo dealer this morning looking at a cls 63.

now, i am 40 yrs old and don't at all feel like an old man in the car. it is THE luxury car to own. the cls is damn sexy agreed; however, i cannot get past how comfortable, responsive, and "current" the s-class is. sometimes (even 2 years into ownership) i still get into the car and make up a reason to drive it (even with no where to go - purposefully). i've figured out the reason why i keep cycling through this decision is due to boredom (not with the car) but with things in general. also - i used to trade for new benzos every year - take the crazy hit on dep'n - because i thought i wanted a new car - i didn't - it was the aforementioned boredom. after i bought this s-class, i quit trading (to date anyway) because nothing beats this s550 in my opinion. go with the s550. you won't regret it.

by the way - i didn't do anything with the cls 63 today; i just had the dealership wash my s550 and i came home. happy as ever.
Good choice AJM... I think the reason you are still happy with the S550 and it still seem fresh due to the fact that it was just redesigned when you got it so all the "Ooouuu Ahhh" factors are still there and you dont see a new model with minor improvement that iritates the crap out of you and makes you wanna go trade in for that new one.

as for the CLS63... i most definately would consider it with the S550 due to it's interior amenities (alcantera headlines, nice leather seats, AND DYNAMIC seats the side booster with cornering) and whoom whooom factors
Old 01-03-2009, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Originally Posted by konigstiger
S550 = sheer luxury at its best a “statement” if you will
CLS550 = luxurious “showstopper” however, restricted rear passenger room (room not comfort).
I could not have said it any better. You can save yourself a little money by going with the CLS, but you sacrifice comfort for the rear passengers. Also, you get a lot more "sport" with the CLS. I would think car for car, it really depends on if you need/want the rear seat room.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Honda Accord
I know that no one has posted here for a while but there something that you guys didn't talk about in the comparison.

I am also trying to decide between CLS550 and the S550. The only thing that is swaying me towards the S550 is that its AWD while the CLS550 is RWD. Can someone tell me what is their experience with driving these cars in the snow? I have never had a RWD car and almost everyone tells me that it is a pain in the *** to drive one in the snow.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:37 PM

You will def. need snow tires. But I had absolutely no issues in snow in the midwest with my blizzak tires.
Originally Posted by thedark_master
I know that no one has posted here for a while but there something that you guys didn't talk about in the comparison.

I am also trying to decide between CLS550 and the S550. The only thing that is swaying me towards the S550 is that its AWD while the CLS550 is RWD. Can someone tell me what is their experience with driving these cars in the snow? I have never had a RWD car and almost everyone tells me that it is a pain in the *** to drive one in the snow.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Honda Accord
k tnx. I got about a year or 2 until I make my decision on which one to get.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
When you do make your decision, go for the S Class. Not only is it Mercedes Benz's flagship sedan, it is the definition of class. I would never trade my S for a CLS, but if I had the money, I would buy both The S class is pretty amazing though and it is definitely an eye catcher, especially with all the new LED's. I think the CLS is better for.... well, I really don't know. It looks good ) I like the coupe profile but the S is so much larger. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:02 PM

Honda Accord
Originally Posted by amaycg
When you do make your decision, go for the S Class. Not only is it Mercedes Benz's flagship sedan, it is the definition of class. I would never trade my S for a CLS, but if I had the money, I would buy both The S class is pretty amazing though and it is definitely an eye catcher, especially with all the new LED's. I think the CLS is better for.... well, I really don't know. It looks good ) I like the coupe profile but the S is so much larger. Good luck!
Yes, I completely agree with you. it seems that the S is better in all of the things then the CLS except the look. I just dont like the rear lights of the S. kind of wish the S had the same back as the CLS.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:07 AM

c300
im only 22, what do you guys suggest, s550 or cls 55?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:07 PM

Merc CLS500 & BMW X3
The S550 is a larger, heavier,longer wheelbase and more expensive car than the CLS550 which is built on the E class platform. The S class must be at least 20K more expensive than the CLS. So comparing these two cars is rather difficult. They do have the same engine so I would assume that the CLS is faster due to it's weight advantage. The CLS looks more Bad *** than the S class--IMHO...Also--I beleive the current S class is a newer design than the current CLS so perhaps you should compare the new CLS when it is released.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:01 AM

X5 Xdrive50i
Originally Posted by thedark_master

Depends how much snow you get. All wheel drive makes it much easier but in moderate to light snow you can manage with rear wheel drive. Rear is a bit sportier. I think does a slightly better 0to60 too. I drove one (rear wheel drive) around in snow, kind of fun if you have a feel for it. Of course regular drivers would complain.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:45 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
I have both (well the cls is the 500). And I personally love my cls500 much more. Much more fun to drive I like the style better, everyone else that looks at it seems to like it. I look at the s550 as more of a family car... a damn expensive one but still a family car. My only complaint about the cls is the blind spots are ridiculous you really have to know that car and forget about getting any functionality out the back windows lol.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:42 PM

E350 4Matic S550
S550 Hands Down

Originally Posted by mbz4810
Good choice AJM... I think the reason you are still happy with the S550 and it still seem fresh due to the fact that it was just redesigned when you got it so all the "Ooouuu Ahhh" factors are still there and you dont see a new model with minor improvement that iritates the crap out of you and makes you wanna go trade in for that new one.

as for the CLS63... i most definately would consider it with the S550 due to it's interior amenities (alcantera headlines, nice leather seats, AND DYNAMIC seats the side booster with cornering) and whoom whooom factors
Man you will never ever go wrong with the S550 I get in my E350 and it feels like an oversized golf cart. No question S550 is undoubtedly my choice. I’m 6’1” 41 YOA